Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

disagree but whatevs
With which part and why?

I can appreciate that sentiment, I like something about all of his that I've seen but there's often also one element or more that I can take or leave.
Same here except it has been more than take or leave for me. I don't remember Ichi The Killer that well, actually watched it in a friends house and we were talking during it until whenever he said i have to watch this scene so that probably doesn't count as having watched it. And i thought the first hour of Audition was unbelievably terrible, way too bad to justify the good last 30-40 minutes.

Just my opinion obviously i know there's some big Miike fans here, he's just not really for me so far at least.

Not much cycling in this! Pfft.

That good huh> I've been putting it off because of franco. Does cranston make up for him>
I like Franco and didn't mind him in the film, if you are a fan of Cranston then it might still be worth the look. It's not awful, just nothing memorable and I didn't laugh much during it.

Same here except it has been more than take or leave for me. I don't remember Ichi The Killer that well, actually watched it in a friends house and we were talking during it until whenever he said i have to watch this scene so that probably doesn't count as having watched it. And i thought the first hour of Audition was unbelievably terrible, way too bad to justify the good last 30-40 minutes.
Ichi is a bit of a mess in places but also hugely crazy fun at times too, I actually don't mind the slow-build to Audition as much as you but do think it could have been pared back somewhat and still had the same impact. Have you seen the anthology Three Extremes yet? I'd actually rate his contribution to that (Box) highest of his output that I've seen.

Have you seen the anthology Three Extremes yet? I'd actually rate his contribution to that (Box) highest of his output that I've seen.
Nope just Ichi, Audition and 13 Assassins. Will keep that in mind thanks. An Anthology sounds perfect because to me at least it seems that he's made parts of good films sandwiched together with parts of terrible films.

The Straight Story (David Lynch, 1999)

Best John Deere ad ever!

Terrific movie. Seen it twice. Such a cute old guy.

The truth is in here
Show People

Colonel Pepper (who is never seen again after the first 20 or so minutes) takes his daughter Peggy to Hollywood, hoping to fullfill her dreams of becoming a big star. She gets there and gets accquinted with the kind of people working there, but seems to have stumbled into the comedy stage, when what she wants to perform in are dramas. She eventually gets an offer, and is naturally eager to start acting in more serious work. But now she's in love, and has to leave her old life behind...

What a wonderful film. I expected some enjoyment out of it, but I didn't know it would be this great. The acting is fantastic from every turn, especially with Marion Davies, whose physical presence is nothing short of brilliant. Almost all of the laughs comes from her, when it came to the visual comedy. William Haines was very sympathetic as the happy-go-lucky Billy, where the only thing he loves more than clowning around is being around Peggy. When he's heartbroken once he visits her and finds out she's not the same she once was, you feel with him. A lot of credit has to go the script. It's scarily accurate in how people act once they get famous, but most of all it's hilarious in a way only silent movies can be. One of my favorite parts is when the director of a comedy crazily starts gesticulating at a screening, until he finally can't hold it back anymore and reveals to his fellow audience member that he made this movie.

The music is very striking, visually it looks really good, and there's an amusing surprise cameo in the first act. I'm not gonna spoil it, since it's all the more joyful once you see it for yourself.

I don't watch a lot of silent movies, but I decided to watch this one and don't regret it the slightest bit. Thumbs up!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What a gorgeous still. You need to come into the female beauty thread because some of us have been posting beauties from the golden years of hollywood, matti.

If you haven't seen "Harry and Tonto" or "Umberto D" you should!
Cried myself blind when Umberto lost his little dog. Terrific movie.

With which part and why?
I just think the parts before the fight are truly great. the film imbues itself a strong sense of passion and fury and in my opinion dosent overdevelop the evilness of the antagonist. For example although lots of dialogue is focused on him the film keeps the amount of scenes with him in them quite limited. not to mention I just really enjoy the dialogue and the way it was written which is probably key for the divide between our opinions.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
a Billy Wilder movie I have seriously needed to see from the 50s Countdown List. Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich top the excellent cast.
And NOW I know the movie that Mel Brooks spoofs in Blazing Saddles near the end with Madeline Kahn is singing with a group of soldiers.
Anyways, a great movie that would've scored high on my list.

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) Caddyshack
+ "You're a lot of woman, you know that? How'd you like to make fourteen dollars the HARD WAY?"

(MULTIPLE REWATCHES) Lawless
++ A great lil bootlegger film that I just adore watching. Always a great pleasure everytime, all the time!

Thief of Hearts (1984) - First time watching this movie, I wasn't expecting an oscar caliber film, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Steven Bauer (Scarface) played a cat burglar who breaks into a rich couple's house and steals the wife's diaries, (Barbara Williams) and he reads about her thoughts and fantasies and uses that knowledge to seduce her. She happens to be in a marriage where she doesn't get enough attention from her husband (John Getz). I found that interesting and the build up to their affair kept my interest in the film. I love 80s music and Harold Faltermeyer's score is very upbeat 80s. I give this 6/10. I know Bauer from Scarface of course and Getz from The Fly, I've never seen Barbara Williams but she did good here. I think it could have been better especially towards the end, but it's a sexy thriller in my opinion.

Down to Earth - Casa de lava (Pedro Costa, 1994)
- With this I just started digging into Pedro Costa's filmography and this was a very worthy first attempt, that I appreciate for its distinct approach to costumbrism, with cryptic dialogues and a focus on folklore and popular imaginary. Very enjoyable.

Once upon a time there was a singing blackbird - Iko skashvi mgalobeli (Otar Iosseliani, 1970)
- The title is way more sophisticated than the movie itself, which is a rather simple story of a young man who always gets late and flirts a lot and... yeah, that's it. A little movie that doesn't seem interested on pushing further and that as such makes a nice yet absolutely forgettable experience.

In Vanda's room - No quarto da Vanda (Pedro Costa, 2001)
- 170 minutes of observing bits of routine in a marginal environment, of people talking about their crushed expectations in life, their childhood, their acceptance of suffering or their future plans while they dope up in whatever ways they can. While uneventful and in many instances boring, I can't help but like and be glad I watched this film. If I had to describe it in some way, it would be as a long distance run to reach a goal that is worth the whole effort, and makes up for the harshness of the journey because the message and overall feeling I get from the experience is great. In that sense, it is more rewarding than enjoyable. But it delivers well at this, and is more permeating and significant in retrospect.

The truth is in here
One Hour Photo

One hour photo; referring to the time it usually takes for the photo developer Sy Parrish to get his customers' pictures printed.
Nowadays in the digital age, people rarely need to go to a photo developer. They still exist of course, but are not as popular as they used to be. Even at this time however, digital was starting to take its place. Bad news for Sy, as the slightest suggestion that the family he often develops photos for might go digital frightens him...

This movie completely blew me away. Robin Williams plays a character so nerve-wreckingly creepy, strange and pitiful that he gets under your skin so much he becomes real. That's some of my favorite kind of characters, where they feel so real that they almost start existing. I have no words for how layered his performance was. It would be so easy to just make a character straight-up creepy only, but the fact that you want to root for him even though you're worried at the same time he'll finally snap speaks volumes for how much he embraces this character. Sy is not a bad person, but he's still dangerous. He's compassionate, but also oddly disconnective. The Yorkin family (well, Nina and Jakob at least) like him, but they are not aware of just how much Sy really loves them, not only as customers, but like they were his own family members. The only times they get an idea of that is when he "jokily" refers to himself as Uncle Sy. When he does start to get a little too close to them, director/writer of this movie conveys it so subtly how they are pleased to see him, but at the same time they know something isn't quite right. Will Yorkin notices something odd about him right away, but doesn't think too much of him outside of just a "stranger". This is the core of the movie, the struggle of Sy trying to get something he can't have. It's almost immediately obvious he's close to them, but it's not enough. He wants to be more than just a nice familiar face. We as the audience know how easily he can break loose of any logical thought and restraint, which he does throughout but it happens so slowly and methodically we feel constant shivers long before the movie is over.

Gary Cole is also good and kinda funny as his frustrated boss Bill Owens. All of the performances range from good to excellent, but if it wasn't for Williams the movie wouldn't have as much meaning as it does. It makes you think about how dangerous loneliness can be, how important support from family or friends is. We don't want to end up like Sy, but we strongly pity people who turn out that way.

I was gonna rate this a 4.5, but this movie resonated with me so to such a point and made me think so much about it almost restlessly it's actually a full 5. Movies full of emotional torment are not the kind I like to rewatch too soon, but I'll always cherish and respect it fondly. It's possibly the most personal Williams has ever gotten.

Awful.
I thought the version made in 2005 was really bad. Today I've changed my mind.
I've written extensively about this movie, so don't want to repeat it all... I'll just say this: it's not a totally terrible film in and of itself (meaning, if you took a 10-year-old who never read a comic book to see an action flick about completely never-before-seen super-powered characters, they might enjoy it: like with the movies Sky-High or Zoom).

But as a film about the iconic 56-year-old super-team family group of cosmic adventurers known as THE Fantastic Four - this was the height of blasphemy! (And I thought what they did to Dr. Doom in the earlier series was bad! I had no idea how low anyone could actually go in regards to bastardizing a character.)

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I've written extensively about this movie, so don't want to repeat it all... I'll just say this: it's not a totally terrible film in and of itself (meaning, if you took a 10-year-old who never read a comic book to see an action flick about completely never-before-seen super-powered characters, they might enjoy it: like with the movies Sky-High or Zoom).

But as a film about the iconic 56-year-old super-team family group of cosmic adventurers known as THE Fantastic Four - this was the height of blasphemy! (And I thought what they did to Dr. Doom in the earlier series was bad! I had no idea how low anyone could actually go in regards to bastardizing a character.)
You are absolutely right about 10-years kids who are doomed for watching this sht I hope they will appreciate the oldest version when they get older.
I barley was able to watch it till the end. Violation.