The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
38. Show Boat
37. Angels With Dirty Faces
Darn it, looks like I need to reconfigure my faildictions program again

The Blue Angel has a fantastic performance from Emil Jannings and really comes alive in the second half and I like it enough to grant it the #20 spot on my ballot. Angels With Dirty Faces has two very good central performances from Messrs. Cagney and O'Brien and is surprisingly effective in it's conclusion but whilst it would probably make my top 75 for the decade it was never really in contention for a place on my ballot.

Seen: 40/64
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
36. Drums Along The Mohawk
35. Bringing Up Baby

Lots of great movies, but only two more from my list. I had the Cagney gangster pics The Public Enemy as my number seventeen and Angels with Dirty Faces as my twenty-first pick.

My List
5. The Informer (#93)
9. Fury (#68)
17. Public Enemy (#42)
21. Angels with Dirty Faces (#37)
25. Destry Rides Again (#72)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I listed The Blue Angel ahead of some movies I rated higher, but that's because I found it to be one of the most memorable movies of the decade. It really stuck with me.

I liked Angels with Dirty Faces but didn't vote for it.

5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)

I've seen The Blue Angel, liked it and might have liked it better if it had been a better video quality. I had Angels With Dirty Faces on my list

My voting list:
*4 Gold Diggers of 1933 22
*5 42nd Street 21
*6 Angels with Dirty Faces 20
*8 The Public Enemy 18
*9 Bachelor Mother 17
*10 Swing Time 16
*16 Of Mice and Men 10
*17 Fury 9
*18 Captains Courageous 8
*19 Goodbye, Mr. Chips 7
*21 The Petrified Forest 5
*23 A Star Is Born 3
*24 Red Dust 2

I've never seen the Emil Jannings The Blue Angel but rather saw the remake with Curt Jurgens and May Britt from 1959 that's been a long time ago. However I do have Angels With Dirty Faces on my list at #21. I dearly love this movie and for me, it's the best "two friends on opposite sides of the law" (even though O'Brien is a priest not a cop) movie ever made, and they were fairly prolific in the 30's and 40's. The "going yellow" ending is one for the ages. I read the James Cagney autobiography Cagney by Cagney and he told about the making of that movie and how a couple of the Dead End Kids tried to act tough with him and he had to slap a few of them around. Just how it was back then.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A few years back when had a Dietrich marathon at the house and this was one of the films we watched and enjoyed her in as the beguiling performer at the Blue Angel bar that a professor, looking to shame his students into stopping going there, ends up falling in love with her. And hell, can ya blame him?

And Angels With Dirty Faces is a great Angel & Devil aka James Cagney and Pat O'Brien battling for the soul of the youths aka The Dead End Kids who would go on to feature in films as The Bowery Boys.

Great films but was unable to fit either into my list. VERY happy to see them though.

Watched 35/64 (54.6%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#40)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Seen both - wasn't impressed enough with Ninotchka for it to ever be a contender for my ballot, Dracula on the other hand was in contention but sadly didn't quite make it in the end.

Seen: 42/66
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
34. Mata Hari
33. La Grande Illusion

"Suppress it." I had Ernst Lubitsch's Ninotchka as my fourteenth pick. Garbo Laughs! And that gives me six that have shown. I would expect all of my remaining choices will show in the top thirty-five, with the exception of maybe one or two that might have missed the boat.

My List
5. The Informer (#93)
9. Fury (#68)
14. Ninotchka (#36)
17. Public Enemy (#42)
21. Angels with Dirty Faces (#37)
25. Destry Rides Again (#72)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought I had Dracula on the lower end of my list, but I was wrong. I've only seen it once but thought it was interesting.

Ninotchka kind of bored me if I'm being honest, but at least we are getting to a point where I'm actually seeing the films that are showing up (until Gone With the Wind shows, never seen that).

• Captains Courageous
  • Dodsworth
  • Black Cat
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Ninotchka
  • Top Hat

Frankly it looks like only half my list(if that) is going to make the countdown so I've been fairly quiet.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Angels with Dirty Faces was my number NINE!

It's very humane, made me cry, and all that stuff.

The Blue Angel is pretty good and Dietrich's breakout, but I don't love it.

Ninotchka is a great Lubitsch film, but not his best. Not his best from the 30s either.

Dracula was a film I disliked the first time, but then rewatched and really liked. Lugosi is creepily charismatic, and the eerie silence when they don't talk that common in early talkies actually adds something uncanny to the atmosphere. Anybody who liked the film has to check the Spanish-language version made at the same time. Unlike the Browning film it's shot at night (same sets were used!), which adds to the atmosphere. Villarias is no Lugosi, but apart from that I might even prefer it to the English-language film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nice combo there, mark!

I really liked Lugosi in Dracula and it's his iconic role, but there's another role of his where I think he did his best acting ever that I voted for, but at this point I don't think it's going to make the list. Ninotchka is a great film and lots of fun and even though Garbo gets all the attention and rightly so, Melvyn Douglas was equally great in it. Unfortunately neither made my list, but I'm glad to see them on here. With Dracula making the cut, I'm sure another classic monster movie will be here, but I fear the sequels won't make it, which is unfortunate. Still, the list is just getting greater and greater.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)

I've always liked Dracula but I haven't seen it in many years. I don't think I'd love it enough now to vote for it.

I liked Ninotchka a little but not enough to consider it.