Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Popcorn. An elaborate student-organized horror movie marathon night at a local cinema proves the perfect stalking ground for a madman out for revenge in this early 90s tongue in cheek horror flick that essentially serves up a post-modern slasher parody five years before Scream. Not that it's as good as that, mind, but it's an entertaining and good natured flick starring late 80s/early 90s Scream Queen Jill Schoelen.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean - 7/10

I rated this before, but I didn't remember the end... I actually thought I watched the first 30 minutes and turned it off.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Top 10 in my profile. Love the dialogue.
Same reason I loved it... Quick and witty. Very economic, too, saying so much with so few words, in so few times with the quick, constant back and forth (the writing reminds me of The Blue Dahlia)

So many good movies. I currently have go to list of over hundred and that's just since joining this forum. Crying. Can't choose.
Pull yourself together, Dani!.. And if you've not already seen it, move The Conversation (1974, FF Coppola, Hackman) to the top of your list.

~Doc

I'll be honest, as much as I thought The Graduate was an important piece of history, and had some nice moments, I could never buy the story. Seemed not only far fetched, but kind of despicable. I'm sure I'm not the first to say that haha.

Popcorn. An elaborate student-organized horror movie marathon night at a local cinema proves the perfect stalking ground for a madman out for revenge in this early 90s tongue in cheek horror flick that essentially serves up a post-modern slasher parody five years before Scream. Not that it's as good as that, mind, but it's an entertaining and good natured flick starring late 80s/early 90s Scream Queen Jill Schoelen.
I was actually gonna review this because I had been wanting it on Blu ray for years and finally it got a release. Unfortunately for me, it didn't fare as well.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
So many good movies. I currently have go to list of over hundred and that's just since joining this forum. Crying. Can't choose.
Pull yourself together, Dani!.. And if you've not already seen it, move The Conversation (1974, FF Coppola, Hackman) to the top of your list.

~Doc
Pulls self together.

Thanks doc.

Annabelle Creation - 4/5
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 4.2/5

The Big Sick (2017) (Wrt. Kumail Nanjiani & Emily V. Gordon)

Mike Birbilia's movies, Trainwreck, 50/50, Obvious Child, HBO's Crashing, Netflix's Master of None, FX's Louie, etc etc etc.

Not every stand up needs to write a true to life screenplay. They just don't.

The Elephant Man (1980) (Dir. David Lynch)

David Lynch travels back to the pre-code era to pay homage to such forebearers as James Whales' Frankenstein (1931) and Tod Browning's Freaks (1932) with a keen eye for the filmmaking style of the period. The affectionate hand by which the character of John Merrick is drawn speaks to the paradox of David Lynch himself, a gentle soul intimately in touch with the darkness of the human heart. The Elephant Man may take place in the same Lynchian void as Eraserhead, an industrial, nightmarish hellscape muffled by the whirring of machinery and the cries of souls, but instead of being consumed by this peculiar purgatory, Lynch dictates an account of a man who transcended it, if only briefly. It's not as impenetrably personal an experience as Lynch's debut, but Merrick's ability to find catharsis in art, in theater, and in connection with others is clearly a sentiment shared by both the author and the subject.

The Mummy. The 2017 version, where Tom Cruise battles an undead woman with nasty powers who wants to... I don't know, cause general chaos. Or something. Really, who the hell cares? This got massively panned and while I kind of wanted to like it as I don't mind Cruise and I sometimes have a tendency to wildly disagree with some whiny critics on some films (T5 and the recent The Circle being prime examples), I thought this deserved a drubbing and then some. Lifeless, lazy runaround CGI boreathon. In the immortal words of Monty Python, it's a piece of s***, when you look at it.

Hell or High Water (2016)

A fine movie about crime and law in Texas, filmed in New Mexico and perfectly captured on film by a director from Scotland, David MacKenzie! Written by talented actor/writer/director/producer Taylor Sheridan, the movie tells the story of two differing pairs of men: one pair are bank-robbing brothers, the other pair are Texas Rangers on the brothers' trail. The movie works most excellently paralleling the two sets of men and their likenesses and differences. The movie takes its time letting us really get to know these men and how they work together and sometimes clash in their styles. That's the real joy of the movie, the compare and contrast of the relationships. Bringing the roles to life are Chris Pine and Ben Foster as brothers Toby and Tanner Howard respectively, and Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham as lawmen Marcus Hamilton and Alberto Parker, also respectively. Toby is the more of a step-back and think type of man, while his brother Tanner, recently released from prison, is the loose cannon. Marcus is more gung-ho, despite his near-retirement age, and Alberto is the calmer thinker of the two.

When the Howard brothers mother dies, their childhood ranch home is jeopardized, with the bank threatening to foreclose, especially since oil has been found on their land. Time is of the essence, so the brothers go on a bank-robbing spree in small, quiet towns within a certain radius of their home. To really spotlight how Tanner can put the brothers in a perilous predicament, there is a scene where the two brothers are enjoying a meal at a small town diner, when Tanner excuses himself. While Toby is still relaxing at the diner, Tanner goes across the street and executes an unplanned robbery at the local bank across the street. This of course distresses Toby mightily. On the other hand, Good old boy Ranger Marcus has fun picking on Alberto's Native American blood. You'd think this would drive them apart but you can tell that Alberto doesn't take true offense because he can give as good as he gets and the Rangers care about each other. As do the outlaw brothers. And they are headed for a meetup.

The action is spread throughout the movie with the various bank robberies, a fight that occurs when a couple of young punks stupidly taunt one of the brothers at a convenience store, and car chases as the brothers speed out of town. The lawmen's scenes are more laid-back but never dull as their priorities in life come out during their conversations. Their styles of working a case somewhat differently come out during their road trips and their stops along the way. The supporting characters are all great, some providing wry humor, especially the crabby old waitress the lawmen meet up with. The cinematography is beautiful all along the way, whether it be in the scrub brush riddled countryside of Texas (actually New Mexico), or the small, sleepy towns along the way, with the beautiful paintbrush of the photography really bringing the color of these locations to vivid life. The soundtrack, with the hard-edged country songs playing, are perfect for whatever is happening onscreen, whether the lyrics go along with the scene or not...the music is the key and it's perfect. There's nary a wasted moment in the movie. Every scene adds to the story from start to finish. A great movie.

My Cousin Rachel (2017)

It's very pretty and Rachel Weitz is very good but it doesn't really work as a "mystery". Basically it's the story of a man/boy who takes in his cousin/father's wife believing her to be some sort of monster. Though really it's more of a character study in psuedosexual politics of the era. It doesn't hit the same heights as say a Rebecca, Gaslight or Jane Erye but it is good and watchable.

Autopsy of Jane Doe(2016)

A father and son set of coroners are given the task of dissecting and investigating a strange body. As the story continues strange things happen. It's a high concept horror film that feels like a really good Twilight Zone episode stretched to an hour and a half.

Nothing but the Night(1973)

This was a blind buy for me at the local second hand video store. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star in this mystery about a group of trustees that end up dying one by one. It's a strong concept but the execution is a bit faulty. Somewhat of a waste but if you are a lee/cushing fan it's worth tracking down.

Fehér isten [White God] (Kornél Mundruczó, 2014)

A ruff watch that sadly is far, far more horrible drama than dramatic horror

Great review @dadgumblah !

I enjoyed the movie but didn't adore it like so many people seemed to do. But I enjoyed reading the thoughts from someone who felt like that about it.