The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Absolutely love Bachelor Mother and I was sure I put it on my list, but after double-checking I see I was wrong. I also see a couple I might have replaced for Bachelor Mother, but alas. I think Ginger Rogers has never looked more beautiful than in that movie, especially when she's looking down at the baby in the crib.

Hell's Angels I haven't seen but I recently read an article about Howard Hughes and his ordeals getting the movie made and how he filmed actual pilots, minus rear-screen projection (at least that's what I read) doing dogfights over Los Angeles while James Whale filmed the dramatic scenes on the ground. It was a very interesting article that made me want to see the movie, which I will as soon as I get the chance.

Neither made my list, but I know most every movie that's made the countdown so it's very cool!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Absolutely love Bachelor Mother and I was sure I put it on my list, but after double-checking I see I was wrong. I also see a couple I might have replaced for Bachelor Mother, but alas. I think Ginger Rogers has never looked more beautiful than in that movie, especially when she's looking down at the baby in the crib.

Hell's Angels I haven't seen but I recently read an article about Howard Hughes and his ordeals getting the movie made and how he filmed actual pilots, minus rear-screen projection (at least that's what I read) doing dogfights over Los Angeles while James Whale filmed the dramatic scenes on the ground. It was a very interesting article that made me want to see the movie, which I will as soon as I get the chance.

Neither made my list, but I know most every movie that's made the countdown so it's very cool!
I've put off Hell's Angels forever and a day and SO very glad I finally did.
I'm sure you'd get a kick out of it and like I said in my post, youtube has a really great version of it for when you finally get around to it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Bachelor Mother is the first movie from my list to make the countdown. I had hoped it would have been higher on the countdown, but I'm glad to see that it made it. It was #9 on my list.

I think I saw Young Mr. Lincoln many years ago, but it was on my watchlist to rewatch it for this countdown, (and it's still on my DVR), but I just couldn't find the time to watch it.

Hell's Angels was also on my watchlist for this countdown, but I couldn't find the time to watch it.

I haven't heard of Stella Dallas.

Didn't get around to Bachelor Mother. did watch Hell's Angels though and for a while it was in contention for a place on my ballot but ultimately didn't make it.

Seen: 5/16 (still embarrassingly low)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
84. The Rains Came
83. Osaka Elegy

Watched both of those. The Most Dangerous Game is the type of tale I loved in my youth and whilst it's a bit hammy in places once it gets going it's a pretty fun watch imo. A Day In The Country is a mixed bag for me, some of the acting is pretty poor but it's nicely shot and does build interest even if it is incomplete and over too soon. Neither made my ballot.

Seen: 7/18 (still embarrassingly low)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
82. Dodsworth
81. Anna Karenina

The Most Dangerous Game was one of the first old movies I watched back when I was getting into movies. I had seen It Happened One Night, and immediately wanted to see everything with Claudette Colbert in it Claudette plays a mousey school teacher, much different than her role of the saucy Cleopatra in the film of the same name. I had forgotten Fay Wray was in this, another good reason to rewatch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Neither made my list. The Most Dangerous Game is a precursor to the same filmmakers' King Kong [with its two leads], and if you look closely you can see the same sets in both films. After a somewhat slow start, the second half is pretty exciting but the ending is very abrupt.

A Day in the Country is a 40-minute compilation of Renoir's unfinished film edited by others and released 10 years after its filming. It looks terrific and has the naturalism that the director is known for. Too bad that Renoir never finished it.

Saw A day in the country for this list and enjoyed it. Camo adored it so I figured I should see it. It was very good but didn't make my list. if I am honest I don't usually consider shorts.

Saw A day in the country for this list and enjoyed it. Camo adored it so I figured I should see it. It was very good but didn't make my list. if I am honest I don't usually consider shorts.
A Day in the Country was Camo's #4 on his list.

Glad to see A Day in the Country. I wasn't sure if it would make it.

My List
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
#22. A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir)

Haven't seen A Day in the Country...in fact, haven't seen any Renoir films. Might change that one day. I saw The Most Dangerous Game years and years ago after I'd read the short story in Middle School. I enjoyed it quite a bit but forgot all about it when this list came up. I'm glad that this list is reminding me of films I'd like to see or re-watch.

Unregistered User
The Most Dangerous Game was my number 6 pick (I think). I only watched it for the first time last year or so but I absolutely adored it. Like Mark said, it does start off fairly slow but it really does heat up. Great film and just over an hour long.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I absolutely hated The Most Dangerous Game. I did find A Day in the Country to be pretty decent though, but it didn't make my list. That puts me at 3 movies seen.