Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A room for Romeo Brass (1999)

This is an absolute joy where amateurish comes off in spades. The turn into darkness is upsetting but excellently captured by Shane Meadows. Funny, tragic and uplifting. I even rewatched with Shane and Paddys directors "talk through". Morrels parking suitably garbage as Paddy had only passed his driving test to be the character. 9/10.
Paddy Considine's so good in this. If anyone's a fan of Dead Man's Shoes they should check this out.

Incidentally Vicky McClure looks nice in that promo shot .

Paddy Considine's so good in this. If anyone's a fan of Dead Man's Shoes they should check this out.

Incidentally Vicky McClure looks nice in that promo shot .
Paddy, oh Paddy....his dancing at the seaside "resort"...his wearing of leisure gear, nicking a salt cellar..."can't destroy you today lads, i'm on some serious business".

Vicky McClure is a babe....that's so subjective but true

Paddy, oh Paddy....his dancing at the seaside "resort"...his wearing of leisure gear, nicking a salt cellar..."can't destroy you today lads, i'm on some serious business".
I haven't seen it for some time but I think the bit where he's on about wrestling with a ghost is the funniest.

Vicky McClure is a babe....that's so subjective but true
She really is .

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

I haven't seen it for some time but I think the bit where he's on about wrestling with a ghost is the funniest.

Paddy says he was bringing the spirit of Bartley Gorman (Bareknuckle "King of the Gypsies") in his wild tales and accent.

She really is .
She's well yum lol!

Libertarias (1996)

Spanish war-film set in 1936 at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War. It traces the exploits of a group of feminist militia-women fighting on the leftwing Republican side in an anarchist group. The action begins in a conflictive Barcelona where cathedrals and convents are being purged, before moving to Aragón and a bitterly fought area in the war (later to be scenario of the infamous and bloody Battle of the Ebro). They are a courageous and loyal group who are eager to show the male soldiers that women are not simply wives and mothers, but are just as capable of fighting for, and dying for, their beliefs and their sense of freedom. A colourfully diverse band, they include a female soldier, a medium, an ex-nun and an ex-prostitute. Very good movie that explores the characters of the women (and the men fighting alongside them) and their attitudes to war, religion, love & sex, and of course politics.

Battle Royale (2000)

Japanese horror movie & adaptation of the (excellent) 1999 novel by Koushun Takami. Set in a dystopia with serious economic and societal problems, whole classrooms of high-school teenagers are regularly kidnapped, set loose on a deserted island and forced to fight each other to death gladiator-style. Takami's book and this film were allegedly later plagarized -albeit significantly altered - by US author Suzanne Collins in The Hunger Games trilogy & film franchise (though the death game scenario is an old tale anyway). Battle Royale is a gritty, brutal film of paranoia and misplaced trust, of passions and jealousy, of deadly miscalculations and of the terrible opening realization that it really is true and 'the game's on'. Interesting how the societal troubles come with unemployment rising to 15% according to the movie announcement at the beginning - shock, horror! - (Japan usually has around 2 - 4%). In Europe it has in this decade hit as high as 25% in Spain and Greece, fortunately without organized death games (so far, at least).

Baraka (1992)

Ron Fricke's non-language, non-narrative collection of scenes exploring different aspects of (mostly) human life. I say mostly, as one of the best scenes is the opening one of Japanese snow monkeys that appear to be meditating, or at least deep in thought. Other topics covered include religion and spirituality - with some interesting rituals and ceremonies from around the world, modern labour conditions and agricultural methods, genocide and environmental damage. Perhaps too much naďvety at times in the implied constrast between seemingly idyllic pre-industrial societies on the one hand, and images of a mindless and callous world of advanced industrial societies on the other. The now famous 'chicks-down-the-shute' scene is truly horrific though. There's a 2011 sequel by Fricke - "Samsara", on my wish-list.

A Quiet Place (2018)

Plot:: A family live in a post-apocalyptic world, where making the slightest noise could result in death.

I'm a very easy to please guy. I like nearly every movie I see. It's very rare for me to find a movie 'highly overrated', but unfortunately this critically-acclaimed movie is one of those rare cases. Some parts of this film are great, others not so.

-The sound in this film is worse than Dunkirk. For a film about being quiet, it is way too loud. Whenever a sound that is considered threatening plays, it is f*cking deafening. The sounds appear to have been turned up to the max in post, which is a terrible idea. This is a film about being quiet, having noises at normal volume would work as the lack of sound would amplify the one sound. If you have sensitive ears, be very careful going to see this film.

-Since there’s almost no dialogue, the music is very obvious. It seems very forced and obnoxious at times, especially at the beginning of the film.

-The colour tint of the film is kinda gross. It has this ugly, greenish look. It is the kind of tint that you would see when you scroll through posters of s*it, poorly rated horror films from the 21st century. You can see this thing on the poster where Emily Blunt is sitting in the bath. If I was scrolling through a list of horror films and saw this poster without seeing the film, I’d assume it was just one of ’those’ types of horror films Not a good idea marketing team. Here is an examples of films to get my point across.

The other poster though where she has her hand over her mouth is brilliant, simple, disturbing, makes you want to know more about the film

-The ending is very anticlimactic.
WARNING: spoilers below
Sure it is heavily implied that they kill the monsters and return to a happy life, but not seeing that just makes the film feel unsatisfying. Maybe have an extra 2 minute scene where they are doing a bunch of noisy stuff while being really happy?

-Then there are a couple of weird (I'm possibly nitpicking in this part, sorry) stuff that takes you out of the world of the film:
WARNING: spoilers below
-Why are they having a baby in a world where you cannot make noise? What happens before the title might be a good indication, but that doesn’t justify it. The only reason I could think of is repopulation, but in order for that to happen incest would have to be involved, and that’s a nope.
-There is this random character who appears for 5 seconds and is then killed. By the main characters' reaction to the man it appears they’ve never seen him before, which makes no sense since this apocalypse has been in effect for 400 days.
-When the dad sacrifices himself, he doesn’t even consider fighting the monster when the axe is right beside him. The emotion is handled well in this scene, but most certainly not the logic.

Despite what I've said, I actually liked a whole lot about this film.

-The opening of the film before the title is brilliant. It could totally stand on its own as a short film. It has a great sense of intrigue and terror. Some of the tension in the overall film is really good. In these scenes the music is used very appropriately. It’s loud but not stupidly loud, loud enough to make you feel on edge.

-That boy playing the son is a fantastic actor, I loved seeing him react to each situation. I loved the scenes of the dad and the son interacting near the river and waterfalls. It feels very heartwarming and realistic.

-I loved how the film didn’t have any force exposition, it’s only from old newspapers in the background we get a mild idea of what happened. It’s cool that they got an actual deaf actress to play the deaf girl, her performance is pretty meh but you can she is trying her best. Usually in films when they have family photos for emotional scenes, the photos look fake. In this film however the photos look like actual family photos (The picture of the kid on the beach with the colours messed up for example). The creature design is actually really cool. I liked the look of that gross orifice they use to hear noises. Some of the CGI of them when they interact with objects is a little weird though.

It's pretty disappointing this film wasn't all as it was cracked up to be, considering the director seems very passionate about the project, and he watched some brilliant horror movies in preparation for this.

Should you see this film? Sure. You'll probably love it. My review is just to warn you that you may be disappointed...

ALSO TO NOT F*CKING LAUGH DURING THE MOVIE!!!
The director is super handsome so I don't want you to disappoint him.

+

Terrifier

That Art the clown from all hallows eve is up to his old tricks again.. one scene in particular involving a woman, a saw and a clown will be hard to forget.

+

Pulse 2: Afterlife - 6.5/10

In an effort of progression from the first, this one is quickly becoming re-watchable at times for me. No Kristen Bell is obviously a downside right away, but the fact that this film doesn't have many renown performers kind of gives it more of a distanced feel, as in disconnected, which works great given the plot.

First viewing was as an outerlibrary loan months ago (the first Pulse movie had been one of my favorites for years), then just a few days ago found it on the shelves of a pre played movies/dvd's for a few bucks...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I Am A Sex Addict
A shocking confession. I'm with you, bro! Don't give up!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Wind River (2017)

Wow what a great movie! I was surprised. Impressive on all levels, ie visually, sound, characters, pacing and story. One of the best films I have seen from 2017. Well worth watching. Slow burner that builds momentum.

4.5/5

I'll be keeping an eye on this writer/director Taylor Sheridan.

Last night I watched the Tenant with Polanski... made in 76... most of the time I giggled at the ham acting while wondering what goes on in this mans head....a genius..oh Im not so sure.....some of the acting was like Laurel and Hardy , and why so many Americans in this French film was beyond me.... I gave up after the tooth was found in the wall... I couldnt go on..

The Phantom (Alan James, 1931)

Doesn't set out it's stall well enough early enough

Small Town Crime (2017)

-

A drunken ex-cop who wants back on the force gets involved with some murders. Pretty cliche but it plays out well thanks to a terrific John Hawkes, dark humor, and timely violence. I absolutely loved it until the action became a little formulaic in the latter third.

“I was cured, all right!”
The best opening sequence that I ever saw!

Dreamlike, haunting, atmospheric, disturbing, beautiful. Aguirre is all of this! Klaus Kinski as Don Lope de Aguirre was terrifying, an incredible interpretation.
I was stunned by how true to the natives, to the hills of Peru, to the Amazon river they were! Well, it was all filmed in location! It's not like The Lost City of Z (bull****) where the jungle doesn't looks like Amazonas at all and the natives... F**k that. In Aguirre, it's all there, the raining forests, the hostile atmosphere, the damn insects.An achievement!
95 min of pure cinematic beauty! The soundtrack doesn't looks that was made in this world, it looks like something from above the clouds, something mythic.