Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Not a fan of the pig killing at all. Shock film making=Schmuck film making. I don't know if the pig was killed directly for the film, if so the director should go to jail. If the pig was already to be killed for food and was just filmed as it was done, OK not unethical, but still shock film making is done in lieu of deeper film making skills.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they had to kill 3 pigs to get the slaughter scene "right", so the pigs were likely killed specifically for the film.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they had to kill 3 pigs to get the slaughter scene "right", so the pigs were likely killed specifically for the film.
It is an animal we eat though so I wonder if they filmed it where they're done in anyway or at least were used for food after.

Thanks and ugh! (ugh to the director, not to you)

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
4/15. La Famille Bélier (The Belier Family)(2014)

Director: Eric Lartigau

Another great film from this HoF, I've had such a pleasant time so far. This film does very interesting things with tone, and the blending of genres. At first I had a little bit of trouble deciphering what kind of impact the movie wanted to leave on me, there was so much satire blended into the usual shenanigans of what a drama film is. I picked a pace that worked best for me later on and the film kept me in its grip with its arresting attitude.

I may be a little biased, but every film that delves into the world of singing interests me, as I love the art of vocalization and the complexities that can come from one's singing voice, and the film executed the latter quite well. At first I found the family story line to fracture the personal journey of our lead, but as the film progressed I learned to care for the characters. The film is also very entertaining, there's not really a block of time that I felt hurt the pace, I was entertained from beginning to end. And the ending is magical, the final audition scene was very heartfelt and it tied up what the overlying theme of the film is so nicely. My last negative would be the very limited choices of shots they decided to use. While that last scene is great and heartfelt, I think it could've been earthshakingly emotional if they decided to match the emotion of the scene with the camera.; a couple of close ups, pans and movements could've helped, but things are just shot and cut so simplistically. Overall a great film, its inconsistencies with tone aren't bad enough to take away from the brilliant moments.

SCORE - 86/100

movies can be okay...
It is an animal we eat though so I wonder if they filmed it where they're done in anyway or at least were used for food after.
I'd like to think so as well, since the killing was done in a farm anyway.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
...and we really get very little insight into Benny...
I don't know what else the film could of done, to give more insight into Benny, without being too explicative or unfitting and out of tone. I mean, what do you suggest?

I couldn't believe how stupid the parents act in the one scene where they discuss how they will send Benny out of town, while the dad gets rid of the girl's body.
What exactly was so stupid about their discussion? Their reaction acting wise, or the logic behind it?
What was so poorly done in this scene is how the actress who plays the mom kept smirking right before she would talk. It was horrible, it looked like she was on the verge of laughing all the time...
Well she was on the verge of laughing, she even straight up laughed at one point, but the laughter more so came out of nervousness, confusion, and panic. But if your point was that you thought she was a bad actress, then that's fair, even though I highly disagree (that Egyptian hotel scene though...)

The parents reaction was all so unbelievable that it took me out of the movie.
I'm still not sure if you mean their acting capabilities or not. If not, then I don't really see what's so unbelievable about some cold upper-middle class parents, or just even parents in general, wanting to cover for their kid, no matter the grandeur of their wrongdoings. It's absurd and wrong, but definitely not something unheard of. Obviously their decision didn't totally come from love for their son either, but mostly from love for themselves and their social reputation.

But after they witness the video tape of the killing, it becomes less interesting, which is odd as I would have expected the emotions to ramp up more after the dilemma comes to a head.
Well at least one of us had that experience hahaha. I totally thought the latter half of the film was the ultimate peak.

OK not unethical, but still shock film making is done in lieu of deeper film making skills.
I do agree that the scene is there to shock, but I don't agree that its sole and only purpose is to shock. The videotape of the slaughter is very important to the narrative, as well as for the insight on what's Benny like. As for deeper film making skills, I would say the movie is filled all over with them. I'd consider the video of the slaughtering itself, along with how Benny utilises it, a deep film making skill.

Well she was on the verge of laughing, she even straight up laughed at one point, but the laughter more so came out of nervousness, confusion, and panic.
My wife has always done that, drives me crazy.

Answers are below.

I don't know what else the film could of done, to give more insight into Benny, without being too explicative or unfitting and out of tone. I mean, what do you suggest?
It was like Siddon say a 20 minute story with padding. OK maybe I would say it was 30 minutes of padding, but the long scenes of non important stuff like the singing was a produces dream come true.

What exactly was so stupid about their discussion? Their reaction acting wise, or the logic behind it?
The logic behind dealing with what their son did by deciding to cut up the dead girls body and dispoising of it, that makes them accessories to murder. At 14 years old he wouldn't have done jail time, but would have gotten the help they needed. The parents were dumb asses.

Well she was on the verge of laughing, she even straight up laughed at one point, but the laughter more so came out of nervousness, confusion, and panic. But if your point was that you thought she was a bad actress, then that's fair, even though I highly disagree (that Egyptian hotel scene though...)
I think she was a good actress. I think the director handled that scene in the most unsatisfying way possible. And I don't mean when she laughed, I got it that was suppose to show nervousness, though it's a hard emotion to pull off, I would have not had her laugh to show distress, as it didn't work. But what I was specifically referring to, were Microexpression, which is a term coined by the FBI by momentary emotions that are shown on a face and betray the person's real emotions. A number of times when the mom started to talk during the what should we do about this scene, her mouth would turn up at the corners for a split second, which looked like she was conceal a laugh. It just looked bad.

movies can be okay...
The logic behind dealing with what their son did by deciding to cut up the dead girls body and dispoising of it, that makes them accessories to murder. At 14 years old he wouldn't have done jail time, but would have gotten the help they needed.
I don't think that's true at all times. There are many cases out there with teenagers going to jail for murder, not to mention all of the evidence the investigators would have on Benny. This really doesn't matter anyway, since we're dealing with bleak parents who are simply unwilling to give their son away. They have too much of a reputation to uphold, and too many expectations to let fade away because of their son. They want for Benny to have a showy and successful career, just for the sake of the compliments and praise from the outside looking in. It's sick, but it's the cold and stereotypical bourgeois mentality.

I think she was a good actress. I think the director handled that scene in the most unsatisfying way possible. And I don't mean when she laughed, I got it that was suppose to show nervousness, though it's a hard emotion to pull off, I would have not had her laugh to show distress, as it didn't work. But what I was specifically referring to, were microburst, which is a term coined by the FBI by momentary emotions that are shown on a face and betray the person's real emotions. A number of times when the mom started to talk during the what should we do about this scene, her mouth would turn up at the corners for a split second, which looked like she was conceal a laugh. It just looked bad.
I'm curious to know, what makes you believe that wasn't intentional? She knows what she'll eventually do in the scene, so why don't you think that would be some sort of subtle and intentional lead up to her laugh.

I don't think that's true at all times. There are many cases out there with teenagers going to jail for murder, not to mention all of the evidence the investigators would have on Benny. This really doesn't matter anyway, since we're dealing with bleak parents who are simply unwilling to give their son away. They have too much of a reputation to uphold, and too many expectations to let fade away because of their son. They want for Benny to have a showy and successful career, just for the sake of the compliments and praise from the outside looking in. It's sick, but it's the cold and stereotypical bourgeois mentality.
Right, that's why I said his parents were dumb asses. Come to think of it the girl was a dumb ass too, I mean she has a loaded gun to her chest and then taunts him to pull the trigger by calling him a coward. The whole movie seemed sophomoric. It kind of reminded me of Ed Wood's film Glen or Glenda.

movies can be okay...
Then you're gonna really hate what I nominated for the 16th Hall of Fame hahaha

Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

That this drama is cast in the form of a musical is a good and a bad choice.
All beautiful music or the beautiful decoration and the sweet colors can conceal what a bitter drama this is.
The sweet, moving music, the sweet decoration and the seemingly unconcerned way
put you on the wrong track as a viewer and the dramatic element is therefore all the more intrusive, but because of this contrast between form and content you also get confused in a wrong way.
This is a beautifully played, bitter drama about missed opportunities in life and how people try to keep themselves under the consequences.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is witty and dramatic, butt nothing more
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

“I was cured, all right!”
Thelma (2017) - Joachim Trier
AKA: "The sexiest movie of this HoF."

There are movies that are able to fiddle with our most repressed feelings. Appetite for violence, super powers (?) or sexual fetishes. Several times during "Thelma", I felt my body warm up (Eili Harboe is hot).

I like to view this film as a story of sexual repression (a good one) but I have to say, all the supernatural elements totally weaken the film. Throwing this to the corner, I get to see a great movie. Maybe puting this elements it's a way to call Carrie's widowed fans, but if the script by Eskil Vogt and director Joachim Trier had not appealed to common sense when it came to recounting more macabre or "difficult" elements, Thelma would have gained far more layers. At first sight, these supernatural elements may even be considered psychological, but it is somewhat discarded by the third act.

Fortunately there are many positive elements, the tensions well conducted by Trier, the attention to details, the delicate handling of the atmosphere, there are several positive elements. Unfortunately, all this plays against the script, which in the second half seems to leave out all the psychological elements and the conflicts of the relationship (Thelma and her father rendered great dialogues in the first half) and begins to focus only on supernatural elements.

I had watched Thelma last December, reviewing now for this HoF, I must admit that the movie lost a lot of its power.

★★★

Anyway, It's a good movie...

Entre nos (2009)
(Between Us)

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! It's such a well done, heartfelt story treatment of a serious subject about abandonment and homelessness. I loved the way the story was told from the perspective of the mother. This is sincere film making. It's no wax job,it's straight up movie making that doesn't rely on fancy camera tricks or pseudo film editing...There's no flash backs, no flash forwards, no duel or triple story lines to get in the way. The film is shot and edited entirely in line with the subject matter and the emotions of the film. It's balanced.

Entre nos, puts us literally into the shoes of a Colombian immigrant woman with two kids, who's abandoned in New York City by her deadbeat husband. The film felt real to me! That's high praise. It was like I went along with the family as they tried to make money by picking up aluminum cans, and sleeping on the streets. Geez what a life. And then the very ending with the post script about the film maker, blew me away! I had no idea that this was a true story and the film maker was the little homeless girl in the movie. With hope, anything is possible

The actress who plays the homeless mother, Paola Mendoza, was exceptional good. The entire film is focused on her and she's in just about every seen too. She felt like a real person to me, and that's what made the film work so well.

Entre nos will be one of my favorite movies in this Hof.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	44525  

The actress who plays the homeless mother, Paola Mendoza, was exceptional good. The entire film is focused on her and she's in just about every seen too. She felt like a real person to me, and that's what made the film work so well.

Entre nos will be one of my favorite movies in this Hof.
Yay. Someone liked it!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
picked up Entre Nos from my library today along with Phoenix (which I never got to watch the last time I got it) So, hopefully, I'll be seeing these next.

Gonna put Entre Nos back in my Netflix Q if I didn’t do so already. Mentioned that I have seen it, but can’t remember a single scene.

movies can be okay...
The Age of Shadows (2016) by Kim Jee-woon

The following film follows the ongoing battles between the Japanese forces, and the Korean resistance fighters, who are constantly hiding in the shadows, and attempting to quietly make their moves. Don't be mislead though, this is no history lesson, since most of the movie's focus is the entertainment value of the story, instead of faithfully devoting itself to any historical events.

The first thirty minutes or so were a bit of a chore to get through, because I was mostly lost and confused, by the multitude of names and faces that I couldn't keep up with. Of course, as the film went on, that problem slowly faded away, while my engrossment in the events increased. With that being said, I still can't really say I was totally into the happenings, and that probably stems from my lack of investment in the characters, who were neatly portrayed by the actors, but still weren't interesting or immersing enough, for me to care about them personally.

Nonetheless, there were some very memorable sequences here and there, like that greatly edited drinking scene, or the entire train trip. I also highly enjoyed the score, and the drama it brought by itself to the overall atmosphere. The cinematography is better than one would initially expect, from this kind of film, which resembles a better version of Hollywood blockbusters. Despite how expensive the movie looks, I can't really say that any of the effects, digital or practical, were that impressive, which is kind of a shame for a mostly action packed flick. Other than that, this is a perfectly paced, fairly entertaining, fun roller-coaster that I enjoyed riding.