The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yay. first of my list to make the countdown in Stella Dallas which has a fantastic performance from Ms. Stanwyck and is genuinely emotional imo. Didn't get round to Young Mr. Lincoln, would probably have been one of my next ten watches.

Seen: 4/14 (still embarrassingly low)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
86. Desire
85. Sons Of The Desert

Haven't seen Stella Dallas but it's one I really do want to see. Stanwyck was a great actress and quite a looker in her younger days. It's been ages since I've seen Young Mr. Lincoln but I wanted to re-watch it and several others for the countdown but just didn't get to in time. Still I do represent John Ford on my list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't seen Stella and haven't seen Young Lincoln for quite some time. Was going to try to rewatch it for the Countdown and, sadly, did not.

Watched 8/14 (57.1%)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Stella Dallas seems to grow more honest and profound each year even though it's an extremely sentimental melodrama. Barbara Stanwyck is incredible in her often silent performance expressing motherly love, pride and personal embarrassment. Good but I didn't list it.

Young Mr. Lincoln has never been a fave but it's Ford, so it should be seen by serious MoFos.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
So many Hollywood films. I bet some essential foreign masterpieces won't even make it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

So many Hollywood films. I bet some essential foreign masterpieces won't even make it.
gasp!

edit: quite surprised young mr lincoln came in so low

I'm curious, did you send in a list, and, thereby, assist in bringing forth any number of those foreign masterpieces?

Also, if you look, there have been two French films so far. One of them in One Pointers.

Two more from my list! I had Bachelor Mother at #19 after seeing it in the 30s HoF.

Bachelor Mother

Like any proper screwball comedy, the premise should be outlandish and this has a fun little wind-up and the pitch.
Ginger Rogers proves unequivocally that her comedic timing is equal to her dancing skill as she gets mistaken for a mother dropping off an unwanted baby. And then! In anticipation of @cricket's funny comment: "I read a quick synopsis somewhere before watching that said she finds a foundling. I didn't know what that was, but for some reason, I thought it had something to do with ducks. When it then shows her working with all those ducks, I couldn't believe I was right. Of course, after a few minutes, I found out I wasn't." The ducks! THE DUCKS! SO MANY DUCKS! (I actually thought that this was going to involve real ducks in a pond or some sort lol)
Thinking of the Cast Credits in Bride of Frankenstein, I had to chuckle to see that they even listed Donald Duck, played by Himself.

Along with the shout out to Gunga Din I also caught the venue for another 30s film I need to see: Love Affair with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer on their night out.
It was also nice to recognize Frank Albertson, playing Freddie, whom I've only known from It's a Wonderful Life where he plays Sam Wainwright ( the one who's always doing the "EeeYAW" every time you see him). I would have loved to see more of Charles Coburn whom I love, but very, very happy enjoying Rogers and the flustered Nivens going back and forth.

There is one particular scene that really made me laugh. In the park, where there is another mother bragging about her child being physically ideal, or some such and they do a shot of both babies, the goofy look on the one baby's face made me laugh and back it up to see it again. It was frickin priceless.

A fun little romantic comedy, that. THANKS CR for nominating it!
And I was FINALLY able to see this incredible aerial epic a few days before the deadline for this countdown on youtube (here's a link for anyone thinking of checking it out) placing it at #4.

Hell's Angels (1930)
My final movie to watch before making my List for the 30s Countdown and what a HELLUVA movie!
With the sultry Jean Harlowe intoxicating a pair of brothers (and anyone else she encounters) a chunk of this film centers around this. But the REAL film is the aerial combat and the grit of the action as well as some key scenes that made my jaw drop.

Some intriguing filming, such as the night flying was done in a blue monochrome and the party that the three leading characters are at was in color. Which I really did appreciate when viewing this.

And, should anyone be interested:

Watched 10/16 (62.5%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm curious, did you send in a list, and, thereby, assist in bringing forth any number of those foreign masterpieces?
If I counted correctly 19 out of 25 on my list were non-English language.
Also, if you look, there have been two French films so far. One of them in One Pointers.
Yep, guess whose one pointer was Wooden Crosses.

If I counted correctly 19 out of 25 on my list were non-English language.
Yep, guess whose one pointer was Wooden Crosses.
Well then, since your one pointer is something I'm very keen to see, I am very curious to see what other essential gems you voted for. Which is one of the many reasons I enjoy these countdowns. Finding great films I would not have found on my own.
So (far) thank you for nominating La Croix de Bois!