The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've heard of Olympia but haven't seen it. However, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town is my #14. Totally love this film and Gary Cooper has seldom been as great. Jean Arthur, Lionel Stander, and H.B. Warner are standouts in the movie also. It's an all-time keeper.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)

From my list so far:

4. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
7. L'Atalante (1934)
18. Footlight Parade (1933)
24. Top Hat (1935)

Excellent presentation, by the way, Citizen!

Wow! yet another movie makes the countdown from the 30s HoF. Of Mice and Men was Cricket's nom in the second 30s HoF, hosted by Edarsenal. I had it as my number 16.

Tomorrow's reveal will have still another film from one of the 30s HoFs. Any guesses?

It's a twofer for me in terms of having viewed and both Of Mice And Men and The Story Of The Last Chrysanthemums are enjoyable watches that were in the running for a while but neither ended up on my ballot.

Seen: 34/56
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
5. Le jour se lève [Daybreak] (Marcel Carné, 1939) [#57]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
11. Dark Victory (Edmund Goulding, 1939) [#52]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
21. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse [The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse] (Fritz Lang, 1933) [#56]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
44. Ask A Policeman
43. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang

Two more from my list

5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't heard of The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum but just the fact that it made cricket's list says a lot for me and waiting for mark f to post to truly seal the deal. So that'll be added to my list of films from here I will be attempting to check out.
Of Mice and Men is a solid film, though it did not make my list.
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum

Of Mice and Men

The best laid plans of. . .

It's kind of an interesting situation for me to finally see this, including a few tidbits that appeared in this HoF discussions:
The first, is personal experience of growing up on cartoons that had used Lenny and the voicing in countless favorites of mine that I couldn't help but meander back to them whenever Lon Chaney spoke.
This isn't a derailment of the character or my ability to appreciate Lenny and the child-like mentality and idealistic view of the world he had. Just an amusing aside of my cartoon drenched brain lumbering back to things that amuse.
One of the two tidbits include @cricket stating how Lenny was based on someone who was sent to an asylum. That made certain scenes far more poignant. Such as Crooks "supposesing" about if Lenny was alone, without George, and what would become of him. Suggesting being locked up in an asylum. The other was near the end as George and and Slim talked about what would be best for George and how an asylum would be a very terrible thing for him.
There was a very tangible gravitas to those scenes, having learn that bit of trivia.
The final tidbit was with how @pahaK felt that the old dog being shot gave away the ending and it got me to thinking, while watching it, if it would have given away the ending I was already aware of.
No idea if it would or wouldn't.
But I do see how it had a sort of relevance for giving George the argument of doing what would be needed to do, as well as to the viewers when that time came.

Still, I really enjoyed this and very happy that I got to finally actually watch it in full. The running theme of loneliness was done well and I thought the friendship between George and Lenny was very well done.

Watched 29/56 (51.7%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Wow! yet another movie makes the countdown from the 30s HoF. Of Mice and Men was Cricket's nom in the second 30s HoF, hosted by Edarsenal. I had it as my number 16.

Tomorrow's reveal will have still another film from one of the 30s HoFs. Any guesses?
The best I can guess would be Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde or even The Thin Man

I've only seen a television remake of Of Mice and Men but I really want to see the 30's version. Have never heard of The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum so, no go for either.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought I would love Only Angels Have Wings, but it was honestly just decent for me. Maybe I missed something though, because I like Hawks, Arthur, and Grant a lot.

I really liked both and would have thought they were on my list, but nope I didn't vote for either.

Only Angels Have Wings was my choice for the Howard Hawks segment of Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauld and Mutiny on the Bounty was my nomination for the Best Picture Hall of Fame

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I really liked both and would have thought they were on my list, but nope I didn't vote for either.

Only Angels Have Wings was my choice for the Howard Hawks segment of Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauld and Mutiny on the Bounty was my nomination for the Best Picture Hall of Fame
Nice day for you then!

Gahhhhhhhhh, Only Angels Have Wings totally should have been on my ballot but despite re-watching and thoroughly enjoying it I forgot to then note it down in the list I was using to determine things .... delighted to see it made it anyway despite one of my many 'senior' moments. Mutiny On The Bounty I have seen but not for decades as I didn't manage to get round to revisiting it for this so won't count it in the stats.

Seen: 35/58
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
5. Le jour se lève [Daybreak] (Marcel Carné, 1939) [#57]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
11. Dark Victory (Edmund Goulding, 1939) [#52]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
21. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse [The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse] (Fritz Lang, 1933) [#56]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
42. Animal Crackers
41. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

I'm pretty sure I've seen Of Mice and Men, but I don't think I liked it. That said, I would've watched it at school at some point in my teens when I was far more anti old movie than I am now. I know I've seen three different version of it (thanks to me failing both semesters of HS freshman English and having to retake each semester separately. Each teacher assigned the novel and also had us watch it on film.) I do love the book and Gary Sinise's 1992 take on it is a favorite, so I wonder if I might like the 30s version of it now that I'm more used to old black and white movies.

I watched Mutiny On the Bounty earlier this year for the Best Picture HOF and didn't like it.

... I do love the book and Gary Sinise's 1992 take on it is a favorite...
Is that the one with John Malkovich? If so I liked that version too, it's a bit more hard hitting than the original.