Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
Alright, mass mention time again:

@Citizen Rules @jiraffejustin @Nope1172 @Okay @edarsenal @Ultraviolence @ScarletLion @cricket @Pussy Galore @Thursday Next @Nemanja @Siddon @CaptainT @Luis @MijaFrost @MovieMad16

Can everyone please confirm that they have access to Samsura (2001). We have a Youtube link with English subtitles, but unfortunately it is blocked in the US.

Also, if any member happens to have mentions turned off, please let me know so I can stop using mentions and start sending PMs instead. Thanks.
I'll download the hell out of Samsara =]
Didn't like the youtube quality.

“I was cured, all right!”
Really liked the nominated films!

The Sword of Doom is one of my favorite films! Thanks Cricket

Already watched: The Sword of Doom, Benny's Video, Millennium Actress, Pan's Labyrinth, Assassination, The Age of Shadows, Thelma and of course The Leopard. I will rewatch all of them!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Assassination

ZERO Spoilers

About a year ago, in the space of a month I had seen a number of Resistance Fighter films set around the time of WWII. Several of them were Scandinavian along with this little South Korean gem that mixes espionage and action with moments of laughter, tension, and heartbreak. The blend of which, for me, is pretty flawless.
The Director/Screenplay Writer is a fan of stories involving cons, double dealings and twists, and he plays these aspects as a virtuoso. Which, if not prepared, or paying close attention, one can easily get lost in them on a first watch. But, trust me, it is truly worth it.

Set in Seoul and Shanghai during the 30's, Korea is under Japan's rule and an assassination is conceived for 3 enemies of Korea, including one of those who "sold out' Korea to Japan. A small group is selected to carry it out.
And things get . . . complicated.

All of which is done with the technical brilliance of a symphony. The actors, having worked together with one another as well as the Director in previous films, seem to slip right into their roles and, with one another, with familiar ease as things escalate and alliances seem to bounce back and forth. The intricate dance growing more dangerous upon the razor's blade.

Shot with the usual poetic symmetry that I have come to truly love when it comes to Asian films, Assassination is a beautiful whirlwind of style, action and fast-paced story telling.

Enjoy!
I did.

Thelma (2017)
Director: Joachim Trier
Starring: Eili Harboe, Kaya Wilkins, Henrik Rafaelsen

Thelma is a dramatic thriller with hints of psychological horror that takes its time building suspense and transitioning from reality into a dark fantasy. The film often uses its visuals instead of dialogue to communicate, and places a heavy focus on the emotional weight of its scenes, and the mental state of the titular character.

The story, while dressed in supernatural elements, is really a struggle with self-acceptance. While Thelma is searching for her own identity, what she discovers runs contrary to her religious upbringing, which creates an inner conflict that begins to affect the world around her. The events that follow can be taken at face value, or seen purely for their symbolic interpretations.

Along with the hauntingly beautiful cinematography, Eili Harboe is the real star of Thelma. With a distinct lack of dialogue in many scenes, her performance really drives the entire film. It's a difficult task, but I think she accomplished it remarkably well. One thing I do feel the need to point out is that the film occasionally features strobe lights which could affect some viewers, so be very careful if you've had a negative reaction to them in the past.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thelma.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	43369  

For some reason, I absolutely love this "no spoilers" warning.
THANK YOU

Loved the Thelma review. Quite a few films I know nothing about in this HoF that have an intriguing feel and premise to them, and this is definitely one of them. And, as is usual after reading one of your insightful reviews, even more so.
VERY nicely done!

movies can be okay...
Millennium Actress (2001) by Satoshi Kon

STUNNING! That's the first thing that comes to my mind, when thinking about this beautiful piece of film. Visually, it's truly remarkable, due to all of the noticeable (not in a boastful way) effort and details that went into its making. This is Satoshi Kon after all, so of course I will yet again praise his excellent decisions in editing, and his splendid manner of integrating fitting music with a scene, aiding its atmosphere. One could say that the entire film is an extended chase sequence, and in a way it is. Every time our main character is running her animated butt off, I was either thinking of how perfectly the accompanying music fitted, or how great of a gif this would be, especially as an avatar.

While I do think, visually, "Millennium Actress" confidently trumps "Perfect Blue" (the only other Satoshi Kon film I've had the pleasure of seeing so far), story and substance wise though, this movie is a bit lacking. Regardless, it still has brilliant sources of comedy (the documentary makers) who are genuinely funny, along with enough heart warming moments for an 80 minutes long feature. I am 2 - 0 so far with this phenomenal director, and I can't wait to up the score with his other two films.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
Nicely done, @Okay. I'm pretty confident I'll be enjoying this film, having enjoyed this Director previously
What else have you seen by him?

movies can be okay...

Yuppp I knew that there would be a lot of these kind of gifs to find.

movies can be okay...

Thelma (2017)
Director: Joachim Trier
Starring: Eili Harboe, Kaya Wilkins, Henrik Rafaelsen
"Thelma" is another film I'm interested in seeing. From what you've said, I think I will at the very least respect it. It's also from the director of "Oslo, August 31st", which I heard great things about, so I'm excited to get to it.

Of the 17 nominated, I've only seen four so far so I have a bit of researching to do for the next few months.

The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg: I watched this due to La La Land's success as I suppose many people did. I liked it enough, but wouldn't rate it a classic. It's a sweet, effective love story with the French magic sprinkled in, but lacks at certain points. The ending though is spectacularly powerful.

La Haine: I watched this film in my media studies class at college and found it a fascinating if at times dragging affair. Vincent Cassel is absolutely superb in this film and an actor that will go down as a legend in French cinema.

Pan's Labyrinth: Hard not to love this film as it is GDT's masterwork in many ways. A simple yet tragic fairy tale with dark twisted elements attached. Lovely film and up there as one of the best in recent memory.

La Famille Belier: The reason I submitted this for nomination because it's the second film ever in my lifetime to make me cry. It's a sweet and endearing story about family, and the choices made about yourself or your roots. Louane Emera is wonderful in this and the last ten minutes are beautiful and heartwarming. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I dear, but it's okay if it's not for you. It's not to everyone's taste, but looking at the choices on this list, it's something a little different and more upbeat compared to everything else.

Can't wait to watch the rest. This will be fun.

Loved the Thelma review. Quite a few films I know nothing about in this HoF that have an intriguing feel and premise to them, and this is definitely one of them. And, as is usual after reading one of your insightful reviews, even more so.
VERY nicely done!
Thank you! Hopefully your expectations don't get set too high though haha.

"Thelma" is another film I'm interested in seeing. From what you've said, I think I will at the very least respect it. It's also from the director of "Oslo, August 31st", which I heard great things about, so I'm excited to get to it.
I didn't go too much into detail in my post since I'm waiting for some other people to see it first. I think it's one of those films that could be a little divisive, so I'm interested in seeing how other people feel about it.

I haven't seen Oslo, but I might check it out later if I get the chance.

La Famille Belier: The reason I submitted this for nomination because it's the second film ever in my lifetime to make me cry. It's a sweet and endearing story about family, and the choices made about yourself or your roots. Louane Emera is wonderful in this and the last ten minutes are beautiful and heartwarming. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I dear, but it's okay if it's not for you. It's not to everyone's taste, but looking at the choices on this list, it's something a little different and more upbeat compared to everything else.
What was the first?

What else have you seen by him?
Seen Perfect Blue a number of times, have seen numerous parts of both Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers and REALLY need the entirety of both.

Of the 17 nominated, I've only seen four so far so I have a bit of researching to do for the next few months.

The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg: I watched this due to La La Land's success as I suppose many people did. I liked it enough, but wouldn't rate it a classic. It's a sweet, effective love story with the French magic sprinkled in, but lacks at certain points. The ending though is spectacularly powerful.

La Haine: I watched this film in my media studies class at college and found it a fascinating if at times dragging affair. Vincent Cassel is absolutely superb in this film and an actor that will go down as a legend in French cinema.

Pan's Labyrinth: Hard not to love this film as it is GDT's masterwork in many ways. A simple yet tragic fairy tale with dark twisted elements attached. Lovely film and up there as one of the best in recent memory.

Can't wait to watch the rest. This will be fun.
Completely agree about Pan's Labyrinth and a huge fan of Vincent Cassel and so glad to finally have the opportunity to check out La Haine, Umbrellas should be quite lovely and, as I thought, Famille Belier will be endearing and now that I read a little snippet on why you chose it, it looks like it'll be a wonderful additive to this HoF.

Thank you! Hopefully your expectations don't get set too high though haha.
Yes, yes, the expectation is outrageously high and its ALL ON YOU, Cosmic!!

But seriously, Thelma should be an intriguing watch.
You guys have no idea how many times I've misspelt "millennium" since this started.

Maybe by the time this HoF is over, I'll get it right on the first try haha.
THANK the Technical Powers To Be for spell check!!
Hell, it saved my @ss just in this sentence ALONE

movies can be okay...
Seen Perfect Blue a number of times, have seen numerous parts of both Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers and REALLY need the entirety of both.
One thing I should of mentioned in my earlier post, is how ****ing well the director blends reality with fiction. It's all done so smoothly, and I bet this gift of his will still have a presence in "Paprika" and "Tokyo Godfathers"