MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Home on the Range is atrocious. I never thought i'd find a worse Disney than Chicken Little then there it was
Exactly.

That's probably why the rating for Chicken Little might surprise you despite of my negativity towards it... but my expectations were simply at an all time low after Home on the Range.

"18"
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
The year is no spelling mistake

total movie count ........... viewing day count
286 .......................... 344

December 11th

—— 2007 ——
MEET THE
ROBINSONS

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.47

REWATCH
Stroll around the grounds
until you feel at home...

After the Disney Renaissance, the studio was rapidly searching for a resurrection or rebirth of their animated films, since they really seemed to struggle with finding their footing when they stepped inside the 2000s… Their last few movies have consisted of occasionally forgettable and fragmentally constructed pieces of animation, with wildly different styles, approaches and results. ‘Meet the Robinsons’ is the newest branch on the (family) tree at Disney and although it may be new in release, the question is whether it is new in anything else?

‘Meet the Robinsons’ is, at the same time, super-fast-paced, heartfelt and sentimental, and full of homages and references to movies and genres throughout cinema history, packed with fun inside a familiar story, which feels pretty fresh in the hands of Disney here – almost like they are playing “hot potato” with their own production. It is energized, eccentric and easily the most alive Disney have felt in quite a while. The movie split audiences and critics alike, and I totally understand that, because this is not a safe bet movie like ‘Brother Bear’ or other past films, which have been criticized for being tiresome and unoriginal. This movie about family, acceptance, perseverance and time travel feels ahead of time for the studio – not only as a pun – and perhaps a bit too complicated for smaller audience members, who will hopefully have fun with the actual animation, while the story might engage the parents more.

This movie has themes and morals we can all relate to and despite being a surfaced, upbeat story it really hits some emotional beats towards the end that really reinforces the heartfelt core of the film that lies beneath all the fun the entire time. The film does have flaws, it is far from perfect, but nevertheless I’m impressed and entertained whenever I watch this film. This will always be Disney’s little science project that got lost in time and space, but I do hope it will receive a cult following of sorts as time goes by, where people will understand and accept it, like it is the case with our main characters and the themes on display. I have seen more love for it lately than upon release, so I guess it isn’t totally forgotten about and I’m very happy about that.

"17"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

287 .......................... 347

December 14th

—— 1992 ——
reservoir
dogs

—— thriller ——
REWATCH

Quentin Tarantino’s “shoot first, explain later” technique is already smoking hot
despite barely emerging from the barrel of future bad-assery with this debut feature!

His bullet rain dialogue is wild, rough around the edges, and wonderfully vigorous – watching Tarantino dodge the pitfalls he almost sets up for himself throughout is like walking through a pitch-black art gallery, soaked in gasoline, with nothing but a match box trying to get a glimpse of every image without burning yourself and the framework as you go. That might be the most obscure reference I have ever made. But anyways, also, the bumpy and low-budget feel only adds to the experience of a film fanatic filming his own luscious dream surrounded by huge talent to help him realize it. This is one of the best debut features ever made, for sure…

‘Reservoir Dogs’ isn’t a perfect film, but it is more than you could ask for in a debut feature. Tarantino tactically plays with what he later perfected with ‘Pulp Fiction’ – showing the audience the other side of the main event – not constructing his movie to work towards the climatic momentum, but building the momentum around a classical example of a climax, in this case, a bank heist. It is everything that goes on outside of the robbery that really sells the movie; it is the characters before and after the heist that haul this movie home. It is the unconventional construction of the plotline that ignites the power, which then drives the story forward – the introduction of a seemingly typical group of people, who appear to know each other well; then comes the cold hard cut to the aftermath of a heist gone wrong; then the little sprinkles of backstory for each character throughout to eventually form and shape the movie after the fact.

‘Reservoir Dogs’ is as much an experiment as it is an example of building a plot and shaping a movie. Everything is turned upside down and Tarantino enjoys having his audience hang head-down, hands tied, to see the happenings from a different perspective, while the blood runs to our head as Tarantino shouts the boiling, spitfire dialogue straight into our ears as he dances around to his own inner music with our attention in his holy hands of hómage ŕ trois between us and him as well as his violent and horny obsession with violence and cinema history. Being stuck in the middle of this scenario is quite the experience.

And if my mind doesn’t feel just a little bit verbally and visually violated after a Quentin Tarantino movie it just isn’t a Quentin Tarantino movie. And if the performances from the actors and actresses in a Quentin Tarantino movie isn’t some of the best they have ever done, then I would equally question the legitimacy of it... The movie has an all-star cast delivering five-star performances inside the career-starting movie of a future mega-star film director. What’s not to love here?

+

"16"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

288 .......................... 347

December 14th

—— 1997 ——
Jackie
Brown

—— drama ——
REWATCH

I just talked about how ‘Reservoir Dogs’ was a riveting debut with a plot structure and style
later more or less perfected with Tarantino’s sophomore effort, ‘Pulp Fiction’...

Now, with ‘Jackie Brown’, Quentin Tarantino takes his third round inside the somber chamber of the crime genre, which also happens to be the first film – and to this date only film – not based on an original idea from the mind of the man himself. The script is Tarantino’s own and it shows, while the story isn’t and that unfortunately also shows…

‘Jackie Brown’ is a lengthy, lush crime-drama with the usual, uncut spoken leeway of the main characters, who talk about nothing of importance, while also telling us something important along the way as well – a little something known as the “Tarantino transcription tactic”, which he later perfected in ‘Inglourious Basterds’ – and perhaps to some minds – overdid. Anyways, the point is that all the Tarantino pinpoints can be pointed out here and it looks, sounds and feels pretty much like any Tarantino movie – just not a full-blooded one, in my opinion, and that has to do primarily with the story. This is undoubtedly a long feature, but that has never truly been a fault with this director’s films, since he usually entertains and stimulates our minds plenty, so that we don’t care much when the credits suddenly roll. But with ‘Jackie Brown’ the does not roll, it drags, and Tarantino struggles with making a novel into a movie without making a novel out of his movie along the way. What I mean is that Tarantino seems to deliver what appears to be his classic loose dialogue, which now seems to be missing the tight grip that made us all invested in everything from blabbering to basic information to begin with.

Usually a Tarantino picture doesn’t bore me at all, but ‘Jackie Brown’ is on the verge of doing so several times throughout. There is an interesting little mystery in here but it gets lost in pot smoke and strenuous scenes of blabbering, which really doesn’t feel rewarding for its overlong 2 hours and 34 minutes’ worth of running time. And even if the characters are still pretty strong in their own right, they do pale a little next to other Tarantino flicks, in my opinion. But they are still fun enough to follow, the soundtrack is still awesome and the dialogue still keeps me more invested than not. Yet, despite coming together more towards the end, it still doesn’t make up for the fact that I feel sort of hollow inside after watching ‘Jackie Brown’. It is really missing that edge and that energy that usually comes with a Tarantino movie, at least that’s how I see it…

I haven't yet subjected myself to Home on the Range. I actually own Chicken Little, much to my embarrassment, though have only suffered through it once.

I'm a bit shocked at your reaction to Lilo & Stitch. I think that movie is touching and delightful. The Emperor's New Groove was hilarious. Both big favorites of mine. Brother Bear and Meet the Robinsons are both personal favorites, too. F*** the critics.

Have you watched The Wild? It's like Disney's version of Madagascar and it's awful.

I haven't yet subjected myself to Home on the Range. I actually own Chicken Little, much to my embarrassment, though have only suffered through it once.

I'm a bit shocked at your reaction to Lilo & Stitch. I think that movie is touching and delightful. The Emperor's New Groove was hilarious. Both big favorites of mine. Brother Bear and Meet the Robinsons are both personal favorites, too. F*** the critics.
If you haven't, you should read the review of Home on the Range even if you haven't seen it... After that read-through you'll be sure to never see it...

I do like Lilo & Stitch okay, it's fine entertainment, but there is just something about it that doesn't click. Emperor is indeed great fun, but still not exactly a "great movie" - at least not to me. Glad you like both Brother Bear (of course, Joaquin) and Robinsons too!

Have you watched The Wild? It's like Disney's version of Madagascar and it's awful.
I have...

and it's awful.

movies can be okay...
No one got anything to say about the last three movies? Not even the Tarantino ones? I would really appreciate a comment or two.
- I completely agree with you when it comes to Reservoir Dogs, the flaws become insignificant once they are face to face with the overall experience and what the film ultimately accomplishes.

- As for Jackie Brown, I can agree that it's Tarantino's worst film (although I have yet to see Inglorious Bastards or Django Unchained) but I still immensely love it. Sure the story does tend to go all over the place sometimes, but the characters character do more than make up for it. The only significant problem I have with the movie is how it wraps up.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

"17"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

287 .......................... 347

December 14th

—— 1992 ——
reservoir
dogs

—— thriller ——
REWATCH
+

Most movies about retired crime dudes doing 'one last job' are about the job. Sexy Beast is about the man being convinced to do the job.

Most Hollywood blockbusters are about something interesting happening and the last twenty minutes being a big all action largely plotless attack. Dunkirk is that 'attack' extended into a feature lengthened movie.

I love it when films do stuff like this.

- I completely agree with you when it comes to Reservoir Dogs, the flaws become insignificant once they are face to face with the overall experience and what the film ultimately accomplishes.

- As for Jackie Brown, I can agree that it's Tarantino's worst film (although I have yet to see Inglorious Bastards or Django Unchained) but I still immensely love it. Sure the story does tend to go all over the place sometimes, but the characters character do more than make up for it. The only significant problem I have with the movie is how it wraps up.
Thank you for your comment, Okay, I can see you spent a good while in this thread. I appreciate it so, very much.

Glad you agree on Reservoir Dogs! The good thing with a Tarantino movie, is that even the mediocre characters are kinda great still. Mostly all QT characters are fun to watch and you are better off finding good characters in a Tarantino flick than elsewhere...

I actually remember liking how it wraps up, but taking too long to get where stuff starts to go down. Anyways, been a while now. The review is new but the date I saw it is not.

You should see Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, you really should... seriously, GET ON THAT... Okay, Okay? And no, I did not repeat myself.

Thanks again, man.

I love movies that take different perspectives on plots done many times. Most movies are about the robbery, Reservoir Dogs is about the aftermath.

Most movies about retired crime dudes doing 'one last job' are about the job. Sexy Beast is about the man being convinced to do the job.

Most Hollywood blockbusters are about something interesting happening and the last twenty minutes being a big all action largely plotless attack. Dunkirk is that 'attack' extended into a feature lengthened movie.

I love it when films do stuff like this.
I couldn't agree more, and Tarantinos early films were all about this. Great way to spice things up a little...

Thank you for your comment, HB, very much appreciated!

Tarantino's first three are my favorites and in the exact release order. I wish he would get back to the crime genre, and I don't mean comic book type nonsense like Kill Bill.

Tarantino's first three are my favorites and in the exact release order. I wish he would get back to the crime genre, and I don't mean comic book type nonsense like Kill Bill.
I love Tarantino, new and old, but I hear many who love (and sometimes only love) that crime era of his...

Good thing for you then, he's doing a movie on the Manson Murders next, apparently. Though probably a little different, maybe it'll be more in the vein of earlier work than new, at least. Also Hateful Eight did go a little back to his roots, too, as well...

Thank you, as always, cricket, for checking in!

Same as Cricket: Reservoir Dogs>Pulp Fiction>Jackie Brown is my top three. Then Inglorious Basterds then The Hateful Eight. I generally have weird opinions on Tarantino, all of his films are at least somewhat entertaining though.

Same as Cricket: Reservoir Dogs>Pulp Fiction>Jackie Brown is my top three. Then Inglorious Basterds then The Hateful Eight. I generally have weird opinions on Tarantino, all of his films are at least somewhat entertaining though.
Definitely agree about that last part, Camo. I mean, his energy as a director and as a writer and the way he writes AND controls his actors and the characters they play, is just unrelenting... Like I wrote in one of the reviews, an actor or actress usually deliver some of their best work in a QT feature. And that's definitely part of why that energy is kept going too...

His love for the craft is also so much in your face, that it's hard not to get carried away. Like a little child going bananas in a toy store. You can't help but smile about it. At least that's somewhat how I feel watching a Tarantino movie.

Yeah, I remember your order too. Not exactly weird, I can understand it.

Definitely agree about that last part, Camo. I mean, his energy as a director and as a writer and the way he writes AND controls his actors and the characters they play, is just unrelenting... Like I wrote in one of the reviews, an actor or actress usually deliver some of their best work in a QT feature. And that's definitely part of why that energy is kept going too...

His love for the craft is also so much in your face, that it's hard not to get carried away. Like a little child going bananas in a toy store. You can't help but smile about it. At least that's somewhat how I feel watching a Tarantino movie.

Yeah, I remember your order too. Not exactly weird, I can understand it.
Don't think i like him as much as most people but i can agree with all of that.

Has there been any news on whether he's going serious or his usual comedic route with the Manson Murders? I can actually see it working if the murders are a brutal turn in tone in the last 20 minutes or whatever with the rest of it focusing on all of the New Age Mystical, Summer of Love BS him and his followers practiced.

I read a book that was called Manson in his own words or something and that's what it focused on mostly, it was hilarious which is so wrong. Very little about the murders in it other than to deny his involvement, technically he's right he didn't actually kill anyone.

Yea it seems like with every movie he comes out with, one or more actors end up with a career defining role. Maybe not his Westerns, but that's only because some of those actors already had their big moments in his previous films.