Production Company: El Deseo S.A.
Distributed by Sony Pictures Classics
Director: Pedro Almodóvar
Production Budget: $13,500,000
Box Office: $30,800,000
Four Votes
63 Points (22, 18, 15, 8)
High Voter: @Miss Vicky

Ever since his wife was burned in a car crash, Dr. Robert Ledgard, a brilliant plastic surgeon, has been obsessed with creating a new skin which could have saved her. After twelve years of research, he manages to cultivate a synthetic skin that withstands any kind of damage. Now he only needs one thing, a human guinea pig... Having no ethics, and supported by his most faithful accomplice Marilia, he finds her, a mysterious and volatile woman who holds the key to his obsession. Source
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Skin I Live In 80.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	52702  

Wait Until Dark (1967)
Runtime: 1 Hour 48 Mins
Production Company: Warner Bros
Distributed by Warner Bros-Seven Arts
Director: Terence Young
Production Budget: $3,000,000
Box Office: $17,550,741
Four Votes
63 Points (23, 23, 10, 7)
High Voter: @gbgoodies , @Pussy Galore

Dim the lights, check the door's chain-lock, and brace yourself for a chiller as polished as the steel of Roat's blade. Audrey Hepburn earned her fifth Academy Award nomination as Susy. Alan Arkin is pure evil as Roat, master of disguise and accents. Jack Weston and Richard Crenna co-star as his henchmen. Building to a heart-pounding one-on-one confrontation. Source
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaitUntilDark 79.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	52706  

The Skin I Live In was one of the few first-time watches I managed to get in before the deadline. I didn't know what to expect going in but I was really blown away by it and had it at #4.

I watched Wait Until Dark for one of the HOFs. I thought it was good, but I never considered it for my ballot.

My Ballot:
4) The Skin I Live In
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

I watched The Skin I Live In for the 2nd time for this countdown. I loved it enough to vote for it, except to me it doesn't really feel like a horror movie.

I like Wait Until Dark plenty and figured it would make the countdown. I see it as a thriller all the way.

Watched Wait Until Dark for a HoF. Didn't really like it that much and don't see it as a horror film anyway. Haven't seen The Skin I Live In and have very little idea what's it like.

Seen: 19/22

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
October 19th

The Skin I Live In

Directed By: Pedro Almodóvar

The Skin I Live In is not a typical horror film. Some people might not even consider it horror. Yet, what happens throughout the course of this film is unnerving, sadistic and downright horrific. Without a doubt, the film is a psychological horror film in my books. Just no scares, heck even Almodóvar has described the film as "a horror story without screams or frights".

Describing the film is also a difficult task. There are numerous plot turns that I simply do not want to divulge. The basic premise of the film has Banderas as a plastic surgeon, who after a difficult past, tries to create a synthetic skin that is impervious to damage. His test subject is an unwilling woman who desperately tries to escape at every opportunity.

The film dives into different genres. At times it can be pretty dramatic, then Almodóvar pulls the rug out from under you and you're left watching some twisted things on the screen. He leaves nothing behind and tests the viewers level of how much they can handle. There were times where I was sitting there with my jaw wide open wondering just what the hell was occurring on the screen. Points to Almodóvar for invoking that.

The performances here are pretty strong, Banderas plays against his usual type. He's subtle and menacing. Elena Anaya is our woman who is held against her will. She has tortured eyes, which are the focus point of her performance. The film is in Spanish, so maybe the actors felt more comfortable with their native language.

The film is twisted, some people will be put off immediately by the content. Rape, death, torture, the film has all of this. In another filmmakers hands, maybe this content would ruin the picture and have it fall into the realm of low grade horror trash, but with Almodóvar, he somehow elevates the material. It's mature enough to avoid falling into line with those other films.

Can I recommend the film? Sure, but with a warning. It's twisted.

Great film, it completely slipped my mind for this countdown though. Would it have made it? I don't know.

Have not seen Wait Until Dark.

Suspect's Reviews

I haven’t seen The Skin I Live In, but I’ve stumbled upon it several times in the dollar-bin.

No really, I don’t know if that “we gotta reduce the price to get it out of here” experience from my earlier cinephile days going to the movie store has somehow changed my perception of a movie I haven’t even seen or if it’s just my laziness to never get around it. I kinda want to see it now though.

I have seen Wait Until Dark but did not consider it. I liked it quite a bit actually and gave it 7/10 back when I saw it, but because of the many, many horror films up for consideration I simply did not have room for it. It was pretty much only 10/10s and 9/10s that got a place on my list, with a few 8s thrown in there I think. So yeah, it was a tough competition... but a good film. Glad to see it here. A quality pick.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night was my #11. Stylish, arty vampire movie. I nominated it for one of the halls of fame last year some time. Now on two lists as it made it onto the women directors' list too.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't seen Skin I Live In but have seen Wait Till Dark several times. It was a Tie for the win in the 16th HoF and neither made the list.

Wait Till Dark

This has been a number of times watching this and I continue to enjoy it.
Specifically the criminals. I've always enjoyed the underlying tension that will continue to leak out, try as they might to keep their heads when it comes to keeping an eye on another. Especially Arkin who has this James Bond villain persona going on that I get a kick out of.

For this to truly work, as it does for me, the victim must be someone you care for and about. And how can you NOT care about Audrey Hepburn, who's fragility AND strength shine through so well in various scenes. The woman is plain, all out, adorable! Pure and simple.

And the fact that it is kept mostly in the confines of a basement apartment gives it a great claustrophobic aspect that adds to it.

Not sure if it's simply that I've seen it quite a number of times or that I simply enjoy the bad guys just a WEE bit more, but there wasn't the usual enjoyment of tension of past views. Perhaps it was simply a one time thing and the next time around, I will find myself caught up in the tension of the third act as I have in the past.

Regardless, a great revisit for an old favorite. THANK YOU @HashtagBrownies for nominating it so I could revisit it, again!

Films Watched: 50 out of 52
#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wait Until Dark was my #16, giving it 10 pts. High-level suspense culminating in a very scary ending. Sure, it's a thriller but one of my highest-rated films listed as horror at the approved site, so there you go. The Skin I Live In is basically an homage to Eyes Without a Face and 2010's Victim and is one of the better horror films of the 2010s.

My List
9. Altered States
16. Wait Until Dark

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wait Until Dark was #3 on my list, but it almost didn't make my list at all because I don't really think of it as a horror movie. I kept going back and forth about whether or not to include it on my list, but it's been a favorite movie of mine for many years, so I ultimately decided that it needed to be included. It might have even been my #1 movie if I thought of it as a horror movie.

I haven't seen The Skin I Live In.

Welcome to the human race...
The Skin I Live In was at the very edges of my shortlist. Now I wonder if Eyes Without A Face is liable to make the list at this rate.

I did not care for Wait Until Dark.

Unregistered User
The Skin I Live In was at the very edges of my shortlist. Now I wonder if Eyes Without A Face is liable to make the list at this rate.

I did not care for Wait Until Dark.

Id like to think it will appear.

Antichrist
- Liked it but didn't vote for it.
Skin I Live In

Haven't seen Wait Until Dark or A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. Wouldn't mind seeing Wait Until Dark. I usually don't enjoy movies with vampires so A Girl Walks Home doesn't really interest me.

Unregistered User
I liked The Skin I Live In enough to rate it a
but I would never have voted for it. Not really saying that much but its my favourite Almodovar.

Wait Until Dark I loved, although never considered it as a horror so it wasn't in contention. I'm a total sucker for home invasion films and this is a good one, with a great performance from Hepburn. Starts of quite slow but plenty of tension in the ending.

Did not expect too see Audrey Hepburn's face before adding all the points. Might make for engaging trivia- Best actresses to take a role in a horror film. Jennifer Connelly, Linda Blair, Neve Campbell, and Salma Hayek are on the opening image of the thread actually. Wait Until Dark looks interesting and stylish. Today's films won't be up for a few hours.