17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Come to think of it, the only thing I do remember vividly is...
WARNING: "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" spoilers below
Jason Statham on the bridge, which was my favourite scene. At the time I thought it was a great ending. Hopefully it holds up now.
And apparently I even got that wrong, since...

WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
It wasn't Jason Statham's character.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And apparently I even got that wrong, since

WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
It wasn't Jason Statham's character.

yeah, I was gonna send you a side post comment about that,
WARNING: "but it really isn't a biggie" spoilers below
He's there at the bar, just not on the bridge lol

It just goes to show how I can't trust my memory of things haha.

Rewatching that film has me in the mood to watch Snatch now, but I have things to do.
I feel your pain

The Libertine (Laurence Dunmore, 2004)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/23/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by me
Rewatch: Yes.

The film opens with an announcement from Johnny Depp as John Wilmot, the Earl of Rochester. Wilmot proclaims that you will not like him, that you will like him a good deal less as we go on, and that he does not want you to like him.

But the reality is that I do like him - and this film - very, very much. Wilmot, or at least as he is depicted in The Libertine, is a fascinating character who looks upon life and the world around him with a potent mixture of boredom and revulsion. And in this film at least he cannot be blamed for that. The movie is dark and grimy. The screen practically reeks of the filth that surrounds him. Of the mud, and the s***, and the soulless people.

Though Wilmot is himself a man with little soul. Those around him who dare to care for him suffer for those feelings while he is unable to feel anything himself - except in the playhouse. And it is there that he finds himself a project, a pupil who transforms him moreso than he does her.

What really draws me into this film though is its irreverent and dark wit. Much like the film that has held the #1 position on my favorites list for many years, The Libertine is liberally peppered with sexual innuendo and sardonic humor, but it also has a lot of substance and heart. As the film progresses, I find myself laughing out loud and weeping in turns and caring very much for a character who probably deserves that caring to an even lesser degree than he claims to want it.

+
yeah, my review is gonna be pretty much verbatim from this.

It's kinda funny that while you nominate, on a steady basis, films I really, really love and are on my list of heavy rewatch rotation: this, Dances With Wolves, 3:10 To Yuma, come to mind in recent HoFs, I seem to only return the favor by doing ones that you, mostly, simply tolerate.
Not a complaint or critique, just a funny observation.
I do the same with cricket. VERY polarized, but when I find one of his I like, it's all out love. Like when he nominated Scarlet Empress for the 30s HoF. But then, we ALL did, but still, I use that one since it's the most recent I remember.

It's kinda funny that while you nominate, on a steady basis, films I really, really love and are on my list of heavy rewatch rotation: this, Dances With Wolves, 3:10 To Yuma, come to mind in recent HoFs, I seem to only return the favor by doing ones that you, mostly, simply tolerate.
Not a complaint or critique, just a funny observation.
I've noticed this too. From my nominations, you'd think we had really similar taste in film but actually we don't really. It always makes me feel bad. I sign up for a HOF and I see you sign up too and I'm like "Ed always loves my nominations and I'd really like to feel the same about his noms. Maybe THIS will finally be the one where that happens." And then it doesn't happen.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Been wanting to watch this for quite some time since we’ve got it on Netflix in Canada but never got to it. Thanks @edarsenal for the nom.

I think all the parts were really well cast and that's a huge strength for the film. I really like the very energetic editing and really individual way of filming certain shots. There is a washed out look from the colour balancing and it really fits this gritty underground world the characters live in.

A great film and a great nom
I always love when that works out like that. I've had a number of them and it's a great bit of kismet, or chance, or, you know, whatever.
In this one I'm the same with Amelie. Needed to see it, wanted to see it, never got around to it. And NOW, I got to. F@ckin YAY

I've noticed this too. From my nominations, you'd think we had really similar taste in film but actually we don't really. It always makes me feel bad. I sign up for a HOF and I see you sign up too and I'm like "Ed always loves my nominations and I'd really like to feel the same about his noms. Maybe THIS will finally be the one where that happens." And then it doesn't happen.
I know, EXACTLY! I feel terrible and wonder why don't I get that one you'd enjoy as much as the ones you always come up with.
And the thing is, the harder I've tried, the less you've like them lol

@Miss Vicky

The Innocents

SPOILERS
or. . . are there?

What a beautifully shot and composited dark tale with an intriguing ambiguity to it.
Which, I have to say, having some prior knowledge of it actually increased my enjoyment and gave me a secondary perspective of things as they unfold.
Which begins right at the opening credits with her folded hands, her tormented expressions and her praying how she wishes to protect the children, not destroy them.
Hinting at what is left for us to ponder in an ambiguous ending.
IS the manor haunted and the children possessed by lecherous, debased ghosts of the recent dead?
Or is our Governess simply imagining it all?

It's an excellent premise as we see through the newly appointed Governess' perception. And by that perception it truly is easy to believe a very solid YES to the children having some sort of evil influence. They are like Lucifer's cherubs. Their sweetness seeming to have some kind of diabolical aftertaste. So that we easily believe the Governess has stumbled upon something unholy beneath the beautiful surface of it all.

I wonder how much Truman Capote (one of the screenplay writers) added to some of that lurking belief of something dark beneath the appearance of sweet and, thereby, pull it off so splendidly.
Having this play out like a Horror film only to end on a more psychological turn of events is the real gem of this finely filmed Victorian tale.
And, yes, knowing the twist before hand, for me, added to my enjoyment of it all. In fact, I'm pretty sure knowing the secret of the trick being performed made a far more enjoyable watch for me.

Thank you, @Siddon for nominating this.

I also spent an hour typing up a finished review for Amelie, only to have accidentally close out the tab and lose it all.

It appears it did not suffice for the realm where the whimsical thrive.
So, aggravating as it may be, I will try again, soon. Saying, simply, I f@ckin adored this quirky, romantic film.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
1/15 The Innocents (1961)

Director: Jack Clayton

The Innocents has one of those concepts that completely get my attention from the get-go. A little bit of a psychological thriller, a smidgen of paranormal, and a lot of mystery with proper back story. I was really into this, the story was very engaging, I really enjoyed how tight the pacing was and how the information was revealed through some subtle and also dramatic reveals. This is the best thing that can be said about a mystery like this, a film can shove so much meat into its bones but if the director doesn't find a way to make it engaging, then there really is no point.

Films from this era have something in common that I always find myself fascinated with, and that is the placement of a female character in the front-lead to solve a mystery and maybe get terrified along the way. I love these sort of performances, they really highlight the 60s nicely, think about films like The Birds or Rosemary's Baby. Deborah Kerr was without doubt the best part about this picture, her charisma and charm really shone through on this one and she delivered those intense moments like it was her second nature. The cast of characters including the kids and the help around the house were also really well done. I do also admire how linear the film is, it doesn't waste any time and just sort of begins and never stops giving. My only gripe was that the film did have a little trouble matching that intensity that Kerr executed, everything around her seems to be understated when contrasted with her performance. Overall, very arresting film that definitely kept me tangled in its mystery until its end.

SCORE - 79/100

@Miss Vicky

I also spent an hour typing up a finished review for Amelie, only to have accidentally close out the tab and lose it all.
That's rough. I always type my reviews up separately in a word processor, then copy+paste them into a post here to avoid things like that.

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/24/18
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @Siddon
Rewatch: No.

The Innocents is a film that is thick with atmosphere. It's creepy. It's unsettling. It's claustrophobic. And I suspect that damned song is going to haunt me for the next few days at least. It's also masterfully constructed - the sets, the lighting, the costumes and make-up, the performances, and the cinematography all work brilliantly together to build a palpable sense of dread.

If I was a fan of horror, I do believe I would be a fan of this film. But the reality is that I am not a fan of horror. The films that most appeal to me center around human interaction and strong emotion, rather than playing on fear and paranoia. As such, I found myself having very deep respect for this movie, while not actually enjoying it all that much. Still, I think this is a very strong nomination and I expect that it will do very well in this HOF.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Directed By: Guy Ritchie
Starring: Nick Moran, Jason Flemyng, Jason Statham

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels has a dirty and grainy look to it, which perfectly complements its setting, characters, and the illicit activities they engage in. It is not an attempt at realism however, since the film is filled with witty banter and dark comedy, and the camera work is highly stylized, with frequent freeze frames or slow motion sequences which prevent the tone from becoming overly serious.

In the spirit of the film, and one subtitled scene in particular, I've decided to try to give a short plot synopsis by incorporating as much Cockney rhyming slang as I can manage into the rest of this paragraph. After taking a Glen, the boys are coals and coke. If they can't find some quick bees and honey, they'll be brown bread before long. After having a few too many tumbles down the sink, by pure chance they happen upon a Jackie to get it sorted. Friar Tuck seems to be on their side for now, but it won't be that lemon squeezy.

What we end up with is a series of crossing paths and coincidences that undermine every plan made throughout the film, with luck paying cruel jokes on almost everyone involved. It sounds ridiculous, but Ritchie makes it work really well. It's quite impressive for his feature film debut, and you can see a number of elements that later became staples of his work. The performances are solid across the board, though some of the side characters, such as Vinnie Jones' Big Chris, easily outshine the main cast. I think I somehow found the film even more entertaining this time around, and I still feel that the conclusion, or lack thereof, is incredibly appropriate. I'm glad this was nominated since I'm not sure when I would've watched it again on my own accord. Cheers, mate!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	48351  

I prepared a cheat sheet in case anyone was struggling to figure out that second paragraph haha

Rhyming Slang  

Pixote: A Lei do Mais Fraco (Pixote) (Hector Babenco, 1981)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/25/18
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @cricket
Rewatch: No.

This film was brutal, hopeless, and one very difficult watch. It centers around kids who are born into a life of poverty and crime, only to be rounded up and locked away in so called "reform schools" where they suffer - and inflict upon each other - even further brutality. Knowing no other life, these kids turn back to a life of crime once they escape their imprisonment - and cling to each other in a desperate grab for some semblance of stability.

But what struck me about this film, was how utterly unsentimental and authentic it was about the whole thing. It doesn't dwell too long on any one particular event. The score isn't played up much to affect the viewers' emotions. It isn't overtly sympathetic to its subjects, but nor does it place judgement on them. It simply presents things as "this is how it is" and it is quite an effective approach.

That's rough. I always type my reviews up separately in a word processor, then copy+paste them into a post here to avoid things like that.
You would think I would learn, but, nope

I prepared a cheat sheet in case anyone was struggling to figure out that second paragraph haha

Rhyming Slang  
I actually got everything but the Glen and the Jackie
You, my dear, you are one Cockney getting very shady!!