17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@Miss Vicky

Let the Right One In

This was a very pleasant revisit and a nice Halloween alternative this year around.
With a leisurely pace we are allowed the time to slip into the story line and the meeting of, and growing relationship of Eli and Oskar. Though I do wonder how much of it is a necessity for Eli who is in need of a new protector/food gatherer, which Oskar fits the bill of being unhinged enough and needy enough for someone to care about him to do the dirty work for him.
It seems to fit since she mentions in one scene where she mimics him about "squeal. Squeal piggy." being the very first time she saw him.

Still, this had a very good pace and setting and the more gruesome scenes weren't over done, giving them a more gravitas. Especially the swimming pool scene which had a more dreamlike quality to all of it that seemed very befitting.

A solid nomination and quite the enjoyable revisit.

@Miss Vicky

The Aviator (2004)

I liked this more than my previous watch. Which is starting to become a common theme for me with Scorsese's movies from the last 20 years. It's bloated but how the hell do you make a biopic about Howard freaking Hughes without it being a little bloated? There's just way too much material to work with and I think Scorsese does a pretty good job in streamlining what's available to him. That being said, I can certainly see the material suiting a mini series format where specific plotlines could be expanded upon. Scorsese only really scratches the surface of the Ava Gardner relationship and Howard's Hollywood interactions.

The scenes where Howard's obsessive compulsive disorder have fully taken over prior to the trial are notably well done. And probably the best example of DiCaprio's acting talent up to that point. But, the aesthetic is what I found most impressive about The Aviator the first time I watched it and that hasn't changed any. I remember enjoying it but also being baffled as to why there was teal running through every shot early on. Then reading up that Scorsese was matching what a bipack colour film would look like at the time before the introduction of technicolour to the theatre. It creates this unique visual development which runs concurrently with the story. Plus, the production of Hell's Angels is suitably epic and fantastical because of the use of colour. The film as a whole is suitably epic for that matter.

I'll be watching another one later as well. Maybe from this HoF but there's a bunch jumping out at me from 2nd Chance as well.

Decisions, decisions...

I watched Rush yesterday. Trying to come up with a review today. I didn't like it but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected from Howard / Formula 1 combination so with only three films from this HoF left I'm yet to give bad rating

@Miss Vicky

Rush (2013) N

James Hunt and Niki Lauda compete against each other on track and become the best of enemies.

I'm not interested in racing at all and in general I don't like Ron Howard's films (I don't hate them but they just feel soulless and bland) so my expectations were very low. Fortunately the topic doesn't seem to affect Howard movie that much and Rush is just like the rest, easily watchable and as easily forgettable.

I didn't know much about the story beforehand (I was actually expecting Lauda to die in an accident and I'd never heard of Hunt) but the rivalry between Hunt and Lauda felt way too perfect and staged from the start (I Googled it afterwards and it seems that the whole grudge is made up). In my opinion that's a signature flaw with Howard whose films are always too polished and without any roughness of real life.

Technically Rush is great and acting is spot-on. Even the script is fine except the fact that everything fits in too perfectly, like planned from the dawn of time. For me the characters aren't interesting and the whole Formula 1 environment is complete turnoff. Despite of that the two hours went by moderately easy and it's not even close to being a bad movie. It's just not for me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Day for Night

I didn't care for it all too much, but I wouldn't call it a bad film either. I think a lot of the comedic scenes just didn't hit well for me, like the scene where the woman actor countlessly kept screwing up. It felt more obnoxious than funny for me. It felt like there could have been a different way to tell the story that could have been more appealing too. I didn't think the acting was bad, it's just that it wasn't necessarily showcased. It seemed like Truffaut was trying to be the star here but I think it could have worked better if he tried to get more out of some of the actors. Of course, it could be that I just hit another cultural barrier and that's why I didn't enjoy the film as much as I could have. I did never lose focus though and the pace was pretty good. It just didn't hit all the way home.

+

Weird is relative.
Nathaniel mentioning Hell's Angels in his review reminded me that I had a dream last night where I found a VHS copy of it. Weird.
I watched Incendies yesterday and will write about it soon.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels (1998)

My second watch of this movie, which was till recently part of my Top 100.

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but it's still a damn good movie. I read some people criticizing it for being too much style over substance, which I can understand, but I don't see it as a negative thing. In fact, Guy Ritchie stopped doing good films the moment he tried to do pseudo deep films, like Revolver.

What I liked the least is the acting which seems a bit stiff by many of the actors involved. I also agree with someone here that the soundtrack does not always fit the scenes but I didn't find that too annoying.

Apart from that, the script is immensely quotable and the cinematography has that roughness I love about this kind of british films. I love the opening and how the pacing is introduced right from the start and the type of dark humour of this film hits all my buttons.

I find this movie quite similar in atmosphere to Naked and Withnail & I that did not do well on the HoFs so I think this might go the same way, unfortunately.

Oh, and now I'll have to watch Snatch again because I can't decide which one I like the most.

-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels (1998)

Oh, and now I'll have to watch Snatch again because I can't decide which one I like the most.

-
Same thing happens with me. When I see one I REALLY need to see the other.

@Miss Vicky

Incendies (2010)

SPOILERS

Denis Villeneuve explodes into the big time with this film and it's evident throughout Incendies just how good his direction is. Placing you right in the middle of its story in multiple time periods. Particularly with Nawal. There's a section of the film where it largely consists of her walking and the camera moves at her pace. It's as if the viewer is walking right beside her witnessing all of her pain, and intense frustration. That entire section on the road is fantastic in displaying the aimless desperation that Nawal is feeling with minimal dialogue. And it ends up culminating with the most memorable harrowing scene of the film. These visceral parts focusing on Nawal is where Incendies is at its best from both a technical and an acting standpoint. No one else can hold a candle to or even gets a chance to match Lubna Azabal's performance in these sections.

The contrast between Jeanne in the present and her mother in the past is the highlight of the present day scenes. Their cares and worries being vastly different. Jeanne goes through an important aspect of self discovery - perhaps only at the end realising some of what her mother went through. The melodramatic twist related stuff is ok though I can't say it hit me like intended. There's a noticeable jump in quality between the timelines and that would be my main hang up. But, I don't know how Villeneuve could manage to solve that with this screenplay or without making Nawal's outstanding story less effective.

Radiohead's sound suits the tone of this film so well by the way. I was surprised by just how well it suits.

We've got a few people who are getting close to missing a check-in:

@TheUsualSuspect has not posted in 9 days. I'll send a PM tomorrow evening if he hasn't posted by then.

@HashtagBrownies and @Luis have not posted in 8 days. PMs will go out Saturday evening if they haven't posted by then.

Everyone else has posted within the last week.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Hello! I'm here! Looking to knock off two this week. Sorry If I'm being too slow. I really got in the spooky mood in October and watched a lot of horror.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yup, me too. This weekend I'll bang one or two out.

Suspect's Reviews

Hello! I'm here! Looking to knock off two this week. Sorry If I'm being too slow. I really got in the spooky mood in October and watched a lot of horror.

I know the feeling, I think I'm going to try and get 10 reviews for the 4 hall's I'm in this weekend to catch up