Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

All the money in the world. Wow. Havent finished yet because i fell asleep but what an amazingmovie.
Wow, you.ve got me interested in this Dani8. (and I'm a serial offender at falling asleep when I'm really enjoying a film). Will check this one out zzzzzzzzzz

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Probably just my view Dani8 but I wanted more "chutspah" and characterisation. That said, a perfectly fine watch. I'm a better reviewer of films after I have 5 Kronenbourg inside me
maybe it's Beer O'clock, then, Marco?

Yeh the getty movie is quite amazing. Looking forward to finnishing it today and just letting it soak and sink in. For me, getting straight tothe christopher [lummer comlaints - wowee. he did a greaT JOB.

Sorry bout that. I slipped. I cant even blame beer o'clock.

maybe it's Beer O'clock, then, Marco?

Yeh the getty movie is quite amazing. Looking forward to finnishing it today and just letting it soak and sink in. For me, getting straight tothe christopher [lummer comlaints - wowee. he did a greaT JOB.

Sorry bout that. I slipped. I cant even blame beer o'clock.
I'm really looking forward to it now Dani8, I never read reviews so will go in with fresh eyes.

Christopher Plummer is an old stalwart. "Remember" 2015 is a good but difficult watch,

Beer o'clock started for me probably too soon after the Easter egg hunt

Walk on Water (2004)

Trilingual thriller from Israeli director Eytan Fox, in Hebrew, German and English. Top Mossad agent Eyal carries out his work with cold efficiency; but the new assignment has a twist. He poses as a tourist guide to spy on a pair of harmless young German siblings in Israel, whose family - unbeknown to them - nevertheless carries a dark secret from a Nazi past. And someone that Eyal's boss wants to have killed. Well-paced and very enjoyable movie that takes in various themes - revenge, assassination, German-Israeli and Jewish-Arab relations, and the role of the past in the present.

My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

British 80s film, low-budget & much-acclaimed early work from director Stephen Frears. Comedy-drama that explores topics pertinent to life in 80s UK, including business & Thatcher, racism & the Pakistani migrant community there, and (homo/bi-) sexuality. A relatively big hit at the time, it has aged moderately well since then: dialogue and plot progession felt clunky and awkward at times. There's a handsome young Daniel Day-Lewis in a warmly and comically-shot gay erotic scene, that is actually all the more erotic for being comical. Veteran actors Saeed Jaffrey and Roshan Seth stand out as the best performances and hold the dramatic fabric together.

Three Colours: White (1993)

Second part of the Kieslowski French-Polish trilogy exploring 'liberté, égalité, fraternité': here it's the white section of the flag and equality. Luckless Karol is divorced, scorned and thrown out by his French wife Dominique. He leaves Paris to return home penniless and desperate to Poland. But his business ventures are just about to begin, and in all the tricks and turns, his ex-wife will form the centre-piece of a cunning plot to regain his dignity. Although the weakest of the three films, still an interesting revenge-style drama with well-written dialogue and solid performances. Nice (though very short) courtroom connection to "Blue", plus the recurring theme of the old lady trying to get the bottle in the recycling container.

Mafioso (Alberto Lattuada, 1962):

What a gem! The tonal shifts between laughs and suspense are brilliantly executed. A must watch for fans of mafia films.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

Rollicking fun, sort-of-sequel to the original, with the name of Alan Parrish (the late Robin Williams) being the only real connection to the original. At least I think---it's been a long time since I've seen the first film. We start off with a kid finding the game and taking it a friend who uses it then disappears. Years later, four kids are sent to detention and made to clean out a storage room that will soon be a new computer room. There's a nerdish kid, a football player, a vain pretty girl, and a shy pretty girl. They find the game the previous kid had and hook it up. Of course it's just a minute before they get sucked into the game for real, reappearing as the avatar/characters they chose haphazardly. The nerd becomes Dwayne Johnson's macho character, the shy pretty girl becomes the knockout beauty and badass fighter played by Karen Gillan, the football player becomes Dwayne Johnson's sidekick helper, played by Kevin Hart, and most funnily, the vain girl becomes Jack Black, a map expert. Each has to deal with their new looks and talents while still having the personalities of teens.

Lots of non-stop adventure and action, with many funny moments. My favorite funny part is when
WARNING: spoilers below
Johnson and Gillan's characters, mind you, in their new bodies, go in to kiss each other. However, their teen counterparts have never kissed so you get the hilarious visual of Johnson and Gillan not knowing how to kiss and almost completely missing each other's lips with their mouths wide open and their tongues sticking out. Great to see these two stars totally making fools of themselves.

The movie has lots of excellent visuals, game puzzles to be solved like real-life video games with lifelines, powers, level-ups, etc. All of the actors do a solid job on their characters, and the direction by Jake Kasdan (the son of famous director/writer Lawrence Kasdan) keeping things rolling along with nary a lull. A swell bit of entertainment that is more than a match for its predecessor. I give one whole bag of popcorn for Karen Gillan alone, so lovely is she!

Welcome to the human race...
Ready Player One -

what kind of loser spends all their time obsessing over movies from the '80s

Lady Bird

A solid addition to a genre of film that I'm not that into. A coming of age story where the main character is a chick is about what I got from this, though it did make me want to call my sister (going off to college this next year too) and give her a hug and talk. It wasn't as amazing as I had heard, but it was still a well put together movie. Don't think I'll have this in my head for that much longer, nothing really blew me away with this.

Selma (Ava DuVernay, 2014)

Gets my vote as an enjoyable enough watch

It's Not Yet Dark (Frankie Fenton, 2016)

Sadly no longer so - R.I.P.

Crash (1996)

''After having–been constantly bombarded by road-safety propaganda,
it was almost a relief to find myself in a real accident.''

Visitor Q (Bizhitā Kyū) 2001.

More madness from Takashi Miike. I'm not even going to try and explain/comprehend this one. It's blimming hilarious and unnerving in equal measures. I really enjoyed this film and will search out more Takashi Miike.....nuts! 8/10.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007).

This really got under my skin, I loved the way it was shot and how the story of Mr Jesse James and Robert Ford unfolded. Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are both tremendous in a modern take on the legend and reality of Jesse. I found little to fault in this great picture, even the running time suited it perfectly. a 9.5/10 and definayely a 2nd watch required.

Continuing on with my favorite genre... neo-noir. This was a good one. A retired, former boxer gets sucked to doing enforcer work for a ruthless and powerful business man. I won't give away more than that. The acting was solid from every central character, and it was well written and directed.

7.5/10

Continuing on with my favorite genre... neo-noir. This was a good one. A retired, former boxer gets sucked to doing enforcer work for a ruthless and powerful business man. I won't give away more than that. The acting was solid from every central character, and it was well written and directed.

7.5/10
I liked this too DocHoliday, the colours and hue of the images really added to the power of the storyline.

Crash (1996)

''After having–been constantly bombarded by road-safety propaganda,
it was almost a relief to find myself in a real accident.''
I keep meaning to read the book – I remember glancing at it years ago and thinking the writing was incredible.