Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

movies can be okay...
Thelma (2017) by Joachim Trier

First and foremost, the strobe lights featured in this movie are unbearable. I simply couldn't even take a peek at my TV, due to their extremity. Anyway, as for the quality of the film, it was pretty good for the most part. My entire experience was divided into two halves. The first half, I was fairly interested and engaged with all of the happenings. While the second half turned everything into complete mediocrity.

In the beginning, the centre of attention was the psychology of our main character, and her conflicted mindset, while the supernatural aspect of the movie is put in the background, and is only a catalyst to the internal conflict. Thelma (our main character), is held back by her religious upbringing and morals, which alienate her from the generic college life that constantly tempts her. This, to me, is much more interesting than having the focus be on Thelma's powers, how to treat them, their source, etc...The latter is my issue with the second half of the film, which contains many overused tropes, such as a character going to a weird out of town place, in order to find out more about whatever occurring paranormal stuff.

All in all, the good about "Thelma" definitely outweighs the bad. It is shot very well, and has an interesting concept, but regular execution, beside the few shinning and powerful scenes here and there, such as my favourite: The first terrifying flashback to Thelma's childhood, and what happens with the baby.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
I'm confused about one aspect of the film:
WARNING: "Thelma" spoilers below
If Thelma is able to make things return, just as she can make them disappear, why didn't she bring back her father? Did she intentionally not want him back, or maybe she doesn't precisely know or understand how to make one return, which maybe makes the last scene all in her head. But there's still that flashback, where she brought back her baby brother.

WARNING: "Thelma" spoilers below
If Thelma is able to make things return, just as she can make them disappear, why didn't she bring back her father? Did she intentionally not want him back, or maybe she doesn't precisely know or understand how to make one return, which maybe makes the last scene all in her head. But there's still that flashback, where she brought back her baby brother.
WARNING: "Thelma (2017)" spoilers below
She was only able to bring her brother back before he died. When she put him under the ice in the lake, he froze to death, and she was not able to revive him. She can't bring her father back because she didn't just make him disappear, she set him on fire first.

I also got the impression that killing her father was a liberating experience, since she was shedding his control over her and becoming her own woman. Even if he hadn't died, I don't think she would've wanted to bring him back like she did with Anja because his influence was not going to be a part of her new, self-defined identity.

movies can be okay...
WARNING: "Thelma (2017)" spoilers below
She was only able to bring her brother back before he died. When she put him under the ice in the lake, he froze to death, and she was not able to revive him. She can't bring her father back because she didn't just make him disappear, she set him on fire first.

I also got the impression that killing her father was a liberating experience, since she was shedding his control over her and becoming her own woman. Even if he hadn't died, I don't think she would've wanted to bring him back like she did with Anja because his influence was not going to be a part of her new, self-defined identity.
Oh wow! I cant believe I forgot about that. Thanks for the clarification, and I also agree with what you said about her father.

I decided to rewatch Sword of Doom, but I'm really tired and likely won't get anything written before I go to bed, other than the few notes I already have scribbled down. It was one of those films where I couldn't remember much about it at the start, but it started to come back to me the longer I watched it. It's strange how that works haha.

The Sword of Doom / 大菩薩峠 (1966)
Directed By: Kihachi Okamoto
Starring: Tatsuya Nakadai, Michiyo Aratama, Yoko Naito

The Sword of Doom is a visually impressive film with great cinematography, set design, and costuming. Interior shots are framed beautifully, and the camera's movements or focus during the action sequences are handled extremely well. The film's narrative defies conventional expectations, though every seemingly unconnected event is woven together beautifully, with every choice made throughout the film building towards the prolonged, dramatic finale.

Do not continue past this point if you do not wish to read spoilers. Everything below this warning is about the ending.

The more I think about it, the more I love this film's non-ending. At first I was disappointed that so many subplots remained unresolved, and that we never got to witness a duel between Ryunosuke and Hyoma Utsuki, but that's part of its brilliance. We expect to see this revenge story resolved because that's typically the main plot of other samurai films, but this was never a traditional story with its focus on a character that would normally be the villain.

While the final battle can be understood literally, I appreciate that there's ambiguity over whether or not it's even real. Was Ryunosuke simply consumed by his madness and living in a personal hell? Is he doomed to fight wildly without his usual patience and precision against an unending stream of opponents? We're given no answers because the film stops abruptly. This is a very clever choice, however it is completely undermined by the fact that The Sword of Doom was meant to be a trilogy. However since no sequels were ever made, we can fortunately enjoy the film as it is, or even consider the lack of closure to be a nod to the serial novel it was based on, since its author died before completing it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doom.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	43567  

Phoenix

Possible Spoilers

The beginning when they go over the border seemed like a strange scene to me. Not a bad one because it succeeded at getting me interested right away, but there just seemed to be something off about it. Something about the American character or actor or his behavior, I'm not really sure. I'm not even sure why I'm mentioning it because it's more of an afterthought now, but at the time, even though it gained my interest, it had me wondering about the quality of the movie going forward.

It's a pretty simple story and it was wise to keep the runtime at what it was. If this were two hours it could have been a drag. The coldness and tragedy of it all is established early on well before we get into the mystery aspect, although I knew Johnny was the key to the story by her friend's response to her question about him. At first I had a hard time believing he wouldn't know it was her, even telling my wife that I would know her with a completely different head on her body. Then the realization sets in that she's a completely different person, and I felt a little silly for not knowing this right away. I still wondered how likely it was, but I don't have to believe it's likely, I just have to believe it's possible. She obviously walked different, probably due to emotional trauma, and she seemed to me to be conscious of it. I wondered about her voice the most. There were questions I had that weren't answered that I'm glad weren't answered. Did a part of her want him to know? Did she want to resume the relationship? How suspicious was he? Was he even a bad guy?

I thought it was a solid movie in every way and I have no real complaints. I feel like it could have easily gone full thriller mode and I would have loved it. It's just not that kind of movie. I did love the way it ended, and it was a smart move considering that song can be so powerful in it's own way. That's the only scene that will stand out in my memory and that's the reason I liked it but didn't love it.

+

Cosmic I'm glad you liked Sword of Doom. I figured when I nominated it that you hadn't seen it before, so I was surprised there, and I was very unsure if you even liked those types of movies.

I really loved those types of films when I was in high school, but I watched too many in a short period of time and became very tired of them. So for over a decade now I've never sat down to watch any on my own accord, which is why I've never really talked about them here. But it's been long enough now that my interest seems to be coming back.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
/ Les Parapluies de Cherbourg
(1964)
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Starring: Catherine Deneuve, Anne Vernon, Nino Castelnuovo

I tend to avoid musicals as much as possible, and one of the biggest problems I have with them are the songs themselves. Other than being a genre of music I don't really like, the songs often seem to just repeat a particular sentiment and pad out of the runtime. I just can't get invested in the whole song and dance routine. However, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is not that kind of musical. I'd describe it more like an opera, since otherwise normal dialogue is sung instead of having characters converse with one another then randomly break out into a song. It was still initially off-putting, but I did get used to it as the film progressed.

The first act contains a typical young love plot line that I wasn't particularly interested in, which added another barrier to me enjoying the film. Though once Geneviève and Guy were separated during the middle section of the story, the film became much better and I even became slightly invested in what was happening. The final act was very well handled, and I was honestly surprised when the scene that I thought would be the perfect place to end the film actually was the final scene. When the credits rolled I thought...yeah, I quite liked that.

The cinematography contained a lot of nice, vivid colours. Even the rundown buildings and sleazier locations looked pretty because of it. I didn't start to notice it until maybe a third of the way through the film, but there was a lot of colour matching between the characters' wardrobes and the backgrounds. There was clearly a lot of thought put into the staging to each shot to create a particular colour scheme without having to grade the film in post production. It was quite beautiful, and I'm glad it was nominated, since it's nice to be surprised by films you wouldn't otherwise watch.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrellas.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	43574  

Because I'm really lazy and can't be bothered writing new reviews, here are my previous ones from before

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Pan's Labyrinth

It really is in all honesty a foreign modern masterpiece. Not many fantasy films are as this emotional , this entertaining and this mystical as this. Del Toro is a directorial genius and its this film that has put him on the map , if not already. This is Pan's Labyrinth.

In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again.

Personally this film is a definate masterpiece by any means. The Acting is great and really lures you in to the belief that the events that you are watching in the film are really unpleasant and grumesone. Ivanna Baquero is very charming as Ofelia and its her story and her character alone that make the film worth while.

I will also say the narrative pacing is brilliant and gives you time to breath whenever something scary or something thrilling occurs in the film. The Cinematography is beautiful and any frame of that film you could take out and frame it in an art museum or in your own home and sit there , look at it and magnify it and then proclaim its a piece of art. Watching it was a nice and peaceful experience unlike most films i have watched. And this being foreign made it more of a masterpiece because foreign films as a whole you could either like or dislike. Never the less its great relaxing.

What else can i say ? its a masterpiece , See it if you havent now because if your havent , your missing out and it is your own fault. Pan's Labyrinth is a foreign masterpiece.

Rating - 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...La Haine

Different approach this time , i am going to review something foreign and was made a few years back. So sit back and read my review of La Haine.

The film follows three young men and their time spent in the French suburban "ghetto," over a span of twenty-four hours. Vinz, a Jew, Saïd, an Arab, and Hubert, a black boxer, have grown up in these French suburbs where high levels of diversity coupled with the racist and oppressive police force have raised tensions to a critical breaking point. During the riots that took place a night before, a police officer lost his handgun in the ensuing madness, only to leave it for Vinz to find. Now, with a newfound means to gain the respect he deserves, Vinz vows to kill a cop if his friend Abdel dies in the hospital, due the beating he received while in police custody.

The Subtitles didn't bother me as i do enjoy Foreign Films when i come across them. Vincent Cassel is one of those great talents that Hollywood have just began to notice. Hollywood arent good at finding talent outside their own country (Bar UK) and this film really shows how good Vincent Cassel is as an actor.

This is a great film about social problems , gangs and how the central characters deal with those problems. I think its very well paced. Not much happens , but events are taking place on screen that makes the events that happen on screen feel more safe and interesting. I like that they shot it in Black & White. It looks grim and bleak , where as in colour , i think it would have been boring and not very interesting to follow.

I also love the locations used in the film. Paris is sterotyped as the love capital of the world , but when seen in a film like La Haine , you rarely see any love or passion. Its just like any other city in the world but with its own cultural differences.

Overall , Great Drama film with a great time frame and compelling characters. La Haine is a must see.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg

Intro: With La La Land's astonishing success last year, one of the films mentioned by Damian Chazelle was The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg, a french musical film made in the 60s. This peaked my interest, and I was eager to see this as soon as I can. But did it live up to the hype?

Plot: This is the story of 16 year-old Genevieve and 20 year-old Guy who are very much in love. Her kindly mother, who runs an umbrella shop, won't hear of her marrying, particularly as Guy has yet to complete his compulsory military service. Genevieve is heartbroken when he leaves for his army service in colonial Algeria and is upset to have received only one letter from him in two months. She's also pregnant. Her mother has a solution to the situation in the form of diamond merchant Roland Cassard who has helped them out in the past. Roland is a kind man who accepts to raise Genevieve's child as his own. By the time Guy returns from Algeria Genevieve is married and the umbrella shop has been sold. Several years later, they meet again.

Music & Lyrics: The key strength of this film is the music. It's fitting and whimsical for its time, and gives the film a very charming personality for the audience to absorb. But at times, I feel the lyrics don't often work, or are a bit clunky at certain points in the story. It's all sung through beginning to end, and there are times where it really doesn't work very well. But when it works, you feel the effect of the mood & tone the film is trying to set to you.

Characters: The two main characters are Guy & Genevieve, played by a young Nino Castelnuovo and Catherine Deneuve. Both have amazing chemistry and you buy into their young, sweet, teenage dream of a relationship, even though the happiness is ultimately short lived. Both actors do very well with the material, and both juggle the highs and lows of love and growing up in different ways, both with light and dark moments. Special shoutout also goes to Anne Vernon as Madame Every, Genevieve's mother, a very nosy and domineering mother, who lets reputation cloud her daughter's true feelings.

Bittersweet: Again, I must reference La La Land, in regarding that they both have similar endings. Bittersweet being the classy word. Without spoiling it, it's an ending which is quite heartbreaking in many ways, but you get a sense that both the main characters are very different people from where they began in the film's start. It's also beautifully shot too, with the snow falling down very elegantly and light. Much like La La Land, both characters leave satisfied but saddened at the same time.

Overall: The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg is a strong solid musical, though with flaws none the less. It's romantic, whimsical, unique, and oh so very very french.

Rating: 75% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...La Famille Belier

Intro: I found this film in a second-hand DVD shop, and because I wanted to watch more French cinema, I purchased it. And after watching it, It's definitely one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time film wise.

Summary: The Béliers are ordinary people: Rodolphe and Gigi are married, have two children and run their farm for a living. Ordinary people? Well, almost... since three of them, Dad, Mum and their son Quentin, are deaf. Which is not the case of the boy's big sister, Paula. And not only can she speak but her music teacher scouts her beautiful voice as well. He offers her to sit for the entrance exam of the Maîtrise de Radio France, a vocal elite choir in Paris. Her parents, who rely on her as their ears and mouth in the outside world, take the news badly. Paula, who hates the idea of betraying her parents and her brother, goes through a painful dilemma...

Story: I found this to be a brilliant, yet simple well told story. You immediately fall in love with the Belier family, and really see that despite the fact 3/4 of the family are deaf, life is very much normal for them. The film's narrative flows well, showcasing the story all through Paula's POV. All of the characters are unique with their own little traits, and I enjoyed seeing them interact as the multiple plots intertwined pretty well.

Louane Emera: The star of the film is easily Louane Emera. The film's young star started out in The French Voice, doing pretty decently before transitioning into films. With both a blossoming career in music and film, she's certainly a rising star in France. And in this film, she's just charming and lovely to watch. A very natural screen presence, and carries the film's emotional weight very well. I look forward to seeing her in more films coming up.

Message: As someone with a mental disability myself, I take to disability films personally. I don't know any deaf people personally, but the film was very clear in announcing the amount of training and learning about French sign language the cast has to go through. I like the fact that it's a story about following your dreams and potential, and fighting for something stronger and better for yourself and everyone around you.

Overall: This is an amazing film and one I highly recommend to those who are favourable to foreign cinema. It has a charming story, great cast, and is a more positive french film with more heart and charm than anything else.

Rating: 100% - A+

To be fair, I've seen these films fairly recently and my opinion hasn't really changed that much.

For the films I haven't seen, I'll add a fresh review up here when I've seen the film.

I just don't see the point in writing up something completely new when I only watched these films a number of weeks ago for the purpose of this game. Hell, The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg I watched last night and not one part of my review has changed at all.

Forgive me, I have quite a cheeky sense of humour on forums these days.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Leopard

“We're just human beings in a changing world.”

Luchino Visconti and Alain Delon - what a combination! Although I do think I prefer Rocco and His Brothers.

The decaying splendour, the aging elder statesman eclipsed by the vibrancy of youth. The leopard might never changes his spots but he does come to see that that is the way of the future, as his chameleon nephew switches allegiances with an ambitious eye.

Yes, it’s too long and yes, at times, a little ponderous and dull. But also at times I was just taken in by the whole grand, sumptuous look of it. The film is more about the look and the evocative atmosphere than the plot or screenplay. There’s incredible attention to detail in the costuming, production design etc. Stills from this movie look like paintings. Although perhaps there needs to be a little more moving in this moving picture!

I didn’t grasp all of the history going on here and its significance - always an issue when watching historical films from other countries, but sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn’t. Here, I think it would make more sense if you have more of an understanding of the historical mood and events as the film doesn’t completely convey them in itself.

I don’t much like the way the dubbing is done. I see the reasoning behind it, having actors speaking different languages, but I think there is a reason that didn’t really catch on as a technique, it does take you out of the film when the sound doesn’t match up with what you are seeing, and they aren’t the actors own voices so you’re only getting half of their performance. There’s something uncanny about it.

Dubbing is evil. Will not watch any movie that’s dubbed.