ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

'Trance' (2013)

That's three 6 out of 10s in a row from me. It looked fantastic with some great cutaway shots and effects, but ultimately the plot is so choreographed and you can see the reveal coming a mile off. My love-hate relationship with Danny Boyle continues.

6/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I like how the film is animal-friendly. The dog survives!
Love this guy. He is genious
Not a genius, though.
Overall = disappointing
So is your note on this film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Unregistered User
I liked Chungking Express a little more than you did but I think I went in with too high expectations. Annihilation I haven't seen but really want to and Trance , I hated.

'You were never really here' (2018)

Lynne Ramsay does it again. It's a cerebral, mysterious journey into the psyche of a troubled man. There's obvious comparisons with a lot that has come before but it's interesting enough to be it's own thing. Joaquin Phoenix is terrific.

8/10

'Bad Day at Black Rock' (1955)

A mysterious stranger arrives at a tiny town determined to drag up the past. Very neat little noir / mystery / western. Loved seeing a young Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin as the muscle men.

6.5/10

'Operation Avalanche' (2016)

I really enjoy watching Matt Johnson's movies as they are packed with ideas, and his ambition is infectious. You can see he is an utter film nerd sort of living out his dream on screen. Operation Avalanche comes across as part passion project and part Stanley Kubrick homage. The tagline to the film is:

"In 1967, four undercover CIA agents were sent to NASA posing as a documentary film crew. What they discovered led to one of the biggest conspiracies in American history."

I enjoyed spotting all the old movie posters in the background of his office, and there is a brilliant car chase scene towards the end of the movie. It is silly in parts, and doesn't quite match up to Johnson's 'The Dirties' but it was enjoyable and I hope Johnson gets to make more of these types of movies.

7/10

movies can be okay...
I loved "Operation Avalanche", even more so than "The Dirties". What's so fascinating about it, is how the vast majority of the movie, is actual real life occurring. Matt was able to trick NASA, by having a similar cover to the one his character used in the film, in order to get into the organisation. So all of the showcased interviews he accomplished, are with genuine people, who didn't even know they were in a movie. I'm very impressed by his majestic ability, of constantly pushing the boundaries, of what you can show and get away with in films.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I loved "Operation Avalanche", even more so than "The Dirties". What's so fascinating about it, is how the vast majority of the movie, is actual real life occurring. Matt was able to trick NASA, by having a similar cover to the one his character used in the film, in order to get into the organisation. So all of the showcased interviews he accomplished, are with genuine people, who didn't even know they were in a movie. I'm very impressed by his majestic ability, of constantly pushing the boundaries, of what you can show and get away with in films.
Is that right? Ha, that's awesome. I like his style alot.

'Strangers on a Train' (1951)

What a great film. Right from the start, the dialogue just hooked me in with it's sinister undertones and mysterious characters. It continues to be a creepy, nightmarish but clever plot that unfolds as Hitchcock masterfully guides us through a messed up criminal mind.

The film is shot beautifully. Some of the panning and zooming in, together with well lit features and Dutch angles are pretty incredible considering this was 1951. Apparently Hitchcock had an entire amusement park built for the set design of the fairground scenes, just outside los angeles - and had a tennis professional coach Farley Grainger for the close up tennis scenes. The rest of the tennis scenes were actually shots of Davis Cup matches at Flushing Meadow, New York. What a perfectionist.

Everything about it screams 'classic'. Maybe even a masterpiece. The scenes with Bruno's mother are quite unsettling and an obvious precursor for 'Psycho'. If I had one criticism it would be that the ending for me wasn't sinister enough. I wanted it to take another dark turn, but that's probably down to my tastes, and I can't fault Hitchcock for a bit of audience pandering now and again.

At least 8.5 out of 10

Great film! Gets a
but still probably wouldn't be top 10 Hitch for me. I thought it was let down by the ending.
Yikes, not even top 10? What others would you recommend? I plan to watch:

North by Northwest
39 steps
Notorious
The Man Who knew too much
Rebecca

I've seen

Rope
The Birds
Vertigo
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Psycho

I have Strangers on a Train 9/24 so far, like it a lot. I'd add The Wrong Man and Shadow of a Doubt to those you mentioned. Also there's two The Man Who Knew Too Much films which one are you going to watch?

My ranking so far (some of them could do with a rewatch) - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...tchock-ranked/

I have Strangers on a Train 9/24 so far, like it a lot. I'd add The Wrong Man and Shadow of a Doubt to those you mentioned. Also there's two The Man Who Knew Too Much films which one are you going to watch?

My ranking so far (some of them could do with a rewatch) - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...tchock-ranked/
This is the one I've earmarked:

https://trakt.tv/movies/the-man-who-knew-too-much-1956

Added the others too thanks. Good list. I totally forgot about 'Dial M for Murder'

Unregistered User
Yikes, not even top 10? What others would you recommend? I plan to watch:

North by Northwest
39 steps
Notorious
The Man Who knew too much
Rebecca

I've seen

Rope
The Birds
Vertigo
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Psycho

I'd need to double check but think I've seen 26 so far and I could honestly recommend nearly every one of them. Rebecca is probably my favourite so definitely watch that one plus I think you'd really enjoy I. You also must watch Dial M for Murder and Shadow of a Doubt. Suspicion is another one that I love and think it doesn't get the recognition I deserve. The most recent first watch of a Hitch I saw was The Lodger, which is a great watch too just to see the start of what was to become.

You cant go wrong really.

I'd need to double check but think I've seen 26 so far and I could honestly recommend nearly every one of them. Rebecca is probably my favourite so definitely watch that one plus I think you'd really enjoy I. You also must watch Dial M for Murder and Shadow of a Doubt. Suspicion is another one that I love and think it doesn't get the recognition I deserve. The most recent first watch of a Hitch I saw was The Lodger, which is a great watch too just to see the start of what was to become.

You cant go wrong really.
Nice. Loads to catch up on.

Trance was a dud but still worth watching for Rosario Dawson OMG!

I liked Bad Day at Black Rock but was still a little disappointed.

Psyched for You've Never Really Been Here Before and still need to see Chunky Express.