Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I like old books and the one that somebody read before me. I know the joy from brand new one - the smell and white paper, but I like to think about books as a thing with some history. Some I get from my friends, some from my family members, the other from libraries and the other from antiquarian book-shop. Today I went to newsstand and saw the clerk, who was reading the book - polish fantasy and I started to chat with her. I like moments like this
I have never been using Kindle. All ahead of me

It's rare that I'll say this but I enjoyed the movie more. The book started off strong then, when everything should be speeding up to a conclusion, it seemed to kind of fizzle out. At first I couldn't put it down then I couldn't pick it back up.

I use the Kindle app on my iPad. I will never return to a real book. What I like best is that no matter how big the book is, it still weighs nothing on my iPad. Also, the iPad is backlit so no need to bother with reading lights in bed, which is where I mostly read. Great innovation the iPad & the Kindle app.
Yeah they're very useful items.

I like old books and the one that somebody read before me. I know the joy from brand new one - the smell and white paper, but I like to think about books as a thing with some history. Some I get from my friends, some from my family members, the other from libraries and the other from antiquarian book-shop. Today I went to newsstand and saw the clerk, who was reading the book - polish fantasy and I started to chat with her. I like moments like this
I have never been using Kindle. All ahead of me
I love your thinking there Ms. M. Totally agree with you.

Terrific TV series & book. Loved both.

Terrific TV series & book. Loved both.
I didn't like this book. It was ****

The Hot Zone

Man, this is probably the most horrifying thing i've ever read but it's also incredible. Earlier this year i got interested in the History of HIV, i didn't read any books on it (did buy And The Band Plays On though) but i did read a bunch of articles and essays and watched a documentary. Well this is about something similar but much much worse: The Biosafety Level 4 Agents. A group of related viruses the best known of which is Ebola, although there's more than one kind of Ebola the one we call by that name is the most deadly one officially called Ebola-Zaire (Zaire being where it originated or at least where the first detected outbreak was) and the less deadly but still incredibly lethal Ebola-Sudan now often referred to as the Sudan Virus which was the Virus at the cause of the first known Ebola outbreak in Sudan. Compared to these AIDS is a goshdarn sneeze, they are much more contaegeous (with them being airborne in some cases of course), they kill you much faster and more violently and the survival rate is much lower. They are also unpredictable to a terrifying degree and everything they've thought to be the case so far has later proven to not always be the case. This was written in 1995 so it doesn't include the most recent outbreak and historically i don't do well with diseases so i deliberately avoided reading anything about it while that epidemic was going on and since meaning i'm no doubt missing a lot of recently gained information, and i've not even finished this but still it's very informative and well written.

One of the best things about it is how he presents the characters/real people, he managed to get me to care about them making their demises/near calls/whatever with these viruses so much worse. One in particular had me close to tears about a young african nurse who had been accepted to a university in america and had big dreams of becoming an important doctor who of course contracted and died from it and that had a sort of not happy but something at least twist because she did end up important to medicine, her blood was the main sample the primary virus research lab in america used for a long time in its studies of Ebola. The human stories aren't the only devastating parts there's also the animals, ones who were caught and tested to see if they carried the viruses in the suspected place of origin as well as the monkeys they intentionally infected to see if they could cure them with various drugs. Anyway, yeah this is amazing. I'm not even finished yet, the thing i'm most interested in is the origins and while i know we still don't know for sure where they come from and what carries it (although it's largely thought to be Fruit Bats) reading the theories and the efforts scientists and doctors go to in an attempt to figure these things out is so good.

He goes into horrifying detail about the effects of these viruses it's probably the toughest thing i've ever read, barely made it past the first chapter with the description of the death of the French man in Kenya who contracted Marburg. I'm glad i pressed on though as he doesn't repeat it every time, he only goes into effects again if there's new symptoms particularly when he moves on to one of the different viruses. The book is downright terrifying, i've never found any horror books scary but this more than does it for me. Think the most terrifying thing i've ever read in a book is the end of the Zaire Epidemic. By the end everything has been destroyed, a bunch of uninfected people are quarantined with both infected people and infected corpses in a building caked with tainted blood. The scariest thing is that it just stops though and it's described as quietly descending back into the jungle to wait for another opportunity to infect a new host. A big part of the reason why i've got so interested in these viruses is because of how amazing and beautiful i find Africa. For example two people infected with Marburg years aparts stories are told and it's thought that they both got it from a place called Kitum Cave on Mount Elgon because that's the only place both of them definitely were. After reading that i watched a bunch of videos and looked at pictures of both the mountain and the cave and it's such an amazing place. Would love to go there, except i wouldn't because i'd maybe inhale powdered bat sh*t and end up bleeding out my eyes. Just shows you how cruel and sometimes ironic nature is haha.

Right at the start of the book we realize Eleanor is an awkward, friendless and socially clueless 29 year old woman, but as the story goes on we realize there is more to it under the surface…

Very touching, sad and funny book. Very accurate when it comes to mental health issues that it is sometimes painful to read because it is too real.

I like that it ends on a hopeful note, but nothing gets wrapped up in a tightly neat bow, because for people with a mental illness, nothing ever can be wrapped up in a tightly neat bow.

Finishing up the To Love-Ru erotic romantic comedy manga series, I am now on volume 15 with 3 more volumes to go. I began reading it nearly a year ago but since I am reading it in the original Japanese language it takes a while as I need to read it with the Japanese dictionary besides me:

Good catch. Didn’t notice.
Ah, Norwegian author as well . I saw the name but didn't check it at first.

Erractic Circles
By Victoria K. Ogawa
© 2006

A fascinating look into the life of a young man who, after having been unceremoniously thrown out of his home by his old, uncaring father as he became of legal age, a home in which the only loving support he ever had was from his mother who died, and until that fateful day when all his belongings were strewn all over the front lawn for all his neighbours to see by his callous father who never showed him an ounce of fatherly love. Yeah, an utter ****.

This novella was written by our own @Miss Vicky 12 years ago, and it stands the test of its relatively short life so far, and it's a tragedy this hasn't been read by more than a handful of people. I am a firm believer that this should get a serious publishing.

I don't want to give too much of the story away, but I would like to talk about the writer's style, her ability to make me smell, hear, touch and taste every word that fell from her fingertips. I was spellbound from the very start. I suffer a spot of ye ole synthesthesia, and the meticulously descriptive style of this author made that little condition of mine spark in every direction it was taking me.

This is quite simply, a breathtakingly beautiful and heartbreaking look at what happens when a young man, rightly terrified of the hand life has dealt him for no other reason than he's different, a young man who who appreciates both genders, but gravitates more towards the one gets offered a way out of living in his car. A way that that plays Russian roulette with each outcome. A what's in the box kind of situation? with every strange scenario in which he finds himself. Yes, pun intended. Each encounter is also a journey in self discovery, hope, FEAR of hope, brutalisation, the realisation that life isn't all fantasy, even if you're lucky enough to get that fantasy for even a brief time, and the hard decisions to protect those you love.

The prose, the inner dialogue, those all struck me as quite beautiful, heartbreaking, poignant, and sometimes dangerous. There is also a scene that I don't want to mention but when you get to it, the simultaneous comedy and revulsion is a feat hard to pull off but @Miss Vicky aced it.

I was legitimately sad for this story to end, so I rationed myself. I wouldn't allow myself more than 15 pages per day because I would have raced through it and felt immediately bummed that it was over.

I'm SO proud of @Miss Vicky and I've never even met her in person. If I may, as an instant fan of her work, because, guys...it IS that good: not a split infinitive, not a single typo, not (my personal fav) dangling participle. The descriptive words were powerful. I could SMELL that city. I could smell the post coital sheets, sometimes the unavoidable shame and yes, this is not a novella for the faint hearted if you're homophobic in any way.

The ending made me cry. I don't want to say why, but you can imagine. I'm an emotional type, and a fiercely protective type. I fell in love with Jordan and E, and if you wish to know who they are, please ask @Miss Vicky to send you a copy. It really is well worth the read. It's only 102 pages. Ration it, because believe me, whether you bringe read it or ration yourself like I did, you will want more. You'll want to start harrassing @Miss Vicky to revisit Jordan, like Stephen King revisited Danny Torrance, who, by the way, I fell in love with in Dr Sleep. Who woulda thunk. So if @Miss Vicky, 12 years from now on finds it in her soul to let us check in with Jordan all these years later, I'd like to be the first to read it. Well, I did fall in love with Danny Torrance as a grownup. And I'm already a bit in love with Jordan.

But I digress.

@Miss Vicky's novella is something I can recommend to all MoFos. Parts will break your heart but if you're like me, that's what you want. That's one of your drugs. The haunting. Not the forgettable. The haunting/bittersweet stories you take to your grave, which is why George RR Martin BETTER not **** up the end of his mammoth ASOIAF series.

The TLR part of this entire review is that it's anything but forgettable.

Miss Vicky. FORMALLY PUBLISH THAT or I may become a pain in your ass. Just saying. You NAILED it

THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT WITH ME.

Sweet. Looks great!

I'm blushing just a bit right now. That was quite the review. Thank you!

I really should do something about getting it published for real, maybe some day I actually will. I've also toyed with the idea of writing a sequel, but it's been so long since I've actually written anything that I'm kind of scared I've lost my touch. I registered the copyright for it back in 2006, but I'd been working on it since 2000 or 2001. Basically I've been living with these characters for close to 20 years so if I do ever write a sequel it would have to be absolutely perfect or I'd be sorely disappointed in myself.

Sweet. Looks great!

I'm blushing just a bit right now. That was quite the review. Thank you!

I really should do something about getting it published for real, maybe some day I actually will. I've also toyed with the idea of writing a sequel, but it's been so long since I've actually written anything that I'm kind of scared I've lost my touch. I registered the copyright for it back in 2006, but I'd been working on it since 2000 or 2001. Basically I've been living with these characters for close to 20 years so if I do ever write a sequel it would have to be absolutely perfect or I'd be sorely disappointed in myself.
I would strongly encourage you to get it out there.

I believe I mentioned falling in love with Danny Torrance, years after his ordeal at the Stanley Hotel, He became a drunk, just like his father and couldn't deal with his psychic ability at some poit tried to drink himself to death, and it was really one of the few times I fell in love with a character all grown up, trying to save a little girl while still being plagued by his demons. I LOVE DANNY TORRANCE!

I see Jordan as a sort of shy, somewhat defeated Danny, unable to believe he deserves good things in life. I CAN'T SAY MY NEXT SENTECE WTHOUT SPOILING IT SO I WON'T.

But fuuuuuuuuck I love flawed characters.

AMAZING JOB, Miss Vicky I'd love to dread more about Jordan....and E.

Master of My Domain
MV: I haven't read the book yet, but do it. Try to get published. You'll never know if a door will open unless you give it a knock.

And 102 pages? Great work, I thought your novel was still in the making so cat's review surprised me.

MV: I haven't read the book yet, but do it. Try to get published. You'll never know if a door will open unless you give it a knock.

And 102 pages? Great work, I thought your novel was still in the making so cat's review surprised me.
It's been kind of "in the works" for a long time now. I periodically drag it out and make minor tweaks to it but it's basically been done since '06.