17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I predict he writes the reviews but doesn't watch the films
I’ve thought about doing that. But that would ruin the integrity of this thing. I’ve got Lean on Pete going right now.

Day for Night

I think going to film school helped me appreciate the little bits in this film a bit more. There are tons of films that are about making movies, which is a sub genre that I really like.

My first Truffaut film, it was good enough that I expect to seek out more of his films. Writing, directing and starring, this is obviously his love letter to the medium of film and all the trials and tribulations to get your art on the screen. It also further proves my thoughts on the 70's being the best genre for movies.

It was relatable (for me) funny and well shot. Nothing about the film blew me away or made me really think this was a masterpiece by any stretch. A good nomination

Suspect's Reviews

Lean on Pete

A boy and his horse. If you throw an animal into a movie and make a connection to a human being, mostly kids, you'll probably get a tear or two out of the audience. My wife will probably bawl like a little baby and I'll do my best to suck those tears back into those ducts.

Lean on Pete made me believe in that connection between the kid and the horse. It wasn't a sappy story about a boy and his horse either, which was a genuine surprise.

Buscemi was really good here, he has a sympathetic face and always delivers a magnifying performance. The other performances are decent enough to hold your attention. I like thew western style cinematography here too.

The film does feel like two movies in one, with the stronger half being the first bit. A good film, just not one I would expect to be added for a nomination for HoF.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Nicely done, suspect! This was my first Tried at as well and I'll be checking out his 400 Blows somewhere in near future.

I'll go for Incendies to finish second.

Here's how I see it. I don't know about the particular order but I think I have a good guess on the general placement of the movies.

Winner: The Innocents

Top third:

Amélie
Incendies
Rush
Let the Right One In
The Dressmaker

Middle third:

Lean On Pete
Day for Night
The Aviator
Ghostwatch

Bottom third:

Pixote
The Libertine
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Hawks and the Sparrows

14th Place

Uccellacci e uccellini
(The Hawks and the Sparrows)
(Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1966)
Nominated By: @MijaFrost

That was my last place on my voting list. Just not my type of comedy. I don't know what it is but some European comedy just doesn't seem to work for North Americans.

Ghostwatch was a good discovery. I had it at #9.