Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Noah (Darren Aronofsky, 2014)

Noah don't think I'll ever want to watch it again!

Valkyrie (Cruise) >> 7.5/10

Love this film.

Jon

Black Panther (2018) -

My problem with a lot of the MCU films is that there are no real surprises, and that everything plays out exactly as expected. Black Panther is no exception.

I was going to give the film a perfectly average score, but it didn't look quite right. There's nothing really wrong with the film, but I'm really tired of everything just being okay. I do like that Black Panther is relatively self-contained, though a passing knowledge of Captain America: Civil War is suggested. I would've liked to see more of the political commentary touched on in the film's second half, though I didn't expect Marvel to really explore it anyway.

The runtime is rather long at 2 hours and 20 minutes, but it never seemed to drag, except maybe during the big climactic battle at the end. The film didn't really have any impact for me, and I have a feeling that I'm going to struggle to remember the details in a few months time. However, I think that fans of Black Panther might get a lot more out of the film than I did, and it certainly provides a better role model for younger audiences than something like Blade does.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Back To The Future - 8/10

I saw this many times as a kid, but never as an adult, and I've been wanting to participate in a commentary for such along time. Parts II and III tomorrow.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I got the rec here from Cricket. I'm glad I saw it but wasnt terribly impressed except for the acting. More young kids doing stupid things. Reminds me of a court case I was involved with so a bit too much like work. Makes me happy I retired young!

Thanks Cricket. You havent given me a dud yet. That blond actress was great. Infact they all were. Looking forward to what they do in future.

Wow she's grown up a bit since then, hasnt she.

I do like the poster. Definitely my palette.

Just rewatched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, absolutely adored it, the best film I've seen in a very long tie, a masterpiece.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just rewatched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, absolutely adored it, the best film I've seen in a very long tie, a masterpiece.
I rented that once, but never had the time to watch it... How is the script and acting?

The acting might be among the best I've ever seen (and I watch a lot of films). It follows the life of a british and a german soldier from the early 1900's in the south african boer war to WW2.

The actor who plays the german soldier is absolutely fantastic, he also plays in The Red Shoes by the sae directors and is just as good. Anton Walbrook is his name, I've seen him in 2 films and I consider him among my favorite actors.

Deborah Kerr might be my favorite actress ever, she's great in everything she's in and this might be her best performance.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

If you can't beat the House, its apparent you've given up on life.

Most interesting man in the world
Honey I Blew Up the Kid 1992 8 / 10

"The Szalinski family is back, this time hilarious disaster strikes
when an experiment causes their new toddler son to grow many stories tall."

“You dirty rat...”
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 9/10

Night World (Hobart Henley, 1932)
+
The only film that made Boris Karloff Happy!

The Glass Castle (2017)

-

My wife picked this out. I knew it wouldn't be that good but that after I could play the you owe me angle. I'm not sure if this is based on the book, the events that inspired the book, if there's a difference, or if anyone cares. A successful young woman in her 20's looks back at her unorthodox childhood with her siblings. The father is like an alcoholic Captain Fantastic and the mother is spacey and neglectful and only seems to care about her paintings. They live like bums, moving from place to place, squatting, sleeping outside, etc. It was ok but my big issue is that instead of a dark and powerful tale, it comes off as the TV movie of the week. Woody Harrelson is just fine as daddy, while Naomi Watts and Brie Larson do nothing to destroy my mother/daughter fantasy.

Welcome to the human race...
As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses Of Beauty -

"Nothing happens in this film."

You don't say.

Harlan County U.S.A. (Barbara Kopple, 1976)

A documentary for adults about miners that is perfectly safe to watch

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses Of Beauty -
Knew something's wrong with your post. Fixed it for ya.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Was in the mood to NOT think yesterday:

It was entertaining but nothing special. I didn't like their take on The Flash and Aquaman was kind of blah but it didn't bore me so

Crime caper/comedy where the characters are more interesting than the story. It's similar to the Oceans franchise in that the actual robbery is completely unbelievable but everyone looks like they're having fun so just go with it.

Always saving the best for last just like the the Drive-In. The jist is this: a couple of women pretend to have car trouble on a remote desert highway to lure in truckers with the intent of hijacking their trucks. Believe it or not, it works like a charm. When the trucker stops the women hop in the cab and one drives while the other fools around with the trucker in the back of the cab. It's very much like Jimmy the Gents operation in Goodfellas in that you don't really mind getting hijacked - you get a little something-something out of it. Anyway, they get rid of the trucker, steal the truck, flip the loot at their truck stop/brothel (of course), eat some chicken fried steak and rinse and repeat. The scam is a well oiled machine until the local mafia wants to get in on the action. The rest of the movie is a war among and between families with car wrecks, seduction, double crossing, truck chases, mother-daughter issues and murder. Overall, it's a fun slice of cheese. Features an appearance from Len Lesser aka Uncle - Did You Hear What Your Cousin Jeffery Is Doing? - Leo.
On a curve