Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Tootise (1982)
Director: Sydney Pollack

Broke down and bought this on blu ray.

The film itself was well done. I thought they could have padded the ending a little more. Felt a bit rushed with the resolve. I certainly would have given it top marks if it had established more time and conflict due to Michael Dorsey's actions of lying to everyone, but I guess they had to make some serious editing decisions, or maybe it was just the mentality of the time. It came off a bit uneven to me, and the only reason I mention it in regard to an otherwise nearly flawless adult comedy is because of the word nearly. I like payoff to be very well rewarded, and the time for the hurting didn't last long enough. Other than that, I enjoyed it. It was intelligently handled with the writing for the most part, and the performances were all tip top. I found myself cringing a lot, but also laughing, especially at Dustin's continuous use of the word "ye-yas" (yes).

The supplements on the blu ray featured a very moving interview with Dustin Hoffman, who has always been one of my absolute favorite actors. The man is ready to cry between every sentence, and he does. His insight on the body language of women, in particular, the placing of the hand over the heart quite often, brought him to tears, as did the rejection of playing a woman probably deemed ugly by societal standards. It choked me up. I know crying on cue is skill of an actor but I believe Dustin means it.

I believe the ending of Tootsie left me on the verge of tears not so much because of the content of the story, but more for the time it came out and how different certain sensibilities were back then. The type of charisma and intellect and warmth just plain doesn't exist in movies anymore today and I miss it. I believe Dustin does, too. I can see why the guy cries so easily as it's known that he has worked with some legendary talent and must have had some equally legendary times working his craft with others.

Aaaaaaargh, Tootsie returns.

First time I watched it I had to turn it off after 20 minutes because it was just too insane (Also my grandmother looked very uncomfortable). I read the book and returned to the film. So....

Holy crap this movie is insane. I say watching this movie is the same as taking an illegal drug. Johnny Depp is very funny and portrays the character of Duke very well. Del Toro is awesome. A lot of stuff is lifted straight from the book which is always good in my book. The film perfectly portrayed which sections of the book were fiction or reality. The ending was improved upon. The cinematography perfectly portrayed the effects of being on drugs(not that I'd know!).

If you want to watch this film read the book first, otherwise it most likely won't make much sense.

This isn't a movie, it's a trip.

8/10

Gangs of New York (2002) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Waited until it hit the movie channels because I sure as hell wasn't going to spend any more money on it than I had too. All I have to say is, ugh.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Apparently Johnny Depp doesn't feed his children either.

The Cable Guy

So like... I watched this back in about 1998 and hated it.
I think at that age, being a bit naïve when it comes to movie trivia and TV trivia, and only ever seeing Ace Ventura, The Mask and Dumb And Dumber, I expected a similar sort of movie to Carrey's other stuff.

Had my 2nd watch, almost 20 years later... and loved it.

I think to get the movie, you need to be a cinephile.
Packed with references to classic cinema and TV shows, line after line of dialogue, scene after scene, the film packs as much as it can into the running time, yet also doesn't do it to the point that it's just a parody or homage... the film actually has, albeit slightly disturbing, its own story going on.

Carrey is also fantastic as the twisted screen junkie who basically worms his way into the lives of people who aren't sure if they want him or not... and there's an undertone of mental instability going on that's seemingly based on real life, and also parodies the same subject at the same time.

Broderick's softer touch at comedy is also perfect when played against Carrey at his most twisted.

Clever movie.

Wise Blood (1979)

Fascinating movie directed by John Huston that's hard to describe because I really wasn't sure of the motives of the main character or what he was really trying to say. It's the mid-to-late 70's and Hazel Motes (Brad Dourif, in one of his best roles) is just returned from the military and finds his old homestead run down and his father dead and buried on the property. So he hitches a ride to the city where he says he's "going to become something in the world." The fact that his father (director John Huston, seen in flashbacks) was a hell fire and brimstone minister and often had a young Hazel up front at his revivals, scaring him till he urinated, might have something to do with Hazel's choice of paths. He decides to start "The Church of Jesus Without Jesus," and he doesn't have a church building. He's a street corner minister, screaming to people that he doesn't believe in anything (so I guess that would make him a nihilist?), that if you're dead, you're dead, if you're poor, you're poor, that nothing is going to save you. He attracts a small crowd who gather around wherever he stands, but it's never really successful. He attracts the attention of a young man named Enoch Emory (Dan Shor) who wants a friend so bad he absolutely will not leave Hazel alone. I felt for Enoch, but Hazel has no time for him, he doesn't want friends. A blind man preacher, Asa Hawks (Harry Dean Stanton) and his homely daughter, Sabbath Lily (Amy Wright) come along, handing out tracts for their "church," and the girl catches Hazel's eye, so he follows them and ends up at the same boarding house with them. The landlady is somewhat suspicious but is friendly and welcomes Hazel. What follows is what happens when Hazel starts a relationship with Sabbath Lily, and Hazel's suspicion of Asa and his "ministry."

Also, we have Ned Beatty as a huckster street corner minister who wants to hitch a ride on Hazel's star. Except Hazel can smell a hypocrite a mile away and he hates them more than anything. So he refuses Beatty, whose name is Hoover Shoates---I love all these off-center names! The movie is full of them. Although set in the 70's, the movie really has the feel and almost look, of the 20's or 30's. If it weren't for the vehicles and certain other things, like Dairy Queen, you'd think this was set in the Depression. The dialogue is crisp and tart, with Brad Dourif practically spitting his lines, which only adds to his performance. Everyone involved in fantastic, even a younger William Hickey in a smallish role. As things progress, Hazel begins to see only one course for him. And the movie purposefully leaves things ambiguous, which really worked fine for me. Despite the name of Hazel's church, the movie is really not about that, but about his relationships with all the people who come into his orbit and his reaction to them. But what he really believes in the end remains a mystery because he doesn't say, but his actions give me a clue. Great 70's cinema and highly recommended.

If it seems I've told the whole movie, rest assured I haven't. It's just the outer surface I've described. Once you start watching, you'll get pulled in. Great stuff.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Tootise (1982)
Director: Sydney Pollack

Broke down and bought this on blu ray.

The film itself was well done. I thought they could have padded the ending a little more. Felt a bit rushed with the resolve. I certainly would have given it top marks if it had established more time and conflict due to Michael Dorsey's actions of lying to everyone, but I guess they had to make some serious editing decisions, or maybe it was just the mentality of the time. It came off a bit uneven to me, and the only reason I mention it in regard to an otherwise nearly flawless adult comedy is because of the word nearly. I like payoff to be very well rewarded, and the time for the hurting didn't last long enough. Other than that, I enjoyed it. It was intelligently handled with the writing for the most part, and the performances were all tip top. I found myself cringing a lot, but also laughing, especially at Dustin's continuous use of the word "ye-yas" (yes).

The supplements on the blu ray featured a very moving interview with Dustin Hoffman, who has always been one of my absolute favorite actors. The man is ready to cry between every sentence, and he does. His insight on the body language of women, in particular, the placing of the hand over the heart quite often, brought him to tears, as did the rejection of playing a woman probably deemed ugly by societal standards. It choked me up. I know crying on cue is skill of an actor but I believe Dustin means it.

I believe the ending of Tootsie left me on the verge of tears not so much because of the content of the story, but more for the time it came out and how different certain sensibilities were back then. The type of charisma and intellect and warmth just plain doesn't exist in movies anymore today and I miss it. I believe Dustin does, too. I can see why the guy cries so easily as it's known that he has worked with some legendary talent and must have had some equally legendary times working his craft with others.

"I was a better man as a woman than I was as a man"

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Fat City - 10/10

I only watch movies I've seen before after midnight, that way if I don't finish it, no big deal, but I don't feel I can sleep yet, and this is such a great movie.

Stacy Keach is so great in this. Everyone knows he would have got better roles if he didn't have a cleft pallate. I can't think of a handful of actors who've been this great in a movie.

My 3rd favorite of John Huston.

Welcome to the human race...
The Beguiled (2017) -

Probably the most OK movie of the year so far.

The last film I saw was War for the Planet of the Apes which I reviewed on my YouTube channel. I gave it an 8

('Come and See' - 1985)
I've finally let it sink in, and:
Work of Art

Also:

Damn Doode, dats f**ked up.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Hadnt heard of this one but I laughed at your description of the monkey escaping, biting the journo and getting hit by a car. I'm going to hell for that. Sounds a bit like

Actually I laughed when the monkey got hit with the car...so I think I;m going to hell as well