MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

That Evil Dead trilogy is something to behold, if you can "stomach" the blood and cheese. The first was great straight horror but the second is perfect. The third was great but not as good as the first.

Welcome to the human race...
Army of Darkness was my #9 and the first of my picks to crack the official list. Easily the weakest of the Evil Dead trilogy when it comes to pure horror, which does beg the question as to how much you can really nominate movies where the horror element is less emphasised than the others (see also: They Live). With that in mind, it still maintains the first two films' hyper-kinetic horror filmmaking while expanding the scope from Ash merely trying to survive a haunted cabin in the woods to becoming the reluctant hero in an epic battle between good and evil, escalating from one-on-one scraps with Deadites to resisting an entire army of skeletons led by his evil clone. It helps that Ash's "badass" credentials are effectively tempered by him being such a deliberately obnoxious butt-monkey where it's at least as much fun (if not more so) to see him get put through the wringer by his many enemies as it is to see him dropping one-liners as he defeats them, all of which is sold so well by Bruce Campbell being able to operate in all modes (whereas Tallahassee from Zombieland is almost entirely stuck in badass mode and comes across as a flatter, less enjoyable character as a result). As a result, I think it's worth questioning the merits of having badass protagonists in horror movies, especially to the point where it undermines any possible sense of horror the film has. Even nominally badass characters like Ash or Mac from The Thing are all the better for the flaws that undermine them personally but only make the film as a whole better.

As for It Follows, I saw it a few years ago and thought it was decent. Would not be averse to a second viewing.

Iro, you gonna mention Zombieland in every single post you make in this thread?

Just wondering, mind... because it got boring on the first post.

SC is watching the list unfold and he's complaining about the horrible lack of horror on this list so far.
I think there's only been a couple of films that are more borderline than what most would consider horror. Since the vast majority are clearly horror films though, I'm not sure why he's calling it horrible.
Not concerned by that. We've got a sound representation of Horror films, varying from ones by respected present-day filmmakers (Mother! 2017, Antichrist 2009, The Devil's Backbone 2001), to classic horror (I Walked With A Zombie 1943, Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde 1931), to successful and in-fashion modern horror (The Conjuring 2 2016, The House That Jack Built 2018, Ginger Snaps 2000), to in-favor seventies and eighties horror (The Last House On The Left 1972, Re-Animator 1985, Cannibal Holocaust 1980), a slasher movie (Friday The 13th Part III 1982), Italian horror (The Beyond 1981), ones bending more toward the fun meter (Zombieland 2009, They Live 1988, Army Of Darkness 1992), with the remainder going one of these many ways. It's a mix illustrating the preferences of the PLAYERS who are here.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	52797  

(whereas Tallahassee from Zombieland is almost entirely stuck in badass mode and comes across as a flatter, less enjoyable character as a result)
That's not accurate, though typing it sure took a lot less effort than you put into exploring Ash in Army Of Darkness.

Welcome to the human race...
Iro, you gonna mention Zombieland in every single post you make in this thread?

Just wondering, mind... because it got boring on the first post.
At least this time it was in response to...

Let the battle of Zombieland (2009) vs. Army Of Darkness (1992) open.
...but yes, even I'm finding it repetitive. I'm almost certain that a film I like even less will show up anyway.

That's not accurate, though typing it sure took a lot less effort than you put into exploring Ash in Army Of Darkness.
You'll have to excuse me if the film I saw once (maybe twice) about ten years ago doesn't get the same level of attention as one of my favourite films of all-time - besides, how is it inaccurate? Just because I didn't explicitly mention something like

WARNING: "Zombieland" spoilers below
the whole dead son backstory and how it informs his own slowly-developing surrogate father-daughter relationship with Little Rock

when I described him as "almost entirely" badass instead of just badass? Because I know it's there and I can only tell you that it ultimately doesn't matter to me anyway. That's not being inaccurate, that's acknowledging elements that are present in the context of a subjective opinion that the film as a whole does not work for me. This can be the last I say about it, but I'll let you decide that.

I think there's only been a couple of films that are more borderline than what most would consider horror. Since the vast majority are clearly horror films though, I'm not sure why he's calling it horrible.
(I was The Beyond trash. Not even sorry. )

I'm going to post SC's comments if he makes them, because this list is something he cared about and was the last thing he really did on this site. His vote is counted but he can't speak. I'm sorry if it annoys but I have to put it forward.

Don't take it badly though, it isn't a reflection on the layout and method of presenting. He can't comment for himself, so maybe I'm not doing the best job of it, that's something only he can do. I think it's the too many oblique horrors that have made it so far. But. We are still in the low numbers so it's not a biggie yet. All I know is if I were a newbie into horror I would hope the site'd horror list was actually without a doubt horror. Personally I would worry too much about the lower numbers. The top 50 would be my indicator.

Over and above that, I would stalk the high voter list. Who named certain awesome films highly. That person, I would probably read every review they wrote. Check out every film they crow about.

Know thy reviewer.

Adendum: I actually expect the obliques to appear in the first 50. That's partly why there's no hatewatches yet. Also because there are no bad movies that have appeared yet

Only one showing for me so far and it didn't make it so technically still nil points. French cannibalism is on the rise people.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde would have been further up if I had remembered to vote for it

Looks like a few of mine (at least five) will miss out.

My List
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)

Didn’t consider either but both are pretty good. It Follows didn’t work as well for me the second time around and the third act is still EXTREMELY WEAK imo. It kinda blows the whole thing but still a good concept and pretty darn creepy and cool up until then.
If it hadn't been for the third act, It Follows would have made my list for the Disasterpiece soundtrack alone. So great.

The thoughtful post on Bruce Campbell's Ash is combined with an altogether unmindful reckoning with Woody Harrelson's Tallahassee in comparison. Little Rock and the lost kid are one factor. As well as the bond built between Tallahassee and Columbus, who are fed up with each other and about to part ways, that Tallahassee chooses to stick with the dejected Jesse Eisenberg who falls flat on his butt, into the bushes in the driveway, trying to drive one of Bill Murray's motorcycles to save Emma Stone's Wichita at Pacific Playland. Tallahassee would've bailed if he were a "flat badass."

Dancing while Snake Plissken prods at "being almost entirely stuck in badass mode" is probably my favorite part here though.

At least this time it was in response to...

...but yes, even I'm finding it repetitive. I'm almost certain that a film I like even less will show up anyway.

You'll have to excuse me if the film I saw once (maybe twice) about ten years ago doesn't get the same level of attention as one of my favourite films of all-time - besides, how is it inaccurate? Just because I didn't explicitly mention something like

WARNING: "Zombieland" spoilers below
the whole dead son backstory and how it informs his own slowly-developing surrogate father-daughter relationship with Little Rock

when I described him as "almost entirely" badass instead of just badass? Because I know it's there and I can only tell you that it ultimately doesn't matter to me anyway. That's not being inaccurate, that's acknowledging elements that are present in the context of a subjective opinion that the film as a whole does not work for me. This can be the last I say about it, but I'll let you decide that.
Attachments

Name:	ash1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	52811   Click image for larger version

Name:	tallahassee.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	52812  

Sinister (2012)
Runtime: 1 Hour 49 Mins
Production Company: Alliance Films
Distributed by Summit Entertainment
Director: Scott Derrickson
Production Budget: $3,000,000
Box Office: $87,700,000
Five Votes
65 Points (24, 18, 11, 10, 2)
High Voter: @Derek Vinyard

SINISTER is a frightening new thriller from the producer of the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films and the writer-director of THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. Ethan Hawke plays a true crime novelist who discovers a box of mysterious, disturbing home movies that plunge his family into a nightmarish experience of supernatural horror. Source
Attachments

Name:	Sinister 76.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	52813  

Diabolique (1955)
Runtime: 1 Hour 54 Mins
Distributed by Cinédis (France), UMPO (US), Gala Film Dists. (UK)
Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot
Six Votes
65 Points (19, 15, 15, 12, 3, 1)
High Voter: @Pussy Galore

Theme by Georges van Parys
Attachments

Name:	Diabolique 1955.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	52814  

Curious about Diabolique (1955) now, seeing it's got an iconic pre-dating-Psycho bathroom scene.

That was higher than expected for Sinister.. actually completely forgot about it. I like it but don’t love it. I consider it to be a pretty good horror but nothing major. It has an unique atmosphere that feels disturbing and nasty and clammy instead of scary and creepy. The opening scene alone sets the tone. Ethan Hawke is always good. But yeah, maybe a bit too high here I don’t know. Better here than if it hit the top 50 though.

I have still not seen Diabolique and I’m ashamed of myself.

The Skin I Live In is a welcome surprise to the countdown. Great movie with a great and twisted premise. It's best to go into the movie knowing as little as possible. I think many in the non-horror crowd would appreciate its artistry.

The last act of Wait Until Dark delivers plenty of thrills and suspense, but I found those traits lacking during most of the runtime due to the overly elaborate and ridiculous con game. The small apartment setting betrays the movie's theater origins. The performances are the highlight. Hepburn's frailty and convincing blindness make for a very sympathetic lead. Alan Arkin is entertainingly over-the-top. Also enjoyed Richard Crenna's performance as a likeable villain.

I watched It Follows a couple months ago and loved it. Was very tempted to vote for it but resisted the urge since I've only seen it once. If not for the weak final act, it'd likely be a new favorite. The movie obviously owes a huge debt to the original Halloween, except I think It Follows actually improves upon John Carpenter's blueprint. I love how the film builds a mythology from well-known slasher tropes, transforming the old and familiar into something fresh and original. The score is excellent. The characters feel like real people. I love the camerawork and how it's constantly inviting viewers to scour the background for any potential glimpses of the monster. The concept of the monster is incredibly frightening, and I think the script is smart to not overexplain things. I also love how the film seems to take place in its own cinematic world and time period. The closing shot is perfect. Basically, I loved everything about the movie except the heavily criticized pool sequence. Even though I've bitched about the countdown's recency bias, I'm very happy about this movie's inclusion. Definitely one of the best horrors of the decade.

Haven't seen Army of Darkness (or Evil Dead 2, for that matter). Was hoping to run through the trilogy before they started showing up on here. The home movies in Sinister are incredibly creepy, and the first half of the film succeeded in getting under my skin, but my interest in the film unraveled in the second half as it reminded me of why I dislike so many modern supernatural horror films. Diabolique might be the most Hitchcockian film that Hitchcock didn't direct. Loved it on my first watch, but it didn't hold up well for me on a second viewing once I knew the mystery.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Diabolique was probably the best Hitchcockian thriller made in the '50s but not by Hitch. Plus it has some possible supernatural elements which turn it into horror. The bathtub scene is really scary, but there are plenty of other twists and chills. Hundreds and probably thousands of films have been made because of it but probably none as well. It was my #25. Sinister is a solid modern horror.

My List
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
25. Diabolique