The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oh I didnt realise that was a silent film.
It seems that we have 5 silent films in this HoF. And I, for some reason, thought I was going to be the only one nominating one. Needless to say I was very pleased to see others had nominated some, too.

I wish those singers weren't so harsh on the ears though.
You're actually nit-picking the trio of singers? Those poor little guys.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, I finally got to watch a couple of the noms last night. I enjoyed both, immensely.

A Dog's Life (Charlie Chaplin, 1918)
@Camo

I'm glad there's some silent shorts in this Hof. I really enjoy them. Silent films are a much different viewing experiencing than the typical blockbuster movie. Silent films are more akin to reading a book as they require active participation. I like em!

Chaplin is a genius! I laughed out loud, and that's more than I can say for most modern comedies. I loved the opening scene where the little tramp is sleeping in a vacant city lot, laying on the dirt in the cold and trying to keep warm. There's an old rickety fence and he stuffs his handkerchief in a little knot hole to keep the cold air of his backside, then...he uses a piece of pipe for a hand muff...ha! That was clever.

The homeless dog that he rescues was way cute, and together they made a charming pair of lovable rogues. And that's the genius of Chaplin, his little tramp character is someone the working class person could relate to, even admire...and even though he's down an out, he has a mischievous side and is not above stealing food or drinks for comedy sake.

Peace on Earth (Hugh Harman, 1939) @SilentVamp

I had seen this one before. It's one of the few animated shorts that has stayed with me. I'm glad it was nominated so now I know what it's title is.

Wow! This must have blown audiences away back in 1939...with the world about to go mad as world war broke out and millions would die. It's a very gutsy film and I'm surprised it got made.

I haven't read any of the other reviews yet, but I seen some talk about if this was overly religious or not.....IMO this is not a Christian themed animation. Think about it: the heart of Christianity is that man is created special in the image of God and above the animals. This film takes a 180 degree turn from that idea and says that there is only Peace on Earth after man is gone. That's the last thing we here from Grampa squirrel as he turns towards us, laughs and says: "Peace on Earth, he-he...yes suree..Peace on Earth"

The message is, it's only going to be Peach on Earth when the evil war mongering humans are all gone. That's not a Christian theme.

Another fine nom!

very happy to hear you enjoy Chaplin. Absolutely LOVE that man! AND I can't even remember the last time I saw this feature, so having @Camo nominate it is an added treat.

I also tried to avoid your second review since I haven't seen it and holding off to see it before reading the discussion that started up about it, but couldn't help myself. REALLY like your closing remark for this one.

...I also tried to avoid your second review since I haven't seen it...
That's understandable. I hope you enjoyed the photos. I thought it was kind of neat to see Charlie Chaplin without his make up and mustache.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Tht's a stunning photo of him.

I thought it was kind of neat to see Charlie Chaplin without his make up and mustache.
You'd seen him without his make-up before, hadn't you?

Cameraman's Revenge. Wow. Absolutely brilliant, and such horny characters! I really enjoyed that. Very clever. Nice choice CR.

Cameraman's Revenge. Wow. Absolutely brilliant, and such horny characters! I really enjoyed that. Very clever. Nice choice CR.
Glad you liked it, Miss Vicky reviewed it on her movie log thread. I had never heard of it. But who can resist, stop motion animated dead insects! It's just too odd not to watch.

I didnt even know that technique was around bck then. Really excellent, and I loved the score.

At this rate I think I;m going to have to vote all the noms except myself as winners.

The Envelope Spacey is one of those actors I just love to watch and it was quite a joy seeing him bring the, nearly child-like enthusiasm that occurred when waiting on the postman.
There is mentioned in the opening and after the credits that it is inspired by similar events that occurred in the 30's which added a nice touch to this sentimental short.

also, from @gbgoodies

The Ventriloquist While this story is a very common one, Spacey is VERY good at bringing out another touching and sentimental performance with this one as well.

I enjoyed both of these, gbg, thank you

Glad you liked it, Miss Vicky reviewed it on her movie log thread. I had never heard of it. But who can resist, stop motion animated dead insects! It's just too odd not to watch.
Just finished reading, not only her review, but the article she found it on. Like so many others, this is another I'm excited to see.

The Cameraman's Revenge (Wladyslaw Starewicz, 1912)

This was one of my noms. It's probably the most unusual short in the Hof. Where else are you going to see a 105 year old movie with stop-motion animated dead bugs? These bugs live quite the soap opera life! Who knew?

More interesting, than entertaining...I mean how much character development can you get from the dead bugs?

Everything will be OK

I tried to give this a go but it's not working for me. Sorry Neibs. Might have to tweak my mindset to finish it, but it's not my thing generally.

The Cameraman's Revenge (1912)
Dir. Ladislav Starevich

This is a very impressive example of early stop-motion animation. The insects are so well articulated, that their characters' emotions are very easy to distinguish. It's a very charming film that's also pretty funny, with an amusing take on your typical cheating spouse melodrama. The amount of work that must have gone into this film is simply astonishing, with the scene where we see the artist painting being particularly impressive to me.

La Maison en Petits Cubes /
つみきのいえ (2008)
Dir. Kunio Katô

I was not a fan of the animation in this at all. The perspective seemed way off at times, particularly with the tables. It was, however, a very nice little story. I like how more and more of the widowers' past is revealed the deeper he swims, with each block of his house containing its own story about a different time in his life. It was very sweet and pleasant to watch, I just wish the visual style was different.

gonna try to knock out a few more of these this evening. The cheating insects should be all kinds of fun
It is. They're hilarious.

One of the most interesting aspects of The Cameraman's Revenge is the mono color tinting of the different scenes. That tinting was original and was done at the time by soaking the film in a dye emulsion.

The colors have different meanings. The more common color tinting denotes a place or time or emotion being represented.

Amber Tint is used for inside of buildings during daytime.

Orange Tint
is used for inside of buildings, at night time.

Yellow Tint is sunshine and used for outside daytime scenes.

Blue Tint is used for nightime, outdoor scenes.

Red Tint used for heat or fire, also sometimes used for intense danger or red hot passion.

Purple/Lavender Tint is used for romantic scenes.

Green Tint is used for forest or nature scenes.

When you guys watch The Cameraman's Revenge try and remember what the color tinting means, and see if it matches up to what's in the film.