15th Hall of Fame

Tools    

@Citizen Rules, et al - sorry again. I'm in. My heavy work doesn't start until next wkdn so I have time to power thru all of these if I crunch. Huge thanks to Camo!
Got worried for a min. I went to 2 diff libraries in town and neither had but 2 titles off of this list. The other state libraries had even less.

Again, if anyone needs The Station Agent, I have a copy. Just PM me whenever and I'll pop it over to you by the weekend.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
@Citizen Rules, et al - sorry again. I'm in. My heavy work doesn't start until next wkdn so I have time to power thru all of these if I crunch. Huge thanks to Camo!
Got worried for a min. I went to 2 diff libraries in town and neither had but 2 titles off of this list. The other state libraries had even less.

Again, if anyone needs The Station Agent, I have a copy. Just PM me whenever and I'll pop it over to you by the weekend.
Glad you are still in Joel!

Glad you're in Joel.

If we get to the end of the Hof and you need a little more time, that will be fine, no worries.

Glad you're in Joel.

If we get to the end of the Hof and you need a little more time, that will be fine, no worries.
Thanks, man.

No, I should be good. There are less than usual, right?

I’ll have two done by 8pm. 3 if I count my own nom, though, I gotta watch TSA again!

Thanks, man.

No, I should be good. There are less than usual, right?

I’ll have two done by 8pm. 3 if I count my own nom, though, I gotta watch TSA again!
Yeah, this is a smaller Hof. There's only 11 movies.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Shallow Grave

If you can't trust your friends, what then? What then?

Possible SPOILERS

So, while this is already seen by quite a few, it is, sadly, not cared for by pretty much anyone who has seen it -- so, sorry for that. Such is the roll of dice we cast.

So, why did I pick this?

Well, along with a debut of director Boyle and actor Ewan McGregor who both would do Trainspotting, this was a preview into that dark, amusingly twisted story line that would be in TS and the kind I've always enjoyed watching.
When I stumbled across this a month or two ago it was like finding an old book or graphic novel from a box shoved in the back of the closet that you used to enjoy a lot and, with a rewatch I was pretty certain I wanted to nominate it when this HoF came around.

It kicks off with a montage of not so likely new flat mates for the three starring characters and how they dismiss them all.
But soon, the possible 4th flat mate is found and moves in. Only to die a day later.
While rifling through his things, they find a suitcase of money.

And so begins the spiraling premise of this movie. While we learn of the relationships of the original 3, we are introduced to their disposition to greed and what they, as individuals and as a group are willing to do. And then, what happens with that decision and following through with the consequences. Including the bad men that the money belongs to.

While the premise as well as the probable end game isn't all that new, it is delivered with a dark wit that I rather enjoy. The characters are displayed for us to know and we begin to root for our favorite as things get more and more severe. And as their relationship to one another frays and falls apart. Including a satisfying ending of what happens to them all.

So, while this is already seen by quite a few, it is, sadly, not cared for by pretty much anyone who has seen it -- so, sorry for that. Such is the roll of dice we cast.
It's probably my favourite Danny Boyle film, i like it better than Trainspotting. The only one i might prefer is 28 Days Later but i've not seen that in ages. The only reason it was very low on my would have voted for list is because there's a bunch of my favourites nominated.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
This past week and weekend, with the snow storm we had took a lot of my time with work, so I've been a little scarce.
Wanted to get one on the board before I start clearing out the Women Director (3 movies) and Best Picture (5 movies) much more with the occasional one here in between.

Lovin' all the reviews so far. And very happy to see Joel sticking around - frickin awesome

I didn't like 28 Days later the first time but then loved it when Thursday nominated it for a specialty HoF. I'm hoping it happens with Shallow Grave too. Plus I watched it with my wife and they ruin shlt.

Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper, 1980)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/14/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 15th Hall of Fame, nominated by @cricket
Rewatch: No.

If I hadn’t already known who nominated this film before watching it, I would’ve figured it out very quickly. With its gritty feel and seedy characters, Out of the Blue screams “I am a Cricket nomination!” And sometimes I can get behind that grittiness, but this wasn’t one of those times.

Which is not to say that I hated it. I thought the performances were solid all around, and I really enjoyed the film’s soundtrack, but there wasn’t a single character I could get behind – either as someone I actually liked or as someone I really liked to hate. I tried very hard to care about Cebe – knowing that she was only a child and a product of her environment and of her careless parents – but she grated on my nerves and I failed to overcome my apathy.

The look of the film was also quite dark and very rough (though I’m not entirely sure if that was the intention of its creators, a result of a low budget, or just the fault of age and a crappy DVD transfer). At some points this roughness added to the feel of the film and at other points just made it hard to figure out what was going on because it was difficult to see.

Ultimately, I think the film has its merits but I didn’t like it very much.

+

It's probably my favourite Danny Boyle film, i like it better than Trainspotting.
I liked it more than Trainspotting as well, but I've only seen Trainspotting in its entirety once. I've been meaning to rewatch it and check out the sequel, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

American Graffiti

I saw this a few times as a kid and remembered loving it. I watched it again for the 70's countdown and my opinion went down slightly. That's where I am after watching it again. I don't mean to start out sounding negative because I still quite like it and don't have any issues with it. The music is great, the cars awesome, and the cast likable. The whole aura of the movie gives me a great feeling. Highlights for me include the tiny roles by Suzanne Somers, Harrison Ford, and Wolfman Jack. I have fond memories of listening to the Wolfman as a kid. It's a movie all about nostalgia. The reason I don't love it is because it's not my nostalgia. If it were set in the 80's, this would probably be a big favorite of mine. Besides that, I don't think there's anything especially memorable about the film besides the overall good feeling it gives off. Just as an aside, does it seem to anyone else that Richard Dreyfus looks like he aged about 15 years in the couple years between this and Jaws?

Hedwig and the Angry Inch...was there a directors cut of this film because it felt like giant plot points were missing. Also the music seemed to get worse not better as the story went on. And the humor was all of the place...in the sense that it seemed to come and go.

I can see why people enjoyed this movie, it is after all audacious and musicals are fun. But you know the characters didn't really work for me, I couldn't keep track of their story arcs the humor only worked in drips and drabs for me. In the end the movie just wasn't for me.

Damn. 0 for 2. Oh well. Raul hating Hedwig was a given and I knew other people weren't going to like it either. Fingers crossed for a positive review from the next person who watches it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think Miss Vicky could reach a new level of hate with my nomination, because it is for sure the biggest hit or miss nomination in the field.

Glory (1989)
Dir. Edward Zwick
Starring: Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman

Glory is a beautifully shot film that tells a compelling story while maintaining an authentic atmosphere throughout. Leave it to me to somehow forget about a film that has so many talented and recognizable actors in it. I'll blame a general disinterest in American history and period dramas for that one, since it wasn't any fault of the film, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what turned out to be a second viewing.

While I thought that all of the main and supporting cast gave outstanding performances, one major exception was Matthew Broderick. His youthful face and visible lack of confidence should've worked well in the role of a privileged young man who finds himself in over his head during the war, and while it was fine during the opening acts, his performance never seemed to change throughout the rest of the film. Because of that, Shaw didn't appear to grow or have much presence or authority at all, even when the situation called for it. Obviously I don't know what the real Robert Shaw was like, so perhaps Broderick was actually staying true to character. Or maybe I'll just forever see him has Ferris Bueller and thus never be able to take him seriously in anything else. Regardless, my dislike for Broderick's performance didn't really impact the film as a whole, since the rest of Glory is thoroughly engaging, and this wasn't a story solely about him anyway.

My only other complaint is the sound mixing, since I frequently had to adjust the volume between scenes, and not just by a couple of notches like with most films, but having to cut the volume in half, or go twice as high on the dial. Perhaps it sounded different in theatres, but I was legitimately confused when I saw that it won the Academy Award for Best Sound. It obviously wasn't a deal-breaker, just an annoyance I always feel the need to express as a person with sensitive ears. I do have that problem with a lot of films though, so it's probably just me, and others likely won't have any issues with it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch this film again, and I doubt I'll forget about it so easily in the future.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glory.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	41766  

I think Miss Vicky could reach a new level of hate with my nomination, because it is for sure the biggest hit or miss nomination in the field.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that one.

I'll be picking it up from the library tomorrow, along with Aguirre, American Graffiti, The Elephant Man, In the Mood for Love, Rebecca and The Station Agent, so maybe I'll get it out of the way next.

Might rewatch Hedwig tonight.

I didn't realize Glory won an Oscar for sound. It's funny that 3 of us have thought well of the movie yet all 3 have complained about that aspect.