Planet of Storms
Planeta Bur (1962)
(Original Title)

Director: Pavel Klushantsev
Writers: Aleksandr Kazantsev, Pavel Klushantsev
Cast: Vladimir Yemelyanov, Georgi Zhzhyonov, Gennadi Vernov
Genre: Sci Fi
Language: Russian

"Cosmonauts land on the planet Venus. However, they find themselves in danger from the voracious monsters they find on it."

A beguilingly deep film about altruistic social ideas, that gets overshadowed at times by the prerequisite sci-fi creatures who draw attention away from the deeper concepts that the film offers.

I liked it!...I love sci fi and have always been interested in reading about the Soviet space program. One of the primary goals of the Soviets was the landing of probes on Venus. So I'm not surprised that a Soviet era film would be about a manned mission to the 2nd planet in our solar system.

I enjoyed both the space flight part of the film, and the look and feel of Venus. If Venus wasn't 800 Fahrenheit, it conceivably could have looked like it did in the film. NASA scientist believe that Venus might have very well had oceans and been habitable for 2 billion years of it's existences. That's before the run away greenhouse effect took place and turned the planet into a hell.

Back to the movie!....The story concept is deceptively deeper than the images of rubber dinosaurs would seem to present. I was impressed with the underlying theme that all life in the universe might stem from one single source, which then makes us all brothers. I see this as the director countering Soviet propaganda with some very progressive ideas of his own.

There's only a few blatant propaganda lines about the heroic Soviet people achieving space goals for the Soviet Union, and that was at the beginning of the film. I was very surprised to see that as the film progressed the Russian cosmonauts talked about getting home to Earth, not the Soviet union. I think that is the beauty of the film. In other words the director had balls!

The end credit song:
Planet of Storms, we'll see you soon, don't worry / And in your harbor, our ships will gladly berth / For not in vain are we the sons of Earth / For not in vain are we the sons of Earth / Earth, dear Comrades

And the discussion of the commonalty of the origins of life was far ahead of it's time in sci fi ideas. To me it seemed like the film maker was saying, life everywhere is akin.

What about a stone age rock painting in Sakhara? This drawing shows a man wearing a space suite. What about those ancient rust resisting columns in India? The way they treated the iron of the columns is yet unparalleled on Earth. And the mystery of the Atlantis? And the extraordinary knowledge of the ancient astronomers?
I'm convinced that interstellar flights are an inevitable step for development of life elsewhere. There's no isolation between the worlds. And Life immigrating in cosmos is as natural as spreading the plants seeds by the wind on Earth. And perhaps, the solar system planets are populated with one and common tribe of living creatures, who are
developing like different branches, Of the solar tribe.

That's ahead of it's time and later that idea appeared in the 1968 book, Chariots of the God by Erich von Daniken. Maybe the movie inspired the book?I found the film haunting with the siren voices in the wind and the mystery of an ancient civilization laying lost under the ocean...And oh that last shot in the reflecting pool, sublime.

Maybe the production values aren't always in line with the films more enlightened ideas, but I can overlook that and focus on the deeper meaning of the film.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Planeta Bur.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	48609  

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I realy enjoyed Leviathan,if I can use such word in reference to this movie, as it's not kind of film, which is pleasant. As you wrote the best asset of this movie is a social commentary, but I also was involved in personal issues of the main character.

Ballad of a Soldier (1959)
Ballada o soldate
(original title)

Director: Grigoriy Chukhray
Writers: Grigoriy Chukhray (as G. Chukhraj), Valentin Ezhov (as V. Yezhov)
Cast: Vladimir Ivashov, Zhanna Prokhorenko, Antonina Maksimova
Genre: War Drama
Language: Russian

"A young Russian soldier Alyosha earns a medal, but asks to visit his mother instead. His journey recounts various kinds of love during wartime."

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It hooked me right at the start and held my attention fast, all the way to the poignant ending. It was a heart felt and very personal story, which resonated with me. I liked how we learn of the devastating effects of WWII on the Russian people by seeing the changes the war has forced on the population. We never see a direct result of the German onslaught, the director keeps the focus on the Russian people and that was effective film making.

I liked how there were vignette stories within the main story, as the young solider encounters people on the move and they briefly move into his life, then in a fleeting moment they're gone. This rush of time is ultimately reflected in the soldier's own rush to make it home, before his limited freedom runs out.

Both the young actors were excellent at being very human, very believable and that made them instantly likeable. So I then cared for their journey's during the war.

The cinematography was excellent, it reflected a somber mood during the war, and reflected joy too. It was artistic, but never heavy handed or trying to hard to be 'artsy'.

So glad to have seen this classic Russian film.
Attachments

Name:	Ballad of a Soldier 1959 (1).jpg
Views:	352
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	48634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballad of a Soldier 1959 (2).jpg
Views:	380
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	48635  

I realy enjoyed Leviathan,if I can use such word in reference to this movie, as it's not kind of film, which is pleasant. As you wrote the best asset of this movie is a social commentary, but I also was involved in personal issues of the main character.
Have you seen many Russian made films? I haven't seen too many but they often have a similar feeling about them.

Oklahoma! (1955)

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Writers: Sonya Levien & William Ludwig (screenplay), Rodgers and Hammerstein (play)
Cast: Gordon MacRae, Shirely Jones, Gloria Grahame, Gene Nelson, Eddie Albert, Rod Steiger, Charolette Greenwood
Genre: Musical

In the territory of Oklahoma sometime before 1907 a cowboy tries to win a girl's heart only to find an ill-tempered farm hand has ideas for her. Meanwhile another cowboy wants to marry another farmer's daughter, only this girl can't make up her mind about which guy she likes. CR

Oklahoma!, is one of the great musicals of all time. Based on the wildly successful 1943 stage play of the same name by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. It took nearly 10 years of negotiations to get Rodgers and Hammerstein to agree to sell the play rights. What made them change their minds was a new film process...and it's personable and determined inventor, Mike Todd.

Mike Todd was co founder of Todd-AO along with American Optical. Rodgers and Hammerstein was so impressed with the new 70mm ultra wide screen process, that they agreed to partner with Todd-AO and create Magna Picture Corporation. Thus they sold the rights to Oklahoma! but insured that they still kept creative control.

The movie was shot in two different processes...Wide screen CinemaScope which used 35mm prints and a special anamorphic camera lens to create a wide image...and the new Todd-AO which used large 65mm film and ultra wide angle lens to produce a 70mm print. The interesting thing about this is both cameras were not used at the same time, instead they had to shoot a scene, then reshoot the scene with the next camera. This resulted in two very similar but different films.

Luckily for film fans, the 50th anniversary DVD has both the CinemaScope and the Todd-AO 70mm versions. Though only the CinemaScope version was restored...and it looks beautiful!

But what about the movie? What can I say that hasn't been said? The cast is great! This was Shirley Jones's first movie and she's paired with Gordon MacRae. Shirley Jones is charming in this and the pair can really sing up a storm! A second romantic pairing is with Gloria Grahame of noir movie fame with Gene Nelson. Gloria is a hoot as the silly farm girl who can't say no to boys! She sings her own numbers too, and with her distinctive voice it really comes across as personable and funny. I loved her music numbers.

Charlotte Greenwood and Eddie Albert also have some plum roles and add a lot of spice to this fun musical. But what is really weird is, Rod Steiger is in this movie. Steiger is one of the great dramatic actors and he plays a nasty heavy here. His character is suppose to be so unhinged that he once burnt a family alive because the daughter jilted him. He's hell bent to get young Laurey (Shirley Jones) and goes as far as trying to stick a knive in the eye of poor Gordon MacRae. It's an oddly dark character for a musical but then again it makes Oklahoma! so memorable.

The dream sequence number is another unique scene that uses different actors to play the lead roles, except Rod Steiger is also in the dream (which makes it all the more unusual). The staging and choreography of the dream sequences is excellent, though it seems like you're watching a completely different movie.

Oklahoma!
has some of the most beloved songs of any musical and some really great choreographed numbers. My favorite was Many a New Day.

I'm ready to watch this again!

Attachments

Name:	Oklahoma 1955.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	48710   Click image for larger version

Name:	I Cant Say No.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	48711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Many a New Day.png
Views:	388
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	48712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oklahoma 9.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	48713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oklahoma Dream.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	48714  

[size=6]Oklahoma! (1955)[size=5]

Oklahoma![/i]
has some of the most beloved songs of any musical and some really great choreographed numbers. My favorite was Many a New Day.

[/left]
my favorite musical is "Brigadoon". Have you seen that Citizen Rules?

my favorite musical is "Brigadoon". Have you seen that Citizen Rules?
Oh yeah, Brigadoon is a favorite. I've only seen it once though but I only remembered it. I didn't know you liked musicals. Any other musicals you like?

Oh yeah, Brigadoon is a favorite. I've only seen it once though but I only remembered it. I didn't know you liked musicals. Any other musicals you like?
Yeah!

I do like more than just the two I mentioned....

I enjoy Danny Kaye and Gene Kelly mainly.

Sudden Fear (1952)

Director: David Miller
Writers: Lenore J. Coffee & Robert Smith (screenplay), Edna Sherry (novel)
Cast: Joan Crawford, Jack Palance, Gloria Grahame
Genre: Thriller Drama
A well-to-do playwright (Joan Crawford), fires the lead actor in her play, telling him he's not attractive enough to convincingly play a romantic lead. The actor takes follows her onto the train and pretends to accidentally meet her on a cross country trip. He wines her, dines her and charms the pants right off her! But lust and romance isn't what he's after. CR

Joan Crawford stars with Jack Palance in this Hitchcockian type thriller. The film starts off deceptively melodramatic and one is lured into a sense of watching a romantic drama, much like Joan is lured into a romance with a less than honest man. Waiting in the wings is the other girlfriend Gloria Grahame who hatches a scheme to get Joan's money before she gives it all way to charity.

Joan Crawford is an acquired taste either you like her or not. I liked her, she always gives her acting all to any movie she's in. Here's she accidentally over hears a plot to do her harm and she has a case of Sudden Fear!

Gloria Grahame is good here, as often is the case in her films she has a supporting role, but makes the most of it. Jack Palance is properly imposing, just look at how his stoic figure towers over the rest of the cast.

The film ends in a bang. A fun film for a cold winter's night.

Attachments

Name:	Sudden Fear 1952 (2).jpg
Views:	552
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	48715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sudden Fear 1952.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	48716  

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Have you seen many Russian made films? I haven't seen too many but they often have a similar feeling about them.
Not so many, to be honest. Maybe as a child, but not as an adult, fully aware viewer. I always associated Russian movies with violent, darknes and hopelessness, but guess it's started to change.

I've seen few Zwiagincew's movies and mostly I liked them, as they show nowadays Russia, which is much more interesting to me than historical one.

Not so many, to be honest. Maybe as a child, but not as an adult, fully aware viewer. I always associated Russian movies with violent, darknes and hopelessness, but guess it's started to change...
I haven't seen many newly made Russian films but the ones I've seen do seem to be about struggles and hopelessness. Maybe I'll see more in the future.

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)

Director: Vincente Minnelli
Writers: Charles Schnee (screenplay), George Bradshaw (story)
Cast: Kirk Douglas,
Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon, Dick Powell, Gloria Grahame, Barry Sullivan
Genre: Drama

A once powerful movie producer (Kirk Douglas) who built the careers of three former friends: an actress (Lana Turner), a director (Barry Sullivan) and a writer (Dick Powell) ask them for help in making one more movie. But the three are bitter and resent the producer and want no part of him. CR

Director Vincente Minnelli serves up a cold dish of back stabbing, money grubbing & ill manners and wraps it up with a bevy of big name stars, in a film that's all about the ugly under belly of Hollywood.

The movie starts off with three former friends of the producer meeting to decide if they will help their once friend make a movie. Then the film flashes back and tells the story of how the producer fought his way up from the bottom and became a powerful movie mogul. Along the way we see he's ruthless in his decisions, but ultimately they're the right decisions and so he and his movies become the stuff of legends. His friends too prosper thanks to him, though they don't see it that way.

One of the best things director Vincente Minnellli did was to tell Kirk Douglas to tone down the anger and instead play the part of the power hungry producer with utter charm. And charming Kirk Douglas is! It's easy to like him even though as a Hollywood producer he can be brutal in his decisions.

Lana Turner is decent here and as she was herself a big star at the time known more for glitz & glamour than stellar acting, she actually fits her role as a glamour queen to a tee. Her and Douglas have some choice scenes together.

I also enjoyed the scenes of the early days of Hollywood with Kirk Douglas and Barry Sullivan struggling to make their first movie. It's fun to see how they went about deciding on script changes, and such.

The third story is Dick Powell as a humdrum writer who's talked into coming out to Hollywood by the producer. Powell isn't exciting on screen, but then again that's how his character was suppose to be, humdrum. Gloria Grahame plays his southern belle wife who gets stir crazy and eyes up a handsome Latin actor. Gloria won her only Oscar, for her 9 minute air time.

+

Attachments

Name:	The Bad and the Beautiful 1952 (4).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	48817   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bad and the Beautiful 1952 (1).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	48820   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bad and the Beautiful 1952 (5).jpg
Views:	342
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	48821   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bad and the Beautiful 1952 (3).jpg
Views:	321
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	48822  

PLANET OF THE STORMS

After reading your review, Rules, I really want to see this - sounds right up my alley!

The title made me think of Planet of the Vampires (1965). Have you seen that one?
It's Italian. It's got the schlocky appeal of that era of sci-fi: very colorful, gorgeous babes and the special effects are probably close to being on par with Forbidden Planet (if I remember correctly). Could never tell how the acting was since I've only seen dubbed versions. But I always make the joke that if you watch PotV, you'll see where they got the costumes for the X-Men movies from!

As far as pan-spermia and ancient aliens, sometimes I wonder if Stan Lee and Jack Kirby weren't early originators of this idea (at least within popular culture) in the very early 60's. I know it's another comic book reference, but they were writing stories about aliens (such as the Celestials and the Kree) visiting Earth in pre-history, bringing life to Earth, spreading human biology and even experimenting with early humans to bring about offshoot races such as the Inhumans and the Eternals. Makes me wonder if Erich Von Daniken read Marvel Comics before he started h is writings?

@Captain Steel

Nope not seen Planet of the Vampires (1965). I might have heard of it, maybe it was from you? probably

Planeta Bur is on YouTube. There's two other Americanized versions with added footage: Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women. The last one being directed by Peter Bogdanovich under an assumed name (can you blame him!) and it has Mamie Van Doren as a Venusian.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Oklahoma! (1955)

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Writers: Sonya Levien & William Ludwig (screenplay), Rodgers and Hammerstein (play)
Cast: Gordon MacRae, Shirely Jones, Gloria Grahame, Gene Nelson, Eddie Albert, Rod Steiger, Charolette Greenwood
Genre: Musical

I'm not a big fan of the dream sequence number either that uses different actors to play the lead roles, except Rod Steiger is also in the dream. The staging and choreography of the dream sequences is excellent, it just felt out of place to me.

Oklahoma!

I love the movie Oklahoma!, but I agree with you about the dream sequence being out of place. It might be okay if it was shorter, but it's my least favorite scene in the movie.

There are so many great songs in the movie, but my favorite is probably "People Will Say We're In Love".

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

It's nice to see some love for Hans Christian Andersen. It's another favorite of mine, but I rarely hear anyone else mention it.

Sometimes I wonder if the younger people around here have even heard of Danny Kaye.