Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Big Eyes (2014)

I hate Waltz. I like Adams. This story did not have to be told. Without his efforts, there would be no story to tell. Both were responsible for the con. He knew what he wanted and went after it. She needed a couple of divorces and to become a Jehovah's Witness, in order to learn right from wrong, how to stick up for herself and be happy. Talk about being gullible.

Silence of the Lambs (1991) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

No Way to Treat a Lady (1968)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I need to watch this, even though a friend completely spoilered it for me. Will try and check it soon.
This happened to me to except it was The Simpsons that ruined it for me of all things haha. That's the only reason i've never watched it.

Captain Fantastic - 7/10

Thanks for the recommendation, HOF

If you want to post a review or whatever in the Hall of Fame thread i'll put it in this post so people can read it once they've watched it, like i did with JayDee's - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...21#post1683421

Up to you.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I would, if I had a lot to say.. Some of my critique is within the movie, contradictions. I thought it was corny to make everything sound like a mission.

Thanks though!

Tremors, i watched it a few nites ago. So funny with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward leading their friends to safety as giant underground worms are on the loose!

movies can be okay...
Tikkun (2015):

Tikkun follows an ultra-orthodox scholar who is trying to find the inner truth about himself as a believer, after experiencing death itself. I physically can't rate this film until I watch it again, because I'm not even sure if I like it or not...I'm not even sure about what I even watched. It is very challenging and complicated at times, and I still have to figure out how much of it is actually art, and how much of it is just some pretentious bullocks.
An eerie and uncomfortable feeling was crawling under my skin throughout this whole experience, it is genuinely psychologically disturbing, it isn't perfect though, its most substantial flaw is easily the cheap looking CGI, but that is understandable and forgiveable considering the budget.
I can't really recommend this to just anyone though, it kinda felt like a mix between Antichrist and Synecdoche, New York, but without their huge budgets.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Shaun of the Dead (2004) -

I'd like to thank ITV for showing this and Hot Fuzz every other week I never have to purchase them on DVD

Welcome to the human race...
Free Fire -
, maybe

Has its moments, but mostly comes across as an impressively pointless and clumsily-executed pile of wasted potential.

A Woman Under The Influence - 10/10

Below are questions for those who have seen it, along with a lot of my observations with spoilers obviously.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
Questions for those who have seen it...
-Did Carson Cross rape Mabel? Not only was she piss drunk, but he forced himself on her, and then it fades out. It might be a reason why she thinks he's Nick in the morning, or because he's the only other guy to have slept in the same bed.. Maybe it also shows how little she sees of Nick (especially in a fragile state of mind).. Does anyone else find it extra conformist when Carson doesn't mind raping Mabel, but when he finds out she is involved, he makes it seems like THAT is where he draws the line, even though she says "Get off me" "Cut that out" over and over..

(also, when Carson introduces himself, Mabel says "I know" but he seems dumbfounded.. Does he just chase women since he's loaded with money? He talks to himself saying he should know better, "Divorced twice")

-Does anyone doubt that Nick is the really dangerous guy?

-When the kids temporarily come back with their grandma.. As they leave, Mabel whispers (while she's looking at the window) --

-Is "Dr" Zephyr the worst? He's causing so many problems with his deceptive passive-aggressive threats, as he does it with a smile, soft pace.. After she comes back, he's always making suggestions, and then when Nick's mom proposes something immediately, he'll echo her..

-Nick's mom.... In the first half, before she's committed, SHE is the bother. When she comes back, for the most part, she's the one who handles it all. Nick thinks of a party (silly idea) and his mom tells him "Coca-Cola?" -- after Nick says they don't have drinks "It's a party, right?" - I think he depends on his mother too much for approval, but constantly seeking society's approval... He only seems to care about appearances, what co-workers might be talking about. And then when one guy is NOT, he's accused of being a silent ******** (and then the guy is injured).

-"No one's gonna get pneumonia when I'M the father" -- that's all that counts, eh?.....

Mabel goes through the trouble to have her mom takes the kids, even though it makes her anxious. At work, Nick is overworked (a big source of trouble) and feels Mabel is mad at him, because she's been left alone. The minute a co-worker asks if she'd climb the walls (Nick cancels their date night after the city needs him after a water mane breaks), he's the first to come at her (or his) defense.. "She cooks, she cleans, takes her of the kids, what's crazy about that?" and then when the co-worker tosses it aside, Nick plays contrarian and says "She could get hit by a car!"

Spaghetti Dinner
-After him breaking their date night (which is probably once a year anyway it seems), the first thing he does is bring 10 guys and tells his wife they are hungry. Mabel innocently makes a guy or two uncomfortable because of her curiosity and playfulness, but Nick is the one who once again loses his temper, telling her to sit her ass down - and you see that familiar look of sadness on her face.... Things are interrupted when Nick's mother calls, complaining of a pain, but won't see the doctor, so she's probably just lonely, wanting his attention, I love the part on the phone when Nick says "Do you want me to bring Mabel?" and then we find she didn't. And Mabel lets her guests know she doesn't care for his mom...When they leave, Mabel is frustrated, and to alleviate the tension, Nick says "You didn't do anything wrong" - and then she's back to smiling, constantly seeking his approval. She goes on to bed "Nick, I'll do whatever you want. I can be whoever you want me to be." and goes on...

-When Mabel picks up the kids at school, she doesn't have a watch, so she asks a lady with a watch. The woman (around her age) is cold, and just walks past, just as the others -- no one wants to help her. It angered me when I first saw it, since I think there is a loss of humanization, and Mabel expresses her angry for a few seconds until the bus arrives. She even thanks the bus driver -- which someone (who saw this with me a few years ago) thought THAT was weird.... When they get home, Mabel asks her kids what they think of her. "Am I mean?" she asks. Her oldest child says "You're nice, pretty, and nervous"... I also think with all the timely stuff that happens causes her anxiety to be elevated -- so she dances like a swan -- big deal, that's considered "crazy" in this movie, in 1974.

-Mr. Jansen and the Party... You can tell from the start he wants to drop his much younger kids and leave. Mabel tries to make everyone happy, and even says "Are you uncomfortable?" after he says he has things to do... Mr. Jansen smiles and comes in.. To make him happy, she suggests the children do a rendition of "Swan Lake" (since it was on the radio).. "Mr. Jansen, they just DIED for you!" (since he isn't amused). And then Harold Jansen tells Mabel he's not sure if he should leave his kids with her.... Again, phone interruption. Nick calls and probably drops everything to come home after hearing there is a Mister at their house.... Like life, you can come in at a random point and things aren't what they seem to be. Maria is running around naked, and when Grandma won't leave her alone with the questioning, she assumes and brings up "Mommy?" and of course the 2-yr old is going to say whatever it takes to escape the interrogation. And then Nick sees Harold in a bedroom, and Nick knocks Mabel out and then starts a fight with Harold.. Normal, eh?

Then Nick calls Dr. Zephyr, and his flaky behavior causes Mabel to be paranoid, and then Nick's mother goes off and off.. Mabel doesn't help the situation by implying and asking if morphine is a drug, then brings up Vitamin C as a "fellow pill". I saw her drink once, as she waited for Nick... They all seem to be teaming up against Mabel, and this gets to her obviously. I was always surprised that Nick doesn't do anything when his mother says "You had a man in this house last night" and goes on to say all the stories Nick tells his mother about Mabel, how she's empty inside.

Right before she's committed, Mabel tells "We're a team" and then mentions getting pregnant, and how she said how the marriage would work, since she was already pregnant.... And that's probably how this all started... Nick was probably a jock in high school (there are trophies, and the kids are too young) and Mabel is very pretty.. Life is circumstantial, and when the libido is high, things happen -- they had sex, she got pregnant, and they were sorta stuck with each other.. Another reason I think Nick was quick to call to have her committed. Yeah, he's frustrated, but it's probably being overworked, but of course, he takes it out on whoever is around.

On Day 1 of watching the kids, the first thing he does is take them out of school, scaring the principal as well... He brings a friend from work, and takes them to the beach. He seems to yell at them, in my words it seems like "You kids will have fun if I have to kill you all"... To make his life easier, and so his kids can "sleep like rocks" he lets them all have beer, and they get sick.. I love the moment when they are in bed, dizzy. He is alone for the first night, and wants companionship, and tries and tries, but won't get it, until his daughter finally understands and suggests he lay down next to her in a moment in the conscience of a child..

6 Months Laters
-Inviting a bunch of people, including one guy (Joe Namath-look-a-like) who is only looking to get laid (I don't know anyone here, don't know the WIVES)... But Nick's mother does the correcting, and the dirty work... When Mabel asks to see the kids, Nick and Dr. Zephyr kinda object due to possible excitement. When Nick's mother says "She can see them" she does. Even later on when Mabel asks Nick something, after saying no, she asks his mother, the real boss.... In the next scene, Mabel asks politely if they can leave, so she can go to bed. She even asks again, saying she can't talk with everyone there... Finally, in desperation, she asks if her father will stand up for her. He physically gets up, not understanding until Mabel's mother tells him.. We also see a lot of hostility between Mabels' father and Nick, though most of it is non-verbal.. Again, Nick is yelling at everyone to be normal, and to Mabel in private "BE YOURSELF"

-Anyone notice that every time Mabel asks Nick if he loves her, he won't answer. The only time he says it is when he wants her committed and another time he wants to coerce her into doing what he wants, and he knows how to take advantage of the situation by using "love".

(P.S. - During the movie, Nick threatens to kill everyone in sight at least 3-4 times)

Here's the full movie Criterion released...

I have a week off, so I got up early to have a binge movie day. Here is what I watched today so far. Taking a break for the second round of the NFL Draft.

A film that I has been long overdue for a watch. And it did not disappoint.

Been sitting in my to watch pile for too long. I loved the style and themes. From the voice over, themes of loneliness and being alone, the black and white cinematography, and the crime and urban grit angle; fantastic look at a hit man.

Pretty damn good Noir.

Pretty good murder mystery from Raymond Chandler. It should be on the watch list of anyone for the 40’s list.

A practice film for Pink Flamingos. Just as offensive, but certain bits are over done and too long. And the film probably should have ended 10 minutes earlier. Say what you want about Pink Flamingos, it does what Multiple Maniacs tried to do and did it so much better. Still worth seeing by any fan of John Waters.

"The Blue Dahlia" is a great one!

Lots of slick dialogue, economic, but still says a lot.... I especially love what Alan Ladd says after getting out of the car.. "Every guy has dreamed of you... it's just finding you" (paraphrase)

A Woman Under The Influence - 10/10

Below are questions for those who have seen it, along with a lot of my observations with spoilers obviously.
Lots of great observations, Matt. I really need to see this again. This and "Husbands" are on my "rewatch" list.

The truth is in here
Paper Towns

Quentin has an okay life. He has good friends, he's doing well in school and he hasn't had to go through any particular hardships. He did have a crush on a girl who stopped talking to him, but got over it. Until one night when she takes him on an adventure which has him feeling more about her than ever...

I went into this movie with mild hopes. The premise intrigued me, and I remembered The Longest Engagement, an absolutely excellent romantic mystery drama which had everything I could have asked for.

With this one, it did have some of it but not all.

I'll get to what I liked about it ar first, because I do have a lot of good things to say about it. Even though this movie is flawed, it's still kinda underrated. The characters are likable, especially Quentin. Nat Wolff who played him also was in another teen drama the year before (which I hear is very solid), and I thought he was the best in the movie. Like sure, he got some really cheesy dialogue sometimes, but he managed to do the best even with those. I think out of everyone he showed the most emotional range and felt very realistic in how he talked and how he depicted several mental states. Q's (it's his nickname) friends are very charming and instead of your typical annoying teen friends you see in movies they were genuinely nice and dare I say it, loving. The two girls who get on the road trip are interesting in their own ways too. Now of course, the second most important person to talk about. First off, Cara Delevigne was pretty good in the role. She didn't quite match up to Wolff, but had just the right amount of devious and enchanting presence at the same time needed. I'll get more into her character later on, since that's another story.

The story is pretty fine. It's after all what peaked my interest in the first place. The plot however not so much. It kinda feels like the movie drags on sometimes, with short stops which kinda makes it stand still. After a whole it does get going again, but there was maybe at least 10 minutes in the middle or so where I feel like it didn't really go anywhere. But you know, it's still a nice little road trip adventure, and I enjoy seeing all these friends interact with each other. The best dialogue comes from when they are just talking casually like buddies do.

The directing was pretty decent. I wouldn't say it blew me away, but some scenes felt pretty atmospheric, like when Quentin and Margo are dancing on the highest floor of a tower looking at the view.

There are some funny moments occassionally. They won't make you laugh out loud, this is not a comedy. But there's a good amount of chuckles or smileworthy moments, mostly from Dan.

The music is very bland, sad to say. I could predict pretty much every cue. The opening tune was pretty nice however.

Here are my problems with Paper Towns.

There were a couple of clichés you see in teen movies that felt a bit hamfisted. Like the importance of friendship, how you are doing something for the last time in high school (this was pointed out very explicitly), can't miss the prom yaddayadda. What is it with teen movies and making proms such a huge deal? They are fun, but it's not the worst thing in the world if you miss it. Besides, Quentin's friends still had girlfriends at least who they can hang out with any time they want. And yet they are extremely antsy for the prom like it's the biggest thing ever, instead of staying like friends and helping Quentin out. I don't know, it's just something we've seen a million times.

In the beginning, Margo is right away a huge deal. So why couldn’t we get more time establishing her and Quentin's friendship? The scenes where they connected were nice, but before that particular night (which trailers really liked to show) we could have gotten at least a few minutes more of development.

And finally, the ending.
WARNING: spoilers below
I know what you are thinking. "Oh, a movie doesn't always have a happy ending". Well you're right, but it's not about a happy or a sad ending. It's about an ending which makes sense and feels right in the context of the movie. This is what really doesn't make sense: Margo sends all these clues, like "do this, go here". And he does (although he doesn't find her where he expected her to be). But here's the thing. Apparently they weren't clues he was supposed to follow! DUDE. WHAT THE **** DID YOU EXPECT? You give this guy a time of his life, teaches him lessons about getting out of his comfort zone, and when he finally finds you, you ask what the hell he's doing there in a very condenscending manner. Well duh, he followed you because you made it look like he was supposed to! It just doesn't make any sense at all. And still, when she's about to go again, she asks if he wants to come with her. WHAT? You didn't even want him to find you! And now she still wants him by her side. Look, she's not in love with him. I understand. But they are still friends, aren't they? Quentin's lack of feelings when going back first confused me, but then it made sense. She just tricked him, of course he shouldn't have any reason to care about her. This is not some melancholic meaningful ending, it's pure manipulation.

Well, crap. This is why I don't like overthinking movies (you can probably notice this review doesn't have planning behind it, I'm just writing as I go along). I was gonna give it a 7, but that ending makes it more worth a 6 instead. And come to think of it, it's not even that underrated either. The ending makes this a disappointment.