The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Interesting how Bride of Frankenstein finishes 5th in a 7 person 1930's Hall and yet it's far and away first of that field.
Yes, I had it at #6. What a dish Lanchester was. And she stayed beautiful her whole life. She's one I could sit and listen to her reading the phone book out loud..

It's funny: some of us refer to the actor playing Victor Frankenstein as "Clive Owen", when it's actually Colin Clive... Too bad about his short life (37). He was a good actor.

~Doc

Yes, @edarsenal, that was the Mary Shelley film I was referring to, and glad to know you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thank you for mentioning it. Very good film, and I learned a few things myself. Though I knew Frankenstein was not originally published under her name, I didn't know the particulars. Also, I didn't know that the Shelleys were friends with Lord Byron, and that his "parlor game" was the reason Mary started writing the book. Relationship between Mary and her sister also was interesting. The film portrays these main characters- poets and writers - as the bohemian rock stars of their time - and it rang true for me. The tragic loss of their child - very well portrayed in the movie- seems to have been a major factor in how Mary wrote, and ( I also inferred as such)was largely responsible for the underlying melancholy, and sympathy for the monster in the book.

Final observation, if you don't mind my rambling-it's often been said that artists ( meaning writers as well) are ahead of their time, and often envision changes to come in the world that are not apparent to anyone else. So even though Frankenstein is a horror movie, it can also be thought of as prescient sci-fi. Reattaching limbs, cloning animals , organ transplants, awakening frozen prehistoric creatures (!) - much of today s scientific advances can be thought of as amazing scientific miracles, and also ( by some) as going against nature or defying the Lord 's plans. Makes one wonder: how did a lady write that story and envision these very themes and events 200 years ago?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yes, @edarsenal, that was the Mary Shelley film I was referring to, and glad to know you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thank you for mentioning it. Very good film, and I learned a few things myself. Though I knew Frankenstein was not originally published under her name, I didn't know the particulars. Also, I didn't know that the Shelleys were friends with Lord Byron, and that his "parlor game" was the reason Mary started writing the book. Relationship between Mary and her sister also was interesting. The film portrays these main characters- poets and writers - as the bohemian rock stars of their time - and it rang true for me. The tragic loss of their child - very well portrayed in the movie- seems to have been a major factor in how Mary wrote, and ( I also inferred as such)was largely responsible for the underlying melancholy, and sympathy for the monster in the book.

Final observation, if you don't mind my rambling-it's often been said that artists ( meaning writers as well) are ahead of their time, and often envision changes to come in the world that are not apparent to anyone else. So even though Frankenstein is a horror movie, it can also be thought of as prescient sci-fi. Reattaching limbs, cloning animals , organ transplants, awakening frozen prehistoric creatures (!) - much of today s scientific advances can be thought of as amazing scientific miracles, and also ( by some) as going against nature or defying the Lord 's plans. Makes one wonder: how did a lady write that story and envision these very themes and events 200 years ago?
Always felt the same way regarding artists/writers and so forth seeing beyond the "now" into the possibilities ahead.
I do know about Byron and Shelley's sister and the summer they spent with him and his "doctor". Quite the rock star escapade that was.
What I really found intriguing was the science of that time discussing the use of electricity to revive dead muscles and it's potentials. Never really got to look into that stuff previously and for some time always thought the whole procedure was thought up by Mary herself.

I had a feeling that Bride of Frankenstein would place ahead of the first film, yet I still rate both films equally, with the one I chose having no chance of placing now. Yet I put it ahead of these first two films and at the same time think they're all 5-star movies, if that makes any sense. Along with the themes addressed in the Frankenstein novel and films above, I liked the warped sense of humor of "Bride," particularly where Doctor Pretorius (Ernest Thesiger) is concerned. And "Bride" has one of the most moving scenes I've seen in any movie, where the Monster meets the Blind Hermit. And as touching as it is, I can't watch it without thinking of its parody in Young Frankenstein.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is just one of Disney's best films, ever. It has humor, drama, and even darkness in it (one instance is the vultures near the end). I had it at #11 on my list.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Didn't see King Kong in time, but saw it recently and it would have been on my list.

Rules of the Game is pretty lame for me honestly. Seen it twice.

I've seen both. I watched the restored King Kong with the missing scenes reinstalled/recreated and it was a pretty darn powerful film. If one considers that people become accustom to more and more thrills/excitement/spectacle in films as the decades go by, then King Kong for it's time might have been the most impactful movie of it's kind ever made. It's a pity that the general population would disregard and old movie as useless just because it's old. I love King Kong, but it didn't make my list.

King Kong is a fun enough romp that always has me rooting for the poor ape but didn't make my list, sadly didn't get round to The Rules Of The Game.

Seen: 58/86
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
14. The Last Of The Mohicans (1936)
13. Dames

Lots of films that were high on my list are showing up!

My list so far:

1. The Rules of the Game (1939)
3. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)
4. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
5. Trouble in Paradise (1932)
7. L'Atalante (1934)
8. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
12. Stagecoach (1939)
13. 42nd Street (1933)
14. King Kong (1933)
18. Footlight Parade (1933)
22. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
23. The Lady Vanishes (1938)
24. Top Hat (1935)
25. A Night at the Opera (1935)

Kong probably should have been one place higher on my list. I've always loved it and still do. Surprised it's not higher.

The Rules of the Game was just ok for me, like most Renoir I've seen.

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
4. King Kong (#16)
5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
8. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#28)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
14. Jezebel (#29)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)
24. The Thin Man (#25)
25. Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've seen both. I watched the restored King Kong with the missing scenes reinstalled/recreated and it was a pretty darn powerful film. If one considers that people accustomed to more and more thrills/excitement/spectacle in films as the decades go by, then King Kong for its time might have been the most impactful movie of it's kind ever made. It's a pity that the general population would disregard an old movie as useless just because it's old. I love King Kong, but it didn't make my list.
I would LOVE to still a fully restored King Kong just to see what I've missed out on.
VERY glad to see it make the countdown.
Have not heard of Rules of the Game but since I've enjoyed Renoir so far, on the watchlist it goes.

Watched 54/86 (62.7%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)[/quote]

I would LOVE to still a fully restored King Kong just to see what I've missed out on.VERY glad to see it make the countdown.
That was done in 2005 as a two disc special edition. The extras on the history and making of King Kong were fascinating!

Have not heard of Rules of the Game but since I've enjoyed Renoir so far, on the watchlist it goes.
That was a nomination in the 9th HoF, and that's where I seen it. But the person who nominated it dropped out so the movie was DQed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Kong was my #20.
I want to add that I grew up with the 1933 King Kong, and it was instrumental in my falling in love with the movies. The fact that you could see such things which were impossible has a big effect on a youngster. I think it's a classic and that everyone should watch it. My rating for it is
. However, I don't lionize it as others do. Willis O'Brien's stop-motion effects are incredible and a lot of fun, but the acting in the film isn't really A-quality. I mean, Fay Wray is beautiful and can scream with the best of them, but her co-stars aren't all that hot. Armstrong can play a big producer OK, but it's superficial, and Bruce Cabot is on the wooden side as the hero. Another thing is that the beginning is a little slow-moving. (Yes, I realize that many viewers complain that Part One of the 2005 version is slow and irrelevant, but I actually enjoyed the added time to get to know the characters. Even if many of the characters and their relationships don't "pay off" in the context of the plot, they do add depth and mystery to the film. I realize that some people today will just find the acting and FX of the original too hokey, but it's a real movie-movie, and I keep finding plenty of hokey acting and FX in today's films.
The Rules of the Game (1939)/The Grand Illusion (1938) (Both directed by Jean Renoir)

Renoir's two most highly-regarded flicks were made consecutively on the Eve of WWII. Both are must-sees but not exactly perfect. Considering that they're supposed to be nigh on perfect, it's understandable that it's difficult to reach that watermark. I mentioned elsewhere that the first film's satire seems to have worn out a bit, but I want to say that it's more than made up for by the fact that the straight comedy seems to shine brighter than ever today. I'm not saying that Renoir hits Marx Bros. territory, but I definitely laughed out loud at it more than I ever have. I fully expected The Grand Illusion to be the better film, but I was surprised at how jerky some of the editing was. I had forgotten that many significant events occur off-screen and that there are a lack of explanations to some which are shown. However, the honest respect shared between some of the officers is moving. Erich von Stroheim comes off as a gentleman, at least until he shows himself to be a racist and an elitist nobleman. In many ways, the latter film seems to skewer its satiric targets in a more modern manner, and I never really even considered The Grand Illusion a satire before.
I may end up with four of mine not making the list.
Seen 86/86
My List
1. Pygmalion (34)
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
7. My Man Godfrey (31)
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (40)
10. Olympia (48)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
20. King Kong (16)
23. Gunga Din (61)
24. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
25. Horse Feathers (51)

Haven't seen The Rules of the Game as I haven't really pursued Renoir films, but I'm not ruling out seeking them out. On the other hand, King Kong is one of my favorite films of all-time and is one of the "horror" films I mentioned I thought would make the grade. Maybe it's not really horror, more action/adventure but there are some horrifying images in it and like CR said, they had to be really powerful for the time. People being eaten and stomped on, slowly...whoa! It's still powerful stuff for me and is on my list at #9. I really thought it would make the Top 10.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#9 King Kong (16)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

Kong probably should have been one place higher on my list [#4]. I've always loved it and still do. Surprised it's not higher.

The Rules of the Game was just ok for me, like most Renoir I've seen.
I agree with you, since I had King Kong at #3.. It must have been overwhelming to see that film in 1933-- the impact it must have had-- I think a good deal more than say, the first Godzilla (1954) or Jurrasic Park (1993) when they came out.

Renoir did some wonderful films, but --as in the other countdowns-- I didn't select any non-English speaking films. I haven't seen a good sampling of, for example, European films. So to say that one is the best of all of them wouldn't feel right for me.

~Doc

That's two Jean Renoir films in two days, and a total of four of his that made the countdown so far. I seen La Grand Illusion for the 14th HoF, I liked it but didn't love it enough to make my list.

I've not seen The 39 Steps, but I will. I've been slowly working on watching all of Hitch's filmography.

Watched both, voted for neither. La Grande Illusion however was very much in the mix for making my ballot but sadly just fell short, The 39 Steps on the other hand is a very mixed affair imo and was never in contention.

Seen: 60/88
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
12. Dark Journey
11. The Criminal Code