The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All Quiet On The Western Front was the #7 on my ballot, rather an effective watch imo that easily offsets the odd bit of pontification with moments of both humour and humanity.

Seen: 66/95
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
5. Gone With The Wind

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Not on my list but no rational explanation.
All Quiet on the Western Front (Lewis Milestone, 1930)

Even after all these years, this film still connects with the viewer in primal ways which modern films can't quite seem to touch. All Quiet on the Western Front continues to be a watershed, both as a novel and a film, to teach our youth the true horrors of war and to get them past the "glamour", "excitement" and "honor" of dying for one's country, right or wrong. The novel is obviously a classic for a reason, and this film version remains a classic, despite some overlength and primitiveness. It's actually the "primitiveness" which adds to the power of the film because this is a true war (read: anti-war) film. It paints both sides of the picture and shows the utter falsehood of the pro-side of war.

The film contains a litany of memorable scenes: the opening contains some of Milestone's best direction; we see the young German recruits marching through the city while the camera comes inside a "high school" where the teacher is preaching to his all-male students the absolute glory of fighting and dying for their country. Needless to say, the students all enlist and go off to fight without a second thought. Later on, there are numerous battle scenes which are both spectacular and scary. The unifying theme of the scenes are the horrors and inhumanity of war.

Some more incredible scenes are the nighttime wire reconnaissance, the non-stop bombing suffered by the Germans before the French attack, the eerieness when all goes quiet and the way the youth from the classroom are all so easily killed or mutilated. Later on, the greatest scenes involve the one with the French soldier in the blown-out no-man's land and, quite obviously, one of the most memorable endings ever filmed. Don't be put off by the fact that the film is approching 90 years old. If it wasn't broken, don't try to fix it!

Mark f, speaking of your comment in your review, "If it wasn't broken, don't try to fix it!, well...I've only seen the TV remake starring none other than John-Boy Walton himself, Richard Thomas! He's a good actor but I'm sure he's not a patch on Lew Ayres. I really do want to see the original, just never have. No excuses. Therefore, not on my list. *sigh*

#2 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (10)
#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#9 King Kong (16)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Been away for the Kill-a-Turkey-and-Stuff-Yourself Feast/Holiday, so, catch up time:

STILL have not seen Bringing Up Baby.
From a very early childhood I have loved Charlie Chaplin, and while Modern Times was an easy pick, I went with one, I am much more endeared to, City Lights where the Tramp is mistaken for a rich man by a blind flower girl. A very beautiful and touching as well as funny Charles Chaplin.
Tried like hell to finally check out All Quiet on the Western Front for this list and failed.

Watched 61/95 (64.2%)
List: 17/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Freaks (#9)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) City Lights (Didn't Make It)

10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) Babes in Toyland aka March of the Wooden Soldiers (Didn't Make it)

MY nomination for a Laurel & Hardy film, though they share a lot of the screen time with the rest of the cast. My favorite bit as always been the final battle between Barnaby's bogeymen and the denizens of Toyland. Just f@ckin delightful.
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Dawn Patrol (Didn't Make It)

25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I want to see that version of All Quiet on the Western Front.
I scarcely remember seeing it as a kid when it did come out and cannot remember, for the life of me, any of it.

Really dying to know what fingers crossed and fearing greatly are Ed, because City Lights is in. (Just in case you don't know what Cricket is talking about)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've not seen that one.
Good joke.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Had City Lights at #15. It joins Monkey Business, A Night at the Opera, Sons of the Desert, and one more yet to show as the comedies from my vote. My favorite to surface somewhat recently was Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. Films from my list to appear:

2. Sons of the Desert (1933)
4. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
6. The Blue Angel (1930)
7. Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1931)
8. Dracula (1931)
9. The Testament of Dr Mabuse (1933)
10. Little Caesar (1931)
11. Scarface (1932)
12. Olympia (1938)
15. City Lights (1931)
16. Gunga Din (1939)
17. The Petrified Forest (1936)
18. A Night At The Opera (1935)
19. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
21. Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
22. The Mummy (1932)
23. Mr Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
25. Monkey Business (1931)

Unfortunate that my #1 isn't going to turn up. Suppose I'll wait until the list is done before I share that.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowwhite1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	49854  

City Lights is slightly the better of the two 30s Chaplins imo and both are enjoyable but as I said before neither made my ballot.

Seen: 67/96
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
4. It Happened One Night

Definitely surprised (and a little bummed!) at how clearly Chaplin has owned this decade over the Marx Bros.
Mofo reflects quality.

I had City Lights at 5. Saw it very early after coming to Mofo, my first silent I believe, and it has left an impression. In the apparent Chaplin-Keston battle, I am definitely team Chaplin