The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sadly I couldn't find a copy of À nous la liberté with subs and mon français is far too rusty to do without these days. Did give The Black Cat a spin and it's fairly enjoyable but was not in with any chance of making my final ballot.

Seen: 3/12 (shame on me)
My list:
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
88. Four Daughters
87. Pépé le Moko

I felt like I covered the 30's pretty well but there's another two I'm not familiar with. Perhaps I saw The Black Cat as a kid but I don't remember.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Black Cat turns Poe's story into a sadistic battle of two weirdos, and sadistic it truly is. Cool art deco sets too.

À Nous la Liberté is a political satire with many of Clair's usual visual flourishes which unfortunately is now known mostly for its legal problens with Chaplin's Modern Times. The whole film is on YouTube but here's an example.

I didn't list either though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have heard of but haven't seen Love Me Tonight. Have seen all the Marx Brothers movies and loved 'em all. It's funny about that clip you posted, mark f...they do that Maurice Chevalier song at another time...I believe when they're trying to sneak on a ship and the one I'm talking about is a bit funnier, especially when it gets to Harpo's imitation. I do have a Marx Brothers film on the list but not Monkey Business. I had to put my favorite MB movie on here. It's nice to see this great films here as I'm a bit of a Turner Classic Movies junkie and love old movies.
that's correct, they're trying to get off the steam ship. Zeppo pick pocketed Chevalier's passport and each of them used it and did an imitation trying to get off the ship. And yes, Harpo's rendition is the funniest. Using a tiny phonograph tied to his back.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Been a few decades since I last saw the Black Cat and have vague recollections of it and should simply do a rewatch for Halloween.
Have not heard of À Nous la Liberté, so there's one more for the watchlist.

LOOOVE that image!!

Watched 7/12 (58.3%)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven 1 Pointer

Well, I've never heard of À Nous la Liberté so it didn't make my list. Neither did The Black Cat but I do love that movie---both Karloff and Lugosi are bonkers in the movie, so it's hard to say who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, except that Lugosi is fairly sane for the bulk of the picture until the last, where he does what @mark f posted in that awesome caricature! Thankfully, it was shown only in shadow but it still left an impact. I need to watch it again.

The Black Cat turns Poe's story into a sadistic battle of two weirdos, and sadistic it truly is. Cool art deco sets too.
I love me an artistic movie set, and especially if it's done in 30s art deco. Halloween's coming up.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw The Hound of the Baskervilles way back when I was in high school, but I didn't like it enough to want to watch it again.

I haven't heard of The Informer and Love Me Tonight, but they both sound interesting, so I added them to my watchlist.

I had a Marx Brothers movie on my list, but it wasn't Monkey Business. It's a good movie, but IMO, there are better Marx Brothers movies.

I saw an old horror movie called The Black Cat a few years ago, but I think it was a different movie. This movie doesn't sound like my kind of movie.

I've never heard of À Nous la Liberté.

That's the second movie from director John Ford to make the countdown...and the second movie from Barbara Stanwyck to make this countdown.

Stella Dallas is a favorite of mine and Barbara Stanwyck is one of my favorite actresses. It almost made my list, but I had to cut so many great films to get my list down to only 25. If you haven't seen it, it's a good one.

Young Mr. Lincoln is the first I have seen and first from my list. Of the handful of Ford I have seen this is by far my favorite. I had it at 11.

I was one of the two who voted for The Informer, the only of my twenty-five to show, thus far. I had it all the way up as my number five, accounting for 21 of its 35 points.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Young Mr. Lincoln is one of the best looking films of the decade.

The plot doesn't really hope up its end unfortunately but I'd still recommend it.