MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Jekyll at 10! My first film to show up. Cool that it made this. Wouldn't have seen it were it not Citizens nom in that 30s HOF!

Venturing somewhat into *Spoilers* territory, so be aware of that if you haven't seen the film and want to do so. Zombieland's in similar company horror-wise with the second and third sequels in The Evil Dead films. Has gore, zombies, and perilous conditions for the main characters Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock. The first scene where Eisenberg's girlfriend turns into a zombie and attacks him's probably the best full-on horror scene in the movie. The film elects to concentrate its creative energy on how the connections evolve between the four characters over the course of the runtime, rather than on involved kill-sequences in which they would be presumably picked off one by one. Tallahassee's the "Ash Williams" of the film, hauling around shotguns, pick-axes, baseball bats, and various garden tools in the back of his SUV to do battle on the swarm of the undead, while Columbus is more analytical in his approach, understanding he can survive by adhering to a disciplined set of rules which he communicates with the audience over the course of the movie. Wichita and Little Rock use tricks and deception to circumvent danger, as at first they entice the two guys but then steal their SUV. Discovering how to coexist or getting swallowed up by the soulless undead, that's Zombieland, the movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZombielandC.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	52635  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Zombieland was my #14.

Zombies. In a theme park. Plus Bill Murray. I liked it the first time I watched it, but liked it more on rewatching. It's a fun movie and zombie comedies are definitely my kind of horror movie.

Antichrist (2009)
Runtime: 1 Hour 48 Mins
Production Company: Zentropa Entertainments
Distributed by Nordisk Film Distribution
Director: Lars von Trier
Production Budget: $11,000,000
Box Office: $2,500,000
Five Votes
61 Points (25, 14, 9, 8, 5)
High Voter: @Swan

Chaos Reigns
Attachments

Name:	Antichrist 82.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	52655  

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)
Runtime: 1 Hour 41 Mins
Production Company: Logan Pictures
Distributed by VICE Films
Director: Ana Lily Amirpour
Four Votes
62 Points (19, 19, 15, 9)
High Voter: @Sunomis , @BraedenG33

Its airy, anamorphic black-and-white aesthetic and artfully drawn-out scenes combine the simmering tension of Sergio Leone with the surrealism of David Lynch. Source
Attachments

Name:	A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	52656  

Antichrist is probably my favorite von Trier this far. I should have rewatched it for this but forgot. One of the best opening scenes ever. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is also pretty nice and slightly different vampire film. Didn't consider it for my own list but I did like it still.

Seen: 18/20

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, not on my list but it sure could have been. My review of it:

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)

Director: Ana Lily Amirpour
Writer: Ana Lily Amirpour
Cast: Sheila Vand, Arash Marandi, Marshall Manesh
Genre: Drama, Horror
Language: Persian

"In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome female vampire."

I enjoyed this!...It's very stylish, very atmospheric and beautifully filmed. I loved the compositions that were used. It made the film feel like a work of art, like looking into a painting and pondering the mysteries that lay there on the canvas. It was like each shot had it's own feeling that came from the composition. So very rewarding to watch. To me this felt like sophisticated film making, and the type of film that is open to interpretation by the viewer.

This is director Ana Lily Amirpour's first feature length film, impressive! Part of the reason I enjoyed this is: I liked the vampire girl, she was soulful and sullen, with just enough mystery to make me wonder what drove her to do the things she did. I liked the lead actor too. He seemed like a nice guy, someone I could relate to, so it was easy to root for him.

My favorite scene came after the costume ball, when he's lost and meets her on the street and they then go back to her place. That was one of the most beautifully filmed romantic scenes, that I've seen...and they didn't even kiss!...and they didn't need to, just the atmosphere and the way that it was filmed, made watching the two seem like nothing else in the world mattered at that moment but their love.

+

Dammit. I was certain I had voted for Antichrist. Glad it showed up without my help. This is a grim and disturbing film, but all the visual graphic violence aside, the inner psychological struggles are the most hurtful. A tragic tale inside a visual nightmare. Love the look and feel of this film. One of Triers very best...

The other one has been on my watchlist for ages. I even still have it lying around just ready to watch. But I’ve never gotten around it. Maybe this means I should boost it up my list.

didn't see Antichrist but i'm really interested

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night is pretty good tho but didn't make my list