MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Oh man, I got confused for a min thinking I had to answer because of our B movie II HoF lol..speaking of shich, I still have some films to watch there....I need to FOCUS!!!!
That's cause you work so many hours, that half of you is still on the job I was reading the shoutbox, you're like Rush's Working Man for sure. Yikes, I hope your works hour get better someday.

I love that you know Rush

I love that you know Rush
I scalped tickets to Rush once when I was in high school. I use to make spending money that way. Though sad I didn't end up going to the concert myself, it was for Moving Pictures.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I scalped tickets to Rush once when I was in high school. I use to make spending money that way. Though sad I didn't end up going to the concert myself, it was for Moving Pictures.
that's hilarious I went to that show here in Detroit. Would have loved to have seen them a few years before during their 2112 and Hemisphere albums. But still, great show.
Got properly medicated for that one too.

Crossroads (1986)
*spoilers*

I really liked this. It's a very different type of film and it surprised me, that's a good thing.

I figure if the movie holds my interest and I'm into the story, I don't check the clock too much and I do think about the movie the next day...Then that's a good movie in my book. And Crossroads did all that for me.

It's a very different mix of styles. At first I thought it would be like Karate Kid with Ralph Macchio reprising his role. But then the movie turns more serious and we see his character Lighting Boy getting involved in crime and even packing a gun. I was really surprised the film had the girl Frances, played by Jami Gertz getting involved in prostitution.

Then just when I thought I had a handle on the film, it shifts gears and we get this twist style ending with the devil and a play off for ownership of the soul. The movie reminded me of the country westeren song
The Devil Went Down to Georgia by the Charlie Daniels band in 1979.

Oh, also it was very cool to see Tim Russ (Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager) in the beginning of the film as the young Blind Dog.

I dug the entire blues scene and the music and really enjoyed the on-location shooting in Mississippi.

Very impressive film and one that has set the bar high for me in the HoF. @ynwtf
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossroads.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	49249  

Three O'Clock High (1987)
*spoiler*

Another surprisingly different type of teen movie, I liked it!...When it first started, I thought, what the hell it's a Ferris Bueller clone. Nope it's not! It's very different, which is a big plus. The movie surprised me at the turns it took. The entire story takes place in one school day...with a whole lot of crap happening to our protagonist. Who btw, really looked like a young Kevin Spacey.

I kept thinking the movie was set in the 90s as the kids all looked like they belonged on the set of the Cosby TV show, with their short hair and sweater vest. I doubt anyone here but MovieGal and me will know why these kids looked like that...anyone got a guess?

That was called the preppie look. I never went for it, I had the rocker look with long hair, but I remember seeing kids with the preppie look and I thought it was lame, ha

Back to the movie, these actors were all unknown but they sure pulled it off and I have to say the fight scene at the end was riveting! I was screaming knock the *&%$# head off !...OK I wasn't actually screaming at the TV screen, but I was kind of thinking it.

Cool nom @Joel
Attachments

Name:	Three O Clock High 1987.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	49252  

Nice review @Citizen Rules!

I'm glad you got a kick out of it.

I forget how people dressed back in the day, but I swear I was there!

I thought the movie was very skillfully done with the camera work and editing/sound..not to mention it was ON FIRE with creativity and good humor bits!

Looking forward to the rest of the noms!

I'll have to choke down Akira, though. Just being honest. I hate animation. Even if it has violence and swearing/nudity. I like real actors, not dubbed voices or subtitled cartoons...ACK! THE WORST!!!!

hey @Larry, would you like to give me a movie poster for your nomination so I can post on the first page?

Preppie look vs Rocker look huh @Citizen Rules.

Ok seriously.. if you want.. I will post my senior picture so you can tell me what type of clique I belonged to... let me know when you are all ready to be scared.

This is me 33 years ago. When I graduated high school in 1985. The picture was actually taken in Summer of 1984 right before my senior year.

I haven't changed much. Still have short hair but a more modern style.

So what "clique" did I belong to?

hey @Larry, would you like to give me a movie poster for your nomination so I can post on the first page?

Preppie look vs Rocker look huh @Citizen Rules.

Ok seriously.. if you want.. I will post my senior picture so you can tell me what type of clique I belonged to... let me know when you are all ready to be scared.
That's a great senior pic of you MG.

Oh, I already made Larry a movie poster, I'll PM you.

Got it done @Citizen Rules

I think I scared some already
It's a nice pic you smiled. I like to see it in color. We did color photos for the seniors when I was in school. I should dig out the old senior year book and look at it someday.

Maybe we can get some more teen pics of the HoF members? I love to see what @Joel @gbgoodies @edarsenal and everyone else...looked like back in high school.

Heaven Help Us (1985)

This was Cricket's nomination before he withdrew from this Hof. It's NOT required for the members to watch, but I wanted to see it anyway

And I'm very glad I did watch it, it's a serious drama about a harsh Catholic boy's school in 1965. A lot of the filming was done on location which really makes the film feel real. Even though it's a drama it has a few comic moments that I enjoyed too.

This was the debut film of Kevin Dillion who would go on to star in Platoon. Dillion's performance alone is worth watching! He's so good at portraying his character, he's quite colorful. John Heard as the kindly, young Catholic Brother was a nice role and he balanced out another strong performance by Jay Patterson who plays a sadistic Catholic Brother. Andrew McCarthy who starred in a number of brat pack teen movies is pretty good as the quiet new student who comes into the world of the Catholic School. Heck everyone is good!

This would have finished high on my list had the movie remained in the HoF. Good movie @cricket
Attachments

Name:	Heaven Help Us.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	49269  

@cat_sidhe was correct....an early Nick Cage film.

I feel this is one of the most beautiful sad song ever...its featured in an 80s teen movie as well..

Which one?

I bet only myself and @mark f know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

This is me 33 years ago. When I graduated high school in 1985. The picture was actually taken in Summer of 1984 right before my senior year.

I haven't changed much. Still have short hair but a more modern style.

So what "clique" did I belong to?
kind of a tough call. We had a very basic three cliques: Straight A's, Jocks and Burnouts with a number of people that crossed over and a very few rare that were all three.
You could have easily been a cross over, question, which crossovers?

And while I don't have a senior photo or yearbook since I didn't even take one, but I can dig up my Junior yearbook and it'll be obvious which clique I was part of. lol

I belonged to my own clique. I got along with some and not with others. My sophomore year, my brother who was 5 years older than me, was a senior and all the girls who was my age was hot for my bro. They were the mean b*tches to me until they learned who he was. I had some good memories and bad because of this I will never go to any high school reunions.

We had preps, jocks, rockers, nerds, drug heads, no-bodies and me.

I learned a few things in my life that has gotten me through.

1.learn to accept everyone.
2. Learn to be able to converse with anyone..so that means learn a lot of things.
And most importantly,

If they don't like me, that's their problem, not mine.