MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

kind of a tough call. We had a very basic three cliques: Straight A's, Jocks and Burnouts with a number of people that crossed over and a very few rare that were all three.
That was me and it still is that way.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I belonged to my own clique. I got along with some and not with others. My sophomore year, my brother who was 5 years older than me, was a senior and all the girls who was my age was hot for my bro. They were the mean b*tches to me until they learned who he was. I had some good memories and bad because of this I will never go to any high school reunions.

We had preps, jocks, rockers, nerds, drug heads, no-bodies and me.

I learned a few things in my life that has gotten me through.

1.learn to accept everyone.
2. Learn to be able to converse with anyone..so that means learn a lot of things.
And most importantly,

If they don't like me, that's their problem, not mine.
That's a solid 3 life lessons that everyone should know and follow.
Cliques seemed foolish after the fact for me since before then, we were all just "kids" going to school. But it would be a lie if I claimed that I didn't follow along the clique protocol at the time of high school.
Life did become far more intriguing and exciting when I stopped shortly after the end of high school.

@Citizen Rules, this was on the radio and made me want to post to you

Grease has to be one of the movies most guilty of having actors approaching middle age playing teenagers!

Stockard Channing was 33-years-old and Michael Tuuci was 31 when the movie was made!

Still a great teen musical!

That's a solid 3 life lessons that everyone should know and follow.
Cliques seemed foolish after the fact for me since before then, we were all just "kids" going to school. But it would be a lie if I claimed that I didn't follow along the clique protocol at the time of high school.
Life did become far more intriguing and exciting when I stopped shortly after the end of high school.
They are things we realized as adults but still as teens, we try to fit in because friendships are important. I don't have any friendships from high school. My daughter was lucky to keep few as close friends. She's only 25 years old but things may change as life continues to change for her.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

So far I've watched 4 teen movies and I've enjoyed everyone of them. And yet they're all very different.

Can't Buy Me Love
is more comedy than the others, but...what I liked is it never went overboard with the jokes. And it did evoke some strong emotions from me as it covers some pretty heavy stuff in the movie. There are two ultimate truths in this movie. I don't know if others will agree, but I sure seen them.

I liked Patrick Dempsey's character in the movie. I'm impressed and can't think of another actor who could have pulled off the unpopular geeky kid who then buys his way into the 'cool clique' of kids. He handled all of that really well.

Amanda Peterson who played the head cheerleader and most popular girl in school, was also impressive in this. She wasn't just a stereo type but we learn that she has her own price to pay for being popular...and we see that for her being popular isn't always a positive thing. I was really sad to read about Amanda Peterson on Wiki She was only 15 when she made the movie and reading about her life made me feel even more melancholy about the movie. And that's the main emotion I felt during the movie, a sense of melancholy and loss...and I like movies like that.

I think the build up to the end was pretty great with Patrick Dempsey's character being exposed as a fraud and how the entire school ostracized him. If I could change one thing it would be the last minute of the film:

WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
I wish at the very end of the film the girl had NOT came back to him. For me the happy ending diminished the strength of the previous moments when he tells her he's glad all of this happened to him as he learned the importance of being who you are.

Good nom bro! @Velvet

Once Bitten
(1985)

1980's Teen Movies never tend to grow old. Once Bitten was just as great as any other time I have seen it. A great film for Halloween as well. Jim (James) Carrey is funny and Lauren Hutton is still beautiful for her age. In the dance sequence, Jim reminds me of a "younger Dick Van Dyke", which is one of the great comedians of all time. Also, he has a way of making facial expressions that will keep you laughing.

As Robin and Mark arrived at the school dance, there was a song that was playing and I was like "I know those lyrics". The song was sung on the film by a female band but I knew that wasn't the real version of the song. I looked it up and yes, I absolutely knew the song. It was from the 1982 album "Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet" performed by Rick Springfield.

I feel this is like my other favorite 80s films, "Pretty In Pink" and "The Breakfast Club", that I could just randomly watch it over and over again.

@Sir Toose

Hellraiser, though? I mean, it's cool, but is it a teen movie? Maybe it is, I haven't seen it in a long time.
I suppose an argument could be made either way. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted this.

Anyway - I sort of see the mainstream horror franchises as teen appealing (Friday the 13th, Scream, Nightmare etc.).

I suppose an argument could be made either way. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted this.

Anyway - I sort of see the mainstream horror franchises as teen appealing (Friday the 13th, Scream, Nightmare etc.).
Yeah it's odd no teen horror came up or any popular mainstream/John Hughes either.

Lucas (1986)

I didn't care for this one. I found the character Lucas to be an annoying little sh**. I didn't view him as the endearing underdog that we usually cheer for in these kinds of movies. He was more creepy and bizarre than anything else. I kept thinking he would be the type of passive-aggressive misfit who would show up at school with a gun. That's the kind of weird vibe I got from him. And that kept me from liking the film. He was rather stupid too for such a smart kid, I mean when I was 14 I had enough sense not to bring tadpoles to school and try to give them to a 16 year old girl. Lucas is clueless, hell he actually had a chance with Winona Ryder's character but he didn't even care.

As much as I didn't like Lucas...I did like both Charlie Sheen and Kerri Green. Both of them had good screen presences and I instantly connected to their characters. I wish the film had left Lucas out and been about them instead.

The other thing I didn't like was the script/writing. Sure the premise sounds good, but the pacing of the film and the way scenes progressed seemed pretty amateurish. It's like the director, who also wrote the movie, didn't know how to connect the scenes together. The film just kind of meanders and is lackluster. It reminded me of an old after school TV movie special.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucas 1986.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	49291  

Can't Buy Me Love
(1987)

This is a common thing in most 80's Teen films, the clique. Cliques tend to be important to younger people but as they grow older they learn that they are meaningless. Some say it helps create the person we are meant to be. But if you notice, most cliques are judgemental to one or more other cliques. Society, over the years, has taught us to take whatever it means to success, from business to friendships,

I enjoyed this movie again. There was many "Ronnie's" out there when I was growing up. People who just wanted to belong to a more social higher group. Once he got to the standard he wanted to, he wanted more. More isn't what he needed, it took him past of who he really was.

Cindy is the girl every girl wanted to be in high school. The popular, most beautiful person full of friends. Friends that may be shallow or sincere but everyone wanted to be a "Cindy". I knew a lot of "Cindys" during my high school years. Even today I see it, people who havent moved on in life but look back into these cliques.

This was a heart-warming fun teen movie. A movie that most probably has seen from my generation, if not in continuing generations.

Trivia: did anyone take notice who played Ronnie's little brother, Chuckie?

Can't Buy Me Love
(1987)

This is a common thing in most 80's Teen films, the clique. Cliques tend to be important to younger people but as they grow older they learn that they are meaningless. Some say it helps create the person we are meant to be. But if you notice, most cliques are judgemental to one or more other cliques. Society, over the years, has taught us to take whatever it means to success, from business to friendships,

I enjoyed this movie again. There was many "Ronnie's" out there when I was growing up. People who just wanted to belong to a more social higher group. Once he got to the standard he wanted to, he wanted more. More isn't what he needed, it took him past of who he really was.

Cindy is the girl every girl wanted to be in high school. The popular, most beautiful person full of friends. Friends that may be shallow or sincere but everyone wanted to be a "Cindy". I knew a lot of "Cindys" during my high school years. Even today I see it, people who havent moved on in life but look back into these cliques.

This was a heart-warming fun teen movie. A movie that most probably has seen from my generation, if not in continuing generations.

Trivia: did anyone take notice who played Ronnie's little brother, Chuckie?
Seth Greeeen!

I love Can't Buy me Love, and I cannot WAIT to watch it again. It's one of those films that just delivers every single time. Nice review, miss!

Lucas (1986)

I didn't care for this one. I found the character Lucas to be an annoying little sh**.
LMAO!!

Right?!

I'm sorry, but I feel the same way. I got bummed out every time Lucas showed up but loved the peripheral apsects/characters of the film...and that ending song...GEEEEZZ!!

Can't Buy Me Love
(1987)

This is a common thing in most 80's Teen films, the clique. Cliques tend to be important to younger people but as they grow older they learn that they are meaningless. Some say it helps create the person we are meant to be. But if you notice, most cliques are judgemental to one or more other cliques. Society, over the years, has taught us to take whatever it means to success, from business to friendships,...
You know I thought about you when I watched this movie as you had talked about high school cliques. I didn't know that word in school. Maybe I wasn't paying attention Or maybe it became a term after movies like Can't Buy Me Love came out. My school I guess had cliques but I don't remember things being so grouped like in this move. Still I liked the movie.

You know I thought about you when I watched this movie as you had talked about high school cliques. I didn't know that word in school. Maybe I wasn't paying attention Or maybe it became a term after movies like Can't Buy Me Love came out. My school I guess had cliques but I don't remember things being so grouped like in this move. Still I liked the movie.
Are you kidding me?? both "Pretty In Pink" and "The Breakfast Club" are about cliques and wanting to fit in ....

and you say I'm the "Allison" of the forum! j/k

Just because I already wrote a review of it, here's Weird Science and what I thought of it. I do plan on watching it again soon, but I already know that my thoughts are solid until doomsday.

Sorry bout the dead links...use your imagination//

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...32#post1813532

Are you kidding me?? both "Pretty In Pink" and "The Breakfast Club" are about cliques and wanting to fit in ....

and you say I'm the "Allison" of the forum! j/k
I mean when I was in high school we didn't use the word clique, I never heard of it until much later. I'm not sure which movie use that term first.