15th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Im going to hit camo up tomorrow. Thanks camo . I dont wanna be a big baby about this so let me see how much i can get done by weekend. Picked up 3 accts for vid work plus full time job sched so just frustrated at todays library visit with only 2 titles. If im out ill let ya know by sunday latest. Sorry, and thanks!

So everyone...

for right now I'd suggest holding off on watching Joel's nom The Station Agent (which looked very cool BTW and I'm interested in watching it!) until he's sure he can stay in.

EDIT: Update, Joel is still in the Hof, so The Station Agent is no longer on hold.

I'll watch The Station Agent either way. I've already put a hold on it at the library and it was the one I was looking forward to most since I really like Peter Dinklage.
You mentioned films by Brad Dourif in the Best Pic Hof the other day. I watched a good one of his, Wise Blood (1979)

It's probably one of the very few films that he has a starring role in and it's directed by John Houston too. I thought it was quite different, it feels like a cult classic and it's very satirical and it's anti-religion. So if you're religious you probably would be offend. As it does aim to offend, no one is likable in it, but they are sure odd and colorful. I think you might like it.

I've never seen the show but I've seen him somewhere; he's the midget.
Technical not a midget, as that's a different genetic condition. He's a dwarf, though most call themselves 'little people', but he probably just calls himself Pete

You mentioned films by Brad Dourif in the Best Pic Hof the other day. I watched a good one of his, Wise Blood (1979)
I'll have to see if the library has it or if I can get it somewhere else. I'd like to see more of him.

It's very satirical and it's anti-religion. So if you're religious you probably would be offend. As it does aim to offend, no one is likable in it, but they are sure odd and colorful. I think you might like it.
I'm an atheist and not very easily offended so it sounds like it might be up my alley.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
hopefully @Joel can stick around, but VERY COOL to speak up early. And yeah, pretty curious about Station either way.

and Peter Dinklage has been in quite a few flicks, but I always remember him from Death at a Funeral (the British original is the superior though he's in the remake as well), Penelope and he voices Mighty Eagle in Angry Birds

Glory (Edward Zick, 1989)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/13/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 15th Hall of Fame, Nominated by @SilentVamp
Rewatch: Yes

With its top-notch performances and moving story, Glory is a film I've long admired. But every time I watch it, I'm reminded of why each viewing has been so far apart: the carnage. The battle scenes are incredibly intense and it's a really tough watch, but a rewarding one as well.

The characters are what really make this movie and each of the major players is perfectly cast. Matthew Broderick, an actor I'm usually indifferent to, is wonderful as the idealistic and inexperienced young colonel who goes from being unsure of himself to being a leader to be admired. Morgan Freeman is, well... Morgan Freeman, and turns in a solid performance playing an older man who is respected by the others. Carey Elwes is very good as the second in command who struggles to balance his loyalties to his friends and his responsibilities as an officer. And then there's Denzel Washington in his well-deserved Oscar winning role, playing an escaped slave who - understandably - views the people around him with contempt but slowly learns to respect the other men.

On the more technical side of things, the film is beautifully shot and if it weren't for my long-standing familiarity with the film and with some of its actors, I might be surprised to find that it's almost 30 years old. But the movie is far from perfect. One major gripe I have with the film is the score. The music is rousing and effective, but it's also often overbearing and I really wish it would've been toned down.

The other big complaint I have is with the movie's perspective. While there's no denying that Colonel Shaw was an important figure in the 54th Regiment, this isn't a story that should've been told through the eyes of a white man. But such as it is, Glory is still a very moving film and my admiration for it remains intact.

+

I prefer not to watch movies online unless it's from a trusted site so I picked up a DVD copy of Out of the Blue on eBay for a buck. It should be delivered today and I'll watch it tonight. If any American participants would like me to pass it along to them afterwards, just let me know.

Let the night air cool you off
I prefer not to watch movies online unless it's from a trusted site so I picked up a DVD copy of Out of the Blue on eBay for a buck. It should be delivered today and I'll watch it tonight. If any American participants would like me to pass it along to them afterwards, just let me know.
I don't need it, but I want to applaud you for this. It's an awesome thing to do.

I just finished watching Glory. I'm not sure if I'll get anything written tonight though, since I have to head off soon. As it turns out, I have actually seen this film before, I had just forgotten about it. I spend the entire film going "oh wait, I've seen this part. And this. I've seen this before. Oh yeah, I remember this".

If this keeps happening to me, I should probably get my memory checked.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I just finished watching Glory. I'm not sure if I'll get anything written tonight though, since I have to head off soon. As it turns out, I have actually seen this film before, I had just forgotten about it. I spend the entire film going "oh wait, I've seen this part. And this. I've seen this before. Oh yeah, I remember this".

If this keeps happening to me, I should probably get my memory checked.
Perfectly normal once you reach a certain age unfortunately