Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Holocaust 2000 - 5/10

This was on the COMET channel.. So weird that heads coming off is ok, but heaven forbid you see a woman with hardened nipples (though clothing) -- covered.. If you like Kirk Douglas, you might wanna see it. Unless you love horror/apocalypse/satanspawn/etc

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

Compiling a whole life, a whole career, a life changing life-long event, so to speak, into such a smooth but energetic movie that hits its structural beats almost as perfectly as the timeless classic music played - THAT is a successful film.

Some of the minority/underdog stuff and crooked cops elements are admittedly a little overplayed as is the "bad guys" in the story that are not our "heroes" whereas the latter also emphasizes said word a little too much at times. BUT what I can't take from this movie, even here on a rewatch, is how smooth it plays out. The story is structured and edited in such a way that I still get surprised at how fast we get to the end and how I'm basically never ever bored. It builds so well and keeps itself interesting. At least for me. But that's one hell of an accomplishment; making a 2 hour and 47 minute film (directors cut) feel like nothing - you know you did it right.

A fantastic modern biopic that is way better and more successful than everyone ever thought it would be. Just like N.W.A....

The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

+

This is a true story about the life and career of legendary baseball player Lou Gehrig, who tragically passed away a year before the film's release. This movie is on the top 100 cheers list, and I could understand that perfectly if it wasn't for the ending. There are very good performances from Gary Cooper in the lead role, Tereasa Wright as his wife, and Walter Brennan as a sportswriter and friend. The real treat though was Babe Ruth being in the movie, and not archive footage but actually acting. He played himself of course but that was pretty awesome. Unlike a lot of sports related movies, I'd more recommend this to sports fans, and more specifically American sports fans. It's not like there isn't plenty more to the movie, but at least for me there was a lot of nostalgia related to my enjoyment. The Yankees still suck, obviously.

Obviously you are a Red Sox/White Sox or Cubs fan, first of all Yankees fans are the worst right mate highfive.

Yeah, seriously though what was 04/05 like for you? if your Chicago team is White Sox then that time must have been so amazing and confusing.

If it's Cubs, i mean it wasn't Cubs stop pretending mate haha.
From Chicago, live in Boston, fan of all 3

I repped you but that will be quite enough Yankee bashing in the movie threads. Stay on topic...unless you hate the Sox.

I repped you but that will be quite enough Yankee bashing in the movie threads. Stay on topic...unless you hate the Sox.
The only time i posted in the Baseball thread was to make Clayton Kershaw posts so you know i don't care as long as the Dodgers are being amazing like right now. Al East is intense as hell this year, i'd be surprised if the WS Champ wasn't from there depressingly.

Go Dodgers!

Also i said Bryce Harper is a better team member than Mike Trout even though Trout is better individually, i stick by that. Both players fit i'd pick Bryce over Trout.

The only time i posted in the Baseball thread was to make Clayton Kershaw posts so you know i don't care as long as the Dodgers are being amazing like right now. Al East is intense as hell this year, i'd be surprised if the WS Champ wasn't from there depressingly.

Go Dodgers!

Also i said Bryce Harper is a better team member than Mike Trout even though Trout is better individually, i stick by that. Both players fit i'd pick Bryce over Trout.
The Sox are tough. The Yanks youth is showing. They don't have a prayer.

The Sox are tough. The Yanks youth is showing. They don't have a prayer.
I'm going to start a movement to move the Yankees to Montana. Sorry Sean i know you're a fan and i'll definitely succeed here.

The Billings Yankees!

I'm going to start a movement to move the Yankees to Montana. Sorry Sean i know you're a fan and i'll definitely succeed here.

The Billings Yankees!
Get them to move to Chattanooga. If you're going to use your powers, use them for good.

I don't like the Sox this year. Uninspired with no spunk.
Not sure what you are talking about, you guys are going to Rhode Island. The classic battle between the Billings Montana Yankees and the Providence Red Sox.

Baseball would be actually good if this post was real.

The truth is in here
HELLS ANGELS ON WHEELS

How should I try to review this movie? It doesn't really feel like a feature film as much as it feels like recordings from the Hell's Angels' archive. And that's not such a weird thing since Richard Rush himself, a Hells Angels member, directed this movie.

There is no story or a plot to speak of. No, instead what he has tried to do is recreate as best as possible how the Hells Angels gang live their daily lives. Notoriously spoken of as possibly the most controversial biker gang of all time, this movie doesn't debunk those claims. In fact, sometimes he even does a too good job at showing that! Just as you would expect, they are as loud, obnoxious and rude as humanly possible. And to add to that, also very dangerous. Even though the cops and other men of authority are depicted as jerks, you can't really blame them for their hostility. Hell, they managed to kill two people! Both times by accident, but still. They are strong. They are not to be messed with. You as much as badmouth them, you better watch out. At first, it just starts off as a fun romp, with them having fun partying and making fools of themselves. And then... it continues with them having fun partying and making fools of themselves. Yeah, I didn't say this movie had substance, only that it felt realistic. But where it shines is whenever it focuses on Poet and Shill. Shill is the tough kitten with an attitude, but something doesn't feel quite right about her obedience towards Buddy (even though she doesn't really like him), while Poet is the shy but ambitious young soul who isn't sure if he's wound up with the wrong company or if this is the only place where he will fit in. These two characters are the only really interesting ones in the whole movie, while with most of others it barely scratches the surface. Buddy has a scene where he explains what he feels about marriage, but other than that he's just shown as someone in a position of power. The fight between him and Poet at the end is very exciting nevertheless.

The budget is noticably pretty low, but it works to the movie's advantage since it adds to the "rough 'n tough" feeling it's going for. Sure, the audio isn't the best, but with subtitles I could make out what they said. The direction by Rush is at times stylistic, other times just really wonky. What the hell was up with that abrupt ending? That was so bizzarre! The editing is also weird many times, like how in one scene it at first cuts back and forth between a big brawl and two people having sex, then just cuts away completely to the fight. I have no idea why they did that. It could also be too choppy at times, with more cuts taking place than really are neccessary.

The cast is who deserves the most credit here. All of the Hells Angels members were believably portrayed, and Adam Roarke, Sabrina Scharf and of course Jack Nicholson were so good that whenever the film became a little too in love with its rocky style, they were still fun to watch.

Worth seeing for Jack Nicholson fans, and those interested in the infamousy of Hell's Angels. In terms of biker flicks there are more wellmade ones (Easy Rider for example, which was more than just a story of bikers), but probably sloppier ones as well.

Tampopo (1985)

I got this as a blind buy during the 50% off Criterion sale. What a wonderful surprise and joy this film was. Extremely quirky, part western, part gangster film, part art house and "wavish", but great comedy with hints of romance. I'd definitely recommend the film.

8/10