Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

movies can be okay...
I thought you were going to like that.
Same
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...

I'm excited too to see the final results...sort of like Christmas, without the snow!
I think Umbrellas has this in the bag! It would be a great outcome too.

I think Umbrellas has this in the bag! It would be a great outcome too.
I'm not so sure of that, a lot of the films had their fans...so I could see the votes being distributed over a wide range of the noms.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
those three are definitely gonna take top spots.
But then, saying that, I usually get it wrong.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Saragossa, @Okay. Like Cricket, I'd thought that one would be one for you.

And with Pan's it IS amazing how a second view is pretty vital for the full enjoyment of that film. Great flick, and YES, del Torro IS the "to go guy" for fantasy. Absolutely.

As with weather, this is as been the kind of summer I was used to growing up, it's stayed in the upper 80s, lower 90's and with being surrounded by the Great Lakes, it gets pretty humid.
Surprisingly, after a number of weeks I must say I'm kinda getting used to the humid heat we're having.

“I was cured, all right!”
I'm done! I just have to write about The Leopard now, but I'll write tomorrow morning, 'cause I want to put time in my words and I don't have much time today. Anyway, I'm sending my list now!!

movies can be okay...
Honestly, now that I'm thinking more about The Leopard, I'm starting to see a few elements I could potentially enjoy more on a re-watch, regarding specifically the main character. I guess @cricket was right, I do imagine myself getting more out of it by only taking in the character study aspects. Still, I don't see myself ever liking it that much, so I would seek this re-watch in the first place.

Honestly, now that I'm thinking more about The Leopard, I'm starting to see a few elements I could potentially enjoy more on a re-watch, regarding specifically the main character. I guess @cricket was right, I do imagine myself getting more out of it by only taking in the character study aspects. Still, I don't see myself ever liking it that much, so I would seek this re-watch in the first place.
I think almost any movie can be liked more on a rewatch as a person can talk themselves into (or out of) liking almost any film. If I ever watch The Leopard again it will be in English, my native language. It was distracting watching the lead actor Burt Lancaster, speak in dubbed Italian. I'm so familiar with his voice and vocal inflections that the other actor's voice coming out of his head was a distraction for me.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
11/13 The Age of Shdows (2016)

Director: Kim Jee-woon

One of my favorites from the challenge, mostly everything about this is done magnificently, in my opinion. It won't be a film I re-watch, but definitely one that I'll remember and appreciate more than anything. The best thing about this was the technicality, the shots, the color correction, the scene construction, all dumbfounding, there were some shots in this that really made my jaw-drop, I thought it was a beautiful looking film. Reminded me of a Korean version of a Wes Anderson film, only much grittier as well. The tension-building in this is also exponential, there are many drawn-out scenes that are edited stupendously, It was hard to predict what would happen next, who would die, who would take the first shot, all of it took me by surprise, and in turn there was a truly great ending. The action was also very well filmed, exemplary even.

SCORE - 88/100

The Age of Shadows (2016)

An extremely stylish espionage thriller that drains most of the poetry from the Melville source inspiration. Huge sets with entire streets go hand in hand with sparingly used CGI animations. The script spends far too much time building the story, which is not that complex at all. Most of the actors were good, some a bit lesser.
THE AGE OF SHADOWS leaves a very ambiguous impression, which is nourished even more by the feeling that this would have been more in it. And that is somehow quite disappointing...
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

“I was cured, all right!”
The Leopard (1963) - Luchino Visconti

-A mosaic of sensations:

The perception of decadence and the attempt to maintain power in the face of inevitable change is at the heart at first. Tancredi (Alain Delon), nephew of Don Fabrizio, the prince of Salina, becomes a revolutionary as soon as the Garibaldian Revolution lands in Sicily, - interesting to realize that the hero of the story, the main character, is not the active agent, but the nephew - not as an enthusiast, a dreamer, his intentions are clear: "if we want everything to remain as it is, everything must change", a phrase he utters to his uncle. It is evident from the opening built by Visconti - we see family members gathered in a room praying in terror of the revolution that germinated outside - that the aristocracy feared the loss of powers. For this not to happen everything needed to change, and to remain as before. The construction of the scene in question establishes a very rich imaginary capacity to conduct the feelings. The use of the plane where only the frightened aristocrats are shown excludes any external element from the image, but introduces them through the sound.

""On the "outside" the shots are heard, the presence is absent in the eyes, but perceptible to the frightened dominant agents in disbelief at their imminent disappearance as a class."" [P. Leão]

As brazilian critic S. Pendre said: ""Visconti is the other side of Prince Salinas's coin. Son of an aristocrat with a bourgeois, Visconti has one side in the toga, another in the mundane. Fabrizio, the prince lived by Burt Lancaster, is the nobleman who goes to a brothel, is the man who does not believe and does not trust the bourgeoisie, but supports the revolution promoted by them. ""

He knows that Sicily is a land of conservatives, of a people who do not accept changes. In the long dialogue with the emissary of the government of Turin and the refusal to a vacancy in the Senate, the explanation: the view is wonderful precisely because the access roads are bad. One thing is derived from the other. The compliment of the rustic, of the Sicilian soul, is what makes Fabrizio. Nothing further from Visconti, aristocrat of the north, but at the same time, nothing closer, in spirit. "

In "The Leopard" the opera style merges with realism, and there is still room for melodrama. In my favorite scene, the prince of Salinas is hiding from the crowds of the ball, there he faces a painting that represents death, so he starts to wonder about his own death. It's like a mirror for his own decay.

Eleven years before, in 1952, at some point in "Bellissima" Maddalena Cecconi (Anna Magnani) says: "This is Burt Lancaster, he has such a nice voice, he looks sympathetic", or something like that. Now, he's working with Visconti, I read quite a lot of complaints about Lancaster's dubbed voice, honestly I couldn't care less. His strong presence and beautiful performance transcends the absence of his own voice.

The third time I saw, I often paused the film to enjoy the image that looked more like a painting, like Barry Lyndon. Even the 'war scenario' is operatic and well filmed. Just as in Senso, where Visconti cuts to war as soon as we see Livia betray her country (as a way of showing us everything she turned her back on), in Leopard War is an essential part of the process. The melancholy, the decay of the aristocracy, the acting, the sceneries, the camera movements, Visconti directing... A masterpiece.

★★★★★

movies can be okay...
Samsara (2001) by Pan Nalin

I don't really have that many things to say about Samsara, it's a decent film that held my intrigue, and left me satisfied all the way throughout. There are many relatable aspects in the story, especially concerning the protagonist's struggles, and that made me more easily lured and interested. There are also quite a few scenes that are greatly composed and framed, I just wish there was an HD copy of the film, which would've definitely strengthened my enjoyment. On the other hand, there are also numerous elements that undoubtedly felt cheap, not even just on a technical level, but also concerning the plot's progression.

In the end, despite all of the strong questions and feelings that the movie imposed, I was never blown away by it. This mainly has to do with the fact that, I've seen all of these thematic components too many times before, and I've seen them done better, while Samsara fails to offer anything new to the table. With that being said, what it undeniably presented, in not only an unconventional manner, but also an effective and provocative one as well, is some darn freaky sex scenes that I wasn't prepared for, nor wanted. After the credits rolled, one will probably have learned by then, one or two new moves to try in bed.

Where's the best place to source 'The Leopard' from guys? I'm struggling.
If someone could PM me it as well I would appreciate it .
We all should save our links when we look for them. I know I had a link for The Leopard but I didn't save it and I've deleted all of my MoFo messages, it might have been in the Sent folder. Maybe someone else did save it?

Assassination 2015

Works pretty well as an action and espionage movie - the flaws its long duration, and a large number of characters and the background of the issues that are quite showing extreme care about minute details. It's quite tiring, indeed.
Another flaw that has' Assassination is that it does not develop well any of the characters of its main characters enough to generate the necessary empathy towards them in a deeper way. This movie is driven more by patriotism a OK Korean blockbuster, butt I am not a fan.

There are only 3 days left until the deadline.

Completed:
Citizen Rules - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
CosmicRunaway - Phoenix
Cricket - The Sword of Doom
Okay* - Benny's Video
Thursday Next - Age of Shadows
Ultraviolence - The Leopard
*-needs to review own nomination

Still to See:
@edarsenal - Assassination
Entre Nos (1hr 21min)

@Luis - Pan's Labyrinth
The Leopard (3hr 05min)
The Saragossa Manuscript (3hr 05min)

@MijaFrost - Samsara
Pan's Labyrinth (1hr 59min)
Phoenix (1hr 38min)

@Nemanja - The Saragossa Manuscript
The Age of Shadows (2hr 20min)
The Leopard (3hr 05min)
The Saragossa Manuscript (own nomination)

@ScarletLion - Entre Nos
Entre Nos (own nomination)
The Leopard (3hr 05min)
The Saragossa Manuscript (3hr 05min)

@Siddon - Thelma
Thelma (own nomination)