MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Grease 2
(1982)

I have seen this very long time ago and for some reason, rewatching it now makes me think. Back when I originally saw it, the sexual innuendos weren't so bad but now as I have gotten older, yeah I just don't care much for the songs or the dialog. I understand that yes, all teenagers think about sex while going through puberty. Times are different now than back in the 1950's. I won't compare this to the first Grease movie as that is unfair. I didn't hate it at all. Michelle Pferrer has some good acting moments. I liked seeing Didi Conn in it again. Never a fan of Adrian Zmed or Maxwell Caufield. I recognized Christopher McDonald and Maureen Teefy (She played in the "Fame" movie, which I really like).

Akira
(1988)

I'm not a big fan of anime but I have seen some. Miyazaki movies and a few others, both films and series. This was an interesting watch. At first, I was trying to figure out if Akira was a person, machine or event. But I guess its all three. The dystopian society of future Japan and the way the government used and abused society was interesting and with every government like this, you have your "rebels". I love the word "rebels". I don't want to give much away. @Siddon, I did not dislike this movie. Perhaps watching it again will help me understand more.

Lucas
(1986)

I thought this was a cute little film. The music was terrible except at the first football game, the band was playing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" but other than that.. yeah it s*cked!

Nice to see a young Wynona Ryder. Also, Jeremy Piven was in it as one of the bully football players. I didn't think the acting was terrible but it wasn't great.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Better Off Dead

In search of a deep, analytical, gritty, realistic microscope into the the relentless trials and unapologetic tribulations that teenagers suffer through, delving beneath the day to day angst to explore the very heart and soul of this tumultuous time?

BOY did YOU pick the wrong f@ckin movie for that!

With a dad unable to pick up on the proper terminology to speak with his son or be able to protect the windows on his garage door from the psychotic paperboy to the uber-ditsy mom who's meal concoctions are borderline cartoon creatures, to a brooding younger brother that makes lasers, rockets and successfully learns from a book on how to pick up slutty women; John Cusack's character, Lane Meyer does not have it any better outside his home; with a best friend that "can't even find real drugs" to getting caught up in drag racing with a pair of Japanese brothers. Only one of which can speak English by imitating Sports Commentator Howard Cosell. Only to crash into the highly dangerous cameo of the owner of Porky's. Yes, the movie Porky's. Please keep up, thank you.

We hit comedic over exaggeration as Lane fumbles through suicide attempts from being dumped by his girlfriend while trying to win her back by equally fumbling down the slopes of the most dangerous slope there is; the K-12 as everyone around him seem to ask him if it's okay if THEY went out with her.

But fear not my friends, Lane discovers someone far more special than the superficial ex girlfriend by the name of Monique. A French exchange student who is stuck with the neighbors across the street. The son, Ricky, for me, has some very funny bits and is the TRUE final battle for Lane as they duel with ski poles.

A goofball film to cleanse any teen angst film watching pallet.
Rinse, spit, repeat as necessary.

How is this coming along for everyone?

I know most of us are in the B Movie II HOF too.

I want to do something for December but not a HOF but just movie watching... Holiday Horror themed.

Anyone else interested?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Stalled atm, but still alive. Few unscheduled deadlines have popped up at work so I've been preoccupied and settling for old Star Trek DS9 background noise.

Should be able to catch up over the break next week.

@MovieGal
I've actually got Better Off Dead, Crossroads, and Weird Science under my belt.
Its all good

See the meme

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I haven't really dived into this yet, but I'm super excited to.

Once I get a few things out of my way, I'm all in on this one.

Suspect's Reviews

@Citizen Rules and @Captain Steel

Wrong ******* for high school jerk of the 80s..

That title belongs to James Spader.
Spader reigns supreme, I have to agree with that. His icy playboy menace mixed with his snide, uppercut personal jabs are as catty as they come.

Stalled atm, but still alive. Few unscheduled deadlines have popped up at work so I've been preoccupied and settling for old Star Trek DS9 background noise.

Cool you're watching ST DS9, I love that show. I'm rewatching for the upteenth time ST OS.

I still have Stand By Me, Grease 2. Stand By Me has been on reserved at the library since the start of this HoF. I'm starting to think they don't actually have it. Grease 2 is mine and I loved it, so I'm saving that for last.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Cool you're watching ST DS9, I love that show. I'm rewatching for the upteenth time ST OS.

I still have Stand By Me, Grease 2. Stand By Me has been on reserved at the library since the start of this HoF. I'm starting to think they don't actually have it. Grease 2 is mine and I loved it, so I'm saving that for last.

I take it ST OS is Star Trek Old School?

I never got into DA9. Always felt Cisco was over-acted when it aired. But I was probably distracted with college and couldn't make time for it too. Always thought Quark was great though.

So I started on S1E1 and I'm in double digits now. I'm only half in though as i have running as I'm doing other things but I've enjoyed it so far. Last episode Kira burned the old man's cottage down.

Sorry if im spelling names wrong! I'm on mobile atm and refuse to chase tabs to check.

Weird Science (1985)

Funny at times, but one of John Hughes' most inept films.

John Hughes was on a roll in the 1980s writing and directing such critically acclaimed hits as: The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Uncle Buck and Plains Trains & Automobiles. All those films have one thing in common...they accurately delve into the psyche of outsider teens. Those films excel at creating character depth which then drives the story forward, thus making those films great.

But John Hughes wrote Weird Science in a mere two days and it shows. Instead of insightful teen angst, that comes from real world type situations, we get fart, boob, crap and bra jokes, in lieu of anything more introspective. The first 20 minutes is pure spectacle as the boys hack into a Pentagon super computer and thereby create the woman of their dreams. I have to say the first 20 minutes was pretty dull, but once Kelly Le Brock shows up things do improve. Oh sure Miss Le Brock was hired for her pouty lips and hot bod, but she's also real good in her role as Lisa, the dream woman with spirit!

Anthony Michael Hall fresh off The Breakfast Club shows he still had the chops to delivery fast dialogue imbibed with his style of jittery quick speech. And he's good too, especially in the blues bar scene when he's drunk and trying to be oh so hip.

On the other hand, his side kick Wyatt played by Ilan Mitchell-Smith, is just plain lack luster with a whiny voice that makes you want to see him get his ass kicked by the mutant bikers that show up at their party.

Very cool to see Australian actor Vernon Wells recreate his role from The Road Warrior (1981) as a mutant biker dude. They even get the mohawk and leather studded costume down pat. I've got to give a shout out to the great Bill Paxton. He was one helluva a colorful bad guy here and a really talented actor too.

Despite a few good actors and a few good laughs, Weird Science main claim to fame for me is the title song by Oingo Boingo.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weird Science 1985.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	49711  

How is this coming along for everyone?

I know most of us are in the B Movie II HOF too.

I'm still in this, I'm just focused on the three other Halls at the moment. I finished B and I'm going to binge 2nd Chance.

Dont you all just love my 80s teen memes?.... I really thought about what to pick and what to say.... and even try to use the voice of the character when creating them...

Dont you all just love my 80s teen memes?.... I really thought about what to pick and what to say.... and even try to use the voice of the character when creating them...
I do! nice touch...got any more?

I have several more but @Citizen Rules , I have an idea for when we go through the HOF winners in order... I will chat at you later.