Movie Tab II

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I'm a bit confused at this thread. What's the difference between this and the "rate the movie you last watched"?
Quality.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

One of my favourite parts was Joe Roberts hitting dozens of guards with the mallet when they were running through the door to stop him . Have you got a favourite Keaton short? Mines is One Week so far, going to watch the rest of his 20's ones at least over the next week or so, also interested in the ones he starred in with Fatty Arbuckle.
My fave - The Goat:

My fave - The Goat:
Cool, Started watching them chronologically and that's actually next for me. Watched Hard Luck and The High Sign today, would have those two bottom of the eight i've watched so far but they were still very enjoyable. The last five minutes of the latter with the booby-trapped house was brilliant.

Three Daughters (Satyajit Ray, 1961) -

Ray does an anthology of three considerably different short stories. "The Postmaster" might be the best installment as it sees him once again focus on the culture clash between an uptight city-dweller and a rural village, "Monihara" is a passable attempt at a ghost story that ends up being the weakest installment, and "Samapti" is an adequate piece of relationship drama.

Wheelman (Jeremy Rush, 2017) -

A novel enough B-movie about a getaway driver that takes place entirely within the getaway car (effectively playing out like a more action-oriented version of Locke in the process) but is maybe a little too rough around the edges to be truly good.

Road to Perdition (Sam Mendes, 2002) -

A straightforward but immensely well-crafted gangster drama (especially that cinematography, I mean damn). Also, given the Craig/Mendes connection I'm pretty sure that Spectre owes more to this film than it really should.

Cold Mountain (Anthony Minghella, 2003) -

A decent-looking but incredibly dreary Civil War drama.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, 2015) -

Original review found here.

Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016) -

Not as much of a straightforward horror movie as I was expecting, but still has more than enough disturbing moments to qualify with its bluntly allegorical yet uneasy-to-watch tale of college-age cannibalism.

American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000) -

This dark little satire of chauvinistic yuppies definitely holds up a lot better than I thought. It's not often that you see a movie where every scene somehow manages to feel iconic regardless of whether or not they actually are.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, 2016) -

While I liked this a bit more than I did originally, it's still such a mixed bag of a movie. There's a lot to be said for its visuals (mostly good as far as action and production design goes, but those uncanny CGI characters still leave a lot to be desired), but the plot and characterisation tend to be rather so-so, which is a real shame.

The Bad Batch (Ana Lily Amirpour, 2016) -

This kind of aggressively weird arthouse curiosity - a post-apocalyptic revenge drama that dabbles quite heavily in surrealism - really could go either way with me, so I'm a little disappointed that it ultimately goes the way that it does.

Lucky (John Carroll Lynch, 2017) -

As much as I would like to say that I loved this unintentional swansong for the late great Harry Dean Stanton, I ultimately have to admit that it is merely an adequate slice-of-life film that still has a considerable amount of charm to it.

Love Exposure (Shion Sono, 2008)
+ Art House Rating

Wildly-entertaining four-hour epic from Sono (The Suicide Club, Noriko's Dinner Table) which I find the best of his films which I've seen. It's hard to believe that a film can cram so many different ideas and themes even at four hours, but the pace is frenetic enough that it's done easily and mostly completes the various story arcs successfully. What the movie tackles are subjects involving Christianity, true love, the concepts of sin and perversion, revenge, cult programming and deprogrmming, stalking, terrorism and even a skewed Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedy involving mistaken identity, but here adding the dimension of cross-dressing. Throw in some martial arts, lots of Ravel's Bolero, Beethoven's 7th Symphony and some excellent modern rock songs, and the four hours fly by. I don't want to get into too many plot details because there are several twists and turns, but sometimes the film repeats scenes from different perspectives, so one could be reminded of Pulp Fiction, and there were a few moments I flashed back to Fight Club near the end, but for the most part, this is a highly original comedy-drama which perhaps is a little too outrageous to be taken completely seriously, but is honest enough to still create a considerable amount of power.

Shame (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)
Art House Rating

This is one Bergman's best films of the 1960s. It allows him to make statements about war in general and Vietnam in particular. Here there appears to be a civil war going on involving two political factions, but since it's seen from the perspective of a married couple who live on a remote island and don't understand why the war is actually occurring, the reasons for the war are never actually explained. The couple is having some marital problems, apparently because the husband (Max von Sydow) committed some infidelities and the wife (Liv Ullmann) wants to have some children, but the war complicates everything, especially as the film progresses. At first, the war is only "heard" over a radio which periodically seems to break or from a few neighbors who seem friendly enough. Eventually, one of the sides bombs the island and later sends over troops who kill most of the villagers who live near the couple. However, this doesn't actually bode well for the two because eventually they're considered enemy sympathizers by their previous "friends". Bergman does a good job of conveying the horrors of war with a small budget, and his film is very visceral with more traditional storytelling and less surrealism than usual, but there are still plenty of nightmarish images, some dreams to interpret and an almost Kafkaesque feeling of utter helplessness, especially during the finale, which firmly allows Shame to fit comfortably into Bergman's oeurve.

Valley of the Bees (Franticek Vlacil, 1968)
Art House Rating

This Czech film, set during the 13th century, follows a young man's journey to try to find his destiny amidst a world divided by what the characters consider pagans and extreme Christians. After a brutal introductory scene best left as a surprise, the young man becomes a Teutonic knight, dedicated to chastity, fighting crusades and righting wrongs in the name of Christ. He's mentored by a slightly older young man, but eventually the protagonist begins to see that violence is everywhere, especially in his religious order of knights, so he leaves to return to his family home and start a new life. Much of this widescreen B&W film is sumptious and authentic-looking, and sometimes it seems to be a cross between Bergman's The Seventh Seal and Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky, but director Vlacil has no intention of recreating an operatic or allegorical movie. He has a good eye but I had a few problems with his storytelling style which seems to involve having a few key scenes occur offscreen and thus I was not always able to understand all the character's motivations. I do believe the most-powerful scenes occur near the end of the movie where the director's intentions clarify, and I'm willing to rewatch this to see if I get it better next time. My brother owns this and another film from this director, so I should easily have a chance to watch them.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Love Exposure (Shion Sono, 2008)
One of the very few films that mix sacrum and profanum so well. Love - erection, religion - panties, Jesus - Kurt Cobain etc. One of the best movies of the 2010s!

Shame is a
masterpiece. What a Shame you did not rate it even higher!

Valley of the Bees is a great Medieval flick, too!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I have decided shame will be my first Bergman. Putting it on hold soon

Neighbors is my fav short just for the fence swatter bit. The Goat's probably 2nd for me.

Neighbours was great (they all are), the whole on each other shoulders bit is defiintely the part i've wondered how he did it the most. Well other than several parts in Sherlock Jr., like the rides his bike across two trucks? Was that just a background trick? Who knows it looked amazing either way.

American Honey (Andrea Arnold, 2016) -

I like the core concept of a gang of youths traveling across America trying to sell magazine subscriptions and getting into tragicomic misadventures in the process, but the execution itself is rather hit-and-miss and I definitely question whether the film really needed to be that long.

Detroit (Kathryn Bigelow, 2017) -

As far as "important" movies go, this one's actually pretty solid.

The Matrix (Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski, 1999) -

I do wonder if this is one of those movies where I can't really be objective about it - I'll obviously recognise its flaws (still hesitant about bringing it back to the full five) but I don't think it'll ever truly go out of consideration when it comes to drafting a top 100.

Murder on the Orient Express (Kenneth Branagh, 2017) -

Having watched Lumet's 1974 adaptation not too long ago, viewing this ultimately ended up being a bit of a formality. It's still a decent story at its core that Branagh updates for better (deconstructing the original text's problematic elements) and for worse (a handful of action beats straight out of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes), though it is ultimately an inessential piece of work.

The Room (Tommy Wiseau, 2003) -

Still hard to determine exactly how to categorise my thoughts and feelings about this film within the context of a ten-point rating system, but I'll settle with my current rating because I do still have fun with it and can't bring myself to hate it (nor give it a higher rating...at least not yet). Also, on this viewing I have come to the conclusion that Claudette is the real MVP here.

The Matrix Reloaded (Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski, 2003) -

After rewatching the original, I figured that I should try giving the sequels another chance. While I'll definitely admit that they are flawed, I have to admit that I still get at least a little fun out of them even now.

Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991) -

Original review found here.

The Disaster Artist (James Franco, 2017) -

Working on a full review, but let's just say that the sheer amount of comedy that this film manages to provide ends up being both a plus and a minus.

The Matrix Revolutions (Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski, 2003) -

Still undecided as to whether or not I prefer this to Reloaded - in some ways it's better and in some ways it isn't.

Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary (John Scheinfeld, 2016) -

A pretty nuts-and-bolts documentary about jazz legend John Coltrane as told by family, friends, collaborators, biographers, and even a superfan or two. Coltrane's as good a subject for a movie as any, but the movie itself is just alright.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sorry, my mistake. You're English is amazing and better than most I know who are native speakers. How did you learn so well?
A better question would be what kind of illiterate people you know. :P

The Room (Tommy Wiseau, 2003) -

I'll settle with my current rating because I do still have fun with it and can't bring myself to hate it (nor give it a higher rating...at least not yet).
So you rate your films based on enjoyment instead of on a technical level? Same here.