1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Ghost and Mrs Muir

“You can be much more alone with other people than you are by yourself, even if it's people you love.”

This is a lovely film. The widowed Mrs Muir, played by the lovely Gene Tierney (notable from previous hall of fame favourites Laura and Leave Her to Heaven), rents a cottage haunted by the ghost of a grumpy Captain, played by Rex Harrison on fine grumpy form. Naturally they fall in love. But he’s dead, so things don’t work out for the best.

It’s a charming story, charmingly played - not too sweet or sentimental, with some amusing dialogue. It’s romantic but also haunting, humorous but also serious. As much as it’s a fantasy love story it’s also a story about loneliness and independence and it has some things to say about the expectations and role of a widowed woman in relation to her family and in-laws, society etc. in the time period.

I was thinking about what Camo said about why he wants her to stay - I think there are a number of possible explanations: that he's already attracted to her, that he feels sorry for her and wants her to stay in the house rather than having to move back with her family, that he recognises some kind of similarity in her. Liking her because she stands up to him might seem like a cliche, but when you're a ghost, finding someone who'll argue back rather than run screaming to the exorcist must be a challenge! I wonder if the explanations for why she can see him and others can't could be similar. Perhaps it's loneliness - on both sides - that makes the connection possible.

I was thinking about what Camo said about why he wants her to stay - I think there are a number of possible explanations: that he's already attracted to her, that he feels sorry for her and wants her to stay in the house rather than having to move back with her family, that he recognises some kind of similarity in her. Liking her because she stands up to him might seem like a cliche, but when you're a ghost, finding someone who'll argue back rather than run screaming to the exorcist must be a challenge! I wonder if the explanations for why she can see him and others can't could be similar. Perhaps it's loneliness - on both sides - that makes the connection possible.
I think these are all good possible explanations but i don't think the writers were thinking of any of it or there'd be some indications. I certainly don't think every thing in a movie needs to be explained but i think this film would've benefited from it (in my case at least, it probably won't bother anyone else) as it could have helped create a more meaningful relationship. Quite a large problem for me in a number of 40's Hollywood films has been in what i believe at least are shortcuts towards building a relationship, i think a big part of it may be that alot of the films i'm watching were the blockbusters of their time: watched by all sorts of people so there may have not been the need to properly build a relationship and the writers drew from a number of shortcuts like the 'love at first sight' cliche (which i've moaned about a number of times) and the montage skipping through the early stages of the relationship (this bothered me in particular in The Suspect). To me him suddenly wanting her to stay coupled with the abrupt change in his demeanor and the romantic music cheapened the whole thing for me, felt like they no longer had to develop the relationship as they had established in one quick moment (that to me felt empty) that Daniel likes her and there's the potential for romance here, their scenes following this had a different tone that i didn't think was earned nor felt natural.

In general i don't think the 40's are anymore guilty of this than any other decade, i just think a large amount of films i want to watch from then are. Also it's just me it probably doesn't bother anyone else.

In the end I'm glad I saw this for its beautiful cinematography, but sadly I struggled to get anything more out of it.
Much like my nomination in the 13th HoF, Beauty and the Beast is one of those films that I think a lot of people will find difficult to get into. At least you appreciated the visuals, which are the main reason why I nominated the film.

Nice start for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" !

It seems to be a trending film at the moment, so I'll probly rewatch it next, when I catch time. I cannot wait !

Afterwards, I'll focus more on the nominations I have left for 13th HoF.

Odd Man Out (1947)
Dir. Carol Reed)
Starring: James Mason, Kathleen Ryan, Robert Beatty

Even though the unnamed organization in Odd Man Out is clearly understood to be the IRA, the film doesn't get into any political issues. It instead uses the social unrest in the city to focus on the reactions of ordinary citizens to the situation at hand. Throughout the events of the film, every person Johnny comes into contact with has to decide whether helping him is worth being caught by the police, or if turning him in is worth the ire of the IRA. Each of the characters have their own motivations, with most of them falling into realistically self-centred behaviour.

However even with the kindest strangers, there is very little compassion for Johnny once his identity is revealed to each passer-by, with the exception of Kathleen, and any sympathy garnered for him by the audience. It's a race against time that doesn't need to focus on a clock, because we can see the dangers of each lost hour on Johnny's exhausted face as the manhunt continues. James Mason gives a great performance despite his lack of dialogue, and the film's slow, almost contemplative pace gives plenty of time to appreciate the spectacular cinematography.

Though gloomy, the photography is really beautiful, particularly the night time shots along the air raid shelters or down the empty city streets. There's a distorted perspective throughout most of the film, with an abundance of angled shots, and a lot of interesting camera work during the scenes when Johnny is mentally unstable. The sequence where he sees the faces of each character he's come into contact with over the course of the film in the spilt beer was especially interesting as well. While I didn't find the characters or story quite as engaging as I would have liked, I did thoroughly enjoy the visual style of the film, and the almost episodic nature of Johnny's encounters.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	31408  

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
In regards to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I always assumed that he allowed her to see him. And that he did so because he liked her and he trusted her.

I could be wrong, and even though I have seen it a few times, my last viewing was a long time ago now (at least I can't remember when that was). So I just may be remembering it all a little differently than it really is.

In regards to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I always assumed that he allowed her to see him. And that he did so because he liked her and he trusted her.

I could be wrong, and even though I have seen it a few times, my last viewing was a long time ago now (at least I can't remember when that was). So I just may be remembering it all a little differently than it really is.
I think it is, i guess i just don't find that explanation satisfying. Feels like a kind of cop-out Disney-esque waving of the wand reason to me. That also joins up with my problems with him asking for her to stay and how i thought was was a lazy shortcut, as there was also no reason to believe he liked her when he first revealed himself. Of course the latter is more understandable as it's a film about ghosts so even if i think it was lazy and not executed well you can just put it down to a spiritual connection. Then we also have him erasing her memory of him earlier which was the only reason it was mentioned that he only exists if she believes in him, and then we have her daughter randomly having talked to him when she was a child. Just think there was a fair amount of emptiness/laziness.

I say again i liked this film alot i just think for me at least it could have been alot better.

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

I liked it! I didn't think I would, but I did...It was a simple tale and sometimes those are the best. I'd never seen any version of Beauty and the Beast before. What struck me about this story is how similar it is to Cinderella. Does anybody know if one tale, lead to the other?

After the movie I watched a 26 minute documentary from 1997 with the two lead actors, Jean Marais, Josette Day and the cinematographer Henri Alekan. It was neat because they talked about the spectral effects that gives the film it's other-worldly feel...and to me that's one of the highlights of the movie, the way it made me feel I was in this magic place that existed outside of time. I liked the way the Beast's kingdom was both paradise and nightmarish. A neat juxtaposition of heaven and hell on earth.

The sets in the movie, both Belle's house and the Beast's hidden kingdom, were amazing, because they weren't sets at all (at least not the exterior shots). I learned in the documentary they were real places that the director and cinematographer had found in France. The costumes and set decorations were a feast for the eyes and that's important to me.

And what can I say about Belle (Josette Day) she was very lovely! nice eyebrows too... (I don't know why I noticed that about her but I did)....The Beast was played by an actor who looked rather animistic, Jean Marais. He was well cast in his duel role in the movie. As the Beast I liked the look they gave him, the stripes on the forehead were a nice touch too. Kudos to the makeup artist.

Geez I didn't mean to write this much...just one more thing, the director decided he wanted his film to look like a Dutch painting by Vermeer in the way the lighting and shadows looked. I think he succeed in that too. The score was perfect for the film as well.

I was never quite sure how Belle went from expecting to be killed by the Beast after she arrived, to coming to the living arrangement she had? It seemed like a scene was missing and should have came right after she arrives on the white horse.

Neat nom! and something I would have never seen it if wasn't for Cosmic.

And what can I say about Belle (Josette Day) she was very lovely! nice eyebrows too... (I don't know why I noticed that about her but I did)
I don't really notice nice eyebrows very often, but I certainly notice bad or oddly shaped ones, so I don't think pointing that out is too weird haha.

I'm glad you liked the film! As for your question regarding a potentially missing scene, I noticed on a couple of occasions that there were some abrupt cuts, so I had wondered if some footage might have gone missing as well, though I didn't find anything about it online. For the scene you mention in particular, I only know very little French so I'm not sure if the situation was more clearly explained in the French dialogue or not.

What struck me about this story is how similar it is to Cinderella. Does anybody know if one tale, lead to the other?
The wicked sisters definitely made me think of Cinderella, especially since they aren't in any other film adaptation of Beauty and the Beast that I've seen. I think that similarity is really just a coincidence, and don't see many parallels beyond them though.

This particular film was based on Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont's abridged version Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's Beauty and the Beast, which was originally published in 1740. The popular version of Cinderella was published by Charles Perrault in 1697, though some similar folk tales are much older. So if there was any borrowing of ideas between the two stories, Cinderella did actually come first.

I watched Ride the Pink Horse last night but it got late so I didn't post any thoughts on this. All I can say right away it wasn't bad and it has a cult movie character to it, even though sometimes incomprehensible.

I watched Ride the Pink Horse last night but it got late so I didn't post any thoughts on this. All I can say right away it wasn't bad and it has a cult movie character to it, even though sometimes incomprehensible.
Since the reveal of the noms, that has been the movie I'm most curious about, now even more so.

Ride the Pink Horse
SPOILERS BELOW

There's yet so much to discover in this period of time cinema. I've seen only the essential movies and of course I've skipped so many. That is why I'm only glad to join this HOF to discover some hidden gems.

We see this tough character, Mr Gagin, (excellently played by Robert Montgomery, actor and director) in search of Mr. Hugo encountering all kinds of colourful characters throughout, a federal copper, Marjorie, Pila, Pancho etc. Some of them want to help and some want to harm him. He's got a good life over there in San Pablo, drinking with locals, followed by a beautiful girl giving him a lucky charm to protect him and sleeping in Pancho's palace. (is this a fictitious town? I couldn't find it on Google maps - at least not near to Mexican border - I'm presuming this town is in US somewhere since Greyhound bus brought him there). Montgomery was great to play this tough, straightforward and sometimes rude character. He's looking for Mr. Hugo to revenge his friend Shorty that was killed by this rude and cruel mobster Mr. Hugo. At the same time a federal cop (or FBI agent) is also looking for him and trying to convince Gagin to drop his cause and let the justice prevail.

So even story is pretty straightforward and the movie might be pretty boring if not for very engaging dialog and the way it was performed. The movie also is more into the characters rather than into the story. We see Gagin that is tough but manages to be human, drinking and befriending locals, smiles and it is not at all that invincible how it may seem from the beginning of the movie. He got smashed up by Hugo's lackeys pretty badly. He was like a terminator at the beginning with no emotions or feelings, but then later able even to invite Pila for dinner.

The movie on the first viewing may seem a bit chaotic as my thought here are but I see a great potential. I feel this cult-ish touch to it. As if someone would watch some of the Jarmush's movies in 2050. It is a decent nom and definitely has widened my knowledge of 1940s cinema. Good nom @rauldc14 !

now this is interesting. I watched I Remember Mama and nobody commented on that yet. Now I watched Ride Pink Horse and I don't see any comments either Still nothing to read for me here

now this is interesting. I watched I Remember Mama and nobody commented on that yet. Now I watched Ride Pink Horse and I don't see any comments either Still nothing to read for me here
You got some strange mo jo going on...I'll see if I can help, I just picked up I Remember Mama DVD and will be watching it soon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
from reading past reviews of yours, I've enjoyed your insights and occasional personal story, and, specifically, since I've seen neither and don't want to read spoilers, I have to hold off until I see them.
Which is terrible since it's much, much later when I get to go back and read your reviews.

Hell, I need to find and watch The Ghost and Mrs. Muir so that I can join in on the question Camo posed. lol

Also looking forward to seeing Beauty and the Beast after stealing peeks at the reviews since I the story is a well known one and I'm pretty sure I'll be enjoying it when I do.

Also, also, enjoyed your write up of Odd Man Out, @CosmicRunaway and a lot of the imagery WAS really great to see in this movie - watched it last night. The faces in the beer suds was very well done.
I'll go into more detail when I write me review in the next day or so.

Beauty and the Beast

Thought i was on my way to feeling similarly to Jeff about this. Before the Beast comes into it i found it dull, i was finding it hard to stay interested and because of that i was overcompensating and focusing really hard on the subtitles so my mind didn't wander haha. It completely changed there though as it was like entering another world, i liked it quite a bit.

Visually it was amazing, i've said many times here that i'm not very good at explaining why something works for me visually but alot of the imagery had a strong effect on me here. It is hard to believe this is a 40's film and i'm not just saying that, the costumes, effects, sets (Citizen pointed out they weren't sets but i didn't know that while watching so i may as well keep this in), everything was glorious. Early i praised Day of Wrath visually creating a realistic feeling medieval setting, this definitely surpassed it in terms of vision and execution. Also with this being a fantasy they were able to explore more extraordinary things too. It had both a realistic feeling town and people then the as Citizen put it the otherworldly world Beast inhabited. Great stuff. Speaking of effects either i was tripping or during the scene when Belle first enters the castle she is walking along a long corridor where the curtains are blowing, did she look like she was not floating but not walking either, as if she was on an invisible conveyor belt? haha, it was the weirdest thing, i played the scene again and that's how it looked to me anyway. My biggest surprise may have been The Beasts design, from the posters i thought he was going to look really cheap and ridiculous; i kind of expected me not being able to take him seriously ruining alot of scenes, but not only was that not the case i actually think his look added to the film. He is a big hairy animal-human hybrid basically so he of course looks menacing, but he also had a sympathetic look which obviously was vital for the story to work. I first noticed it when the father was running home and the beast pops out at a tree to watch him go, i couldn't put my finger on what it was at first then i thought while all of his facial features played a part more than anything for me oddly it was his teeth. I'm not sure if i can explain properly why as of course sharp fangs shouldn't indicate warmth but they did for me, and i think the Disney version may have taken from this as i remember his fangs playing a big part in endearing me to him once he started trying to endear himself to Belle. Very odd thing i know, it may have been because it gave off the impression that he was biting his bottom lip. As well as that the actors passionate delivery and just the french language played a major part in his transformation.

Loved the music as well, although i did think a few times it was innappropriately placed; the scene with Belle's father walking around outside the Beasts castle has this big booming score; sounds like something you'd hear at the end of an old film before the credits come up. I thought the music in that scene was great i just don't think it actually suited the scene. Similarly Belle first riding towards The Beasts castle had triumphant sounding music that made no sense at all, it only lasted maybe 10-20 seconds but surely it should have been creepy or something as at this point The Beast is evil and Belle is going to become his prisoner, odd choice using music that sounds like she just won a battle haha. I'm not really complaining here for the record when it happened i found it funny more than anything and it was only a couple of times (maybe just those two i don't remember), the majority of the time it perfectly suited and often made the scenes.

My biggest problem was actually the acting, it was a bit too threatical for me at times. My favourite was actually The Beast because he is a straight up impossible fantasy character so i think it was easier for me to accept and in some way i expected him to be over the top, the others were a bit too much for me at times though. During the more low-key calmer scenes they were fine often good but anything dramatic usually didn't work well for me and often brought scenes down a bit. For example: the scene where Belle first meets The Beast, i thought that was great she was winding around the castle then the grounds everything was pretty creepy and tense then The Beasts entrance was great, Belle fainting the way she did was too much for me though, kind of took me out of it. There was a fair amount of that sadly, i do think it suits this big fantasy film so it's more of a problem of mine than the films i feel.

The acting and the first 30 minutes or however long it was before The Beast turned up stopped this from becoming a favourite, i also think the visuals, music, and just general feel of the film was far above the story or the characters chemistry, but that's not a bad thing as those elements were spectacular. I do think this was a better film than how much i liked it, i did like it quite a bit though. Thanks for nominating Cosmic.

Speaking of effects either i was tripping or during the scene when Belle first enters the castle she is walking along a long corridor where the curtains are blowing, did she look like she was not floating but not walking either, as if she was on an invisible conveyor belt? haha, it was the weirdest thing, i played the scene again and that's how it looked to me anyway.
I did the exact same thing! I watched that scene over several times, looking for a rope as it looked like she was on a wheeled platform. But I didn't see a rope.

Very cool looking scene, she just floats right down the hall.

I'm not sure if that smooth glide down the hallway was some sort of dance technique (Josette Day was a ballet dancer), or if she was standing on something unseen. When she stops moving, I noticed a slight dip downwards, as if she had been en pointe and changed to standing flat, or had stepped off a device hidden under her long dress.

I didn't know she was a ballet dancer, but I think what you said explained it (the ballet part). I wonder if she could have been walking on her toes...Dégagé Dégagé...no I didn't know that term I googled it.

Someone clearly didn't read my write-up for the film then.

(Though really it was just a small line in parenthesis so even if you did read it, that info could easily be missed haha.)