Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

500 Days of Summer

Second viewing (first was like 8 years ago, it needed a fresh viewing). Great movie! Really underrated, in fact. Like that it's not your typical romance.

8.5/10

The Sixth Sense - 7.5/10

This is turning into my favorite Bruce Willis film. Almost every scene encourages the audience's cognitive interaction. It's both entertaining and intelligent for a Willis flick.

This might just do nobody any good.
Phantom Thread

Aronofsky’s mother! is Salieri, PTA’s Phantom Thread is Mozart.

I watched Pulgasari tonight (for bad movie night).

I will give it two and a half stars out of five (it was wonderfully bad in a good way, but at least the end of the movie didn't cop out). It was fun.

Project X (2012) - Nima Nourizadeh

- I wish I was there. It's my 3rd rewatch of this movie and it still one of my favorite guilty pleasure and in my opinion the best ''party'' movie ever made. The movie is nothing too special it is plain and simply entertaining as hell and the storyline is a lot of fun. High rewatch value.
-

Most interesting man in the world
The Land That Time Forgot 1974 7 / 10 * fun movie

"During World War I, a German U-boat sinks a British ship and takes
the survivors on board. After it takes a wrong turn, the submarine takes
them to the unknown land of Caprona, where they find dinosaurs and neanderthals."

Hoosier Schoolboy (William Nigh, 1937)
+
Subtlety is not it's strong point, cheaper than having Botox though if you want your brow beaten

The Healer aka Little Pal (Reginald Barker, 1935)

An easy enough watch but doubtful you'd nurse any desire to see it again real soon

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
500 Days of Summer

Second viewing (first was like 8 years ago, it needed a fresh viewing). Great movie! Really underrated, in fact. Like that it's not your typical romance.

8.5/10
I can agree with You at last I like this very much. Much thanks to Gordon-Levitt

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Blade Runner: 2049

(Denis Villeneuve)

2049 loves to take long slow pauses here and there for people to orgasm over the gorgeous palette of colours that cinematographer Roger Deakens has ejaculated onto the screen. A man who has been nominated for Best Cinematography a dozen times and losing each time. is playing in the realm of science fiction here. This gives him a bit more creative freedom with colours, such as the neon glows of a rainy city or the rusty dust of a toxic wasteland. Who better to help him with those images than Villeneuve, a director on a hot streak. Villeneuve's love of slow burner pacing is put to effect here, building the mystery at the film's core and helping the viewer engulf themselves in the visuals to transport them to this world they've created.

K is a Blade Runner, tracking down out-dated Replicants that can outlive their programmed life as well as ones that have gone rogue. While on a mission, he discovers some bones in a chest buried under a tree. This person was a Replicant, this person also gave birth to a child. This news will shatter the world giving hope to a Replicant uprising and cause a war. K must track down the Replicant child and destroy any evidence. Things get difficult when K's own memories interfere with the mission.

Here is another sci/fi sequel decades after the release of the first films that stars an older, crankier Harrison Ford. This time around, he's given a bit more of an emotional arc for his character and despite his limited screen time, delivers a good performance. Alongside Ford is Gosling, he's the Blade Runner this time around. He's able to carry the weight of the film, displaying emotions on his face when he desperately tries to hide it. A key element in his character flaws that make him seem more human despite the reality. The stand out performance in the film belongs to Ana de Armas. She plays Joi, an A.I. that desperately seeks any chance to feel more human, more so than any replicant does. There is one trippy sequence in which she (now try to follow me here) mimics the moves of another person, while integrated with them, so that Gosling can have a physical sexual experience with a person that looks like Joi. What we get is a weird threesome with two people.

Sequences like the one above would end up on the cutting room floor of another director wanting to make the film more action packed and leaner. While I appreciate the artistic choices of Villeneuve, I can also see the other side of the equation. Blade Runner: 2049 is too long. At 2 hours and 45 minutes, there are plenty scenes that could be trimmed down or cut out to make the film move along at a quicker pace. Trimming down Robin Wright's scenes is a good place to start as her performance was stiff and unconvincing. Jared Leto waxing poetic might be another. The action sequence we do get are surprisingly boring. Villeneuve can build tension, dread and suspense, but he needs to learn how to shoot a fight sequence, or better yet, stage an action scene. 2049 fumbles the ball a bit in these moments.

Who knows if I'll ever watch this movie again, the world presented to me was gorgeous and I would love to visit it again, but the running time is a turnoff and the lack of mystery on a second viewing doesn't help much either. 2049 is one of, if not the best looking film of 2017 and I hope to see some people rewarded for that.

Suspect's Reviews

2049 loves to take long slow pauses here and there for people to orgasm over the gorgeous palette of colours that cinematographer Roger Deakens has ejaculated onto the screen. .
I can't get past the first sentence at the moment.

“I was cured, all right!”
Rolling Thunder (1977)

+

Spoilers William Devane plays a former POW who finally comes home after 7 years. He needs to catch up with his son who was just a baby when he left, and his wife didn't know he'd be back and moved on to another man. He needs to pick up the pieces and adjust back to civilian life. That would be hard enough then bam, armed robbers enter the home. They want his money but he ain't talking. They put his hand down the garbage disposal, but then the wife and son walk in and they get their loot. Not satisfied they plug the broad and the kid, and leave our hero for dead. They should have made sure to finish him off! He recovers from the shooting and now has a cool hook where his hand was. It's time for sweet bloody revenge and he ends up getting help from one of his military buddies played by Tommy Lee Jones before his face looked like it got stabbed 1000 times with an icepick. It's a must see for fans of revenge flicks and features a great finale in a Mexican whorehouse. Excellent recommendation from Captain Spaulding.

I agree with every word.
Watched this last week, I rated 3,5 too. Good film.

The Vault

Weak script, and some bad acting gimps this flick. Which is a shame because I can see something good in there somewhere. Additionally, I am unsure if it is the fault of the screenwriter(s) and actor(s), or poor direction or editing. I am guessing that it is burdened by all of these problems, but I wager that I will ever know or care enough to dig for answers.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was engaging enough (credit to James Franco) to sit through, but a few wrong turns left much to be desired.

Detroit (2017)

I was looking forward to this as I am a fan of director Kathryn Bigelow. I've seen all of her movies and have thought well of every single one. At 143 minutes my only cause for concern was that this movie could drag, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. For the first half hour, it seemed that it would be a sort of compilation movie featuring all different acts committed during the 1967 Detroit riots. There is a scene in the middle of the movie that is literally about an hour long, and it's that intense scene and it's fallout that turns out to be the focus. What's great about this movie is that not only is it relevant, but it feels so alive and pops off the screen. I give Bigelow a lot of credit for tackling this material. My only beef, and it has nothing to do with the movie itself, is the two previews on the DVD. Obviously, because Detroit has a largely black cast, they showed previews of two movies with largely black casts. The ultimate goal is to one day not notice skin color, so how about not lumping these things together WTF.

Train to Busan

Incredibly solid and well-told horror story with a message.

I struggle to not rate this movie higher, however, there are some unintentionally funny moments (to me anyway) and is rather overly message-driven.

These are odd things to criticize for me because both actually make the movie more watchable to a degree.

Regardless, Train to Busan is a refreshingly good time. Highly recommended for horror fans.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Train to Busan

I struggle to not rate this movie higher, however, there are some unintentionally funny moments (to me anyway) and is rather overly message-driven.
I find that is always the case with Asian films.