The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

and an ample opportunity and I, of course, blew it

oh the shame, the shame. . .
No shame bro' - you're over 50%, that's very nearly one in every two that you've seen

Oh yeah, make sure you stick Le Jour Se Leve on your Gabin watchlist as well

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
No shame bro' - you're over 50%, that's very nearly one in every two that you've seen

Oh yeah, make sure you stick Le Jour Se Leve on your Gabin watchlist as well
I will DEFINITELY add that one as well.THANKS!!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Horse Feathers at 25. It's the only Marx brothers movie that I have liked so far although I haven't seen too many.

Glad to see @Captain Spaulding loved Red Dust

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Didn't vote for either, but in many ways you have two great opposite films in style and substance. Port of Shadows [again] has what are probably my two favorite French actors of the era, or any era for that matter - Jean Gabin and Michel Simon. It's another hopeless tale which is somehow imbued with hope, much of it contributed by the exquisite cinematography of Eugen Schüfftan, who did the F/X work on Fritz Lang's Metropolis and also later shot Robert Rossen's The Hustler and George Franju's Eyes Without a Face.

On the other hand, Gold Diggers of 1933 is pure sex and pure fun with great Busby Berkeley musical numbers and a witty romance and satire of Broadway showbiz. The feminine leads - Ruby Keeler, Joan Blondell, Aline MacMahon and Ginger Rogers - all reflect Depression Era charms and have great chemistry with their prospective sugar daddies, who include Warren William, Dick Powell and Guy Kibbee. Billy Barty (you nasty boy!) does the spitwad thing again.

Port of Shadows

My List
#4. The Scarlet Empress (Josef von Sternberg)
#5. Port of Shadows (Marcel Carné)
#7. Humanity and Paper Balloons (Sadao Yamanaka)
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
#20. City Girl (F.W. Murnau)
#22. A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir)

I enjoyed Gold Diggers plenty but did not vote for it.

Port of Shadows happened to be the only movie on my long 30's watchlist that I just couldn't get ahold of. I will look again.

Have never seen Port of Shadows and I have seen Gold Diggers of 1933 and really enjoyed it, but it didn't make my list. So it's a no-go again today for me.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)

one step closer on my Jean Gabin film watch tonight with Renoir's La Bête Humaine with the truly intoxicating Simone Simon. My god, just her voice alone creates shivers.
Anyway, with the DVD I got to watch a short introduction by Renoir about the film and a short behind the scenes trivia which I really enjoyed hearing him tell his story about the film and how he envisioned it and all they did regarding the trains and filming on one.
This is an excellent film that delves into the human condition and the dangers therein. I truly do not want to go further than that and reveal what happens, so I will simply say, that with every Gabin film, as well as Simon, I have truly found gold and will continue to forage for more.

Watched 28/52 (53.8%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I thought Dark Victory was on my list, but I just double-checked, and it apparently got cut in the final round of cuts. It's a great movie, but it somehow didn't make my list.

Horse Feathers is another great movie, but it's not the Marx Brothers movie on my list.

I considered Gold Diggers of 1933 for my list, but it just didn't make my final list.

I've never heard of Port of Shadows.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Port of Shadows was my number four!

Gold N... Diggers of 1933 is a phenomenal musical, but didn't make it to my list!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Olympia is a nicely put together chronicle of the 36' Berlin Olympic Games with the first part being slightly the better of the two imo but it didn't quite make my ballot. I sadly didn't manage to find time for Mr. Deeds Goes To Town.

Seen: 32/54
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
5. Le jour se lève [Daybreak] (Marcel Carné, 1939) [#57]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
11. Dark Victory (Edmund Goulding, 1939) [#52]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
21. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse [The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse] (Fritz Lang, 1933) [#56]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
46. City Lights
45. Of Mice And Men

I voted for Mr. Deeds and liked it quite a bit more than the more celebrated Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I liked the first part of Olympia more than the second, and it was in contention for my list.

9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)

heard a lot of talk about Olympia during the Women Directors HoF and Countdown but still have not seen it and Mr. Deeds goes on the Haven't, F@ckin Should List.

Watched 28/54 (51.8%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But my clothes are all dirty. Why can't I change?

Anyway...

Olympia was my number ONE!!!

It's Leni Riefenstahl's magnum opus, and one of the very few things Nazis did that turned out for something good. It's relatively low on propaganda when compared to other Leni Nazi documentaries, and it showcases the beauty of sport through a bunch of wonderful, fresh cinematography techniques. It's one of the movies I greatly recommend to watch on a first date. Unless your date is bald. Then, Triumph of the Will is more suitable.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more from my list. You might have seen this too often but here goes:

The really striking parts of Olympia are when she adds in "recreated" scenes where the camera is following a runner over his shoulder or the coxswain right in his face. At the beginning of each part, there are expressionistic scenes showing the origin of the ancient Olympic Games and an idyllic episode by a lake and at a sauna. The original intent of the film may have been to document the superiority of the Germans, but the actual results surprisingly show America and Jesse Owens thwarting Hitler at almost every turn.

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

This Robert Riskin-scripted film couldn't be simpler in its plot, but it still packs a wallop as both a hilarious comedy and a powerful look at greed. I still laugh and cry, almost nonstop, during the film. Gary Cooper plays Longfellow Deeds, a simple resident of Mandrake Falls, Vermont. His favorite things in life are playing his tuba, chasing fire engines and writing greeting cards to earn the modest amount of money he needs to support himself. However, a distant relative dies and leaves him $20 million, and remember, we're talking about the Great Depression here. (If 20 mil isn't enough for you, in today's dollars, that's at least 250 mil!) Deeds goes to New York City where lawyers, "relatives" and everyone you can imagine try to get a piece of his pie, but the funny thing is that Deeds doesn't want the money. He just wants to make sure that as many people who need it get some and that those who don't need it don't get any of it.

Among the characters Deeds meets in NYC are his dead relative's smarmy chief lawyer John Cedar (Douglas Dumbrille) who mistakes him for a simpleton, Cedar's assistant 'Corny' Collins (Lionel Stander) who likes Deeds so much that he basically "defects" to Deeds' side, and up-and-coming reporter 'Babe' Bennett (Jean Arthur) who is pushed (not all that hard) by her editor (George Bancroft) to get all the juicy news on Deeds while she poses as a "damsel in distress" (since Mr. Deeds really wants to save one of those). It's Babe's up-close-and-personal articles in the newspaper which turn Deeds into something of a laughingstock, even though he's very attracted to her, and most all of his "misDeeds" could be explained by not understanding his big city surroundings, trying to be a gentleman knight or having too much to drink with somebody who isn't really his friend (yet).

Since Mr. Deeds actually has a plan and wants to give his money to those he sees as the deserving poor, his lawyers construe to have him declared "crazy", supported by 'Babe''s stories, and he's brought to trial to decide if he should be in charge of his new fortune or should it be the lawyers, who basically want it all for themselves. The trial would be wonderful if it only had the terms "pixilated", "doodler" and "O-filler", but of course, it has so much more.

Capra got the second of his three Best Director Oscars in the '30s for Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, and Riskin got his third of four nominations for the film. It may well show a simpler world, but it still shows a resonant one, which any movie buff should feel free to avail oneself, not only to see how sophisticated a 1930s film could be in direction, script and acting, but to also just reaffirm that people 70 years ago (including your own great grandparents) weren't really that different from you on the inside, even if they didn't play video games, have cell phones or spend godawful amounts of time on the computer (guilty!). There are so many wonderful scenes in the movie, but the trial is really the high point and foreshadows the trial in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington three years later. This film certainly contains one of Gary Cooper's best performances, just as Mr. Smith has one of Jimmy Stewart's. Summing it up, I'd say that when Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, it's a win-win situation for both the (long-gone) filmmakers and all past and future film watchers.
Seen 54/54
My List
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
10. Olympia (48)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
23. Gunga Din (61)
24. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
25. Horse Feathers (51)