Smudge's Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Halloween (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...alloween-2018/

So we followed up last week's cinema viewing of the original, with seeing this sequel this week!

Now I generally really dont like horror sequels (except Dream Warriors...) so was a little low on expectation, and a lot of the first half only confirmed that. The second half though really kicks it off a few notches, and brings back not just the fear, but the painful claustrophobic tension that makes the original as good as it is.

That's not to say the first half is irredeemable, there are some good little bits, in particular a lot of specific shots, outfits moments etc that almost directly mirror the original. Some obvious, like with a couple of the murders in it, others less so, from Laurie's granddaughter sitting in the same seat in the classroom, and even ending up in a similar outfit towards the end of the film. It all builds up to that second half though. A worthy horror sequel, better than most Ive seen.

[/quote]

Trying to quote you letterboxed review of Mother...

I believe I feel the same about that movie. Just seemed like a huge waste of time. Technically the shots and effects are amazing..but that's never enough. What a bummer movie this is.

Trying to quote you letterboxed review of Mother...

I believe I feel the same about that movie. Just seemed like a huge waste of time. Technically the shots and effects are amazing..but that's never enough. What a bummer movie this is.

Yeah I think I messed up somewhere with my quoting sorry!

That's spot on, it's a weird film in the sense that everyone's performance in it is very good, it is shot very well and a very technically well put together film...but that script and concept are utterly horrendous!

Yeah I think I messed up somewhere with my quoting sorry!

That's spot on, it's a weird film in the sense that everyone's performance in it is very good, it is shot very well and a very technically well put together film...but that script and concept are utterly horrendous!
Like, having Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeifer in a film together as husband and wife..that sold me right there..and such a boring let-down.I feel like it's one of those movies that whips its nose up in the air and goes HMMM!! YOU AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO understand me.

And I was like..uh, but I am..and ..well..

ya stink!

Eighth Grade (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/eighth-grade/

Not to go over the top or anything, but I've never seen any film or tv show that so accurately portrayed the teenage introvert. Too often stories have arcs and we want to believe characters can improve on their faults and social problems, rise above it and grow to be a better person. But in real life, we're all human, and for so many of us who ever struggled with these problems, we never outgrow them, and we never learn how to fix them. We just learn to cope with it the best we can.

And I guess that's what this film is about. Painfully shy Kayla is edging towards the end of Middle School, where she has never fitted in, has no friends, and wants so desperately to change that without knowing how, despite living an active social media life. It's also a difficult time for any kid, as they're teetering on that brink of still being a kid, but wanting to move forward and be a grownup. That shyness, desperation to impress the popular and older kids, every feeling here feels real. The anxiety, the claustrophobia, the outright shame you felt as a teenager at the smallest embarrassment. Even the way we see everything from a teenage perspective, all of the adults in this film are super lame, in the way every authority figure always appears to be to a 14 year old.

It cut very close to the bone, so much of it was downright uncomfortable. But there is always s feeling of hope underneath, and it somehow ends with a smile. Worth everybody's time, especially any parent of an angsty Instagramming 14 year old.

I've never found a school movie that made me think, "Yep, this is what it was like in school." Why do people find it hard to represent teenhood accurately? Hell even the Ninja Turtles never got it right and they've been trying for more than 30 years.

I've never found a school movie that made me think, "Yep, this is what it was like in school." Why do people find it hard to represent teenhood accurately? Hell even the Ninja Turtles never got it right and they've been trying for more than 30 years.
I guess its because every generation is the same, but also so different. One of the lines in this, a girl snaps at her mother and says 'nobody uses Facebook anymore.' That line went in because one of the stars actually told the director the same thing! Hence everyone in this is on Snapchat and Instagram. My friend currently teaches at high school, and he says the most used search engine by teenagers there is YouTube, not Google. Because in their opinion, if there is no video of what they are looking for, it's not worth looking up.

The Black Cauldron (1985) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...lack-cauldron/

The Big Disney Challenge 25/56

First one in a little while that I've never seen at all! No surprises given that it is so often buried as Disney's first real foray into darker material, and it seems people werent quite ready for that!

It's a shame really, because it's not perfect, but there is a lot of good stuff in here. No songs, but the score is excellent, and even though it was the first to use CGI for some parts, the old fashioned colouring in the background gives it something quite timeless. The characters are decent, from endearing goodies to a downright scary baddy, this could have done so well with a bit more support and a different set of circumstances. Because watching it today as a standalone from the times it came out of, it is enjoyable. But then in the long run, it's not a bad thing that it flopped at the time, as the changes after it led to what is in my opinion, Disney's greatest era in the early 90s.

Im not one for all these cash grab Disney remakes of the last few years, but this is one story that could be so good if someone had another go at it.

[/quote]

Eighth Grade (2018)

Not to go over the top or anything, but I've never seen any film or tv show that so accurately portrayed the teenage introvert. Too often stories have arcs and we want to believe characters can improve on their faults and social problems, rise above it and grow to be a better person. But in real life, we're all human, and for so many of us who ever struggled with these problems, we never outgrow them, and we never learn how to fix them. We just learn to cope with it the best we can.

And I guess that's what this film is about. Painfully shy Kayla is edging towards the end of Middle School, where she has never fitted in, has no friends, and wants so desperately to change that without knowing how, despite living an active social media life. It's also a difficult time for any kid, as they're teetering on that brink of still being a kid, but wanting to move forward and be a grownup. That shyness, desperation to impress the popular and older kids, every feeling here feels real. The anxiety, the claustrophobia, the outright shame you felt as a teenager at the smallest embarrassment. Even the way we see everything from a teenage perspective, all of the adults in this film are super lame, in the way every authority figure always appears to be to a 14 year old.

It cut very close to the bone, so much of it was downright uncomfortable. But there is always s feeling of hope underneath, and it somehow ends with a smile. Worth everybody's time, especially any parent of an angsty Instagramming 14 year old.

I loved this too. That Enya montage scene got to me. It's a very well done film. Loved the little subtle hint at the end that everything's going to be ok, and she's not going to change.

Eighth Grade (2018)

I loved this too. That Enya montage scene got to me. It's a very well done film. Loved the little subtle hint at the end that everything's going to be ok, and she's not going to change.
Great montage that!

Yeah that was my feeling, it was hopeful rather than a 'everything has now been fixed' happy ending.

The Great Mouse Detective (1986) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...use-detective/

The Big Disney Challenge 26/56

Coming incredibly quickly after the flop of the Black Cauldron, I actually think this is a poorer film. More than anything, it looks and feels rushed. Unlike any previous films on the list, the characters don't look like they belong on the backgrounds. I know the backgrounds were always animated separately, but this is the first time that has really looked obvious. I don't know if it was because of the early computer animation, but either way, its just so ugly looking compared to everything that has gone before it. It's also way cheesier (cheese...mouse...geddit?) in style than it's predecessors, feeling more like a feature length episode of Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, rather than Sherlock Holmes. Not that I don't love Chip n Dale, but it just feels a very out of place style here, especially when trying to combine it with dangerous and sombre moments. Upmarks for the score though, which is very good.

It's not just the look, but the whole plot that feels rushed. The only character who gives off any form of charisma is Rattigan. He is funny, charming, and when it comes to the climax, pretty scary. And all brought together by the voice of Vincent Price. He's the best thing in this, with a bizarre storyline of kidnapping a toymaker to build a replica of the Queen? Yeah, weird all round, and even with a short runtime manages to have several scenes that feel like filler.

Best Song: Let Me Be Good To You
This whole scene is simply bizarre, but what a great time!

Best Scene:
Probably the scene in the toy shop as Fidget makes his escape using the toys to slow down Basil and Dawson.

As An Adult:
Nothing really stood out.

Racism-watch:
Nothing here, have we moved on from this era now?

Did I Cry? No, felt way too rushed to really get emotionally invested.

First Man (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/first-man/

I feel I should preempt my review by again pointing out that I find the ins and outs of real life space a massively boring subject, and I swear the second anyone starts talking mechanics of space or rockets, my brain instantly goes to sleep. I can appreciate the technical beauty involved in so much of the space sequences, but while they were the bits I imagine most of the audience enjoyed the most, they were the bits I enjoyed the least.

So what did I enjoy then if space is boring in a biopic of the first man on the moon? Basically the biopic part. It is an incredibly human story, which is probably as fitting as it gets for a man who is immortalised as an all time American hero, but was always humble and never felt that way about himself. It is a very touching and well done piece about masculinity and the ways in which men feel they can and cant express their emotions, a man who lost so many around him, in the name of a mission that robbed the world of so many lives, and the expectation to just soldier for his country and his duty, at all expense of family and humanity. In a way, it almost felt like an 'anti-war' space film, not so much glamourising space travel, NASA, the Apollo mission, the American dream and all that, but more questioning was all this sacrifice really worthwhile?

Fantastic sensitive performances all round from Gosling and Foy, and in a smaller role, Jason Clarke, who I like more and more every time I see him in anything. The fact that we see how the mission affected not just the men, but also their wives and families who were expected to support them, brings it all home. Best part though? That score? Incredible, one of the best Ive ever heard. I can see there being a lot of arguments over this film come Oscar season, but that musical score will take some serious beating. Stunning.

Capricorn One (1977) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...capricorn-one/

Came home and told my mum how much I loved First Man, and she suggested this as an alternative viewpoint! Inspired by conspiracy theories that the Moon landing was faked, Capricorn One follows a planned mission for three astronauts to land on Mars, which it is discovered is sure to fail due to a fault, so rather than risk the financial and PR disaster of a costly failed or cancelled mission, NASA instead choose to fake the mission, even to the mission control staff who think they are handling a manned mission rather than an empty craft. And the sham is going perfectly...until the craft burns up on re-entry, seemingly killing the three men on board...

The first half is definitely better, as I think it does the whole faked mission conspiracy really well, and you can see how it could easily be believed. The second half descends into a madcap thriller farce with a crazily stunted air battle between a bi-plane and two helicopters, and the plot gets madder and madder! But for all it's fault, it is certainly entertaining! It is definitely a little dated, and there is some serious 70s cheese on show, especially that final shot, but it is definitely a fun 2 hours, and one that you could do worse to devote your time to if you come across it.

Widows (2018) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/widows-2018/

How can this film possibly fail with a director, writers and cast this good? Short answer, it can't.

First off, I think the trailer sells it short, portraying it as some kind of all girl action heist. It is so much deeper than that, from the circumstances that throw these women together in the first place, to the twisty turny thread that ties everything together.

There is so much going on here. To say it's a film about a grouo of widows pulled together to pull off a heist after their criminal husbands die after a botched job, leaving their wives with the debt...that isn't half the story. Politics, race, gender, gun crime, police, sex work, corruption, betrayal, revenge, it's got so much going on, it's a wonder it all fits in. But fit in it does, and all playing it's part in the twisted narrative. There were a couple of scenes early on that I wondered why they were there, as they seemed inconsequential. But everything in this film is there for a reason, another thread, another strand.

Technically, it is so well put together too. There are some truly brilliant sequences and shots in this (most notably that whole opening scene, and a brilliantly weird scene that follows Colin Farrell's politician character on a short drive home after an appearance that rams home more about his character than 2 hours of dialogue could.) It's a very cleverly done knockout of a thriller.

Oliver & Company (1988) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...liver-company/

The Big Disney Challenge 27/56

This seems to be a very unpopular one for a lot of Disney fans, but I always loved it as a kid, had a book version etc. One of those I was a little concerned would have lost its shine over the years. Surprisingly though, I probably enjoyed it more.

Negatives first, my only copy of this was a horrendous pirate VHS so I always thought that despite enjoying it, it was quite ugly and grim in terms of animation. Having now actually seen it in HD...it's still pretty ugly! Some of the animation is really poorly done. I think it helps in some places, the animation of the city in general contributes to it's feeling of overall love of a city that despite it's wonders also has a darker side (especially in 1988). Other bits just look dark and bland, and almost dated compared to the advances seen in the previous couple of films. The subway scene particularly before they go onto the tracks.

So that's the negatives. I love the rest. The music especially. The music on Disney films absolutely exploded in quality from this point onwards. Having Billy Joel, Bette Midler and Huey Lewis involved clearly helped, all of the songs are very different and really good. As are the characters, the antithesis between good but bumbling Fagin and the evil Sykes is great. I know there are very similarities in the end between this and the source material, but a truly sinister villain is one thing they got right. Unlike most Disney villains who are fun and charismatic, Sykes is evil, and the fact they managed to create a film so dark as to have a villain this grimly realistic is something. The gang too, all very different characters with great chemistry with each other. It manages to still maintain it's humour and heart, even through the darkness.

Best Song: Streets of Gold
Tough one, I love all of them, especially the opening Once Upon a Time on New York City. Great balance through the whole film of sombre, and more fun numbers all the way through.

Best Scene:
Georgette trying frantically to clear the gang out of her room as they come to rescue Oliver. Most of the comic relief in this scene, and it's very funny.

As An Adult:
Some slightly questionable moments around Tito and Georgette. Gender politics still a little sketchy around this time it seems despite big strides being made with the Rescuers a decade earlier.

Racism-watch:
Tito again, a couple of the old fashioned 'hide race behind an animal' going on.

Did I Cry? I cry way too much at various points of this film. It's that bloody opening, it's like Up, it just gets you in teary state from the start!

The Little Mermaid (1989) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...ittle-mermaid/

The Big Disney Challenge 28/56

Here we are! Halfway through, the first film I ever saw at the cinema aged 4 (at the Unit 4 in Wigan which is now a carpet shop, shout out to my local there!) And still my undisputed favourite ever Disney film, and the start of the greatest era to be a kid as those late 80s-mid 90s were a truly glorious time to be under 10.

I think I love it more now than I did as a kid, because it is so layered and has so much that makes it great, I find something different I love most every time I watch it. It's a story about love. And not just the cartoon fantasy world of love, but it's the closest Disney ever got by this point to what real love is. As a kid, I never got why Eric didn't immediately want to marry Ariel when she turned up human. Yeah she's got no voice but he knows it's her? Its only seeing it as an adult understanding that doubt he has, still pursuing a fantasy when the perfect girl is right in front of him, how many of us can relate to that? Unlike so many love stories too, that just love portraying weird toxic behaviour as romantic, everything here is above board, and let's be honest, Prince Eric is just about the most eligible Disney leading man around amiright? He doesn't hang around waiting for someone else to do all the work, like dwarves or fairies or mice, he goes and gets the girl dammit!

But it's also a really meaningful portrayal of familial love, between a father and his teenage daughter. They love each other but can't understand or communicate with each other. It's the first time really that we've seen a parent and child in Disney predominantly fighting...but it's not coming from them hating other or the classic evil step parent. It's from a place of love, which makes the final scenes all the more emotional.

Elsewhere, we have another fantastic villain on show here in Ursula, voiced with all the disdainful sassiness of the jaded vengeful bitch she is. And she gets a great song as well! That said, all of the songs and music are stunning. That was key to Disney's turning point as much as anything else, the music makes this film an event rather than just a kid's film. It also looks absolutely beautiful. You can see how much love has gone into making this, from the thousands of separately animated bubbles, to the way Ariel's hair moves in the water. So much effort has gone into making this look just as good as it sounds.

Best Song: Part of Your World
I don't care if Under the Sea got the Oscar, this is where it's at! A song so beautiful, it makes up a huge chunk of the score. It is just so beautiful, completely captures everything Ariel feels about being trapped and longing for somewhere else.

Best Scene:
Kiss the Girl! No it's not my favourite song (though still great) but that whole scene is perfection. The colours, the lighting, the atmosphere, the song. It's perfect and you all know it!

As An Adult:
I understood a lot more of the flirting/ courting scenes...they definitely go over your head as a 4 year old, where it all looks so damn easy! Though I swear I'd have an easier time at this stuff if some sea witch stole my voice to prevent from saying anything stupid in these situations!

Did I Cry? Just a few times...dammit...

Can you believe it? It took almost 50 years for Disney to make 28 main catalogue films, and now we have twice as many in only another 30. The Little Mermaid is one of the best.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...hantom-menace/

I am not a Star Wars nerd. My brother is, but although I saw this when it came out, my only real experience of the franchise since seeing Episode II in the cinema, is playing through Lego Star Wars on the Xbox...but then I've always meant to revisit since my friend still can't believe I had seen episodes IV and VI, but not V, so since they're showing the lot on tv over the next 6 week's, now seems as good a time as any for that fresh revisit.

And this first instalment of the prequels is enough to make me want to give up already! I can't imagine what it was like as a long time fan to wait excitedly for this after 15 years or so then be treated to this crap, because as a non fan, it was bad enough.

Really bad pacing, some scenes are short and engaging while others are so drawn out, you're just begging for it to wrap things up! That podrace scene is over 9 minutes long FFS! While your big climactic Jedi battle with Darth Maul (who despite being the iconic face of the film is the most pointlessly devoid of personality villain possible) just felt slotted in so we had a lightsaber fight to shove in. Then there's Jar Jar...oh my...going back to Lego Star Wars, the achievement for smashing Jar Jar 100 times I think adequately sums up my feelings on him...

So yeah, it's dull. On top of that, was CGI really this bad 20 years ago? I don't think it's just that it's bad, but good directors and editors can hide bad CGI. This places it front and centre, and it's so bad, it's practically distracting. For a film that fails to shine with it's script and story, trying to dazzle everyone with CGI doesn't exactly rescue it, especially when it's this bad.

So yeah, not a good start at all. I vaguely remember enjoying Episode II at the cinema, let's see next week if it can at the very least improve on this godawful mess.