Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mr Holland's Opus (1995, Stephen Herek)

The Dark Tower
(2017)
My Rating:
+
My Mom's Rating:

My mother is an avid reader of Stephen King, and is a huge fan of The Dark Tower book series; it's one of her all time favourites. She's been pushing them on me for years, but I've only managed to read the first 1 and a half. This also happened to be her first time coming in town to see a movie at the theatre in 8 years, so when the negative to lukewarm reviews started coming out, I was really worried she'd hate it.

The film ended up not being anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, and my mom actually rather enjoyed it. She thought it was a good action film, and explained that besides a few liberties and missing characters, everything that happens in the film does indeed take place in the books. It apparently wasn't the incredibly loose adaptation I warned her it might be. She was a bit disappointed in the ending because it deviated from the timing of events in the book, and meant that there likely wouldn't be a sequel.

I explained that the film has not been doing well so it probably wouldn't be getting a sequel or that planned tv series anyway. Her response was "I don't know why people don't like it; it was good! Maybe I'm just easy to please". But in my experience she really isn't (as far as films are concerned), so perhaps this version is a little better than people are giving it credit for.

High Sierra (1941)

Director Raoul Walsh directs Humphrey Bogart as a guy who gets pardoned from prison and who goes straight to the next heist. I thought it was decent, but I was hoping for more from that actor/director combo.

Horrible Bosses (2011) -

Felt like having a laugh
One of my favorite comedies. At the beginning the guy awaits to get Kevin's spot.

Kevin: So I decided to give the job to myself.

Or when they go to find Mutherf*cker Jones.

Are there here people who kill people for living?

Or in the end when the old guy appears.

Twisted old f*ck.

Re-watched this movie recently for the first time in decades and was totally immersed in seconds. Classic movie directed by John Boorman that either involves man vs. nature, man vs. man, or man vs. himself, however you want to see it. I think it includes all three themes and is the better for it.

All about four city men who travel to a Georgia river that is soon to be dammed and turned into a lake, according to the leader of the group, Lewis (Burt Reynolds). Lewis and his closest friend, Ed (Jon Voight) are more experienced. The two green men along for the trip are Bobby (Ned Beatty) and Drew (Ronny Cox). The various personalities either mesh or clash, particularly Lewis against Bobby. Ed and Bobby pull to shore in their canoe and are assaulted by two backwoodsmen. Veteran actor Bill McKinney is the recognizable actor here and he plays the vicious hillbilly terrifyingly, raping Bobby. The scene is horrifying because of the violence, yet the lead up to it has more tension than the actual act, which is edited in such a way that you think you're seeing more than you do.

When the other hillbilly is about to assault Ed, they are saved by Lewis, who uses his compound bow and arrows to deadly effect on McKinney's character. The other gets away and the four men conspire to cover up the rapist's death. It goes downhill for the men from then on as they realize they are being stalked from the shore by the other man. They must pull all they have from themselves to survive not only the bad man but the elements. Each man responds differently and some truly find the strength to do the unspeakable.

This is one tense, but very thrilling (not in a fun way) movie. Perfectly photographed and edited, excellently acted and tightly directed, this is one of Boorman's best movies, and in my opinion, one of the best movies ever made. I was lucky enough to see this movie at the cinema when it was first released and it's still just as effective today. And it's justifiably famous for it's song, "Dueling Banjos," which is played out near the beginning of the movie. As I inferred at the beginning, I saw this just the other night on cable and could watch it again today.

I don't know if man vs. nature is possible, unless the evil is in the man, because nature was created by God, if you're a Christian, like you and me.

I agree, the movie is captivating. It reminds me of The Shawshank Redemption. The human spirit endures and overcomes absolutely everything thrown at it. Jon is particulary tenacious, as he leads them all.

I don't know if man vs. nature is possible, unless the evil is in the man, because nature was created by God, if you're a Christian, like you and me.
Well, what I was driving at was what I thought Boorman was going for in his themes in the movie. I thought it was all three. I don't think it was man vs. God, and I know God created nature, but by nature I was referring to the river, the rocks, the cliffs, etc. that the men had to endure before they could make it out.

Jon is particulary tenacious, as he leads them all.
Yes, he is truly the one that overcomes his fears and rises above whatever is thrown at them. I thought he was the best actor in the film, although they were all fine.

Well, what I was driving at was what I thought Boorman was going for in his themes in the movie. I thought it was all three. I don't think it was man vs. God, and I know God created nature, but by nature I was referring to the river, the rocks, the cliffs, etc. that the men had to endure before they could make it out.
Yes, of course, Dad. You're right. But maybe it's interesting phylosophically. How come nature can be so violent if created by God? Because after the creation, enter the serpent, who f*cked up everything, including the nature maybe. They both fight through nature, as they do through everything.

movies can be okay...

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

But maybe it's interesting phylosophically. How come nature can be so violent if created by God? Because after the creation, enter the serpent, who f*cked up everything, including the nature maybe. They both fight through nature, as they do through everything.
I get ya. And agree.

Martyrs

0/10

This might be the worst movie ive ever seen. It wasnt just dumb and boring but almost everything about it rubbed me the wrong way. Tries too hard and failed hard in every way. The most disturbing thing about it was how many of my brain cells died.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Hills Have Eyes

(Alexandre Aja)

In this remake, we see the family trip take a horrible turn as a mutated family living in the hills in a remote desert take the tourists hostage. The mutants are bent on revenge and will stop at nothing for blood and carnage.

Alexandre Aja, who brought us a little french film called "High Tension" is at the blood and guts genre again. This time he has more people to slaughter and a great team behind him to bring these horrific mutants to life. What we as an audience get is a sick, twisted, no holds barred horror film that isn't afraid to smack the viewer in the face. With so many horror films playing it "safe" in the recent years, Hills Have Eyes was a nice breath of fresh air in the horrors of the horror genre.

Aja manages to create such a creepy and isolated atmosphere, that if there were no mutants at all I would still get the creeps. The hills play characters themselves, as the home to these creatures, they too are frightening. The mutants kill dogs, people and rape women, they are deplorable.

Aja stages the initial attack well enough to generate some good scares and tension. Upping the drama, violence and blood from the original, I wasn't sure where Aja was going to take us. The film has a turning point when the mutants become the hunted, something for the audience to rally behind. Aja uses blood and gore to his advantage, letting the characters relish in the sweet revenge.

Believable make-up effects, I'd expect nothing less, and warm, yet stark cinematography add to the unique aspect to the film. This is a good remake, one that feels very much like the remake of Dawn of the Dead. It was done with respect and admiration to the original, not something to cash in on a recognizable name. That's how I saw it at least and I welcome people who love the genre to partake in such fun.

Suspect's Reviews

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Ex-Machina

This movie was so plain and given I bend towards pessimism (worst case scenario thinking), it was predictable. Humans are simple and make mistakes, that we are held back by our vices and emotions, was this the message? True to an extent but we can be more than that. You'd think the person who was able to create AI would be less prone to idiotic mistakes including excessive drinking. The "brilliant" man, played by Oscar Isaac who drinks, who works out, who spouts superficial year one College AI philosophical ideas was not very convincing.

Ironically, again if I'm missing some kind of subtle point, then I have missed it indeed, the other main male character lacked personality. Dull lifeless and easy to manipulate, like a robot.

So this happens, that happens, all slowly, without much emotion or great intrigue. There's some odd camera angles that seem artsy and break the tone, first time Director choices? There's a great nude scene and my favourite scene was Isaac having a dance off, he has some cool moves.

Like I said pretty predictable and plain. But what stayed with me was the cold. The cold ending, the "leaving" we shall call it and the cold characters, all of them I never warmed to.

2/5

PS: Bit unfair to compare it to a fully fleshed out TV series like Westworld but if you want depth...robot depth, ponderings and philosophy that is the show for you.

Doctor Strange (2016)

Another character joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe and he's a longtime comic book character from Marvel that was due his own movie. Especially since special effects have advanced so much, the movie can tell his story without worrying about it being half-baked due to poor imagery. I realize that there is a conflict going on with movie fans, some of who are growing tired of being bombarded with CGI effects in movies, while others don't mind it. I don't mind it as long as it serves the story and in this case, the effects are absolutely necessary to telling the story and they're quite eye-popping.

Dr. Stephen Strange (a terrific Benedict Cumberbatch) is a big-time neurosurgeon with a massive ego who works alongside another fellow surgeon, his ex-lover Christine, played nicely by Rachel McAdams. Their interplay touches a lot on his self-interest, sometimes with humor, sometimes with touches of anger on McAdams' part. Strange is brought down low when he's involved in a horrific car crash that renders the nerves in his hands extremely damaged. The first third of the movie really dwells on his search for the repair of his hands, which comes up empty for him. He is then directed to Nepal by a person who was seemingly miraculously cured. He goes there with his ego in tow. He is finally admitted to a temple, hidden behind an innocuous-looking door. However, all is beyond his imagination behind the door. He meets a sorceress known as The Ancient One (played by a shaven headed Tilda Swinton, who looks oddly sexy without hair) who knocks him known constantly concerning his self-interest. He is shown unbelievable magical powers which he eventually learns to harness despite still retaining a bit of his rebellious side.

Eventually the mystics are called upon to fight against a former student of the Ancient One played with simmering evil by the excellent Mads Mikkelsen, who, with his followers, want to let the world be taken by a monstrous planet-consuming entity. It falls to Strange and the others to fight against Mikkelsen and his cronies, who bend reality in an effort to kill the good guys. These fights play out with an effect that seems like a cross between The Matrix and Inception with cities being warped beyond belief.

Everyone in the movie is game to bring this story to life and they succeed in spades. There are spots of humor that even out things when it seems the movie will get too heavy. A really funny ongoing joke involves a cape that seems to be alive, which "adopts" Strange and literally clings to him and protects him at times.

A truly fun, never dull adventure that is a welcome and slightly different part of the Marvel Universe. Well-acted and finely directed with skill by Scott Derrickson, who has directed such efforts as The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister, and does a great job with this non-horror film. As with any Marvel movie, check out two during-and-after-credits additional scenes. Recommended for those who like the Marvel films, and I'm one of them.