15th Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
L'Avventura

I love the mystery that surrounds the disappearance of Anna and then the story that ensues. For some reason these characters seem rather interesting to me too, which seems like that has been everyone's downfall of the film but not me. I'd say Monica Vitti gives one of the better foreign films performances that I've seen. The way she commands the screen is sensational and you can feel that her character was rather devastated by Anna's disappearance.

The core of the film relies on astounding camerawork and excellent cinematography. It really is one of the most beautiful you striking films for me. The island scenes are among the most stunning for me, but the best is that last scene of the film when we see Sandro following Claudia up the hill. Or maybe the scene with Claudia's hair waving in the wind. I don't know. I just love directors that use the camerawork so well that it in itself captivates you and makes you want to go out and shoot your own films. And while I also liked the story, sometimes the technical portion is enough to turn it up another level.

So yes, it still remains a great film for me, which is good because the reviews were starting to worry me. Glad I nominated it.

+

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Station Agent

There’s really nothing particularly remarkable or exciting about this film, which in a way is what is good about it. It’s a quiet film, about people just living their lives. Not exactly ordinary, there’s definitely an element of quirkiness.

It took me a while to really grasp the tone. In some ways it seemed set up like a comedy, but it wasn’t exactly funny, and it wasn’t really a drama either. Dramatic things happened, but in more of a matter of fact way, rather than an over-dramatised one, which I liked.

Finn is the one hoping to get away from it all, but all the characters here are lonely in their own way and connection might just be good for them if they let it. I didn’t realise until afterwards that the tagline is, “loneliness is much better when you have someone to share it with” but that sums up the film quite well.

There’s a thread someone started recently on movieforums about things that aren’t seen much in films, and you know what, I don’t think there are all that many films about friendship. Maybe more in kids films, but not adult films. It’s definitely a less common theme than romance.

The film was well acted. I haven’t seen Peter Dinklage in much but he’s good in what I’ve seen in Game of Thrones and he’s good in this.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I really enjoy Dinklage's work. Seen a few comedy films with him and he does an excellent job in both: Penelope, Death at a Funeral (while he is in both the original and the remake I COMPLETELY prefer the original British version) and his voicing in Angry Birds

As I said earlier in the thread, I didn't even know who Peter Dinklater was. Now, in a week's time, I see him in The Station Agent and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. I like him a lot. He's got that great midget style, and he embraces everything that goes with it. The only thing is that it's the only way I see him. When he lit a cigarette in The Station Agent, I wondered if it was twice as bad for him as it is for me. When he went for a mile and a half walk, I wondered if that would be like me walking three miles. I wonder if going forward he could play somebody besides a midget somehow.

Glory

Still as effective as it was when it first came out, in regards to bringing you in emotionally to the story and to the characters themselves. The high point being the final fight and, especially, the night before with the song and testimony part. It always had, and very much still gets me. So that when the futile charge upon the fort occurs, I'm already choked up and thoroughly caught up within everyone involved.

That final moment reminds me of the ending to Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid as the shot is frozen of the two of them charging out, changing to a sepia tone as the three volleys of gunfire from numerous troops of soldiers ring out.
Still gets me.
As does this movie with so many really great scenes and the actors to pull them off.

I'm a big fan of period pieces and war movies as well and, as a kid, I was a big Civil War buff so this was and remains to be right up my alley.
And, while this is a Hollywood movie and therefore, lacking in historical accuracy, it still does an excellent job with touching on very significant aspects of what this regiment had to deal with at that time.
There are countless enjoyable scenes between the soldiers and moments of connection between Colonel Shaw and, what must of been an overwhelming responsibility for the lives and, in battle, the deaths of the soldiers under his command. Such as the commandeering of shoes to the ripping up of the paychecks.
The most potent of them all, of course, is the whipping scene. Denzel did an exemplary work locking eyes with his commander and doing his best to hold the pain in as a tear slips past.
A truly incredible scene, just in its self.

In these latest HoFs I've had the grand pleasure of seeing movies I have seen in ages and had loved and this another one of them.

The Elephant Man

Having finally seen Eraserhead for the 70s HoF I had found myself caught up in the technical aspects of this watch in regards to the surreal aspects as well as the intriguing use of composition and seeing the growth of the Director being allowed a larger budget and what he does with it, as with the characters and the inner workings of the story itself, while presenting a mirror on society and our own reactions. Which, is, perhaps why, Merrick is depicted more as a compassionate and understanding victim and it is everyone else that we see the flaws and callousness of those who interact with Merrick as well as those who attempt to be compassionate once seeing the compassion within Merrick himself.
Or to express that better, while the story is centered around Merrick, it appears that Lynch is telling a story about those people who meet and interact with Merrick even more so.

What I also gave more attention to, were the other actors throughout this. On previous watches, ages ago, I was completely consumed with John Hurt's portrayal and saw little else of anyone else.
This time around I was compelled and applauded many of the secondary characters and their own nuances, whether it was through kindness or cruelty. And thereby, seeing this film on a larger, more open field of what occurs and the ripples of that effect.

Also, having read a little of Joseph himself, I did witness some of the inaccuracies though I do applaud the way that they address how Merrick remains a "spectacle" whether he is in a carnival or under medical care. And I did find myself delving more deeply into that aspect. Which I had never done before.

So, not only was this an enjoyable revisit, but it was with a new sight and a deeper vision into the film in both its technical and emotional capacity.

BRAVO

The Elephant Man

Having finally seen Eraserhead for the 70s HoF I had found myself caught up in the technical aspects of this watch in regards to the surreal aspects...
I might have already said this, but...in the surrealistic montages in The Elephant Man there's a lot of similarities to what Lynch did with the montages in Dune. Some of the same sound effects too.

Or to express that better, while the story is centered around Merrick, it appears that Lynch is telling a story about those people who meet and interact with Merrick even more so.
I like what you said there, so true too.

I might have already said this, but...in the surrealistic montages in The Elephant Man there's a lot of similarities to what Lynch did with the montages in Dune. Some of the same sound effects too.
I had forgotten about those scenes in Dune. Very true. I guess Erasherhead was so prominent in my head I kept going back to it while watching this. lol
Though I did notice a repeat actor in both Dune and Elephant Man; Freddie Jones, who plays the carnival owner, Bytes and, in Dune, plays Thurif Hawat

Good catch, I hadn't noticed Freddie Jones was in both movies, it must have been those eye brows that threw me off, ha

Good catch, I hadn't noticed Freddie Jones was in both movies, it must have been those eye brows that threw me off, ha
They're HUGE aren't they!!

I had to look it up. I was watching Freddie Jones and recognized the name and KNEW I'd seen him in other films and had to pause and look him up, having seen a few others that I recognized and realized from WHERE.

They're HUGE aren't they!!

I had to look it up. I was watching Freddie Jones and recognized the name and KNEW I'd seen him in other films and had to pause and look him up, having seen a few others that I recognized and realized from WHERE.
Did you know that Brad Dourif was the other Mentat in Dune?

Did you know that Brad Dourif was the other Mentat in Dune?

one of my favorite Dourif roles; all those little hand gestures he used always made me smile. Though for drama, he was best as Doc in Deadwood

GOD I miss that show

With you two's talk of Dune which is one of the worst films i've ever seen yet really genuinely loved by some. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a "so bad it's good" Hall of Fame somewhere down the road? I know a lot take issue with that phrase and fair enough but surely most film fans have some films that they recognize are poorly made and yet there's something about the film that really appeals to them whether it's intended or not. I think if it was to happen there'd have to be say a 90 minutes or less rule as one mans endearing garbage is anothers insufferable garbage. Think it could be fun though.

Anyway, just an idea for way down the line when everyone elses celebrating films ideas run out.

I think if it was to happen there'd have to be say a 90 minutes or less rule as one mans endearing garbage is anothers insufferable garbage.
Which would render Showgirls ineligible.

Don't know if I'd want to participate, though I suppose many people's "masterpieces" are my insufferable garbage, so...

Showgirls is more entertaining than like 90% of my favourite films! It's also possibly the best film of the 90's visually.
I love statements like these because it reminds me how subjective film is despite cinephiles constantly trying to pretend it's not.