18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Florida Project (Sean Baker, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 2/15/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by rauldc14
Rewatch: No.

I went into this movie having no idea what to expect. I'd read the name and seen images of the film's poster around MoFo but nothing about those things piqued my interest. Things weren't looking too promising either in the first few minutes of the film as Moonee and the other children basically made nuisances of themselves.

As the film progressed though, I slowly began to feel something for the situation these characters were in. I wouldn't say that I liked Halley, and certainly she made a lot of poor choices, but I found it easy to see how much of a struggle her life was. I felt for the kids, too, as they faced hardships they could neither control nor truly understand. The one character that really stood out to me though, was Bobby the manager. I really loved the way he tried to help and how he never turned a judgmental eye on the others, even as they laid blame on him for things that went wrong.

I also really loved how real the characters felt - not in spite of their petty, trashy ways but because of it. I appreciated that nobody was painted as a hero or as a villain. They were just a bunch of people in a situation without much hope, struggling through their day to day existences all within sight of that "Magic Kingdom."

+

The Little Stranger

I rented this as I do with most HoF films because I feel better doing it that way.

Right from the start I was exhausted with the pointed and sharp pomposity of characters that were almost cartoonishly boring and pretentious. I simply did not care for this humorless and audaciously involving snoozefest. I’m just glad I was able to shake this typically british laundry pile off of my forehead with something mindless and courteous, something of the Jim Belushi persuasion.This will be the last HoF I will attend because my bank account dry heaves when I participate, and I refuse to pirate stream. No offense to anyone.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Brimstone

I had found myself, at multiple moments and at the spiraling descents, wondering: how I would have felt about this film if I had not bared witness to a number of @cricket nominations? Having turned that cinematic corner of being able to see past the cruelty of the context, into the craft of the film itself. Specifically, Nothing Bad Could Happen being that actual corner to where I could view such a film as Pixote beyond the subject matter's harshness.
In fact, at a number of parts, as the film moved beyond it's first hour, it was a kind of saving mantra: "I've watched cricket films, I can deal with this."

And I did.

I appreciated the growing tension of the first chapter and how well it was constructed. I was on pins and needles waiting for the brutal shoe to drop.
I thought the cinematography had a haunting beauty throughout the film. Pausing at many a time to admire the long shots on so many occasions.
I will also say that the length of the film was a necessity. I find myself pondering on where to cut scenes and came to the realization that it is more due to the subject matter and the abuse that Fanning's character is subjected to with an unrelenting callousness that wears on you. Not so much the actual story length itself.
As stated with others, there does seem more purpose in setting up scenes of abuse and while there is some truth to it; a large portion of the story being told feels necessary in the greater scheme of it all.

I have always enjoyed Guy Pearce from the first time seeing him in LA Confidential and found that he can do creepy exceedingly well and while a bit limited in dimension, he still makes you despise him for the depravity bathed in religious righteousness that he commits to.
And, as the victim of that character both Dakota Fanning and Emilia Jones are excellent at making us care for them with scarcely a word spoken. And OH how we cheer for both at their attempts to break free, and how it gnaws at us when there is no relief and the only final release is at the bottom of a lake.
Damn.

Still, a very worthwhile film overall, I must admit.

...This will be the last HoF I will attend because my bank account dry heaves when I participate, and I refuse to pirate stream. No offense to anyone.
That's a bummer and we'd miss you. I know your nom has been taken a kickin', BUT...you did also nominate one of the most well received films in any HoF...The Station Agent...which now is a proud member of the MoFo Movie Hall of Fame I liked The Little Stranger myself, luckily my library had it.

Do you not have a good library system in your area, @Joel?

I often can find many of the films I need to watch for HOFs on DVD at my library at no cost.

The Little Stranger

I rented this as I do with most HoF films because I feel better doing it that way.

Right from the start I was exhausted with the pointed and sharp pomposity of characters that were almost cartoonishly boring and pretentious. I simply did not care for this humorless and audaciously involving snoozefest. I’m just glad I was able to shake this typically british laundry pile off of my forehead with something mindless and courteous, something of the Jim Belushi persuasion.This will be the last HoF I will attend because my bank account dry heaves when I participate, and I refuse to pirate stream. No offense to anyone.

I am trying to choke this film down but it's not easy. The music and editing are so boring and icky to me. I hate that melodramatic early to mid seventies brass section with emerging synthesizer sounds. It's like being clobbered upside the head with a wet newspaper on a pipe smoke filled enclosed porch with the feeling of never getting to turn the vcr on ever again because you're trapped somewhere you do NOT wanna be!

I think once a film establishes its mood, it's up to the viewer to decide whether they are up for the challenge. I dunno. Like a pretentious art film HoF, I feel trapped with this nom. And Siddon, this is in no way meant to offend you but, I cannot stand this film so far. This isn't my official "review" of it, but things are not feeling very good right now concerning this particular nom. I will be a man about it and march back with my papers to finish it off. But will it be a major character arc and epiphany on my part, or will it be like trying to hastily get a load out when you've been banging away on a beer goggle date for 6 hrs and no end is it sight to just call it a night?

Akira - nah. Labored watch. Not fun. Hate most cartoons as an adult. Sorry.

You know you've given the same vague review for my last three nominated films. I hate to see you go, but I doubt you were ever really here to begin with.

Do you not have a good library system in your area, @Joel?

I often can find many of the films I need to watch for HOFs on DVD at my library at no cost.
I have mixed results with the lbrary. Most of the time, even if a title is in circulation somewhere in the state (not sure if all libraries offer this cross pollination type of availability for titles like mine does?), it could be months before I get an email telling me it's in.

I have prime for a few days, I'm going to try and get the rest of these knocked out.

I know your nom has been taken a kickin',
That's completely understandable, 100%, and I don't feel any resentment for that, honestly, I don't! I mean, would it be nice if one person liked it? Yes! But...there have already been 3 people I've showed it to here that've liked it @Citizen Rules, and 2 of them loved it @re93animator, @TYTD!

Gonna try to get another one of these watched tonight. Probably going to be either Florida Project or Little Stranger.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Double bill on for tonight.

The King of Comedy and Abandon Ship.

The Little Stranger (Lenny Abrahamson; 2018)

A film with a plot that had potential but ultimately did not do it for me. The film is quite well made and is has some solid production design and cinematography. The acting is fairly good for the most part but I wasn't a fan of Domhnall Gleeson's performance in this. My biggest problem with this was that I just found it to be quite dull and as a result I was struggling to keep interest in the film. I would've liked for the plot to be more suspenseful which would've at least made the film somewhat interesting but instead I spent the majority of the time just waiting for this to end. Overall quite disappointing.

I hope this review doesn't cause cancer It's just not my film.

The Square (2017) N

A curator of an art museum in Stockholm tries to wade through professional and personal difficulties.

All I knew about The Square was that IMDb tags it comedy and drama and it's related to modern art. Somehow I missed the comedy altogether (was there something I was supposed to laugh at?) and due to extremely uninteresting characters the drama misses its mark too. What remains is half-hearted critique of contemporary art and failing attempt to put equal sign between hypocrisy and common sense.

First 25 minutes or so are somewhat promising but after that it becomes more and more clear that the purpose is not to laugh at contemporary art per se but to blame its providers and consumers for hypocrisy when they don't live their lives according to noble explanations of the art. The Square keeps telling us that self-preservation is wrong and it's immoral to think anything but the best of others.

So a 2.5 hours long (and I mean LONG) comedy that barely makes you smile, and drama that has characters you don't want to see that keeps promoting a message you don't agree with doesn't sound too good. A film this long needs to have a story, structure, relatable characters, humor or something to keep me entertained - just anything. The Square has almost nothing for me.

Wauw. That has to be the worst rating to one of my noms ever in a HoF.

But then again, I did take the biggest chance yet with this one. It was bound to split people, so while it doesn’t surprise me it’s still a bit sad to see. Oh well, that’s how it goes sometimes. I’ll review my own nom once I revisit it again soon!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll be picking up The Square, The Little Stranger, and Bubba Ho-Tep from my library in the next day or so along with posting up my review of Road To Perdition (Spoiler Alert: it was okay, I guess)