Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Eraserhead - 5/10

I bought this movie when I was 18 after a girl with mutual tastes told me to check out David Lynch. I still don't like it.

Oddly enough, his next movie is a favorite of mine (The Elephant Man).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Theeb (Naji Abu Nowar, 2014)

A middle-Eastern Western
Looks appealing. I haven't seen many Middle-Eastern movies, and I think that's probably the most undiscovered. It seems like the only category where there are no enthusiasts or experts.. Many like Kiarostami, but that's all I know. I've seen "Rana's Wedding" - which was pretty good. Lots of Iranian movies seem to have a movie within a movie, or liberal uses of narrative.. Some amazing Turkish movies, "Dry Summer" being my favorite.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Ecstasy (1933) Germany
Never, EVERY thought I'd dislike a film that featured Hedy Lamar. But, sadly, this did not work for me at all. It dragged horribly with terrible music and very flat acting.
And yeah, that's Hedy at around 18 or 19 when this came out.

Camille (1936)
Greta Garbo, Robert Taylor and Henry Daniel lead this tragic love story beautifully that I have not seen for decades. Garbo is always great for seeing a world weary lady who loves life with equal zeal.
One for all the romantics to see for the 30s Countdown.

BRAVO!!
One of the best films of the decade! I LOVE this film!
Did you watched the 3hrs version?
Saw it on Netflix and it was only 2hrs10min. So I'll have to go searching for the full length.
Really amazing movie.

Ecstasy (1933) Germany
Never, EVERY thought I'd dislike a film that featured Hedy Lamar. But, sadly, this did not work for me at all. It dragged horribly with terrible music and very flat acting.
And yeah, that's Hedy at around 18 or 19 when this came out.

Camille (1936)
Greta Garbo, Robert Taylor and Henry Daniel lead this tragic love story beautifully that I have not seen for decades. Garbo is always great for seeing a world weary lady who loves life with equal zeal.
One for all the romantics to see for the 30s Countdown.
Wow, I would've never recognized Hedy Lamar from that photo. Is it a German language film?

Camille I need to see that one again too. I remember liking it, most of Garbo films I've liked.

Wow, I would've never recognized Hedy Lamar from that photo. Is it a German language film?

Camille I need to see that one again too. I remember liking it, most of Garbo films I've liked.
It is a German Expressionist film with nudity. I put a link for youtube in the 30s countdown thread in case anyone else had better luck with it than I did.

Garbo's got quite a few film I really love. Always loved her side expressions that made you wonder more about what she wasn't saying.

Cimarron (1931)

Academy Award Best Picture winner.

I watched this for the upcoming 1930s Top 100 Movies Countdown

I'm glad I did too, it's interesting from a film history standpoint and not bad at entertaining either.
++

My full review
Been very curious about that. Going to watch a Mae West film; She Done Him Wrong with Cary Grant as the hapless man in love with her. Haven't seen this one for ages either. Though my favorite was My Little Chickadee with WC Fields.

10/10 I love it when films live up to their hype Opressive and mezmerizing!
Hiroshi Teshigahara's films always live up to their hype!
Glad to know! Wanna see that one about face surgery.

... Going to watch a Mae West film; She Done Him Wrong with Cary Grant as the hapless man in love with her. Haven't seen this one for ages either. Though my favorite was My Little Chickadee with WC Fields.
I've seen both and both are fun watches! My favorite of Mae West is first film which is a precode, Night After Night with George Raft.

Most interesting man in the world
Given that some people can't understand that a SPIDER posing a threat to you..is the same as a person posing a threat I decided to rewatch

Earth vs the spider 1958. 7. / 10

" Teenagers from a rural community and their high school science teacher join forces to battle a giant mutant spider."

- fun movie

I've seen both and both are fun watches! My favorite of Mae West is first film which is a precode, Night After Night with George Raft.
That's another good one!

She Done Him Wrong (1933)
+++
"Listen, when a woman goes wrong, men go right after her."
Mae West saunters and seduces in the 1890's Boweries with an enamored Cary Grant and several others.

Just rewatched Babette's Feast and I absolutely loved it. Stéphane Audran really was a terrific actress. The movie works as a meditative piece on recluse life, as well as an exclamation that excellence can give a purpose to life.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Black Panther

(Ryan Coogler)

Finally got a chance to see this film, being a dad has now taken my movie watching time away from me. Nonetheless, I found a way...even if it is a little late to the party. I sit here, literally astounded by the success of this film. No one can sit here and tell me they expected this film to do as well as it did. Sure, people were expecting it to be a huge success, but the number one Marvel film? 3rd highest grossing film of all-time domestically? This beast beat out Titanic and not just by a slim margin either. It's going to be the third film to ever cross 700-million dollars. The other two being Avatar and The Force Awakens. Is it really that good of a film? Is it just that a certain community finally has a cool, kick-ass hero to get behind? Is it that they wanted to support this film no matter the quality? I think it's all of that and more.

Wakanda is a technologically advanced city like no one has ever seen before. Hidden from our world, we only see it as a sandals and spears village. T'Challa returns to Wakanda to claim the throne after his father's death in Civil War. He is challenged for the throne by an outsider who has mysterious ties to Wakanda itself. Will this outsider defeat T'Challa and claim the thrown? What nefarious plans does he have for the city and the world at large?

Black Panther is one smooth mofo. He is literally the James Bond of the MCU. His little sister is his own Q, making hi-tech gadgets to use on his spy missions. This spy mission dove tails into a unique car chase which sets most of the film in motion. Coogler manages to keep the action within frame and never loses the viewers spacial awareness. He does this again, marvellously when characters fight atop a waterfall, which are the highlights of this film for me. Those sequences are simple, effective and showcase some beautiful costumes. I appreciate the fact that my favourite scenes are two people fighting, no explosions, no chase, minimal cgi. It brings it all back to the story. Who are these two people fighting and why, what are the stakes? It feels real here, something that the climax is not able to replicate.

Black Panther falls into the generic third act that all marvel films seem to believe in. Massive fight scenes on an open field/large area where the CGI takes the front seat. It especially hurts Black Panther because I don't think the CGI is particularly that effective. I point to the scene where TWO Black Panthers are fighting one another and the scene just feels fake. I don't believe these two actors are there, nothing is tangible. It takes away from the drama. Get me back on that waterfall and I'm game.

As much as I thought Chadwick Boseman had charisma for this role, it's the supporting cast that shine bright here. Lupita Nyong'o as a possible love interest and Wakandan spy, Danai Gurira of Walking Dead fame, the most skilled fighter and Letitia Wright as the aforementioned sister, with brains and humour. These three ladies steal the show from Boseman in every scene and elevated this film for me. Yet the one real standout is obviously Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger. An MCU villain with real goals, real problems and relatable emotions. This film is not concerned about world domination, it's very self contained. The problems arise from black on black violence. I thought it was a good choice to not make the main villain white, it opens up the conversation a bit more as to what Coogler was trying to accomplish.

Black Panther is fun, fresh and falls right in line with how other MCU films work as a cog in a bigger wheel. Some missteps hurt the film, one I find to be a glaring issue involves Get Out's Kayuuya's motivations for who he is fighting for being incredibly weak and unearned. Some shoddy CGI sequences take you out of the experience, but as a whole, this film is a winner.

Suspect's Reviews

Di je Karlo?
I've seen 2 movies last night so I'm just gonna rate them both

Iron Man 2 (2010) - 58/100
It was fine for one viewing but I don't see myself ever watching it again. It was significantly less intelligent than the first Iron Man and had characters that wouldn't feel out of place in a corny 2000s sitcom, but it redeemed itself with fun action and panache you'd expect from Iron Man.

Whiplash (2014) - 94/100
Here's a prime example of a movie with a soul. What I mean by that is you can really tell that the director was in love with his craft as well as his topic: the topic in question being jazz. The story of an ambitious jazz drummer trying to make it big is kinda simplistic, but it excels because of how it's presented. The dialogue is clever, the soundtrack is top-notch, and Terrence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons) is a riot in every scene he's in. There's also some sequences where the cinematography matches up to the music being played by the characters. It's impossible not to get a kick out of those.

“I was cured, all right!”
Saw it on Netflix and it was only 2hrs10min. So I'll have to go searching for the full length.
Really amazing movie.
The 3 hrs version is incredible. Strongly recommend!