Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I wish Jack could get some more serious roles too, because like Jim Carrey I think he can pull off drama well.
I said that, too, in my review that I think he is a good dramatic actor. I would really like to see him in more films with less comedy to see how good his performances could be.

I really, liked School of Rock, what a fun movie!
I was hoping you would like it. I thought maybe you would. I still don't know why I hated it so much when I first saw it. It almost felt like the film was just a waste of my time. That was how much I hated it. But when I watched it this time around, I loved it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Black did a very good, serious role in Bernie. I was very pleasantly surprised by that one.

I thought Jack Black was in a dramatic film, but I couldn't think of the name of it. I have never seen it, of course, but isn't Bernie based on a true story?

actually saw it and was pleasantly surprised by it. It is based on a true story, and if I remember correctly, they do little tv interviews with people during the movie and supposedly they are not actors, but people FROM the area. Which I thought was kinda cool.

The character Jack plays isn't someone out of his realm and there were quite a number of spots where I saw Jack Black while at the same time he DID do a very good job in the movie and it IS worthwhile.

Alright then. I will put that one on my to-watch list now. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get a chance to watch it.

VERY cool! I actually researched the actual incident but they really do a great job if you go in blind and discover it all, which you may enjoy more.

finally got a chance to compliment/comment on your reviews @Silent Vamp;

Idolmaker didn't know too much about this one either except that it was about the man BEHIND the music, so, very cool to learn who the two singers were representing and enjoyed the lil tidbits about them and the script. Very nice.

Sweet Dreams It can be hard to get invested in a movie when you have little interest in the subject of said movie. I knew little except from my room mate who loves her and she didn't know too much of her personal history except that she was a "tough ole girl" so, for me, it was intriguing to see. Especially with two people I'm a fan of: Lange and Harris.

The Wall You. Are dead to me.

LOL just kidding. No worries and looking forward to your reivew of Amadeus.

Eddie and the Cruisers I also haven't seen this though I won't be letting the hype influence me since you weren't the first person to remark on such. I actually tried watching this online and the link wasn't all that great and got about 20 min. I am curious to see this but, again, won't let the hype sway me on it.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny I AM very glad to hear you enjoyed this. YAY

School of Rock Out of curiosity, did you see this before or after Tenacious D? I'm a bit intrigued to see how this fares for me. Been ages since I last saw it.

Jazz Singer Haven't seen this since the eighties and remember loving the songs. It was watching this that I first heard "Love on the Rocks" and it became a favorite from him. I do remember a few slow spots as well. Still, should be a fun watch all the same.

Coal Miner’s Daughter Sorry to hear it was just OK for you. I had forgotten that Crystal Gale was Loretta Lynn's lil sister! I remember her singing "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" with hair that went on and on like a wedding train! lol

The Buddy Holly Story really enjoyed seeing the schedule you posted and I know what you mean about that having a feeling you shouldn't do something and what happens when you do. . .

The Commitments Count me as one who enjoyed this. The music hit this Detroit/Motown boy where he lives YAY

Ray Glad to hear you enjoyed this. Haven't seen it and have a copy from my library and trying to find the time to watch it.

BRAVO, SV on ALL OF THEM!!

We've seen Jack Black in an Hof before, anyone what to take a guess as to which one and what movie?
I'm actually going to try to do this WITHOUT cheating . . . was there an HoF with monsters? IF so, I'd go with King Kong

I'm actually going to try to do this WITHOUT cheating . . . was there an HoF with monsters? IF so, I'd go with King Kong
Nope you're wrong It was a main Hof and the movie was a serious drama. Jack Black had a smaller role.

Nope you're wrong It was a main Hof and the movie was a serious drama. Jack Black had a smaller role.
I think it was Dead Man Walking, right?

@edarsenal, I will comment on your comments tomorrow. Well, it is midnight right now. So I suppose I should really say that I will get to them later today. By the way, what did you want to say about The Commitments? I know you wanted to bring something up about the characters - or I think some of the situations that they were in - but you wanted to wait until others have seen it.

Following Ed's suit, a few comments on Vamp's reviews, at least on the ones I've seen.

Eddie and the Cruisers

Anyway, I can’t say I really liked this movie because I didn’t. I don’t know if it was all they hype surrounding it for all these years, or if it was just that I didn’t think it was too good of a movie...
It reminded me of an old ABC After School Special movie.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
I got a kick out of Meatloaf as his father...
Am I the only person in this Hof who didn't know the father was Meatloaf? It never even dawned on me until I read you guys comments.

Coal Miner’s Daughter
I know what I know of Loretta Lynn. And what I know varies from some of her music to her supposed haunted house that she lives in to the fact that Crystal Gayle is her sister.
I had known, but then forgot that Crystal Gayle was her sister. It wasn't tell I read it here that I remembered. I wonder how long Crystal's hair is by now?

The Buddy Holly Story
He was OK doing his own singing. I appreciate it. But he could NEVER come close to the voice that Buddy had. It just would never happen.
Totally agree with that. I'm glad Gary Busey didn't lip sync Buddy's music, in some ways that would have seemed disrespectful.

Sweet Dreams It can be hard to get invested in a movie when you have little interest in the subject of said movie. I knew little except from my room mate who loves her and she didn't know too much of her personal history except that she was a "tough ole girl" so, for me, it was intriguing to see. Especially with two people I'm a fan of: Lange and Harris.
Did your roommate watch this with you then? How did she like it? I think Jessica Lange is pretty good, but I really love Ed Harris. I think he is one of those actors that doesn't get enough credit for his performances.

The Wall You. Are dead to me.

looking forward to your reivew of Amadeus.
You'll like that one when I finally get around to writing it.

Eddie and the Cruisers I also haven't seen this though I won't be letting the hype influence me since you weren't the first person to remark on such.
The problem is that I try to ignore hype, but I have heard about this film for so many years now that I figured there had to be something to make it have such a lasting impression on people. Too bad it didn't do anything for me.

School of Rock Out of curiosity, did you see this before or after Tenacious D? I'm a bit intrigued to see how this fares for me. Been ages since I last saw it.
Technically speaking, I saw this before Tenacious D. I saw it years ago. I just disliked it so very, very much. When I watched it for this HoF, I saw it AFTER Tenacious D. I ended loving it. Like I said, who knows where my mind was all those years ago for me to dislike it so much back then?

The Commitments Count me as one who enjoyed this. The music hit this Detroit/Motown boy where he lives YAY
In case you do happen to miss what I posted last night to you , I will post it again:
what did you want to say about The Commitments? I know you wanted to bring something up about the characters - or I think some of the situations that they were in - but you wanted to wait until others have seen it.

Am I the only person in this Hof who didn't know the father was Meatloaf?

I had known, but then forgot that Crystal Gayle was her sister. It wasn't tell I read it here that I remembered. I wonder how long Crystal's hair is by now?
When I was a kid, I was just in love with her hair. I, too, had long, brown hair (still do, actually ), but I always wanted it to be as long as hers. My mom never let me do it. I have actually been letting it grow just to see when it finally stops growing. My hair isn't too straight, but when I pull it straight, it goes to my waist (otherwise it looks like it only goes to mid-back). So I still have quite awhile to go before I can get to the Crystal Gayle length.

yes, CR, you ARE the only one who didn't recognize Meatloaf.

hey, SV, didn't watch Sweet Dreams with my room mate, didn't have a chance to. Perhaps at another time. She's a fan of Lange and Harris as well.

When I wrote the review for the Commitments I wanted to let others see it before talking opening about the way everyone were constantly fighting back stage and then coming together so well on stage. I just got a kick out of that aspect and didn't want to ruin anything for those going in blind.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can't keep up with this forum😢. I'm new here so could do with some assistance!

@dannii, The thread that you stumbled into is a "Hall of Fame" thread.

There are several HoFs that are going on right now, but the HoF threads are different from "normal" discussion threads because people join them by nominating a movie, and agreeing to watch all of the movies that are nominated by everyone who joins that HoF. Everyone who joins the HoF has to watch all of the movies that are nominated, and write their thoughts about the movies in the thread.

After they're done watching all the nominated movies, they send a private message with a ranked list of all the movies, (ranked from 1-? of their favorite movie to their least favorite movie), to the host, (the person who started the thread). After everyone has sent in their lists, the host calculates the lists to determine which movie came in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., and the top movie is declared the winner.

This HoF already started, so it's too late to join, but you're always welcome to watch the movies and join in the discussions.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny:

Sadly, (but probably not surprisingly), I don't have much good to say about this movie. I liked the concept about finding the "pick of destiny", and going up against the devil through music, (kind of like the song "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"), but I didn't like much else about the movie.

The movie is not my type of humor, and the songs are definitely not my kind of music. This could be one of the dumbest movies that I've ever seen. It glorifies the use of drugs, and it's just not funny.

But on the lighter side, the Sasquatch scene reminded me a little bit of the old Saturday morning Kroft Superstars TV shows.

Sorry.

School of Rock

After watching the other Jack Black movie, I wasn't looking forward to this movie, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this movie. I didn't care much for the music, but the movie was pretty good.

At the beginning of the movie, I expected it to be just another dumb movie, but by the time he started as the teacher, I started to like the movie. I liked the way Jack Black interacted with the kids. He seemed to care about them almost as much as he cared about the music, and by the end of the movie, he seemed to care about them more than the music.

Jack Black and Joan Cusack were both very good in this movie, and even the kids were all likable, which was a nice surprise. There's usually at least 1 or 2 kids that I can't stand watching, but that didn't happen here.

Surprisingly, this was a very good nom.

Ahhhhh thank you for the lowdown! I'm stumbling into all kinds of mischief as it's my very first time that i've joined a forum. I'm having fun though getting to read about films and tv programmes.i started a game of hangman 2 nites ago and didn't get to finish it as was at work, received a private message telling me off! 😆