Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

She Done Him Wrong (1933)

-

From the top 100 laughs list and featuring one Cary Grant's first roles, although it's a small one. It's completely a showcase for Mae West, so watch it if you're a fan of her's, although I think if you're a fan, you had to have seen this already. I wasn't totally enamored with her but she does have star appeal. I didn't think it was much of a movie but it was an easy watch, especially being only 65 minutes long.

[The Swimmer] I love this movie, Fab!
I agree. It's a very absorbing movie, albeit with a shocker ending...

Lancaster was great at those types of roles. And I'm sure that the off-beat nature of the story appealed to him.

~Doc

She Done Him Wrong (1933)

-
From the top 100 laughs list and featuring one Cary Grant's first roles, although it's a small one. It's completely a showcase for Mae West, so watch it if you're a fan of her's, although I think if you're a fan, you had to have seen this already. I wasn't totally enamored with her but she does have star appeal. I didn't think it was much of a movie but it was an easy watch, especially being only 65 minutes long.

A fun film, although quite short. But this pre-code movie featured some of West's best saucy double entendres.

~Doc
]

The truth is in here
Out Of Africa

Not wanting to be left alone, Karen decides to marry Bror, but only for financial purposes. (This is not a secret, she straightup tells him right away) She establishes a plantation in Africa, but to her dismay her husband decides they should grow coffee. She eventually meets the happy-go-lucky hunter Denys, who she develops a complicated relationship with...

At first I couldn't get past Meryl Streep's accent. It was so offputting at first, to where I wondered "What the hell is she doing?". But once I got past that she turned out to deliver a very good and believable performance. I'm glad this movie avoided the cliché of making the husband a jerk to the point where it's no wonder she has an affair. He's not a very romantic type, but he's not cold. He's busy, but he doesn't do it out of spite. He's neglectful, but he doesn't treat her like dirt. Unfortunate circumstances just lead her to spending a lot of time at home with him away at war.
The settings have a personality of their own, giving a nice look at regular life in an African country, which shows people with their own little quirks. I'm glad they didn't exaggerate it as much as possible making it out to be the most difficult place to live on earth, because it's so clichéd at this point. This is not a movie about poverty. In fact, Karen even proves to provide some medical help to those who need it. Rather, it's about trying to make the best of what you've got, and someone who will make you happy and do anything to be with you. Unfortunately for Karen, she doesn't fully get her wish in either of her relationships. Her husband often goes off to war and rarely stays at home. She starts to develop some feelings for him, but they slowly die out as he doesn't help out with the farm and she contracts syphilis from him. Denys becomes the man she really starts to love, and they always tell funny or tragic stories to each other. But he's an adventurer. He always wants to be somewhere else. So even though she might sound selfish when she tries to prevent him from living out his own dreams, it's understandable. She always gets abandoned.
WARNING: spoilers below
When Denys then dies in a plane crash, she gives up on the farm and returns to Denmark. You're left wondering where destiny will take her, and if she ever will love again or rather stand alone in fear of being abandoned.
Streep and Robert Redford have electric chemistry with each other. Their shared joy and passion is realistic and handled with just the right balance. They only have one serious argument in the entire film, and it's not emphasized by over-the-top yelling and arms flailing. They are rather just sad, frustrated over their own clashing ideals and contemplative. We see Redford moving his finger over the map in starts and stops, taking Karen's words in but not budging. The scene asks an important question about what an act of love really means. Is it really love to stop doing what you love in order to make your lover happy? Does love mean never putting away too much time to yourself?
Throughout the movie Streep narrates the events, which can prove a killer or a winner with some. While at times a bit sappy, Streep's narration proves to work very well. The closer where she reads up a letter provide the perfect bittersweet finish to a classic tale.

A little bit Oscar bait at times, but a relaxing naturally paced romantic drama.

I agree. It's a very absorbing movie, albeit with a shocker ending...

Lancaster was great at those types of roles. And I'm sure that the off-beat nature of the story appealed to him.

~Doc
I loved The Swimmer too...Lancaster was brilliant and the ending was absolutely heartbreaking.

Pigs and Battleships (1961) (Dir. Shohei Imamura)

An educated man behind a desk instructs his business partners to legitimize themselves as corporate types and donate a percentage of their income to charity before the camera cuts to the rag tag bunch of criminals with glazed eyes, mouths ajar, and hungry wallets. The camera pans from the street to a second story onlooker, then cuts to his perspective and again pans to the man at the doorway. A hookup turned assault gets shot from the ceiling and spins the room as the situation escalates. Gangster after gangster is carried out on stretchers broken up intermittently by stretchers carrying pigs with bullet wounds.

It's an effortlessly entertaining gangster film that not only exhibits Imamura's visual craft to great effect, but which also showcases his grasp on social issues and human instinct. It's a film about US imperialism and the military-industrial complex feeding into economic stressors in a Japanese port city surviving on pimping out their daughters. It's a movie about a doomed love between kids caught up in situations far bigger than themselves. Imamura's greatest achievement here is how he expertly shifts between tones and subjects, addressing the substance of his film on a human level that makes it easily digestible. Quite a feat.

Through a Glass Darkly (1961) (Dir. Ingmar Bergman)

A lot of my favorite movies are about broken people. The female protagonists are always the ones allowed to come completely unhinged. I think the male directors often feel more comfortable entering that territory by shedding the masculine veneer they themselves struggle to pierce. These suffering women offer a betrayed vulnerability, a vision of chaos and hysteria their male counterparts are rarely meant for and rarer still allowed to approach. When they do their mania is almost always expressed through violence inflicted upon others which often obscures their pain. I tell myself that is why I so often gravitate towards these pictures. As with any Bergmanian conflict, things are never so easily resolved. As with any Bergmanian conflict, the guilt and shame are essential to the experience.

Welcome to the human race...
Honestly the most offended I've ever been in this thread.
Yeah, I'll admit that I was just going for the pun more than anything.

Last movie watched...

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky -

Art.

Out of the Blue (1980)

That face stays in my head and it haunts me. With a second watch, I appreciate the performance of Linda Manz so much more since I understand the character. The ending is one of my favorites because it's so awful. My wife didn't enjoy it but liked it. She liked Cebe and said she would have been friends with her if she knew her.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

''Out here, everything hurts. You wanna get through this? Do as I say.''

“I was cured, all right!”
Red Beard (1965) - Akira Kurosawa

★★★★★
Masterpiece!

I cried, I cried a lot! Not because the film is sad, but because I could not believe the artistic beauty that Kurosawa achieved with this film, I loved it so much! Pure art!

Edit:

I love you, Toshirō Mifune!

“I was cured, all right!”

★★

★★
A bipolar crime/drama... The best thing about this one is to see John Hawkes as the main character.

◘ (atrocity)
It's exactly what looks... A waste of potential!

Iron Man (Tod Browning, 1931)
+
There ain't nothing heroic about this one

Horse Feathers (1932)

I remember seeing Groucho Marx on TV when I was little, but I have no idea what it was that I saw. So, this was basically my first time watching one of their movies. I usually don't laugh out loud even when watching my favorite comedies. I did during this movie a few times. I don't think there's a reason to judge it based on anything else. I'm looking forward to the rest of their movies. I'm just going to spread them out.

Red Beard (1965) - Akira Kurosawa

★★★★★
Masterpiece!

I cried, I cried a lot! Not because the film is sad, but because I could not believe the artistic beauty that Kurosawa achieved with this film, I loved it so much! Pure art!

Edit:

I love you, Toshirō Mifune!
Is there a Japanese movie that is not a 5/5 star for you?