The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
@SilentVamp

First off, good for you for having good netiquette and not spoiling. Kudos.

Second and this is tongue in cheek

Nick: You're so analytical! Sometimes you just have to let art... flow... over you.
The Big Chill.

Bomb.
WARNING: spoilers below
That was the US Embassy. He took his clothes off because it was a heatwave, and gave him the gag of wrpping a towel/shirt around his head and getting burnt on his stomach and needing an icepak which looked like a bomb, plus he couldnt speak so sounded and looked like a foreigner. This was a pisstake of what was going on in the world with islamophobia.

Beatbox. I posted about this earlier but you might have missed it. Tropfest uses a key word every year. That year the word was 'key'. The film maker had to make key stand out, thus the singsongey Mon Key.

Dust - I dont lock my windows, doors or car when I'm home alone. My Dad even used to leave his keys in the ignition. I think you missed the point of the creepiness in that short. Might be worth a rewatch.

Feast - I thought he was cute as well. Why ws he given so much food? Because lonely and sad people overcompensate by stuffing their pets with food.

Paperman - yeh I thought it was charming.

Spider - because some people are like that, and as Camo said, it's a recurring theme in his shorts.

Giant God Warrior - I liked this as well.

POE - yeh very powerful, and always relevant.

Flankers is really good - I hope you like it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Spider

WARNING: "this gets its own review because I wanted this to be fresh from seeing it" spoilers below
Talk about your double WHAMMYs!! Holy crap!
I gotta say, that is some VERY good scripting to be able to blind-side you so very very well on the first surprise.
And I think I was even MORE surprised by the second one since I thought there may be some kind of repercussions, which is why it didn't end with the first surprise. Though, in a way, you can say that there WERE repercussions.

WARNING: "Oh, and Camo," spoilers below
You. . . sick, twisted b@stard!! You f@cking ROCK!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Is anyone else having a problem with the sound in the link for "A Dog's Life"? It starts out okay, but the sound stops about 10 minutes into the video, and the rest of the video is completely silent.

There are a bunch of links on YouTube, but they're all shorter than the link in the first post. Does anyone have a better link for "A Dog's Life"?

Come very late for this :') again
____
Bomb (Aleister Grierson, 2005)

it's so funny. the "things" just thrown all the way and at first, its feel randomly, make me cliche-lly scratching my nose where all of those things will lead to -title related- the "unforeseen" event

____
Dust (Ben Ockrent, Jake Russel, 2013)

the creepy-ness was well build and it got tense enough, even assuming there will be "safe" twist or revelation. Only when "that" happen, I just didn't buy the joke or much joy out of it - Nice though to see alan rick man gettin'...

____
Feast (Patrick Osborne, 2014)

Far from being bad, obviously. Idk, only this occasion I just feel this type of so sweet story just kind of, bore me. kinda remind me with recent pixar (other) works

____
Paperman (John Kars, 2012)

to see cg animated on silent black&white + bonus the red lip, it's unique in someway - but overall it's just fell short like feast - By comparison, story-wise, it was least engaging to follow - mine problem

____
Spider (Nash Edgerton, 2007)

Hahaha ,it shocked me at the same Time I bitterly laugh at it :'D

And I never knew b4 joel edgerton have -edited- big bro..

____
Animal Beatbox (Damon Gameux, 2011)

this amusing at first only in matter of seconds I get burnout already

____
Flankers (Justin Oakey, 2014)

It sort of remind me with the vibe of other movies , hmmm leviathan intersect with m-b-t-s

To me, personally, The irish(?) Accent kinda hard to follow what is the conflict about - but seems the story (+ characters) was not compelling enough per se - it seems want to share some drama in it -

____
The Cameraman's Revenge (Ladislav
Starevich, 1912)

these wow me. I mean it's just simple and clumsy~whimsical story but how it executed in such creative way, put an eternal impression

____
The Ventriloquist (Benjamin Leavitt, 2012)

Charming enough as k. spacey nailed the job . I just putting off by minor thing. yeah the doll just plain creepy to me xD - those thing, the design, the voice, it irritate character - and how it resolute and affect the story overall - but it had the jokes tho' :'D

Flankers (Justin Oakey, 2014)

It sort of remind me with the vibe of other movies , hmmm leviathan intersect with m-b-t-s
Interesting. I never thought of it that way, but I can totally see it. They have some similar tones.

To me, personally, The irish(?) Accent kinda hard to follow what is the conflict about
They're Newfoundland accents, but Irish was a good guess haha. Newfoundland was settled mainly by the Irish and English, with some Scottish coming later, so the regional dialects here are fairly similar.

Funnily enough, when I watched Flankers I thought that the accents would be pretty easy to understand, at least in comparison to some other outport dialects from around here. I knew some of the terminology and colloquial phrases might be confusing though. But if anyone literally cannot understand some of what is being said, just give me the time stamps for the dialogue in question and I can type it out for you (and give a proper English language translation if necessary haha).

Interesting. I never thought of it that way, but I can totally see it. They have some similar tones.
haha idk, it's just, popped out during the moment i watched it. even i wonder for a while if it not kenneth lonergan related xD

They're Newfoundland accents, but Irish was a good guess haha. Newfoundland was settled mainly by the Irish and English, with some Scottish coming later, so the regional dialects here are fairly similar.
i see, i can feel this kind of rural place or community but i never knew that before

Funnily enough, when I watched Flankers I thought that the accents would be pretty easy to understand, at least in comparison to some other outport dialects from around here. I knew some of the terminology and colloquial phrases might be confusing though. But if anyone literally cannot understand some of what is being said, just give me the time stamps for the dialogue in question and I can type it out for you (and give a proper English language translation if necessary haha).
well yeah , unfortunately english in general is not my first or evn 2nd language i suppose, it could take time to me as look like there's no sub available as i'll rewatched it ofc - i'll ask you when the came by for fully grasp it (y) hehe

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
roller rink for me too
Maybe it is a regional thing like CR was saying.

@Silent Vamp's most consistent song played at the rink, for me it was Grand Funk's version of Locomotion.
With that statement, I thought for sure you would've been the one to nominate that in the song tournament.

Also, about the windows with no curtains and unlocked glass doors bothering you in movies; I'm the very same way with people leaving their headlights on, every single d@mn time! They turn off the engine, they shut doors, keys in hand. . . lights on! WTF! Drives me nuts.
Tell me about it! I was watching that show on AMC called The Son. And I won't say what was happening, but the guy just did that on there this past week, which made me have to talk back to the TV out of disgust with his actions.

And @CosmicRunaway is RIGHT, you're supposed to ice skate on frozen ponds, not indoors. Hell, even the ice rink they built in downtown Detroit is outside.
How long is that one open? Ours - the outdoor one - is only open during the very Winter months. But we do have a year-round indoor one, too.

Bomb.
That was the US Embassy. He took his clothes off because it was a heatwave, and gave him the gag of wrpping a towel/shirt around his head and getting burnt on his stomach and needing an icepak which looked like a bomb, plus he couldnt speak so sounded and looked like a foreigner. This was a pisstake of what was going on in the world with islamophobia.
I understood everything. I figured when those Secret Service sort of guys were standing there that it was going to be something connected to someone political, and when I saw the flag I figured it was the Embassy. I also understood everything else that happened in the film. I just didn't understand why he took all of his clothes off to eventually end up the way that he did. If it was a heatwave, OK. But where in 3 minutes did I miss that fact? I don't know where I looked. I don't know what my mind wandered off to. All I know is his car broke down and then he was stripping. So if there is that one tiny bit I missed, I am curious to know when the moment was that let us know it was a heatwave.
Of course, I could always watch it again to see what I somehow stupidly missed.

Beatbox. I posted about this earlier but you might have missed it. Tropfest uses a key word every year. That year the word was 'key'. The film maker had to make key stand out, thus the singsongey Mon Key.
Oh, OK. Yeah, I did miss that post. I get it now.

Dust - I dont lock my windows, doors or car when I'm home alone. My Dad even used to leave his keys in the ignition. I think you missed the point of the creepiness in that short. Might be worth a rewatch.
I 100% got the point of the creepiness of it. Maybe it is just a case of having seen so many films with that sort of thing going on that it isn't as creepy to me as it should be to me. It is more frustrating than creepy. Although, I think the twist makes up for it. But as far as locking my own windows and so on, I am too paranoid and wary of people to just leave things unlocked. And I have to use my shades/curtains so that nobody can see in the house at night. I just don't like the thought of any of that. But then again, as I said, I have seen a lot of films with that angle. So maybe that is what helps my paranoia.

Feast - I thought he was cute as well. Why ws he given so much food? Because lonely and sad people overcompensate by stuffing their pets with food.
Lonely people really do that with their pets? Interesting. I never would've thought to do something like that. I can see overcompensating yourself with food but I don't know why they would do that to their pet.

Spider - because some people are like that, and as Camo said, it's a recurring theme in his shorts.
And I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for people like that. I will look into his other films because this one really made me curious about them.

Bomb - Tropfest takes places in Sydney in February each year which is a very stinky hot and humid month so it's probably just implied; I dont think you stupidly missed anything, but I think more to the point, why did he take all his clothes off? Because he's a bogan driving a shtty car with the number plate NOFATCHIKS. He's just a garden variety tool, and without that sequence of clownish acts there wouldnt be the punchline.

Dust I think the creepiness is more
not knowing what the guys intentions were right up until he was cuddling the little girl. That really creeped me out then I thought maybe he's her Dad and the parents are divorced, and then BOOM

Feast - hellz yeah, some sure do, so that was my take on it because he was giving him human food, and
once she's on the scene poor dog has to go on a dog food diet.

Spide - I have zero tolerance for that kind of thing as well and if my husband did that the same thing would have happened to me. I thought it was really well done, though. Check his other short Bear. Camo suggested it to me. The other one I saw recently is really good but not the same theme (and I've forgotten the name)

Bomb - Tropfest takes places in Sydney in February each year which is a very stinky hot and humid month so it's probably just implied; I dont think you stupidly missed anything, but I think more to the point, why did he take all his clothes off? Because he's a bogan driving a shtty car with the number plate NOFATCHIKS. He's just a garden variety tool, and without that sequence of clownish acts there wouldnt be the punchline.
I had to look up the definition of "bogan". Basically he's the same sort of guy like I saw once in the middle of nowhere that was driving with one hand AND one foot hanging out the window. People like that.... I still can't figure out how he managed to do it.

Dust I think the creepiness is more
not knowing what the guys intentions were right up until he was cuddling the little girl. That really creeped me out then I thought maybe he's her Dad and the parents are divorced, and then BOOM
It went through my mind that he was maybe related to her, too, but then I figured the mother would've known who he was, and that she would've taken more notice of him. I was wondering why she wasn't reacting to this man at all who was following them. The little girl saw him, right? I think it was when she and her mother were going to cross the street. Maybe only kids would be able to see him. Yes, the mom heard the noise he made, but she may not have been able to actually see him, which is why, I am assuming, she didn't take notice of the fact that he was following them.

Check his other short Bear. Camo suggested it to me. The other one I saw recently is really good but not the same theme (and I've forgotten the name)
Will do.

LOL Bogan is just your ordinary redneck tool. They're invading the planet.

Yeh with Dust, I dont think the mum saw him. Not sure if that's because she was off with the faeries crossing the road or she wasnt meant to see him. I found the whole thing very clever. nd dayum, I miss Rickman.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
With that statement, I thought for sure you would've been the one to nominate that in the song tournament.
the temptation WAS there to nominate Loco-motion but I wanted to go with one of their lesser, but equally great songs.

Tell me about it! I was watching that show on AMC called The Son. And I won't say what was happening, but the guy just did that on there this past week, which made me have to talk back to the TV out of disgust with his actions.
I completely feel ya. I had to stop yelling, was gonna blow blood vessel at some point, it happened so much.We started cracking jokes about them leaving their lights on instead. Still drove me nuts though.
How long is that one open? Ours - the outdoor one - is only open during the very Winter months. But we do have a year-round indoor one, too.
It's set up in the very hub of all the main streets that meet downtown and they have it as an ice rink for about 5 months of the year and then it serves as a park for festivals and what have you.
I've not done the ice rink bit. Would like to when they do their Winter Festival. Big party. Music, food, and they tent up the whole area and use heaters. Heard a lot of great things about it.

Pop Goes The Easel (1935)
Dir. Del Lord

I've been putting off watching this because I really do not like the Three Stooges at all. I don't find them even remotely funny, and unfortunately Pop Goes the Easel did nothing to change that opinion. It was interesting to see them in colour, since I wasn't expecting a colourized version at all. However the novelty quickly wore off, and I sat here, unimpressed, waiting for it to end. I know a lot of people really love those guys, but it's just not my cup of tea.

The Rink (1916)
Dir. Charlie Chaplin

Since I don't like the slapstick in The Three Stooges, you'd probably assume that I'm also not a fan of Chaplin's work, but that's not the case. Perhaps it's simply because Chaplin is much more charming than either of the other three, but whenever the Tramp does something dickish to another character, it's usually amusing instead of coming across as mean-spirited, which is the biggest problem I have with the Stooges. That said, there were some parts in the restaurant I thought were a bit much, but luckily the action moved to the rink and more than made up for it. All of the roller skating scenes were very well choreographed, excellently performed, and just plain fun to watch. I think the funniest thing in the whole film was everyone's facial expressions just before the “mum's the word” card though. Priceless.

I dont like them either, and I have a brother who's inlove with them and bombards me on fb with videos. I want to smack him in the nose.

I'm glad I'm not the only one then.
You were braver than me to mention it, Cos.

Brave, or foolish? Only time (and everyone else's responses) will tell haha.
LOL. I shall white knight you. I dont even know who nom'd it. Please be kind to the fair damsels.

Vamp nominated it.
Vamp wont hurt us, Cos.

Vamp nominated it.
Vamp wont hurt us, Cos.
No, I won't hurt any of you. But @edarsenal might. After all, he is the one who nominated it.

If I were going to nominate a Three Stooges film, it would've been this one, anyway.

Edar loves me so I have no fear now.

I'm going to watch this next to appease his potentially hurt feels.