1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I Remember Mama
This being my first George Stevens movie I am certainly looking forward to more.

-
Glad to hear you liked it. Did it remind you of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn at all?

Your first George Stevens film, cool. He made some good ones too!

Penny Serenade(1941)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The More the Merrier (1943) Giant (1956)

Shane (1953)

A Place in the Sun (1951)

The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)

To name a few.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Glad to hear you liked it. Did it remind you of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn at all?

Your first George Stevens film, cool. He made some good ones too!

Penny Serenade(1941)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The More the Merrier (1943) Giant (1956)

Shane (1953)

A Place in the Sun (1951)

The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)

To name a few.
Yes. Actually someone made the comparison to I Remember Mama being like How Green Was My Valley. I think it was more similar to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn like you said. I almost put it in my review.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I don't think I've actually seen a Stevens movie, as of yet. And I DO need to see A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Enjoyed the review, nicely done, @rauldc14

Mr. Lucky
(1943)
Dir. H.C. Potter
Starring: Cary Grant, Laraine Day, Alan Carney

While the film's use of comedy didn't cause uproarious laughter, it did frequently put a smile on my face. It balances the darker aspects of the film very well, keeping the drama fairly light without changing the overall tone. Mr. Lucky also handles the serious moments in the film with grace, managing to tell a moral lesson to the audience without becoming overbearing. Given Cary Grant's background, I was caught off guard when what I assumed to be Cockney rhyming slang turned out to be of Australian origin instead. I'm not sure if that was an intentional joke or not, but I found it quite amusing anyway.

One aspect of the film I thought didn't work the way it was intended to was the relationship between Joe and Dorothy. While Laraine Day did a great job showing her character's emotional transition, Grant didn't really manage to do the same. Because of that, Joe's change of heart seemed abrupt and rather forced to me. As expected though, Grant's performance was otherwise very good; it was just the chemistry that I found lacking. The supporting cast were wonderful as well, particularly the ladies from the War Relief Organization. I would've liked to see more of them.

Knitting becoming a trend throughout the course of the film, and the running gag of Uncle Sam always looking over Joe's shoulder were actually my favourite parts of the film. They're rather simple recurring jokes, but I thoroughly enjoyed them. I would've preferred a different ending, either something more tragic, or ideally if there had been a role reversal and Joe ended up getting played by Dorothy. I am however happy enough with what we did get, as the film was a very pleasant experience.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	32421  

You guys are kickin' ass!..and really watching a lot of the noms Very cool

We're doing great here, it's been only 5 weeks and most everyone is already 2/3 of the way done! I bet I could have made the deadline 8 weeks instead of 12 weeks and everyone would still be able to finish.

Don't worry, the deadline is still: September 1st, plenty of time.

I'm just saying instead of: 1 movie=7 days....I think that, 1 movie=5 days would have been better and kept the level of excitement up, and of course another Hof could then start sooner.

Oh well, next time I will try 1 movie=5 days of Hof viewing time. I think that would work fine.

I believe these numbers are now correct Let me know if they are not.

Members Reviews:
Blix - 0/12
Citizen Rules - list received

CosmicRunaway - 9/12
Cricket - 10/12

Edarsenal - 5/12

Gbgoodies - 11/12
Jeff Costello - 8/12
Nestorio_Miklos - 7/12
Raul - 8/12
Silent Vamp

Thursday Next - 8/12

I'm not sure if Blix is still in or not? Silent Vamp is always reliable and has watched the movies, so no worries there. The rest of you are getting close to done. If we can finish early, you'd make me happy

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Silent Vamp is always reliable and has watched the movies, so no worries there.
Don't always be so sure about that.

I am going to watch The Sea Wolf as soon as I get off of here today, and then I am done. I wasn't around like I planned to be because the tendonitis in my shoulder has been acting up pretty bad these past few days. It wouldn't have been easy for me to sit and type anything on this computer.

I will make a really big effort to fight through this and get the reviews done in the 13th and then in this one. I think if I give it one more day of rest, it should be doable.

I have to get these done so I can stop obsessing over the fact that they haven't been done! Although, my obsession over it is probably why you can always rely on me with these things.

Day of Wrath / Vredens Dag (1943)
Dir. Carl Theodor Dreyer
Starring: Lisbeth Movin, Preben Lerdorff Rye, Thorkild Roose

Day of Wrath is a slow moving but ultimately mesmerizing film. I did not find it tedious to sit through at all, since both the story and cinematography were captivating to watch. I particularly liked the stark contrast between the interior and exterior shots. Inside the rooms are encased in shadow, reflecting both the religious community's oppression of others as well as their own belief that they are constantly surrounded by evil. Outdoors it is bright, and offers freedom to those suffering in this unjust society. It's also interesting how the final exterior scene with Anne and Martin changes to be just as dark and foreboding as the interior ones, as circumstances have changed and hope starts to fade away.

The scenes with Herlofs Marte, the older woman accused of witchcraft at the start of the film, are absolutely heartbreaking. Anna Svierkier gives an amazing performance. You really feel for Marte as she endures brutal torture and questioning, with her plight falling on callous, hypocritical ears. While her supposed crimes may be tied to practising some form of herbalism, as suggested in the opening scene, women could be condemned as witches for any number of petty transgressions. Acting in a manner others find objectionable, being tied to events purely through circumstance, or spitefully being named by another woman are all more than enough evidence for the religious folk in this town. What's worse is that their indoctrinated conviction is strong enough to convince many of the victims themselves that witchcraft is real after all.

The scariest part of Day of Wrath is that it is not some fantastic tale conceived to teach a lesson, but is rather one that mirrors real beliefs and tragedies that were part of Western culture for a depressingly long period of time. While those particular witch hunts have ended, similar beliefs and oppressive societies still exist in our modern day, allowing this film to remain surprisingly relevant. It's a beautiful and haunting film that I definitely won't be forgetting any time soon.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrath.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	32427  

Don't always be so sure about that.

I am going to watch The Sea Wolf as soon as I get off of here today, and then I am done. I wasn't around like I planned to be because the tendonitis in my shoulder has been acting up pretty bad these past few days. It wouldn't have been easy for me to sit and type anything on this computer.

I will make a really big effort to fight through this and get the reviews done in the 13th and then in this one. I think if I give it one more day of rest, it should be doable.

I have to get these done so I can stop obsessing over the fact that they haven't been done! Although, my obsession over it is probably why you can always rely on me with these things.
Hope your shoulder is doing better!! Take care!

LOVED both reviews, @CosmicRunaway! ALWAYS a joy!

and now. . .

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Yes, yes this film was, CHARMING.

The chemistry between Rex Harrison and Gene Teirney was truly wonderful to watch unfold and bloom to its final conclusion.
Just wonderful all the way around.
From the opening scene of Teirney's character taking a firm hold/control of her life to the amusing decision of moving into the house. How her face lit up upon completely understanding that the house was, indeed, haunted put a complete smile on my face.
I remember reviews remarking how it seemed the romance seemed rushed (I don't believe those exact words were used) but that Harrison actually caring about her seemed a bit too quick. I didn't see it as such. It is expressed that he gives her credit for not running away and the fact that she goes toe to toe with him, adds respect to the mix; and then, as he watches her get VERY comfortable with swearing, (there is something undeniably lovely about that. I've experienced it in my youth) and totally get Harrison caring so much for her.
I also get how, even though he remarks about "the rough waters ahead" or something to that degree about stepping aside and allowing her to make her own decisions regarding - an incredibly dashing - George Sanders.
Also, there was so much more spoken in the expressions than in the words at times and I truly enjoyed this.
One more thing, Harrison actually says that he decides who sees him and who doesn't. (I remember someone wondering about that as well.)

And of course, the final scene when the walk off together. . . what's the word I'm looking for/ . . . ah, yes, CHARMING. Truly.

THANK YOU @Jeff Costello for nominating this!!

Body and Soul

This is a story of an amateur boxer Charley Davis who gets to the professional career. First his mother Anna Davis doesn't want him to fight but after his father is accidentally killed he decides to pursue the professional career. His managers are ruthless leeches fixing up the matches and luring him into all kinds of wrong decisions. His girlfriend leaves him and Charley lives bohemian life spending too much money on endless parties and his new fake friends. Of course there is a good side to him and Charley hires Ben Chaplin to a main coach position, he goes back to his girlfriend and mother and promises to quit fighting. The last match is fixed and he supposed to loose but this won't happen. Charley is changed and he wins the match by knockout in, I guess, 14th round or 13th. Not sure. He celebrates his success but mainly he celebrates that he stood up to his manipulators. And his girlfriend arrives to the scene they kiss and cut. That's it. All good. Happy end. And this is my main problem with this movie, the happy ending is forced in. Where is a part the Quinn's guys beat a crap out of him? Where is a part a part Charley is forced to return those 60 thousand? Where is all that drama? The ending was too neat for me and I missed something. Also the camera was too dark all the time with not much lights and I was expecting they would play with fighting scenes a bit more. There were shots from under the arena and some face details but not much more than that. I would even say Gentleman Jim, that is 5 years older movie, has much better fighting scenes. I understand this movie was not only about box however I would expect more.

I like the acting. That I must say was excellent. John Garfield, Lilli Palmer, William Conrad and especially Canada Lee a pioneer of Afro-American acting. I was actually glad to see a black actor in a movie from 40's not playing only a lackey for 2 minutes. I liked the morals and message of the story and the mother and son relationship. Except a couple of issues that I have with this picture I still like it and think of it as a decent nomination. Thanks a lot @cricket !

enjoyed the review, Nestorio!
I was very curious about when they came after him for throwing the fight as well.
Still, I very much enjoyed the film

The Sea Wolf next for me. Looks good. Let's see.
wow, I didn't realize this is based on Jack London's novel. I've read The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Martin Eden and seen some adaptations. Doesn't make me an expert but I was always enjoying Jack London novels because with him I could travel and dream

wow, I didn't realize this is based on Jack London's novel. I've read The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Martin Eden and seen some adaptations. Doesn't make me an expert but I was always enjoying Jack London novels because with him I could travel and dream
Jack London is great ! I've read "The Call of the Wild" and " White Fang" too, as well as couple of his other novels whose title I can't remember right now. "Burning Daylight" is another one I really enjoyed.

@edarsenal Wow! I say someone likes The Ghost and Mrs Muir, I really liked it too. Was that your first time watching it? For me it was even better on the second watch as it's more about the nuances of the characters, and I picked up more on that on the second watch.

I seen Miss Tierney last night in another 1940s film, Tobacco Road, directed by John Ford...Gawd! what an annoying movie, one would have to see it to know what I mean. And Gene Tierney who had top billing along with Dana Andrews, only had a few minutes on screen and just a couple of lines.

Anybody else ever see that one?

@edarsenal Wow! I say someone likes The Ghost and Mrs Muir, I really liked it too. Was that your first time watching it? For me it was even better on the second watch as it's more about the nuances of the characters, and I picked up more on that on the second watch.

I seen Miss Tierney last night in another 1940s film, Tobacco Road, directed by John Ford...Gawd! what an annoying movie, one would have to see it to know what I mean. And Gene Tierney who had top billing along with Dana Andrews, only had a few minutes on screen and just a couple of lines.

Anybody else ever see that one?
I saw it about a year or so ago. Made me think of a bawdy Beverly Hillbillies lol and I was hoping for a little more of Gene as well.
I will applaud it for showing the conniving side, which you rarely saw when it came to those in hard times. I do remember a few scenes cracking me up. The way they surrounded the one guy with a bag of (turnips?)