The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's been awhile since I seen Destry Rides Again, fun film. I watched Humanity and Paper Balloons for the 30s HoF Part 2. A very different type of 1930s Japanese film, I liked it. But neither made my list.

Destry Rides Again was a surprise and a total blast but it did not quite make my list.

I watched Humanity and Paper Balloons twice and liked it.

Another couple I watched and enjoyed in the main, but sadly not enough for either to make an appearance on my ballot. Mildly surprised Destry Rides Again didn't feature a little higher on the countdown though.

Seen: 19/30 (phew, no more commentary reqd I hope)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
70. Stand-In
69. In Old Chicago

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I did have Destry Rides Again at 19, because, well James Stewart is the man and I really thought it was an entertaining movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm admittedly a bit sad Humanity made it but no Red Dust
still early, still a chance.

Been ages since I've seen Dietrich and Stewart in Destry Rides Again and should do revisit to reacquaint myself.
Saw Humanity for the 30s Part 2 HoF

Humanity and Paper Balloons

The title of this film is a very poetic expression of what was to be experienced. Though I must say there was more humor than I had expected and thought there would be a more precarious, albeit trauma-filled movie. Instead, there was a very good balance of, for the lack of a better word: humanity to this film. Expressed in the various tenants and spreading out to the landlord and the samurai "boss".

Even though there was a short run time to this, it still went along quite quickly, saying a lot of the entertainment and how well it kept me intrigued as well as involved in the various characters and everything that occurred.

It did have a very nice return to the start with death playing a factor in both the beginning and the completion of the film. Tying in the Humanity of it with all the life that transpires between the two.

This is quite the hidden gem. Thank you pahaK for sharing it.

Watched 17/30 (56.6%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Destry Rides Again is a rip-roaring western with Stewart as a pacifist sheriff and Marlene Dietrich as the singer who helps him out and is the inspiration for the Madeline Kahn character in Blazing Saddles. It's a great combo of drama, comedy, music and action but didn't make my Top 25.

Humanity and Paper Balloons is a surprisingly-contemporary tale of power, corruption, the class system [and actually, the weather!] although it's set in feudal Japan. Powerful bookends also help out even if I found some of the storytelling and characters confusing in their particulars if not in what they represent. Not on my list.

Destry Rides Again was my #15. To steal an adjective from Mark, it's a "rip-roaring" good time and a classic of the western genre for a reason. James Stewart once again laying on that effortless charm. The sexy spitfire Marlene Dietrich playing a more empowered female role than you typically find in westerns. Her constant catfights in the saloon were a riot, and I also enjoyed her musical numbers. The movie is well-written, well-acted, well-paced. The final shoot-out is thrilling. I preferred the first half of the film, with its playful, silly tone, but the more predictable second half didn't affect my opinion enough to keep this from being one of the most entertaining classic westerns I've seen.

Swing Time was my #17. Admittedly, all of the Astaire/Rogers musicals have blended together in my memory, but this was my introduction to them, so perhaps that's why it remains my favorite. In the debate between Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, I'm Team Astaire. There's something off-putting about him initially. He's unattractive, arrogant, a bit smarmy, but then he starts dancing and you become spellbound. Suddenly he seems cool. Suddenly it makes sense that a babe like Ginger Rogers would be romantically interested in him. The plot of Swing Time is forgettable, but the dance numbers are timeless. The chemistry between Astaire and Rogers is magical. Just an all-around delightful, enchanting film. Between the Busby Berkeley numbers and the Astaire/Rogers collaborations that I've watched in preparation for this countdown, I've become a fan of musicals, a genre that I used to consider my least favorite.

My List So Far:
#3) Footlight Parade
#15) Destry Rides Again
#16) Stage Door
#17) Swing Time
#25) Suzy (one-pointer)

Ah, now I've hit on one! I had Destry Rides Again at #8 on my list. I love this movie so much. Rauld is right, James Stewart is the man so naturally I had to pick at least a couple more of his for my list. I'm hoping they'll show up in the top # 25.

#8 Destry Rides Again (72)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Top Hat was close to making my list, but I chose a different Astaire/Rogers movie.

I saw Destry Rides Again a long time ago, and it was on my watchlist to rewatch it for this countdown, but I ran out of time, so it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen City Girl or Humanity and Paper Balloons.

Couldn't locate a copy of L'Atalante that had English subs in time so never got round to that one but did watch the original A Star Is Born and loved it enough for it to make the number 19 spot on my ballot.

Seen: 20/32
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
68. Triumph Of The Will
67. Mysterious Mr. Moto

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As per usual, this film has grown on me but not enough to raise my rating more than from a minus to a plus.
L'Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)
-

Vigo's final film is considered a poetic masterpiece full of historical significance, but as I find some of Renolr's earliest films a tad uninteresting, I find that this film offers modest charms today. Boris Kaufman's cinematography is still entrancing, and Michel Simon (Boudu Saved From Drowning) is able to breathe life into a full-fledged eccenctric character, but the central romance doesn't captivate, and the film seems mostly an excuse for trying out some new filmmaking techniques, involving light and sound. I'd say that it still should be watched, but I wouldn't get my hopes overinflated.
A Star Is Born is very good with strong Wellman direction, Janet Gaynor and Fredric March performances and early Technicolor cinematography. As people know, it's been remade numerous times and is itself a variation of an earlier Bing Crosby film, What Price Hollywood?, which was directed by George Cukor who later did the Judy Garland A Star Is Born Even though I like it, I like much of the same team's and same year's screwball classic Nothing Sacred better.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen either one and just recently watched the second remake with Judy Garland which I quite enjoyed and should watch the original A Star is Born with March.

Watched 17/32 (53.1%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)