17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I basically felt the same way about Brave...

Were there any Pixar movies you did like?
I'm kind of a Pixar fangirl, actually.

I was being completely sarcastic about Ratatouille. I love that movie. It and Up are in my all time top ten favorite movies and Wall E, Cars, The Incredibles, and Inside Out are in my all time top 100. I'm not crazy about some of the sequels/prequels Pixar has done, but the only one of their movies I really don't like is Brave.

Weird is relative.
I'm kind of a Pixar fangirl, actually.

I was being completely sarcastic about Ratatouille. I love that movie. It and Up are in my all time top ten favorite movies and Wall E, Cars, The Incredibles, and Inside Out are in my all time top 100. I'm not crazy about some of the sequels/prequels Pixar has done, but the only one of their movies I really don't like is Brave.
Ah, ok. I know a lot of people do genuinely hate Ratatouille because of the "ick factor" but I liked it. I've seen it at least twice. I'll always remember how my housemate made a wonderful, gourmet dish of ratatouille after we viewed it. (No rats harmed in that preparation!)

Finding Nemo was probably my favorite, which I re-watched many times over, although I haven't seen it for years now. (That scene where Bruce first appears always gets me.) Wall-E, The Incredibles, and Up were my other favorites.

Also enjoyed the original Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Cars and Cars 3, and Coco.

For some reason, I've never seen A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 (though I did watch the third, it was underwhelming), Cars 2, and Monsters University.

For me Inside Out was alright, but I didn't feel the need to re-watch it.

Finding Dory was fine, but not very memorable. Same with The Incredibles 2. Repeating essentially the same plots for these sequels felt too unoriginal.

The Good Dinosaur came across like a bland Saturday morning children's show, so that was a "nay" rating for me.

And yeah, I have no desire to see Brave again. Something about it got on my nerves. (I DID re-watch Brother Bear a bunch and liked both How to Train Your Dragon films though.)

Ah, ok. I know a lot of people do genuinely hate Ratatouille because of the "ick factor" but I liked it. I've seen it at least twice. I'll always remember how my housemate made a wonderful, gourmet dish of ratatouille after we viewed it. (No rats harmed in that preparation!)
I've been keeping pet rats since I was 19 - and loved them long before that, but my parents wouldn't let me get them - so there's pretty much the opposite of the "ick factor" for me when it comes to the rats in Ratatouille.

Here's how I would rank the Pixar films (not that this has anything to do with the current HOF, ):

Up
Ratatouille
Wall E
Cars
Inside Out
The Incredibles
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 3
Coco
The Incredibles 2
Cars 3
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Finding Dory
Cars 2
Toy Story 2
Monsters University
The Good Dinosaur
Brave

I think that's all of them. Incidentally I own all of them on blu ray or DVD - except The Incredibles 2, which is on my Christmas wish list. I'm not overly excited about Toy Story 4, but I know it'll join the rest in my collection eventually.

Weird is relative.
Incidentally I own all of them on blu ray or DVD - except The Incredibles 2, which is on my Christmas wish list. I'm not overly excited about Toy Story 4, but I know it'll join the rest in my collection eventually.
Same. I'll watch it even though my advance sentiment is "meh."

I should see the other four films I missed out on, just to be a completionist. :P

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Inside Out is the best PIxar film in my book. Followed by The Incredibles, Wall-E, Ratatouille and Toy Story 3. My obsession is unhealthy.

Also, watching Incendies tonight and another one tomorrow... not sure which one.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Here's how I would rank the Pixar films (not that this has anything to do with the current HOF, ):

Up
Ratatouille
Wall E
Cars
Inside Out
The Incredibles
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 3
Coco
The Incredibles 2
Cars 3
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Finding Dory
Cars 2
Toy Story 2
Monsters University
The Good Dinosaur
Brave
That's pretty close to my top 3 with Wall-E and Ratatouille fighting out first place with Up and The Incredibles following close behind.
Couldn't stand the first Cars film, was unable to finish the second one and I'd have Bugs Life higher.
Haven't seen Good Dinosaur or Monsters University yet.

1. WallE
  2. Finding Nemo
  3. Up
  4. Coco
  5. Toy Story 3
  6. Ratatouille
  7. Toy Story
  8. Inside Out
  9. The Incredibles
  10. The Incredibles 2
  11. Monsters, Inc.
  12. Toy Story 2
  13. Finding Dory
  14. The Good Dinosaur
  15. Brave
  16. A Bug's Life
So that would be my list but I would love to see some of these films pop on future Hall of Fames. And I haven't seen Monsters University or any of the Cars films

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Lean on Pete

I thought that the young actor playing Charlie did a pretty good job of conveying the emotions of a young man who is losing everything. Definitely felt for the lead character in the film. In a way, I wish I could have been emotionally invested. When it had emotional scenes it then seem to take a turn and take me out of that feeling, so in a way I felt the screenplay was a bit jumbled. The rest of the acting was ok I guess, nothing too extraordinary. I was shocked with what actually happened to Pete. I thought it was a bit silly that he was treking from Portland to Wyoming, just didn't seem realistic to me given the circumstances. In the end, it's something that was worth viewing but I don't think it will be all that memorable either unfortunately. Glad I saw it and there's really nothing too negative to say about it either, so that's a positive in itself.

@Miss Vicky

Rush (2013)

I love sport but Formula One is something that I don't watch for the most part. A couple of teams tend to dominate and motor racing isn't my thing. The reason that drew me to it initially though was the personalities of the drivers. The drama between them is unique, often bizarre and when the championship is close it can be compelling.

Hunt vs. Lauda from the 1976 Formula One season is one of the most extreme examples of this. Jammed with drama and two diametrically opposed people (at least publicly) competing for the championship. One of those fascinating stories of when not if it would be made into a film.

The line drawn between Hunt and Lauda in this film did feel forced with some of the dialogue literally spelling out differences that the viewer can see. Much of it's completely needless. I'd prefer a bit more subtlety and trust in the audience. But that's not really the Ron Howard speciality.

Despite that, Rush is better than most biopics at streamlining dramatic events. The film flies by and I didn't feel its two hour run time. Daniel Brühl is absolutely perfect as Niki Lauda. He nails everything about his mannerisms. Chris Hemsworth is good as well and it's hard to imagine someone different as James Hunt. The drama that plays out in the final two races shown on screen is poignant. It brings a real weight of emotion for both of the protagonists.

Great review, @Nathaniel. A lot of great points about capturing the dynamics of Lauda and Hunt. Especially Bruhl. The several times I've seen him I've been pretty impressed by him.

The Libertine is a scattered irritating mess of a film. I suppose Johnny Depp figured this would be a shot at an Oscar for him and it feels very like a failed Oscar bait film. The problem with the film is that each act feels so scattered and incomplete and they don't really transition from one act to the other.

The pondering pretentious nature of the early acts are juxtaposed with the degeneration of Depp's body to Syphilis. Either area could make for an entertaining film but by splitting the difference the tonal elements fail. Most of these characters feel less human and more vile and unlovable.

The good part of the film is the production design, makeup and costumes though the cinematography is fairly terrible. A series of well crafted and beutiful things shot horribly with washed out blues and greens.

Rush

I watched this with my wife shortly after it first came on DVD. I thought well of it but very much felt like TUS in that it was not very memorable. I still think that a little bit but my opinion of it has gone up.

I love cars and sports but don't care anything about auto racing. That doesn't matter when judging a film but I'm sure it helps with enjoyment. As it was, I still enjoyed it quite a bit and it's a very well crafted film. The two leads are excellent, thank god, because there's really nobody else in the movie that makes any sort of impact. I was into the story more this time and really have no complaints. It looks great and the intensity of the sport is captured. I think it's nuts that they race in the rain and I wondered why they couldn't put the guy to sleep to vacuum out his lungs. Just random thoughts. Oh and Hunt had good taste in women.

+

Most of these characters feel less human and more vile and unlovable.
I'm not sure how being "human" and being "vile and unlovable" are mutually exclusive, but whatever. A lot of humans are vile and unlovable.

I wondered why they couldn't put the guy to sleep to vacuum out his lungs.
I don't know the answer for sure, or if that scene was even accurate, but my best guess would be that there's much greater risk to anesthetizing someone with already compromised lungs, so they don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Great review, @Nathaniel. A lot of great points about capturing the dynamics of Lauda and Hunt. Especially Bruhl. The several times I've seen him I've been pretty impressed by him.
I haven't seen that much of him other than Inglorious Basterds but Goodbye, Lenin! has been on my watchlist forever. I've heard he's very good in that.

I haven't seen that much of him other than Inglorious Basterds but Goodbye, Lenin! has been on my watchlist forever. I've heard he's very good in that.
Goodbye Lenin was Cosmic's nom in a past HoF. I really like that one! Check it out when you get the chance.

I've also seen him in Fifth Estate and for the life of me I could of sworn he was in Mr. Robot, but it seems I was mistaken.
Will have to look into Goodbye Lenin

I'm not sure how being "human" and being "vile and unlovable" are mutually exclusive, but whatever. A lot of humans are vile and unlovable.

I think "authentic" would likely be a more appropriate choice. No one in the film felt like they were a real person rather they were just mouth pieces for the writers. I feel like a film like this has to go down one of two routes, either treat this world like it's an alien civilization and make us understand the concepts, ideals, and characters or give us a quality journey story.

I don't know if you are aware for how terrible the reviews for this film were but some highlights (because I wondered why I skipped this one)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/libertine/reviews/

The Libertine could be one of the most atrocious films you will ever see in your entire life.
There follows much groping and fondling and talk of debauchery, all of it slightly less erotic than integral calculus.

For all the overstuffed corsets and garters snapping to and fro, it's about as bawdy as a C-Span appropriations committee meeting.